PDA

View Full Version : I got a new laptop!

setem
3/3/2008, 02:30 PM
HOORAY FOR ME!

I had an Averitec 3200 that tiny and I loved it. I always had a problem with the back light on the lcd and recently it went completely dead!

Now I have a Toshiba - Satellite 2330 from BESTBUY not a good experience with those guys but the laptop is top drawer if you ask me!

VISTA SUCKS MY BUTT!:pop:

soonerboomer93
3/3/2008, 02:36 PM
not a bad price

vista would run better if you had more then 1 gb of ram and didn't have integrated graphics

Hot Rod
3/3/2008, 03:01 PM
A friend of mine ordered his wife a new laptop for Christmas from Dell and got XP on it. I don't know how long that lasts or if it still does.

soonerboomer93
3/3/2008, 03:13 PM
with dell, it depends on the model, not all have xp available

i think the vostro's and the latitudes have it as an option

Jimminy Crimson
3/3/2008, 03:19 PM
...and didn't have integrated graphics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v338/LongJohn81/ThatsRacist.gif

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 03:20 PM
with dell, it depends on the model, not all have xp available

i think the vostro's and the latitudes have it as an option

you can get XP on the vostro through Dell Business. i did. not a remarkable machine or looks like Frank Gehry designed it...but gets the job done. construction much sturdier than Toshiba, IMO. the BEstBuy, Staples, etc. stuff all comes with Vista (HP, Toshiba) and most have less than 1 g of RAM. that's just crazy with all the bloatware and trial stuff they package with.

yermom
3/3/2008, 03:32 PM
i tried using a hotel computer in January with Vista and 512MB of RAM

it was like pulling teeth trying to get that thing to just configure a printer and print off an email

i'm not sure what kinda moron configured that system... 512MB isn't really enough to run XP anymore

LilSooner
3/3/2008, 03:43 PM
My only caution with the toshiba is watch the power source. It gets over heated very quickly and after about a year or two it seems that that the welds break and it stops charging.

I had two toshiba's and both did the same thing now I have a gateway and absolutely love it.

soonerbrat
3/3/2008, 04:07 PM
I'll alert the media

Mjcpr
3/3/2008, 04:08 PM
I'll alert the media

Hobson?

Ike
3/3/2008, 04:13 PM
My only caution with the toshiba is watch the power source. It gets over heated very quickly and after about a year or two it seems that that the welds break and it stops charging.

I had two toshiba's and both did the same thing now I have a gateway and absolutely love it.

I'll second this (or third it). I had a satellite that suffered from the power jack coming loose after a year or so. I had to put a new one on twice, and may have fried the mainboard in the process....

But I love my apple now. :)

setem
3/3/2008, 04:39 PM
I got it with 2 gigs in it. I just do not like the way Vista runs with all the security checks. I guess it is good for being safe and all that but it get old after a while.

I love that it came with Media Center in it. I can play movies and music through my x box over our network! We had a wireless media center for a while that sucked a big one this seems like it is going to be pretty kick ***. When I get paid next week I am going to buy a wireless adapter for the x box and a live subscription.

Anyone play games online?

I will keep an eye out for the power jack. Thanks for the heads up!

soonerboomer93
3/3/2008, 05:08 PM
you can get XP on the vostro through Dell Business. i did. not a remarkable machine or looks like Frank Gehry designed it...but gets the job done. construction much sturdier than Toshiba, IMO. the BEstBuy, Staples, etc. stuff all comes with Vista (HP, Toshiba) and most have less than 1 g of RAM. that's just crazy with all the bloatware and trial stuff they package with.

Best buy had an Acer for 499 a few weeks ago, 2 gigs ram even
x64 dc processor (can't remember the speed)
sent one to C and she hasn't complained about it at all

i bought a refurb xp m1330 from dell
fully loaded, had no vista problems at all

but it had the 14.1" screen instead of a 15.4

soonerboomer93
3/3/2008, 05:12 PM
just turn off the security check

you can do one under users, and then i also have the security center turned off because it wants to show an alert for me having account control off

Sooner_Havok
3/3/2008, 06:16 PM
But I love my apple now. :)

I haven't heard anyone say anything different in the last 10 years. I have people tell me I was an idiot for buying an apple, those same people think that Vista is great.

My mom bought a Toshiba Satellite about the same time I bought my G4, hers now sits in my room with a fried mother board (Power supply kept crapping out after the warranty expired and the last one torched the mother board) and I use it for parts to fix my girlfriend's Satellite. My G4 on the other hand still works perfectly. Not white anymore though :(

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 09:27 PM
Best buy had an Acer for 499 a few weeks ago, 2 gigs ram even
x64 dc processor (can't remember the speed)
sent one to C and she hasn't complained about it at all

i think the manufacturers are starting to catch on re: Vista and ram. i noticed one of the Toshiba models i was interested in BestBuy and Circuit City are now stocking with 2 g RAM.

I'm an apple guy from back inna day but i bought a stinker G3 powerbook man and it killed me financially as a phd student. it was OS 9, but it was just bad luck/bad machine. it was like throwing 2000$ away. is till have an imac in my office, but it's just for email and some word docs at this point.

since then, i've been pretty frugal about computer buys and seeing them as having a limited life span (and easily, inevitably technologically outpaced across their lifetime) and as such paying the extra 500$ for the Apple logo hasn't appealed to me. i thought about ponying up for the black macbook since i wanted a *real* optical drive and the other stuff but getting a PC was 600$ less with all the same specs. 600$ buys me a plane ticket for summer vacation in some exotic clime.

i buy storage. the machines come and go. that said, my old Dell desktop is a champ. 7 years, no problems. (knock on wood).

soonerboomer93
3/3/2008, 09:33 PM
i've looked at apples, there's just no way i can go with one. I'm just going to have to wipe it and install windows because all my main programs run on windows only. I do spend the money on a dell xps for myself because i need the extra processor speed and memory. I actually save several hundred by getting a referb though.

If I was just using it for surfing the web and didn't need the capability to run large sql databases on the laptop, then I would just go with a much cheaper model.

Sooner_Havok
3/4/2008, 12:35 AM
i've looked at apples, there's just no way i can go with one. I'm just going to have to wipe it and install windows because all my main programs run on windows only. I do spend the money on a dell xps for myself because i need the extra processor speed and memory. I actually save several hundred by getting a referb though.

If I was just using it for surfing the web and didn't need the capability to run large sql databases on the laptop, then I would just go with a much cheaper model.

Boot camp is your friend

King Crimson
3/4/2008, 12:49 AM
Boot camp is your friend

OK, yer a partisan guy. admit it?

bootcamp is stupid.

a guy has needs and being a PC guy works for him.

this apple bullshizz about converting people is lame.

i've been been using apple machines since before there was an internet. god bless La Gore.

buy a machine, use it.

Sooner_Havok
3/4/2008, 01:25 AM
OK, yer a partisan guy. admit it?

bootcamp is stupid.

a guy has needs and being a PC guy works for him.

this apple bullshizz about converting people is lame.

i've been been using apple machines since before there was an internet. god bless La Gore.

buy a machine, use it.

Why is boot camp stupid? Can a dell run OS X?

Yeah, I am on the side of apple on this. I had a PC, it kept upsetting me greatly with its slow load times, and constant hour glassing when I wasn't trying to do anything more than click the start bar. When I first switched, the lack of Mac programs kind of got to me, but after a while, I found alternatives for most (not all) PC programs. The lack of games still kind of sucks, but I wasn't a huge gamer so it got over that pretty quick.

Consumer Reports did rate the new intel Macs as the best hardware configuration to run Vista :D

Truthfully, Macs SUCKED for a great long while. But IMHO, while MS was sitting up in Redmond counting their cash and not improving their OS, Apple quietly improved their product. Both might have the flaws, but at least one is trying to improve while the other is still counting it cash.

Oh, and when they aren't playing OU, I root for the under dog :D

Ike
3/4/2008, 03:46 AM

well...yes they can. It takes some hacking and some work, but do a search for "hackintosh".

Yeah, I am on the side of apple on this. I had a PC, it kept upsetting me greatly with its slow load times, and constant hour glassing when I wasn't trying to do anything more than click the start bar. When I first switched, the lack of Mac programs kind of got to me, but after a while, I found alternatives for most (not all) PC programs. The lack of games still kind of sucks, but I wasn't a huge gamer so it got over that pretty quick.

Consumer Reports did rate the new intel Macs as the best hardware configuration to run Vista :D

Truthfully, Macs SUCKED for a great long while. But IMHO, while MS was sitting up in Redmond counting their cash and not improving their OS, Apple quietly improved their product. Both might have the flaws, but at least one is trying to improve while the other is still counting it cash.

Im a mac convert now too...I love it because it just works, and has everything that I need. Granted, it's sometimes tougher to view/edit windows specific formats, but in my line of work, there aren't many of those. At meetings, people get chastised if they upload powerpoint slides in .ppt format...because about 60% of the users use linux...

Oh, and regardless of what the best hardware to run vista on is, I wouldn't let it touch a single machine of mine.

I used to be an only-windows guy...after win98 though, my exasperation with windows started growing and has never really stopped.

yermom
3/4/2008, 05:43 AM

yep. i used and grudgingly supported Macs before OS X. it was night and day after that though.

i've been a laptop convert since the Titanium Powerbook came out. i've yet to see a laptop put together as well. unless you have specific needs otherwise, it's tough to beat an Apple laptop

they are expensive though, you can beat the price

King Crimson
3/4/2008, 08:04 AM
my point about bootcamp is that if you pony up buy a mac, it's kinda dumb not to run OS 10.

i use OS 10 and Windows and Xubuntu on different machines. i'm no computer guru but it's part of my job. i find em to all do what i need them to do. and i ain't gonna slag anyone for using either if it works for them. being a partisan is not worth my time. to me, with about 1200$ to spend i got more value with a PC than a macbook. a lot more. say what you want, but you are paying for the logo.

soonerbrat
3/4/2008, 08:11 AM
boot camp? forget it. I'm too old to join the military

soonerboomer93
3/4/2008, 08:51 AM
exactly, boot camp is just me throwing away money
I wouldn't even run OS X on the mac, it would just be running windows

sorry, but the new xps machines from dell have atleast equivalent hardware to a mac, and actually very very good build quality

the only thing macbooks have that I want for my notebook, is the magsafe power adapter

oh, and the price difference between my dell and the mac, without including boot camp and vista ultimate is $800

King Crimson
3/4/2008, 09:09 AM
if i had all the money in the world to spend i'd get a mac. i've been using apples for 20 years. but, for what i'm willing to spend on a machine that does what i need it to do....the eggstra 500 or 800$ i ain't gonna do it when in 12 months i'm gonna want something else.

setem
3/4/2008, 11:05 AM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/loldog-cute-puppies-it-puppy-hates-vista.jpg