NU
CU
OSU
KSU
ISU
BU

_________________________ _________________________ _________________

Here's the article: Big 12 Spring Primer

Take a quick look at the position battles, coaching changes and other key factors to pay attention to during spring practices around the Big 12 Conference.

Daniel, Maclin make Tigers an early favorite

By Tim Griffin ESPN.com
February 29, 2008, 4:42 PM ET

A caste system exists as the Big 12 heads into spring practice. Five teams -- Oklahoma, Missouri, Texas, Texas Tech and Kansas -- have legitimate shots at the conference title and a BCS appearance. All of the others with the exception of Baylor should have bowl hopes.

Missouri returns two Heisman Trophy candidates in Chase Daniel and Jeremy Maclin. Texas Tech has the most returning talent. Kansas has confidence developed by its surprising 12-1 record in 2007, but the Jayhawks will be facing a significantly more difficult schedule. Usual conference favorites Oklahoma and Texas have talent, but questions to answer. OU is the two-time defending conference champion, but how will the Sooners recover from a second straight Fiesta Bowl loss? Texas endured the biggest staff transformation in Mack Brown's tenure.

Here's how the Big 12 teams rank heading into spring practice.

1. Missouri Tigers

What we know: The Tigers lost few key players and return the conference's best quarterback (Chase Daniel) and most explosive receiving/return threat (Jeremy Maclin).

What we don't know: If the Tigers will find one replacement for tailback Tony Temple or have to rely on a rotation of players.

How the Tigers can get to Kansas City: By continuing the defensive improvement that marked the second half of their 2007 season.

2. Oklahoma Sooners

What we know: The Sooners will be angry coming off their second straight Fiesta Bowl loss and use that embarrassing defeat as motivation.

What we don't know: If brittle LB Ryan Reynolds really can fill the huge void left by Curtis Lofton's surprise departure for the NFL.

How the Sooners can get to Kansas City: Keeping QB Sam Bradford healthy and developing playmakers to replace Lofton, wide receiver Malcolm Kelly and corner Reggie Smith.

3. Texas Longhorns

What we know: Spring practice will be a lot more animated for the Longhorns' defense with the arrival of new coordinator Will Muschamp.

What we don't know: Whether Vondrell McGee or another back will emerge as Jamaal Charles' replacement. Whoever wins the job will be running behind one of the best lines in college football.

How the Longhorns can get to Kansas City: By responding to the tougher edge that will be a mantra from Brown's retooled coaching staff. Beating Oklahoma wouldn't hurt, either.

4. Texas Tech Red Raiders

What we know: With the return of 18 starters, expectations are shooting through the roof in Lubbock.

What we don't know: If the defense can take another step forward under new coordinator Ruffin McNeill. The Raiders' defense played better down the stretch last season, but it must take another step forward to move from good to great.

How the Red Raiders can get to Kansas City: If the defense keeps improving and Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree both produce another monster season.

5. Kansas Jayhawks

What we know: Mark Mangino's orchestrated the most dramatic turnaround in the nation. It will be interesting to see how the Jayhawks respond to last season's success.

What we don't know: How the Kansas defense will respond to the switch from veteran former coordinator Bill Young to Clint Bowen, who will be making calls for the first time in his career.

How the Jayhawks can get to Kansas City: By handling the increased expectations, while navigating through a significantly more difficult schedule.

6. Texas A&M Aggies

What we know: New coach Mike Sherman inherited one of the nation's most potent starting backfields in QB Stephen McGee and running backs Jorvorskie Lane and Mike Goodson.

What we don't know: Whether new defensive coordinator Joe Kines can find replacements for the front seven.

How the Aggies can get to Kansas City: Kines needs to return the Aggie defense back to its Wrecking Crew roots.

7. Nebraska Cornhuskers

What we know: New coach Bo Pelini's biggest recruiting catch was convincing I-back Marlon Lucky to return for his senior season.

What we don't know: If the Cornhuskers will ever get their swagger back on defense. Hiring Pelini is a big start.

How the Cornhuskers can get to Kansas City: If Pelini's presence pumps some new life in the Blackshirts and QB Joe Ganz continues playing like he did in November.

8. Colorado Buffaloes

What we know: Colorado coach Dan Hawkins has the Buffaloes steered in the right direction and has a lot of talented players returning.

What we don't know: If the offensive firepower can be substantially boosted in the spring. But that problem should be alleviated as soon as heralded tailback Darrell Scott arrives on campus this summer.

How the Buffaloes can get to Kansas City: If linebacker Michael Sipili fills the void left by Jordon Dizon and Scott has a Herschel Walker-like freshman season.

9. Oklahoma State Cowboys

What we know: The arrival of six juco defensive players among the Cowboys' recruiting class should provide an immediate impact for a unit that often struggled in 2007.

What we don't know: If heralded juco running back Beau Johnson can fill the void left after Dantrell Savage's departure.

How the Cowboys can get to Kansas City: With marked improvement defensively, continued improvement from QB Zac Robinson and a couple of upsets along the way.

10. Kansas State Wildcats

What we know: That Ian Campbell is a more productive player at defensive end than at linebacker. He'll get his chance to return there this spring.

What we don't know: If QB Josh Freeman will respond to the philosophy of new coordinator Dave Brock, who will also be searching for playmakers to replace Jordy Nelson and James Johnson.

How the Wildcats can get to Kansas City: By getting a huge boost from their juco heavy class, particularly on defense after last season's late collapse.

11. Iowa State Cyclones

What we know: Coach Gene Chizik is more confident about the talent on hand than might be expected. The Cyclones signed only one juco player in their recent recruiting class.

What we don't know: How athletic the Cyclones can be. Losing WR Todd Blythe and QB Bret Meyer has played a premium on developing playmakers.

How the Cyclones can get to Kansas City: A trip to ISU's first Big 12 championship still is a huge reach, but returning to a bowl isn't out of the question. The players have gravitated to Chizik's philosophy and ISU will be facing an easier schedule in 2008.

12. Baylor Bears

What we know: The Bears' quarterback battle will be the conference's most interesting this spring. Competition will be fierce between returning record-breaking 2007 starter Blake Szymanski, Miami transfer Kirby Freeman and heralded recruit Robert Griffin.

What we don't know: If new coach Art Briles' big-play offense will work at a program without many playmakers.

How the Bears can get to Kansas City: By buying tickets to watch the Chiefs play. But Briles' team should build some confidence during an accommodating early schedule featuring five of its first six games at home.

Tim Griffin is a college football writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Tim at [email protected].

auto
3/3/2008, 01:49 PM
Chase is the Best QB?
Texas Has the the best OL?

They must of watched some different games than I did last year.

Dan Thompson
3/3/2008, 02:07 PM
I smell a threepeat

Youngsooner
3/3/2008, 02:15 PM
CHASE DANIEL FOR HEISMAN :rolleyes:

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 02:18 PM
typical EPSN. more narrative than analysis.

CU doesn't return a lot of talented players coming back. they have *some* talented players coming back and the same depth chart mess they had last year.

and i doubt (while it's good "sports journalism" fodder) that OU is using losing a semi-meaningless BCS game to WVU as a motivation for 2008-09.

most people who post regularly on a CFB message board in the Big XII could "one-off" a stupid POS like this in about 20 minutes. just because some doof at ESPN did the same thing, no reason to bow down and pray to almighty ESPN.

Saueyman
3/3/2008, 02:45 PM
most people who post regularly on a CFB message board in the Big XII could "one-off" a stupid POS like this in about 20 minutes. just because some doof at ESPN did the same thing, no reason to bow down and pray to almighty ESPN.

I couldn't agree more. IMO all ESPN writers are noobs...just saying

Sco
3/3/2008, 05:45 PM
How the Bears can get to Kansas City: By buying tickets to watch the Chiefs play. But Briles' team should build some confidence during an accommodating early schedule featuring five of its first six games at home.

Mwa ha ha ha!

goingoneight
3/3/2008, 11:00 PM
Missouri is in for a disappointing season, IMHO. A lot of people are predicting them to have a one-loss or two-loss season, BIG 12 Champs, BCS bound, etc... they lost a lot of talent and one key injury (we all know who) could be the death of them. Mizzou puts up nice passing numbers, but we all saw what happens when you get in their face.

I just don't see them going far this year. What did they really do last year? Won a turnover battle and caught KU's kicker with his pants down? Beat an overrated Illinois team? Beat a coachless (and overrated as well) Arkansas team?

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 11:07 PM
Missouri is in for a disappointing season, IMHO. A lot of people are predicting them to have a one-loss or two-loss season, BIG 12 Champs, BCS bound, etc... they lost a lot of talent and one key injury (we all know who) could be the death of them. Mizzou puts up nice passing numbers, but we all saw what happens when you get in their face.

I just don't see them going far this year. What did they really do last year? Won a turnover battle and caught KU's kicker with his pants down? Beat an overrated Illinois team? Beat a coachless (and overrated as well) Arkansas team?

Missouri was pretty good last year. i'd give them their due. it could have been easily said after the 99 OU game at Colorado "we all saw what happens when you get in Josh Heupel's face". i wouldn't sell out Daniel just yet.

I'm not a huge fan of Pinkel, but they are a team to reckon with in the "new north". KU and CU are in that category as well.

bri
3/3/2008, 11:27 PM
Chase is the Best QB?
Texas Has the the best OL?

They must of watched some different games than I did last year.

I'll give you QB (although Chase was more consistent on the road than Sammy was), but after watching WVU's defensive front run circles around our O-line in the Fiesta, if we have the best OL in the conference, then our conference is in trouble. :(

illinisooner
3/3/2008, 11:31 PM

I don't know, I think they're still the team to beat in the north. I do agree that their accolades were a little inflated last year; that Illinois win (which no one took great note of at the time, no one expected the Orange and Blue to be BCS bound) came with Juice Williams out most of the game...and they intercepted a potential Illini TD in the end zone. They let an overrated Kansas team hang around and come back, and Arkansas was a little overrated as well, coming off that win at LSU.

Didn't all of their skill players on offense, save Tony Temple, come back 2008? I don't know what they lost on defense, or who they bring back, but it wasn't really that great last year. Maclin probably won't have as good of a season as last year, since teams can game plan for him a little better. But they've got alot of confidence and the only tough road game on their schedule is at Austin. Neutral site games against Illinois and Kansas will be interesting though; they'll probably lose one of the two. That being said...I still see them going to the CCG in KC, with a shot at revenge against us.

SoonerKnight
3/4/2008, 12:22 AM
Mizzou
OU
Texas
TT
KU
A&M
NU
CU
OSU
KSU
ISU
BU

_________________________ _________________________ _________________

Tim Griffin is a college football writer for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Tim at [email protected].

this is classic I should make this my new sig.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 01:28 AM
I'll give you QB (although Chase was more consistent on the road than Sammy was), but after watching WVU's defensive front run circles around our O-line in the Fiesta, if we have the best OL in the conference, then our conference is in trouble. :(
I agree, our O-Line needs to step it up this year...meaning play to their potential and limit the damn stupid azz penalties.

I guess I'm a little surprised that they call Chase the best QB (but not too surprised, after all that pouting booger eater got a lot of love last year from the media), and I guess I'm a little surprised the sand aggies are supposed to have the best returning talent. But then again, I haven't analyzed tech's roster at all.

Salt City Sooner
3/4/2008, 01:57 AM
I agree, our O-Line needs to step it up this year...meaning play to their potential and limit the damn stupid azz penalties.

I guess I'm a little surprised that they call Chase the best QB (but not too surprised, after all that pouting booger eater got a lot of love last year from the media), and I guess I'm a little surprised the sand aggies are supposed to have the best returning talent. But then again, I haven't analyzed tech's roster at all.
Doesn't say best, it says most. A little bit of a difference there. ;)

SicEmBaylor
3/4/2008, 02:18 AM
It looks like we have lured the conference and nation into a false sense of security and we have you just EXACTLY where we want you.

B-E-W-A-R-E

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 08:38 AM
Doesn't say best, it says most. A little bit of a difference there. ;)
True, true.

Also,it says we have questions to answer? What are they considering questions. I guess maybe the following?....how consistent will the O-Line perform, what's with the bowl meltdowns, who will replace Kelly, who will play MLB.
My answers:
I think (hope)the O-Line will be much improved, as far as less penalties and playing consistently good. Now that they've got last year's game film to sit down and see what went wrong at times.

I have no good answer for the bowl meltdowns, other than outplayed and outcoached....but the bowl outcomes shouldn't matter when we're talking about best team in the conference. Cause we've been the best team in the conference yet still metled down in the bowl.

We've got proven playmakers for our passing game and in specific, lots of talent at WR alone.

Although thin at the LB area..we've got proven talent at LB in Ryan Reynolds and the newcomers look good on paper...and don't they know we always have great LB talent?

King Crimson
3/4/2008, 08:42 AM
It looks like we have lured the conference and nation into a false sense of security and we have you just EXACTLY where we want you.

B-E-W-A-R-E

yeah right. Briles is the same coach you hired last time with a different name.

I also remember you pimping the previous coach.

OU-HSV
3/4/2008, 08:45 AM
.....B-E-W-A-R-E, motor oil and anti-freeze don't mix
fixed
:D

Sco
3/4/2008, 05:46 PM

B-E-W-A-R-E

.......?

:pop:

Saueyman
3/5/2008, 02:33 AM

Haha...thats funny:P

picasso
3/6/2008, 01:23 PM
THE oSu is numba 9?????????

cheezyq
3/6/2008, 01:34 PM

LOL. But don't forget, they're a team on the rise. In a couple of years, they is gonna beat us "gooners".

;)

r5TPsooner
3/6/2008, 04:25 PM
If Lofton returns they pick OU over MU IMHO.

Hopefully, we'll get a Big XII Title rematch come December.

picasso
3/6/2008, 04:57 PM
1. Missouri Tigers

What we know: The Tigers lost few key players and return the conference's best booger picking quarterback (Chase Daniel) and most explosive receiving/return threat (Jeremy Maclin).

What we don't know: If the Tigers will find one replacement for tailback Tony Temple or have to rely on a rotation of players.

How the Tigers can get to Kansas City: By continuing the defensive improvement that marked the second half of their 2007 season and avoiding dry, booger causing air.

:eek:

NYC Poke
3/6/2008, 08:14 PM

That puts us solidly in the top 75% of the Big XII.

Blitzkrieg
3/7/2008, 10:39 AM
CD is the best QB in the league, it's really not that hard to grasp. Too bad we didn't see that one.

Maclin is the most explosive player in the league, their D is solid, Mu will be aload next year. Luckily, we have their number.

Youngsooner
3/7/2008, 02:03 PM
If Lofton returns they pick OU over MU IMHO.

Amen... Lofton=Daniels Kryptonite