stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 12:44 PM
As per DOK...Good luck Mike

NorthernIowaSooner
3/3/2008, 12:46 PM
from the DO

By Jake Trotter
Staff Writer
NORMAN — The Mike Reed era at Oklahoma has officially ended.

The OU sports information office confirmed Monday morning that Reed is no longer on the Sooner football team.

The junior-college middle linebacker came to Norman with much fanfare as the top prospect out of the 2007 recruiting class.

But Reed never made an impact on the field and was beaten out on the depth chart by Curtis Lofton, who would eventually be named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year.

Sooner coach Bob Stoops said earlier this month that Ryan Reynolds would be given a chance this spring to replace Lofton at middle linebacker.

OU also signed junior-college transfer Mike Balogun, who is expected to be on campus in the summer.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 12:46 PM
Mike Reed (http://newsok.com/article/3211343)

TheUnnamedSooner
3/3/2008, 12:48 PM
I hope he didn't get into trouble.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 12:52 PM
I doubt its trouble...probably more of the same situations he faced this last season

TheUnnamedSooner
3/3/2008, 01:22 PM
I forgot about that. Hope all is well with him.

sooneron
3/3/2008, 01:34 PM
Good Luck, MIke.

soonerfan28
3/3/2008, 01:56 PM
So does this free up another scholarship?
Is their really anyone we want now?
Just curious.

Rhino
3/3/2008, 02:08 PM
So does this free up another scholarship?
Is their really anyone we want now?
Just curious. It does and it will either go to a walk-on or a mid-semester player.

There is one more kid that we considered picking up late in the recruiting game, maybe we take a shot at him.

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 02:13 PM
I doubt its trouble...probably more of the same situations he faced this last season

best to him.

too bad, would have liked to see it work out for Mike at OU.

soonerfan28
3/3/2008, 02:35 PM
It does and it will either go to a walk-on or a mid-semester player.

There is one more kid that we considered picking up late in the recruiting game, maybe we take a shot at him.

Was that Jordan Fields?

Boomer.....
3/3/2008, 02:54 PM
Hope everything works out for him and his family. Taking care of your family is always more important.

oupride
3/3/2008, 03:15 PM
Best of luck Mike!

Desert Sapper
3/3/2008, 03:46 PM
Best of luck, Mike Reed. I was really hoping he could make an impact this season, but family should always come first.

DFQGrounds
3/3/2008, 03:55 PM
Best of luck to Mike -- nice to see that family does matter to some people.

starrca23
3/3/2008, 03:56 PM
Ditto what Snapper said...it is a shame that it has to be that way, but it would be more of a shame if family wasn't the top priority.

Beef
3/3/2008, 04:47 PM
I hope he gets some financial aid and finishes his education. Hopefully at OU.

MextheBulldog
3/3/2008, 06:06 PM
Too bad. Looked like a playa in the '07 Red-White game.

RedstickSooner
3/3/2008, 06:33 PM
Well, that's a drag. Wish the kid well. (Guess he's too old to be considered a "kid" at this point. Wish the young man well?)

Like many here, I always felt he had a name which destined him to LB greatness. Sad how sometimes the chips just don't fall the way you'd like 'em to.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/3/2008, 06:47 PM
question - would this have been his senior year or was he considered to have a redshirt year last year?

NorthernIowaSooner
3/3/2008, 07:59 PM
i wish he coulda tore it up for one year, done enough to get drafted and get some quick NFL money for a few years to really help out his situation monetarily

Curly Bill
3/3/2008, 09:23 PM
i wish he coulda tore it up for one year, done enough to get drafted and get some quick NFL money for a few years to really help out his situation monetarily

This was sort of my thinking...I mean I don't know his family situation too well, but how better to take care of your family then if he could have played well enough to get drafted and make some NFL dollars. Those NFL guys are able to take care of their families pretty well right?

...maybe it was something that couldn't be delayed though...

OU-HSV
3/3/2008, 10:17 PM
Best of luck, Mike Reed. I was really hoping he could make an impact this season, but family should always come first.
Exactly. I haven't read any of the latest articles about Mike Reed. Only the ones in the past that mentioned he had to pick his family over football last year. I would assume that is the case again, and you can't fault the guy for that. Props to him for doing what's ultimately right.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2008, 09:44 PM
One thing he may be able to do is pull a Michael Hawkins and try out and impress some scouts.....If he has been able to keep himself in any kind of shape