PDA

View Full Version : "Dumb Bite" Fishing report 3-1-08

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/3/2008, 12:48 AM
Another trip to Puerto Penasco, Mexico. We fished, 4 people, at the 51 mile reef, out of Penasco, a very hard day Sat. 3-1-08. Fishing was even better than 2 weeks ago. We got approx. 15 White Seabass from 15-40 lbs., with most being 15-20 lbs. We loaded up with Goldspot Bass to 10 lbs. The ten pounder was the largest Goldspot I've ever seen, and would be a new world record, if I had been the one that caught it. Also, we got a bunch of Pacific Whitefish to 12 lbs. I think we probably caught roughly 400 lbs. of fish.

Wind blew like Hades today. We didn't even try to go out, and I just got back to Phoenix about an hour ago.

GottaHavePride
3/3/2008, 12:51 AM
Sounds like a good trip!

3/3/2008, 12:56 AM
Sounds like a good trip!The buddy I fish with is very knowledgeable of the situation, and is a very aggressive fisherman. We almost always do as well, or better than the other people I run into down there, or even that I hear about. He has a 24ft. cuddy cabin Trophy boat, and is an expert at using GPS, depth finders, and at lining up properly on the reefs.

3/3/2008, 07:31 PM
Yes, I'm ready to answer any questions!(preferably about fishing)

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 07:36 PM
Did any of them fight as much as a crappie? 'Cause crappie are hard to catch. At least they were when I was seven.

They're some good eatin', though!

3/3/2008, 07:42 PM
Did any of them fight as much as a crappie? 'Cause crappie are hard to catch. At least they were when I was seven.

They're some good eatin', though!Crappie are good eating, but you can't call them strong fighters, compared to most fish, and saltwater fish are generally better fighters than most freshwater types. I think pound for pound, the jacks, tunas, and billfish are the most brutal fighters.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 07:46 PM
I'm just kiddin'. I've actually been saltwater fishing a couple of times. Mostly shut out once, but I caught a couple of king mackerel another time out. Lots of fun.

I've been out in some nice boats similar to the one you described off of Fort Lauderdale and off of S. Padre, but just driving around, not fishing. I'd like to take an honest-to-goodness trip at some point.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 07:47 PM
By the way: kingfish aint so good eatin'. And mos def cut out that damn black stripe.

Rogue
3/3/2008, 07:49 PM
The ten pounder was the largest Goldspot I've ever seen, and would be a new world record, if I had been the one that caught it.

Sounds like a great time. I didn't understand the quote above. Did another joke just fly right over my noodle?

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 07:50 PM
And I know crappie aren't fighters. The way I could always tell it was a crappie on the hook when I was a kid was that the line would go sideways, as opposed to the line getting a tug.

But they're good eatin', though.

Rogue
3/3/2008, 07:51 PM
Another question...where's all the fish? Do you bring a bunch home?

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 07:53 PM
Well, I used to bring them home to clean and freeze them after catching them. But that was years ago. I've eaten all of them by now.

3/3/2008, 07:55 PM
I'm just kiddin'. I've actually been saltwater fishing a couple of times. Mostly shut out once, but I caught a couple of king mackerel another time out. Lots of fun.

I've been out in some nice boats similar to the one you described off of Fort Lauderdale and off of S. Padre, but just driving around, not fishing. I'd like to take an honest-to-goodness trip at some point.We fish rocky reefs in deep water, from 75 ft down to about 275 ft. Most of the time we go after gulf groupers, 30-100lbs., but certain times of the year, such as now, we go after the migratory species. For example, the white seabass seem to show up where we can find them from feb-April. We get into monster size flounder in July and August, to about 35 lbs. We get the big black seabass to over 300 lbs. in June, and again in Nov-Dec, at the deeper reefs.

King mackerel are a really fun fish. I've caught some out of Texas and Florida. I even like to eat them, although it is a rich meat, and does require acquiring a taste for it, for some people.

Mjcpr
3/3/2008, 07:58 PM
Sometimes when I'm floating around the cove at the lake and drinking beer, a perch will nibble at a mole or, occasionally, a nip.

Does that count?

3/3/2008, 07:59 PM
Sounds like a great time. I didn't understand the quote above. Did another joke just fly right over my noodle?The guy who caught the world record didn't know it would be a world record. I, on the other hand, would have known, and prolly would have it recorded. I wasn't about to tell him he had a WR.

Rogue
3/3/2008, 08:00 PM
Well, I used to bring them home to clean and freeze them after catching them. But that was years ago. I've eaten all of them by now.

Ummm....yeah.

Mackerel...along with Yellowtail, my favorite sushi-fish.

3/3/2008, 08:01 PM
Another question...where's all the fish? Do you bring a bunch home?We do bring a bunch home. Give away a lot, trade some, and keep a lot for both fresh and frozen for the table.

KC//CRIMSON
3/3/2008, 08:01 PM
And I know crappie aren't fighters. The way I could always tell it was a crappie on the hook when I was a kid was that the line would go sideways, as opposed to the line getting a tug.

But they're good eatin', though.

Hybrids/Sand Bass, Stripers, and Catfish are the best fresh water fighters imho.

3/3/2008, 08:05 PM
Hybrids/Sand Bass, Stripers, and Catfish are the best fresh water fighters imho.smallmouths are pretty stout, and carp, if you don't mind how ugly they are.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 08:06 PM
Hybrids/Sand Bass, Stripers, and Catfish are the best fresh water fighters imho.
You've apparently never caught a spoonbill.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 08:08 PM
Neither have I, of course, but a friend of mine who is a bigtime marlin fisherman and used to guide in Fort Laudy told me that spoonbills put up a fight similar to saltwater fish, so I wanted to sound like I knew a whole lot.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 08:09 PM
Ummm....yeah.

Mackerel...along with Yellowtail, my favorite sushi-fish.
Love me some yellowtail, but I'm pretty meh on mackerel. It is everything that people who have never eaten sushi are afraid sushi will be.

BigRedJed
3/3/2008, 08:09 PM
NO FLOOD CONTROL!!!!

3/3/2008, 08:11 PM
You've apparently never caught a spoonbill.I think they are related to shark, actually. That should make them pretty strong.

KC//CRIMSON
3/3/2008, 08:12 PM
You've apparently never caught a spoonbill.

No, I've never caught a Spoonbill, snagger.;)

C&CDean
3/3/2008, 10:00 PM
Rush,

Locals and real fishermen call it Rocky Point. Only tourists call it Puerto Penasco.

3/3/2008, 10:23 PM
Heh.

Physisist smack.

OCUDad
3/3/2008, 10:26 PM
Give away a lot, trade some...So how does this fish trading thing work? "I'll give you two crappie for a trout"? Or "I'll take that perch for a couple of minnows and a fish to be named later"?

3/4/2008, 12:43 AM
Rush,

Locals in Tucson and Phoenix and real fishermen call it Rocky Point. Only tourists call it Puerto Penasco.Sorry Dean; The locals down there call it Puerto Penasco...or, maybe I'm not a real fisherman.