PDA

View Full Version : Dear Comcast

Ike
3/2/2008, 03:55 PM
Suck it.

Sincerely,
Me

So apparently comcast caps the size of files you can upload at 10MB. I have to put some data files on a web site so some other people can look over them and confirm that the funny things I am seeing are really there. One such file is a hair over 10 MB. The upload claims to start and then just keeps going forever. If I check my net traffic, there is nothing going out.

Seriously Comcast. Go suck a giant sucky thing.

Mjcpr
3/2/2008, 04:05 PM
Zip it.

Ike
3/2/2008, 05:53 PM
Zip it.
that was sending the zipped file....

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 06:07 PM
I thought you were telling him to STFU

OCUDad
3/2/2008, 06:21 PM
May or may not work, but there's a Firefox extension called DownThemAll that breaks files into chunks for faster download. Don't know if that'll fool Comcast's download limit, but it's worth a try. It really speeds up downloads.

Ike
3/2/2008, 06:21 PM
May or may not work, but there's a Firefox extension called DownThemAll that breaks files into chunks for faster download. Don't know if that'll fool Comcast's download limit, but it's worth a try. It really speeds up downloads.
except that this is an upload...

OCUDad
3/2/2008, 06:24 PM
In that case ... how about a freeware file splitter/joiner that your colleagues could also use?

Whet
3/2/2008, 07:23 PM
Is that one of your comcast websites?

Can you break the data file down into two seperate files?

soonerboomer93
3/2/2008, 07:28 PM
rar it, better compression then zip

you can always break it up when you rar it too

StoopTroup
3/2/2008, 08:37 PM
I've never used Comcast....

But I'm in a semi-bad mood...

So...

Suck it Comcast.

OH AND....

23,000! BABAY ! ! !

Sooner_Bob
3/2/2008, 09:22 PM
I remember being subjected to Comcasts innerweb dominance at one time.

OUbones
3/2/2008, 09:29 PM
While we're at it AT&T you can lick my balls!

That is all,
OUbones

Ike
3/2/2008, 09:44 PM
Is that one of your comcast websites?

Can you break the data file down into two seperate files?

It's not a comcast website that I'm uploading to.

I can break it into two separate files, but that requires me to write some code that reads the data and writes the first half to one file and the second half to another file.

split/join might be another option, but seems like more hassle to put the consumers of my data through.

But really, what I am going to do is upload all of my files as one zipped file (80 MB) rather than one at a time, individually zipped. I will accomplish this by putting the big zip file on a thumb drive and uploading from work, where such limitations do not apply.

Either way, comcast can still suck it. I can somewhat understand the whole 'throttling' thing they do, but to completely prevent me from uploading files larger than 10MB (which really isn't all that big) is just frickin retarded.

I may switch providers just for that.

Frozen Sooner
3/2/2008, 09:57 PM
Why don't you call them and ask them if there's a way you can get that limit upped and explain why? They might charge you a couple of extra bucks, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Whet
3/2/2008, 09:59 PM
What other options do you have over there? DSL? Or, WOW?

Ike
3/2/2008, 10:00 PM
Why don't you call them and ask them if there's a way you can get that limit upped and explain why? They might charge you a couple of extra bucks, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Well, I'll call them tomorrow and ask them to up the limit for no extra $$. I'm kind of sick of them as it is. If I'm going to have to shell out extra money to be able to transfer something larger than 10mb, it's gonna be to someone else.

Ike
3/2/2008, 10:02 PM
What other options do you have over there? DSL? Or, WOW?
DSL is an option here. One of my neighbors is good friends with the local AT&T DSL repair guy.