PDA

View Full Version : Google Text Messaging

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 09:11 AM
Ok you guys, I think I have been introduced the best invention since sliced bread, and if it's been posted about already, i don't care because everyone needs to learn about this.

if you send a text message to 46645 (GOOGL), with the name of a person, business, movie title, airline flight number, area code....it will text you back with a listing for that...

so, if you wanted to find say..."Sushi Neko" in oklahoma city, you text "Sushi Neko oklahoma city" to 46645 and in about 3 seconds, you will have a text message from them with the address and phone number. It works with listed phone book numbers for residences too.

If you want to find out where and when a certain movie is playing you text the name of the movie and the city and it will text back to you all the theaters where the movie is playing and all the movie times...try it!!!

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 09:13 AM
oh, and every time you use it, it gives you a tip on how to find other information.

Chuck Bao
3/2/2008, 09:22 AM
Cool. thank you for sharing that, brat.

edited because I can vent by text spam in my own threads.

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 09:42 AM
probably doesn't do you much good, does it?

Chuck Bao
3/2/2008, 09:51 AM
Heh! You know it. But that thing you're talking about - the google phone thing - I'd be so into that.

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 10:59 AM
come on people, try it.

yermom
3/2/2008, 11:18 AM
i've mentioned this multiple times, you're ignoring me, aren't you?

it also works for sports scores, if you text "oklahoma sooners" or "dallas cowboys" or "alabama crimson tide" it will send back the current scores for games in progress or the most recent one

here's more:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/mobile/sms/

Frozen Sooner
3/2/2008, 01:15 PM
Just tried it. Awesome sauce. Thanks for the tip, Brat.

Boomer.....
3/2/2008, 01:40 PM
Very cool! Thanks for sharing that.

StoopTroup
3/2/2008, 02:21 PM
Google should pay Phil for this ad IMHO. :D :pop:

ChickSoonerFan
3/2/2008, 02:21 PM
It doesn't cost anything or automatically sign you up for some monthly subscription to anything?

That is what I worry about when texting unknown numbers.

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 05:41 PM
It doesn't cost anything or automatically sign you up for some monthly subscription to anything?

That is what I worry about when texting unknown numbers.

How much does Google SMS cost?

Google doesn't currently charge you when you send a query or receive results, but your mobile provider's standard rates for sending and receiving text messages still apply.

If you have free messages through your mobile phone plan, you can use them for Google SMS. Sending a text message will not use up minutes on your phone plan.

OU-HSV
3/2/2008, 06:11 PM
So I pay for like 1000 texts per month on my cingular plan. If I'm understanding you correctly, I won't have any charges (other than if I'm over my 1000 texts limit, cingular will gladly charge me per text used.)
That sounds awesome.

soonerbrat
3/2/2008, 06:29 PM
correct sir. regular text messaging rates apply.

and yermom...sorry, i didn't ignore your posts, I just didn't see them.

OCUDad
3/2/2008, 06:30 PM
and yermom...sorry, i didn't ignore your posts, I just didn't see them.Good job, brat - that's what we ALL tell him.

OU-HSV
3/2/2008, 06:35 PM
correct sir. regular text messaging rates apply.

and yermom...sorry, i didn't ignore your posts, I just didn't see them.
Sir? Geeze I turned 27 last week and now I'm getting called sir to make me feel even older :D

Thanks for the info on this, looks like a cool deal

yermom
3/2/2008, 09:36 PM
Good job, brat - that's what we ALL tell him.

:mad: