PDA

View Full Version : Any of you yahoos have a Slingbox?

Widescreen
3/1/2008, 08:35 PM
Just picked one up last night. I'm waiting for a wireless bridge to come in so I can hook it up to my network. This is kind of one of those things I don't really need but it has such a high Neato Factor that I just couldn't keep putting it off.

proud gonzo
3/1/2008, 08:36 PM
a wha?

olevetonahill
3/1/2008, 08:50 PM
Dean dont Like em in the shower
Just sayin

sooner_born_1960
3/1/2008, 08:52 PM
Isn't a slingbox a thing that lets you broadcast you home tv over the internet. So you can watch your Pay channels on your computer when you ain't home.

Widescreen
3/1/2008, 09:05 PM
Yup. You can watch your live TV or DVR recordings from anywhere in the world (that has broadband Internet). It lets you control your sat/cable box using software on your laptop. You can even watch on your smartphone.

http://www.slingmedia.com

King Crimson
3/2/2008, 12:51 AM
my italian buddy and his wife are fixin to buy one so he can watch the NFL on the computer at his restaurant.

Widescreen
3/2/2008, 09:41 PM
my italian buddy and his wife are fixin to buy one so he can watch the NFL on the computer at his restaurant.
I take it they're Italian-Oklahoman? :P

Sooner_Havok
3/2/2008, 09:45 PM
Yup. You can watch your live TV or DVR recordings from anywhere in the world (that has broadband Internet). It lets you control your sat/cable box using software on your laptop. You can even watch on your smartphone.

http://www.slingmedia.com

PSP, don't forget you can watch it from your PSP:D

BudSooner
3/2/2008, 09:53 PM
No, but i've had my *** in a Sling....not a Slingbox.

OUDoc
3/3/2008, 09:03 AM
I've been looking at this for a long time, just haven't jumped on it yet. Let me know if it works as advertised.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2008, 09:09 AM
So does it stream the feed or download the file?

sooner_born_1960
3/3/2008, 09:19 AM
I believe it's a stream type delio, since you can watch the tv channels, and not just the recorded stuff.

OUDoc
3/3/2008, 09:21 AM
Yes, it streams it.

Seems like you should be able to plug your DVR into the router and access it with your PC. Until I can do that with my Cox DVR, Slingbox seems like the best alternative.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2008, 09:23 AM
Hmmmm. Sounds interesting.

Since you can network the newer HD Directv receivers, I wonder if you could watch DVR'd stuff on a non-DVR receiver?

sooner_born_1960
3/3/2008, 09:25 AM
My step-son bought one of these so he won't have to subscribe to cable. He was going to set it up at his dad's house, then watch the tv on his computer at his house. I don't know if he's done it yet, but I question whether his dad is going to be too happy about him hogging all his bandwidth.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2008, 09:27 AM
Not a bad idea though.

sooneron
3/3/2008, 10:05 AM
It works really well. I was surprised at how it worked last year when I was at a rib cookoff. It was the day we were playing CU (ugh) and we were able to watch the game on my buddy's laptop outside whilst we smoked the pork. It was cool except for the 2nd half of the game part. :(