PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago

OUmillenium
3/1/2008, 06:44 PM
So if you were alive then, what are your fond memories of 20 years ago when the Mookie, Stacey, Harvey, Ricky, and Dave show was averaging 102.9 a game?

I'll drop a long post later when I have time.

Straz1999
3/1/2008, 07:04 PM
I remember I was 7 years old and had only watched a few BBall games that year. I remember I cried after Kansas beat us. For some reason, I knew it was right.

tulsaoilerfan
3/1/2008, 08:36 PM
i remember telling my dad in december i thought the sooners were the best team in the nation; of course i was right but who would have thought we would have to play Kansas on what was pretty much their home court away from home

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2008, 08:58 PM
My neighbor down the street was a stud basketball player in high school (went on to play at some D-II school) and was a big KU fan.

I hate that guy.

soonerhubs
3/1/2008, 09:14 PM
I remember I was 7 years old and had only watched a few BBall games that year. I remember I cried after Kansas beat us. For some reason, I knew it was right.
I cried too. I was 9. :O

NCSooner18
3/1/2008, 09:14 PM
It's not a fond memory, but I remember in the 2nd half wishing Billy would tell Blaylock and Grace to stop shooting the freakin 3's they couldn't hit and get the ball inside to Grant and King like in the first half.

starrca23
3/1/2008, 10:50 PM
NCSooner is right, but I loved watching the fast break threes that season.

Mjcpr
3/1/2008, 10:57 PM
I cried too. I was 9. :O

Freakin' infants. :D

I was a teenager in high school. My grandparents were out of town and I was playing quarters with friends in the living room while also watching the game. That Final 4 was what got me interested in basketball. And Michael Jordan.

It still isn't my favorite sport but I'm more of a fan because of that game than I would be without it.

Flagstaffsooner
3/2/2008, 09:39 AM
I remember the refs letting Danny Manning be a thug.

the_ouskull
3/2/2008, 11:49 AM
I remember thinking then and still wondering now, if that game was thrown. I was 14.

the_ouskull

Pricetag
3/2/2008, 01:28 PM
No way they threw that game. You could see in the looks on the faces of Billy Tubbs and all the guys on the team when it was over.

I'll never forget them doing the feature on the Kansas fan in the wheelchair before the game--I just knew we were in trouble, that they would have some kind of mojo in the game.

I've said it before, we could win 10 national championships in basketball and it would still never heal the hurt from that loss for me.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2008, 04:26 PM
I was in 7th grade....I played post so I tried to mimic everything King did on the court..When the game was on TV, I would hang my nerf goal over the door and reenact the game while it was going on.

Sooner24
3/2/2008, 04:58 PM
One of my memories of that 87/88 season was the Big 8 tournament. We had beaten Missouri and K-State and Kansas was the nightcap. Kansas State got a big lead on Kansas and the Wildcat fans in the section next to us started chanting NIT NIT NIT at the Kansas fans. Seemed kinda funny at the time but it wasn't so funny three weeks later. Walking out of Kemper Arena after losing to Kansas is still the worst feeling I have ever had attending an OU sporting event. :(

Mixer!
3/2/2008, 07:26 PM
I was a teenager in high school. My grandparents were out of town and I was playing quarters with friends in the living room while also watching the game. That Final 4 was what got me interested in basketball. And Michael Jordan.

It still isn't my favorite sport but I'm more of a fan because of that game than I would be without it. Freakin' infant. ;)

I was in my eighth year of college, deciding what I could graduate with after earning 120+ hours. Got a pizza & a 6-pack, and turned the game on. I could tell it was going to be a rough night when all the f**king announcers could do was go on and on about Danny f**king Manning and his sister. And yes, the Jayhawks got away with murder in the foul department. :mad:

After the loss, I thought we'd be back in the final four one of the next two seasons, but it never happened. :(

adoniijahsooner
3/3/2008, 02:37 AM
I remember Danny manning having hips like Tyne daly on cagne and Lacy.

sooneron
3/3/2008, 09:42 AM
I remember walking out of Pinocchio's after that game and hearing PHUCK!!!!!! Ringing out in the dorms.

You guys are a bunch of kids. I was a Junior at OU.

Sooner_Bob
3/3/2008, 10:31 AM
My fondest memory of that year was watching OU beat Illinois State in the All-College Tourney and getting Pete Maravich's autograph.

I still have my ticket stub and the program he signed.

Sadly he died just over a week later.

RFH Shakes
3/3/2008, 10:33 AM
I remember being at a game at the LNC (not sure who we were playing or what year) I think we had a couple shots at hitting a hundred at the half.