PDA

View Full Version : Are our guards the worst in conference?

NormanPride
2/28/2008, 10:46 AM
Don't get me wrong... I love our guys. They bust *** all game and you can tell they really want it. However, I don't think I've ever seen a team's guards perform so poorly offensively. Are there any other teams in the league/other "top" conferences that have as bad a backcourt as we do?

And if we're near the bottom... what happened? I know we're not a basketball school, but damn. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2008, 11:19 AM
I think it depends on what 2 or 3 game streak they are on...For a few games they look pretty good and then the next 3 or 4 they arent so hot

NormanPride
2/28/2008, 11:25 AM
Yeah. How much of that is matchup and defensive philosophy of the other team, though? And how much of that is offensive philosophy of our team?

It was nice to see Cade rattle off a few shots last night, though. I still think the future is bright for him.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 11:29 AM
I think talentwise no. But they aren't consistent and they don't know how to play the game.

birddog
2/28/2008, 11:58 AM
I think talentwise no. But they aren't consistent and they don't know how to play the game.

well, isn't that the definition of talent?

or atleast a part of it?

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 12:06 PM
well, isn't that the definition of talent?

or atleast a part of it?

Maybe, but I think with good coaching a lot of our mistakes would be fixed. I think our coaches are doing a poor job coaching up our guards. They are trying to put square pegs into round holes with them.

primetime43
2/28/2008, 12:43 PM
Ball handling is not great. Passing is not great. Shooting is horrible. Decision making is questionable. These are all the things a guard needs to have to be successful on any level. This is why our offense goes in droughts for long periods of time because 1). we don't have a playmaker to make other players better and 2) we don't have a guard that when we absolutely need a basket can get one.

It makes you appreciate Hollis Price, Corey Brewer, and even Quanis(sp?) White

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 12:50 PM
Ball handling is not great. Passing is not great. Shooting is horrible. Decision making is questionable. These are all the things a guard needs to have to be successful on any level. This is why our offense goes in droughts for long periods of time because 1). we don't have a playmaker to make other players better and 2) we don't have a guard that when we absolutely need a basket can get one.

It makes you appreciate Hollis Price, Corey Brewer, and even Quanis(sp?) White

We only had 11 turnovers last night so passing and ball handling weren't actually a problem. I think our system has a lot to do with our droughts. You don't see our guards trying to shoot easier shots. They just try tough ones all the time and get lucky sometimes.

primetime43
2/28/2008, 01:05 PM
We only had 11 turnovers last night so passing and ball handling weren't actually a problem. I think our system has a lot to do with our droughts. You don't see our guards trying to shoot easier shots. They just try tough ones all the time and get lucky sometimes.

I don't think we have good ball handlers at all. Austin Johnson is adequate but he's not a pure point guard. Tony Crocker is a one or two dribble catch and shoot player. David Godbold is unsure everytime he touches the ball. The reason they shoot a lot of bad shots and long 3's is because they aren't good enough ball handlers to get to the basket. Watching the last Texas game proved this to me.

Ton Loc
2/28/2008, 01:15 PM
It could also be that they only think there are two places to shoot from on the floor: in the lane, or behind the 3 point line. Its like they forgot that it is ok to shoot jump shots within the arc.

kbsooner21
2/28/2008, 03:02 PM
Yes, they are horrible. I'm counting down the days when I never have to see Austin Johnson and David Godbold wear an OU jersey again.

starrca23
2/28/2008, 03:39 PM

Well, you have to have players to run a system. Which opens the "is it the players or the system" debate.
One big factor is that there is no transition game for OU because we don't have a guard that can accelerate and finish at the rim. I like the idea of Wille Warren and Cade Davis together with Blake. Willie can create tempo and finish, which should, on occasion, draw extra defenders which should allow Cade some good looks from distance.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 04:01 PM
Well, you have to have players to run a system. Which opens the "is it the players or the system" debate.
One big factor is that there is no transition game for OU because we don't have a guard that can accelerate and finish at the rim. I like the idea of Wille Warren and Cade Davis together with Blake. Willie can create tempo and finish, which should, on occasion, draw extra defenders which should allow Cade some good looks from distance.

Crocker and AJ have plenty of speed, haven't really seen enough of the freshmen. Capel never ran it at VCU so he won't have a team running it here.

kc sooner
2/28/2008, 04:39 PM

Good point, I think a lot of teams with good talent don't have great systems, the coach just lets the kids play ball. With our lack of talent ( no good shooters, ball handlers, slashers, or decision makers), we have to try a lot more set plays and it's hard for them to get good shots a lot of times. My wife is always wondering why i get so upset watching them, she tells me - You know they aren't very good so why does it suprise you when they play bad? They are trying their best, and she's got a good point, maybe I shouldn't hope for them to be better than they are, it's not their fault they aren't that great and I appreciate the effort they give and I wish they could get more support from the fans, but I really hope and can't wait for the talent level to increase.

Civicus_Sooner
2/28/2008, 04:43 PM
AJ would be a solid backup to Crocker if we had an actual PG on this team.

Yes our guards are terrible.

badger
2/28/2008, 05:11 PM
Capel was such a good guard at Dook. Why is he only making Longar and the forwards better?

birddog
2/28/2008, 05:18 PM
when your starting pg averages 2 assists a game, and he is not a scorer, and he is not a slasher, you've got big problems.

NormanPride
2/28/2008, 06:15 PM
:(

I still love watching them play, even when they suck. It's because I love it so much that it's so painful when we miss 80% of our shots.

Ash
2/29/2008, 12:55 AM
To answer the original question: yes.

Frozen Sooner
2/29/2008, 03:05 AM
Man, it's really awesome we don't have scoring droughts anymore. :(

starrca23
2/29/2008, 08:51 AM
LittleWing, I must respectfully disagree with the fact that AJ has speed. He has been caught from behind too many times and he never and I do mean never has been able to make a one on one move to get past his defender.

OUstud
2/29/2008, 10:10 AM
IMO, Leary's the only real PG on the team. I don't think he's consistent enough to start but he's a decent distributor (remember the pass to AJ where he had his man beat up court in the Baylor game?). On top of that, he's an ok shooter at times (which is the problem with the whole team now). AJ seems like he handles the ball like a SG and shoots like a PG. I can't wait to get some guard talent, hopefully Warren is the answer.

badger
2/29/2008, 10:33 AM
On a positive note, Longar is rated #5 in the draft by ESPN:
Excerpt:
5. Longar Longar, C, Oklahoma: Longar, 6-foot-11 and 232 pounds... teams that miss out on Chris Long and Jake Long may reach for Longar.
Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080227)

OKC-SLC
3/1/2008, 01:55 AM
heh.

boomersooner28
3/1/2008, 07:45 AM
Willie Warren is gonna help soooooo much next season.

boomersooner28
3/1/2008, 09:25 AM
How many threads can I post in today.