PDA

View Full Version : NIT Here We Come

jdsooner
2/27/2008, 09:56 PM
Very disappointing loss. Very disappointing year after a promising start.

badger
2/27/2008, 09:58 PM
:(

OUSKINS
2/27/2008, 10:11 PM
Capel gets an F- tonight. Losing is one thing. Getting throttled by an average team at best is another. I understand and acknowledge that we lack talent at the guard spot and that there isn't much Capel can do about that. They will have decent games and awful ones. However, THAT type of offensive performance is unnaceptable under any circumstance.

A team should not looked THAT lost and unprepared at this time of the year.

For the second year in a row, we appear to be getting worse as the season winds down. Not a good sign.

No one likes Capel more than I do, but you gotta call it like you see it here.

And yes, this is made worse by the fact that OSU is on fire right and appears headed in the opposite direction. Could be VERY ugly next week in Stillwater.

Soonerus
2/27/2008, 10:17 PM
I wonder if Jenna Plumley could start for the men's team ???

Curly Bill
2/27/2008, 10:21 PM
A team should not looked THAT lost and unprepared at this time of the year.

Are we talking about the Fiesta Bowl again? ;)

Blue
2/27/2008, 11:04 PM
For the second year in a row, we appear to be getting worse as the season winds down. Not a good sign.

Yup. This concerns me.

Collier11
2/27/2008, 11:21 PM
OR if you look at it realistically, our lack of talent and quality depth is catching up with us...Longars injury is bothering him...and we are still 2 home wins or a win at okie state from likely being in the tourney with only one player that could start for Texas or Kansas...Lighten up guys, many thought we would win 4 games in conf this year

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/28/2008, 12:21 AM
Hey we were god awful tonight. Last I checked though it only counts as one loss. Just about every team has 1-2 games on the road where they just look terrible. It is only one loss though. I'm not saying we don't have our work cut out for us but it we win our remaining home games we probably make the tourney.

Not saying tonight didn't suck but we still can regroup.

Jay C. Upchurch
2/28/2008, 12:26 AM
A little more than two weeks ago in the midst of a three-game losing streak, all of these same posts came oozing out of the woodwork, talking about how disappointing the team was and how Capel wasn't getting the job done... same type of crap that was posted after the Sooners lost to Stephen F. Austin at home back in December...

I guess no one has really been paying much attention to this team?

Consistency hasn't been this team's forté, mainly because of a lack of overall depth. The starting five has looked tired at times and it has really shown up via some poor shooting performances.

This group scored 52, 54 and 58 points respectively during that three-game slide in early February. After the loss at Colorado, lots of "fans" were writing the Sooners off... and then suddenly they rebounded with three straight wins, including a 66-62 triumph over a Texas Tech team that had not lost a game at home all season.

After losing to S.F. Austin, this same team went out and beat Arkansas, Gonzaga and West Virginia back-to-back-to-back.

So whining and throwing in the towel at this point is ridiculous.

If the history of this season tells us anything, it is that these Sooners are resilient, if nothing else.

With a struggling Texas A&M team coming to Norman on Saturday, OU should have a chance to get back on the right foot. Yes, O-State is playing better, but they certainly are not unbeatable at GIA, and Mizzou has pretty much little to play for when it comes to Norman on March 8.

It certainly is not unreasonable to think Capel can squeeze three victories out of his young crew between now and the Big 12 Tourney. Even if they go 2-1 in those games, that means the Sooners finish 8-8 in league play. Couple that with at least one win in Kansas City and this team still has a very realistic shot at getting its NCAA dance ticket stamped.

King Crimson
2/28/2008, 12:45 AM
we certainly haven't made it any easier on ourselves and seem to be allergic to prolonged success, but i ain't giving up yet.

Blue
2/28/2008, 01:05 AM
I don't think saying he's disappointed is throwing in the towel or whining.

Thanks, Jay.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/28/2008, 01:06 AM
the most frustrating things to me is road losses to CU and NU. granted theyre on the road but theyre losses you look at the schedule and think you should win and based on play this season CU shouldve been an easy win and NU a win but not as easy. just frustrating, but the lack of bodies is starting to show up, just at the wrong time of the season

jdsooner
2/28/2008, 01:27 AM
The problem is that we have stunk it up in the last two games and we have now fallen into a four way tie for 5th in the Big 12. We had a good chance of finishing in 4th by ourselves before this slide. There are currently five teams with better overall records than us and who have a better conference record. Unless we win at least a couple of games in the Big 12 Tournament, our bubble has burst.:(

Big 12
Team Conf. W-L Tot. W-L
Texas 11-2 24-4
Kansas 10-3 25-3
Kansas St. 8-5 18-9
Texas A&M 7-6 21-7
Baylor 7-6 19-8
Nebraska 6-7 17-9
Oklahoma 6-7 18-10
Oklahoma St. 6-7 15-12
Texas Tech 6-7 15-12
Missouri 5-8 15-13
Iowa St. 4-9 14-14
Colorado 2-11 10-17

Collier11
2/28/2008, 01:30 AM
Nebraska isnt a bad team guys, they are 17-9 with the same conf record as us...they have beaten Arizona st, Oregon, and now beat Kstate, A&M, and us back to back to back. We played horrible but atleast it was a decent team

Jay C. Upchurch
2/28/2008, 03:09 AM
NIT here we come...????

You're right, that's not throwing in the towel.

My bad. I had forgotten the NIT is actually a better tournament than the NCAA.

-----

The truth is, OU controls its own destiny. If the Sooners go 3-0 the rest of the regular season, they are NCAA bound.

If they simply win their two remaining home games, they will be at worst 8-8 in conference and 20-11. That would probably put them alone in fourth place because A&M still has to travel to Baylor and to Kansas to finish the regular season. If OU goes 3-0, Baylor would also have to win out, by beating A&M and Missouri at home and Texas Tech at Lubbock... not very likely. OU has the tie-breaker over Baylor.

If OU earns fourth place, it gets a bye in KC and then would face a team it should have a good opportunity to beat. There are obviously no givens with this Sooner crew, but even with the last two disappointing performances in tow, OU still has a very realistic shot at going to the Big Dance. The Sooners are currently 31st in the RPI ratings.

OUSKINS
2/28/2008, 08:02 AM
No one is throwing in the towel. I view the title of the thread more as frustration over the loss than someone quitting on the team. Hey, OU hoops can use all the passionate fans they can get :)

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised to see us only dip to #31 in the RPI this morning-- that is encouraging. And there is NO doubt that OU controls their own destiny the rest of the way.

I was just very upset at the WAY we played last night. I don't think at this point in the season you should be scoring 12 points in a half against an average team. That's all.

Newbomb Turk
2/28/2008, 08:05 AM
OR if you look at it realistically, our lack of talent and quality depth is catching up with us...Longars injury is bothering him

I think this pretty much nails it.

I just don't see us going 3-0.

Boomer.....
2/28/2008, 08:10 AM
I wouldn't pin this all on Capel. The team just isn't shooting the ball well. You can't teach shooting.

Instead of a few players being in a slump, like earlier in the season, the whole team is in a slump.

OUSKINS
2/28/2008, 08:32 AM
I wouldn't pin this all on Capel. The team just isn't shooting the ball well. You can't teach shooting.

Instead of a few players being in a slump, like earlier in the season, the whole team is in a slump.

You can't coach talent and you can't make shots for them. However, why did we turn the ball over on 5 of our first six possesions last night? Why did we get hammered on the boards? I don't blame Capel when our guards get open looks and can't knock them down, and I DO give Capel a ton of credit for having us at 18-10 at this point, but last night was a poor coaching job, period.

cheezyq
2/28/2008, 09:50 AM
Not seeing the game, I can only go by what I see in the box score. The first thing that jumps out is the shooting percentage. OU = 37%, NU = 50%. Neb was better at the line, too. Just going by that statistic, I can't imagine that coaching is the problem. I know it's Capel's job to put in plays that are designed to score, but ultimately the player has to hit the shot.

Rewind back to the game on Saturday. OU didn't just miss outside shots in that game. They were missing layups (Blake missed 4 layups/dunks in a row on one possession). They missed wide open, medium range shots. They missed FTs. They missed everything. OU's schemes were getting the ball in good position to score, but we just weren't hitting shots.

I imagine that's probably what happened v. Neb. Seriously, if we can't even hit an unguarded shot at the FT line, how are we going to be able to hit a guarded shot anywhere else on the court?

Here's an observation from the entire season: When we don't score early in the shot clock, we don't score at all. On our toughest shooting days, we spend a lot of time passing on the perimeter, trying to get the ball inside. We spend so much time on it that the shot clock drains down and if we don't get a shot for someone down low, we jack up some ridiculous shot that usually clangs off the back of the rim. I think this is a result of two things: the type of defense that's played against us (keeping the ball on the perimeter), and the fact that we don't have anyone who can create off the dribble.

Or...it could just be the fact that Capel started another "finish" campaign, and we're hosed from a karma standpoint. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/28/2008, 09:58 AM
I think this pretty much nails it.

I just don't see us going 3-0.

I don't think it is going to take going 3-0 to make the tourney. I'm not saying we wouldn't sweat it but if we beat A&M and MU at home and lose @OSU we probably wind up the 5 seed in the conference tourney playing Colo. I think Baylor could win out and get the 4..maybe even 3 seed. A&M could now lose out @OU,@Bay and hosting KU.

Even with an 8-8 conference record. I think 21 wins and an RPI in the 30's with as many as 5-6 top 50 wins that we would look good compared to other bubble teams.

Crimsontothecore
2/28/2008, 11:00 AM
I guess I see things differently than most because I'm not satisfied with just making the big dance. What's so great about getting there when you have no realistic chance of advancing deep? As an OU basketball fan I want the season extended as long as possible even if that means the NIT. Last year it was funny seeing all the celebration when Niagra beat Florida A&M in the play-in game. What was the reward? Playing Kansas and getting throttled by 40 points. But hey, At least they MADE THE BIG DANCE! whatever.
The fact is, even if OU makes the NCAA tourney they most likely will be one and done. At least in the NIT they have a realistic chance of advancing.

cheezyq
2/28/2008, 11:21 AM
I guess I see things differently than most because I'm not satisfied with just making the big dance. What's so great about getting there when you have no realistic chance of advancing deep? As an OU basketball fan I want the season extended as long as possible even if that means the NIT. Last year it was funny seeing all the celebration when Niagra beat Florida A&M in the play-in game. What was the reward? Playing Kansas and getting throttled by 40 points. But hey, At least they MADE THE BIG DANCE! whatever.
The fact is, even if OU makes the NCAA tourney they most likely will be one and done. At least in the NIT they have a realistic chance of advancing.

There are 65 teams in the NCAA tourney and 33 of them won't win a single game when they get there. Yet, if you ask any of those teams whether they'd rather win the NIT than lose in the first round of the big dance, and they'd no doubt say that they'd rather be in the big dance.

A team that makes the big dance has more advantages with future selections than one that settles for the NIT. The NIT doesn't get televised nationally by a major network. It's usually relegated to ESPN3 or something like that. And if a recruit gets to see Blake Griffin tear it up in just one game, then he may want to come to OU just to get a shot at playing with him. And during NCAA tourney games, the announcers talk up the coaches for each school and that may convince a recruit to give OU a shot. Just one game of advertising for OU in the NCAA tourney blows away 5 games of advertising for OU in the NIT.

There's no way I'd rather see 5 games of OU playing NIT ball versus 1 game of OU playing in the big dance. There are too many advantages with the big dance, even if we lose. And if we win a game, especially one that we weren't supposed to win, it's 1000 times better than winning against a bunch of lower-tier teams in the NIT.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/28/2008, 11:39 AM

If OU makes the tourney the worst seed they would be is a 13 and actually I think with their RPI it is more like a case of being out of the tourney or in with a 10 or 11 seed. I don't see any teams that are potential 6-7 seeds that we wouldn't have a good chance of beating on a neutral floor. We've been a 13 seed before in the Sweet 16 and we certainly know the other side of getting beat by a 13 or 14 seed.

No I don't think this team has the firepower this year to knock off a 1 or 2 seed in round 2. Hypothetically if we made the tourney and won a first round game I'd consider this year very much a success regardless.

With hindsight I'd prefer winning the NIT to a first round defeat but I'd rather take my chances with the NCAA every time.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 11:39 AM
I think the least amount we can win to make the NCAA is 1 game and then 2 in the Big 12 Tourney. But I'm not sure if Capel can coach at the end of the season based off of last year and this year.

Crimsontothecore
2/28/2008, 01:18 PM
I think the recruiting advantages to simply "making" the NCAA tourney are exaggerated. Last time I checked, Capel has landed 2 McDonalds All Americans in his first two recruiting classes, and OU didn't even make the NIT last year, let alone the NCAA. Some will say Blake Griffin came because of his brother but that can't be said about Willie Warren. As for exposure, OU has tons of games on TV regardless of the post season. Televised losses to teams like Colorado are far more damaging to recruiting than an NIT game that's not shown.

william_brasky
2/28/2008, 02:23 PM
to the original poster:

http://www.fluxw.com/debbie.gif

kc sooner
2/28/2008, 04:43 PM
A little more than two weeks ago in the midst of a three-game losing streak, all of these same posts came oozing out of the woodwork, talking about how disappointing the team was and how Capel wasn't getting the job done... same type of crap that was posted after the Sooners lost to Stephen F. Austin at home back in December...

Consistency hasn't been this team's forté, mainly because of a lack of overall depth. The starting five has looked tired at times and it has really shown up via some poor shooting performances.

This group scored 52, 54 and 58 points respectively during that three-game slide in early February. After the loss at Colorado, lots of "fans" were writing the Sooners off... and then suddenly they rebounded with three straight wins, including a 66-62 triumph over a Texas Tech team that had not lost a game at home all season.

After losing to S.F. Austin, this same team went out and beat Arkansas, Gonzaga and West Virginia back-to-back-to-back.

If the history of this season tells us anything, it is that these Sooners are resilient, if nothing else.

With a struggling Texas A&M team coming to Norman on Saturday, OU should have a chance to get back on the right foot. Yes, O-State is playing better, but they certainly are not unbeatable at GIA, and Mizzou has pretty much little to play for when it comes to Norman on March 8.

It certainly is not unreasonable to think Capel can squeeze three victories out of his young crew between now and the Big 12 Tourney. Even if they go 2-1 in those games, that means the Sooners finish 8-8 in league play. Couple that with at least one win in Kansas City and this team still has a very realistic shot at getting its NCAA dance ticket stamped.

How could you not be frustrated after losing that bad to nebraska in a game we had to win?

Collier11
2/28/2008, 04:58 PM
How could you not be frustrated after losing that bad to nebraska in a game we had to win?

Its not about being frustrated, its about being realistic and not going overboard with statements about the season being over when we still have a legit shot of making the tourney despite the fact that our ONLY center has a broken leg, we have no guard depth, our guards cant shoot, and our PG play has been avg most of the season!

birddog
2/28/2008, 05:02 PM
Its not about being frustrated, its about being realistic and not going overboard with statements about the season being over when we still have a legit shot of making the tourney despite the fact that our ONLY center has a broken leg, we have no guard depth, our guards cant shoot, and our PG play has been below average most of the season!

fixed. every big 12 pg in the league could start for us right now.

Collier11
2/28/2008, 05:08 PM
fixed. every big 12 pg in the league could start for us right now.

Ill go with that!

jdsooner
2/28/2008, 05:28 PM
Going to the NIT does not mean the season is over. However, these late season swoons are frustrating and a pattern seems to be emerging here. We need to recruit enough depth that we don't end up wearing our players out at the end of every year.

I think at best we are on the bubble. Getting blown out by Nebraska, Texas, and Colorado is not going to help.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 05:36 PM
Going to the NIT does not mean the season is over. However, these late season swoons are frustrating and a pattern seems to be emerging here. We need to recruit enough depth that we don't end up wearing our players out at the end of every year.

I think at best we are on the bubble. Getting blown out by Nebraska, Texas, and Colorado is not going to help.

I think we have enough depth right now to win games. And we have enough talent. Problem is that we look poorly coached in these games late in the year.

birddog
2/28/2008, 05:47 PM
here we go again. :rolleyes:

birddog
2/28/2008, 05:51 PM
I think we have enough depth right now to win games. And we have enough talent. Problem is that we look poorly coached in these games late in the year.
http://soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/okla-m-baskbl-mtt.html

please elaborate on this "depth".

Collier11
2/28/2008, 05:52 PM

Capel has coached his azz off this season and gotten great results with limited talent and depth, why must you insist on making these statements that make no sense!!!

birddog
2/28/2008, 05:56 PM
neysmith-freshman
gerber-walk on
leary-juco, first year
cade davis-freshman
dau-jok-who?

sure we have a a full roster but if they can't get you productive minutes, i don't think you can call that enough depth to help you win some games.

great teams have players that actually contribute off the bench. not just fillers while your main 3 gets a 2 minute break.

Crimsontothecore
2/28/2008, 06:30 PM
I have no reservations about Capel's coaching ability. He has been handicapped in his first two seasons and as far as I'm concerned, This team has overachieved most of the year. I still say we don't beat Arkansas, Gonzaga, and West Virginia with Sampson at the helm.
I see great things to come with Capel running the show.

william_brasky
2/28/2008, 06:43 PM

Once again,

http://birdonthemoon.com/you_win_the_prize-thumb.jpeg

SleestakSooner
2/28/2008, 06:49 PM
Longar was becoming the emotional leader on the team. Since his injury has limited his play the team has not been nearly as effective on offense or defense.

If Longar can return to form and show his energy and fighting spirit then the team should follow suit.

AJ has at times shown that he can play great at the point, and at other times he practically disappears. As the season has progressed, other conference teams have plenty of film on OU. They know the tendencies of our guards and how to shut them down.

To put the total blame on a coach that inherited a program under sanctions is moronic at best. Next year Capel should have all his scholarships available again. He has already recruited his second all american baller. If the Sooners can get a big man and a decent slasher forward to add to what we already have, THEN OU will have the depth LittleWangSooner speaks of.

Until this time next season there should be a moratorium on anyone talking smack on Coach Capel. And then, only if there is just cause for it.

LittleWingSooner
2/28/2008, 07:45 PM
Why are Neysmith and Davis not really playing a lot? They seem to play pretty decent when they do play. Davis had 10 points last night. Neysmith seemed to give our guards a lift when he played a few games back. Since then he's back on the bench. Then you have Crocker who should be better than he is.

I think the biggest problem with our guards is they aren't fundamentally coached that well. They take poor looking shots and they look like they don't practice at all. The problems with our guards is more with coaching than anything else.

OUSKINS
2/28/2008, 08:32 PM
Prediction: Davis starts on Saturday

Blue
2/28/2008, 08:50 PM
I'll give Capel all the time he needs. I believe he's a coach.

Me being a little disappointed in the last few games doesn't change that.

Yes Jay, Nit bound is throwing it in. I conceed. :)

Collier11
2/28/2008, 10:23 PM
A good point that was just made during the zona/usuc game on ESPN is that the Selection committee is trained to look at every team like an independent and not to look too much at conf standings. This will help us if we finish up at 8-8 and tied for 4-7th or whatever it ends up being

Ash
2/29/2008, 12:14 AM
Why are Neysmith and Davis not really playing a lot? They seem to play pretty decent when they do play. Davis had 10 points last night. Neysmith seemed to give our guards a lift when he played a few games back. Since then he's back on the bench. Then you have Crocker who should be better than he is.

I think the biggest problem with our guards is they aren't fundamentally coached that well. They take poor looking shots and they look like they don't practice at all. The problems with our guards is more with coaching than anything else.

You're right. Our coaching staff can't see talent right before their eyes and despite being coached by a former guard, our coaches don't know jack about how to coach a guard. But you, who didn't even believe Willie Warren was a good talent, can see what our coaches can't.

Another brilliant analysis by LWS.:rolleyes:

LittleWingSooner
2/29/2008, 12:25 AM
You're right. Our coaching staff can't see talent right before their eyes and despite being coached by a former guard, our coaches don't know jack about how to coach a guard. But you, who didn't even believe Willie Warren was a good talent, can see what our coaches can't.

Another brilliant analysis by LWS.:rolleyes:

Does it really matter what position he played in college? And does he directly coach our guards? It looks like our guards either don't listen to him or he doesn't know what to do with the guys we have. They have the talent to do better than they have done. But they aren't put in situations to make things easier. That's something our last 2 coaches were great at.

Ash
2/29/2008, 12:47 AM
Does it really matter what position he played in college? And does he directly coach our guards? It looks like our guards either don't listen to him or he doesn't know what to do with the guys we have. They have the talent to do better than they have done. But they aren't put in situations to make things easier. That's something our last 2 coaches were great at.

Bull. You can't coach putting the ball in the hole. Either the players execute or they don't. Capel has put the players in a position to succeed. The way these guys jack up shots sometimes is on them not the coach.

For a guy who couldn't see the merit in landing a guy like Warren, you sure know a lot about basketball talent. LMAO.

You've obviously got a hard on for Capel. He's a good coach. Don't be surprised to see him land a better job in the future at a place where people can appreciate good coaching and fill the stands to see the talent that coach brings in.

Collier11
2/29/2008, 12:56 AM

WTF are you talking about??!!!?? THis team wouldnt have 15 wins this season without Coach Capel, he is the reason we have beaten the teams we have beaten this year and have a legit shot at the tourney when we were outmanned and less-talented in almost every game!

cheezyq
2/29/2008, 10:56 AM

Did you really ask that question? OF COURSE it makes a difference what he played in college. That's just a ridiculous question.

What on earth have you seen about our guards that tell you that they have all this "talent"? Capel has clearly called plays that get our players in position to score. Our players just aren't hitting them. How's that Capel's fault? Go back and watch the first half of the Texass game. We had numerous opportunities to score with wide open shots and even layups, and we couldn't even hit any of those. Our shooting percentage was less than 17%.

I'll agree that a coach is responsible for not being prepared and problems like that, but Capel can't put the ball in the basket for the players. At some point the players have to take it upon themselves to get the ball into the hoop before turning it over or letting the shot clock drain to 0.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/29/2008, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=LittleWingSooner]Does it really matter what position he played in college? And does he directly coach our guards? QUOTE]

How can I put this nicely.

You're a freaking idiot.

No Capel as the last part of OU's NCAA's sanctions is not allowed to have eye contact and has a translator that he speaks through to the guards even though he really doesn't know anything about being a PG having done it at a high level playing for Coach K and all plus severel years coaching experience. He usually just lets Coach J lead the guards in some aerobics while he learns from Longar Longar how to say tell dirty jokes in 6 different languages.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/29/2008, 01:11 PM
A good point that was just made during the zona/usuc game on ESPN is that the Selection committee is trained to look at every team like an independent and not to look too much at conf standings. This will help us if we finish up at 8-8 and tied for 4-7th or whatever it ends up being

Yeah. I think conference standings matter if you are trying to compare 2 bubble teams from the same league but I'd rather by 8-8 and say 21-11 overall with a high RPI like 35 than have a horrible non-conf record and finish say 10-6 but 18-14 overall with an RPI in the 80's.

LittleWingSooner
2/29/2008, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=LittleWingSooner]Does it really matter what position he played in college? And does he directly coach our guards? QUOTE]

How can I put this nicely.

You're a freaking idiot.

No Capel as the last part of OU's NCAA's sanctions is not allowed to have eye contact and has a translator that he speaks through to the guards even though he really doesn't know anything about being a PG having done it at a high level playing for Coach K and all plus severel years coaching experience. He usually just lets Coach J lead the guards in some aerobics while he learns from Longar Longar how to say tell dirty jokes in 6 different languages.

Sanctions may have effected him the first year here. I can see that. But those sanctions are gone now. And we still have good talent here. These guys were all top 100 type recruits except for maybe Godbold. And he has probably ended up better than anyone thought he would be. It's not like we have no talent here. They just aren't used to the best of their abilities.

I'm not sure Capel can get guys to play at a better level than they are also. Billy and Kelvin did a great job of making sometimes average or below average players play really good. They didn't necessarily need top recruits. I'm not sure if Capel has shown the coaching ability to make players better than average from the first 2 seasons. Especially guards. And it may not be his fault because for all I know he doesn't coach the guards at all.

Ash
2/29/2008, 02:13 PM
[QUOTE=Rock Hard Corn Frog]

Sanctions may have effected him the first year here. I can see that. But those sanctions are gone now. And we still have good talent here. These guys were all top 100 type recruits except for maybe Godbold. And he has probably ended up better than anyone thought he would be. It's not like we have no talent here. They just aren't used to the best of their abilities.

I'm not sure Capel can get guys to play at a better level than they are also. Billy and Kelvin did a great job of making sometimes average or below average players play really good. They didn't necessarily need top recruits. I'm not sure if Capel has shown the coaching ability to make players better than average from the first 2 seasons. Especially guards. And it may not be his fault because for all I know he doesn't coach the guards at all.

Yup, Wayman and Stacey couldn't ball. Thank god they were coached up.

I think you should dust off your resume and send it to Joe, then you could show Capel and us how it's supposed to be done, coach.

LittleWingSooner
2/29/2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=LittleWingSooner]

Yup, Wayman and Stacey couldn't ball. Thank god they were coached up.

I think you should dust off your resume and send it to Joe, then you could show Capel and us how it's supposed to be done, coach.

And Kelvin had some great talent like Price and Najera and Brewer and others. But look at some of the other guys those 2 had. The David Seiger's, Rickey Grace's, Tim Heskett, John Ontjes just to name a few. These guys probably weren't filled with abilities but they fit their roles well and they contributed in those systems. Right now we have no role players outside of Godbold at times. I think we have talent at the guard spot. They just don't seem to be coached well and have no roles.

SleestakSooner
2/29/2008, 03:40 PM
I think we have talent at the guard spot. They just don't seem to be coached well and have no roles.

"Thinking" was your first mistake. Sharing your thoughts on the innerwebs was your second. Not realizing that that no one gives a **** what you think is your greatest blunder.

LittleWingSooner
2/29/2008, 03:49 PM
"Thinking" was your first mistake. Sharing your thoughts on the innerwebs was your second. Not realizing that that no one gives a **** what you think is your greatest blunder.

Why would anyone give a **** about what I think?

Collier11
2/29/2008, 03:51 PM
"Thinking" was your first mistake. Sharing your thoughts on the innerwebs was your second. Not realizing that nothing you say is within comprehension is your greatest blunder.

FIXED! :D

Collier11
2/29/2008, 03:52 PM
Why would anyone give a **** about what I think?

The smartest thing you have ever said!!!

LittleWingSooner
2/29/2008, 09:21 PM

It's a freakin' opinion. That's all I've got you can either agree or disagree. I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about me that's a retarded thing to worry about anyway. People care too much themselves and think they are better than everyone.

Ash
3/1/2008, 04:22 PM
Wow, the quote function got all whacked out there for a few posts. Hard to tell who I was arguing with. :D

Ground_Attack
3/1/2008, 04:28 PM

spek! one of the funniest posts I have ever read! :D

OUSKINS
3/1/2008, 04:59 PM
Prediction: Davis starts on Saturday

What, no love for that? :)

Collier11
3/1/2008, 05:07 PM
What, no love for that? :)

good job Cade ;)

stoopified
3/3/2008, 01:46 AM
I said before the season I thought we could go 21-10 this year and many told me I was overly optimistic.Here we are at 19-10 with 2 games to go and while I don't think we will win both of our final 2 games,I think its been a good year.

Let me expand on that by saying I thought we would be 21-10 IF we stayed healthy and at full strength for the year.Well that didn't happen as Blake has suffered TWO kne injuries,L2 has been playing with a broken leg,and we lost Clark to grades.For us to be 19-10 and 7-7 with our post problems is remarkable.

Most everyone knew that our strength was in the middle this yesr and to have that strength diluted and still be where we are at is a testament to Capel AND the heart our players have shown.While I am disappointed in how this season is winding down,I am NOT disappointed in MY team or MY coach.

Ash
3/3/2008, 11:55 AM
I said before the season I thought we could go 21-10 this year and many told me I was overly optimistic.Here we are at 19-10 with 2 games to go and while I don't think we will win both of our final 2 games,I think its been a good year.

Let me expand on that by saying I thought we would be 21-10 IF we stayed healthy and at full strength for the year.Well that didn't happen as Blake has suffered TWO kne injuries,L2 has been playing with a broken leg,and we lost Clark to grades.For us to be 19-10 and 7-7 with our post problems is remarkable.

Most everyone knew that our strength was in the middle this yesr and to have that strength diluted and still be where we are at is a testament to Capel AND the heart our players have shown.While I am disappointed in how this season is winding down,I am NOT disappointed in MY team or MY coach.

I feel much the same. My prediction was 19 wins this season. It's still not over, though. We'll see how it goes. If the guards can just play consistently well for a few games, this team could surprise some people.

King Crimson
3/3/2008, 01:51 PM

i think this is a good post. i'm more frustrated than disappointed, though. now losing to Colorado in football and hoops is real bad stuff for my daily life. so, it could be worse fer all y'all.

i was pretty consistent here and other boards that being a bubble team and 9-7 in conference was a reasonable goal for this team. at this point, pretty happy with where we are at though the inexplicable turds we lay sometimes @NU, @CU trouble me. with Blake out, i think we better start scouting Mizzou. gotta win that one, and they've had some stupid success in our building the last few times. and, while we like ugly and they like ugly....we can't afford to play their ugly style of ball.

bottom line: make the tournament and the season is a success. that's just the way it is.

sure woulda been nice to have Moose. but, he made that bed.

wishbonesooner
3/3/2008, 03:26 PM
What more could Capel do to show you he can coach? Do you want him to throw a chair or choke a player? We're damn fortunate to have him, and when he leaves Norman for the big time in a few years, we'll damn sure miss him.

Collier11
3/3/2008, 03:26 PM
What more could Capel do to show you he can coach? Do you want him to throw a chair or choke a player? We're damn fortunate to have him, and when he leaves Norman for the big time in a few years, we'll damn sure miss him.

I prefer to think that OU will be big time again in a few years due to Capel rather than him leaving for the big time

DFQGrounds
3/3/2008, 03:59 PM
I agree with Stoopified and Collier11 - It has been a pretty good year with all that has happened via injuries, etc.

I hope Capel (and the boys) can get some good fortune next season -- and really maybe playing in the NIT wouldn't be all bad if we can last longer there and get more games/practices under our belts for "next year"!

stoopified
3/6/2008, 08:34 AM
Damn,I didn't see that coming!The 68-56 W at GIA was apleasent SHOCK (not just surprise) to me.NIT?I don't think so!

Bourbon St Sooner
3/6/2008, 08:49 AM

Capel's a stud

You're a dud

Go back to the aggie boards

Breadburner
3/6/2008, 10:15 AM
Fire Stoops....Oops wrong forum....

Collier11
3/6/2008, 12:10 PM
Capel's a stud

You're a dud

Go back to the aggie boards

Boom Shock-a-locka!!!

jdsooner
3/6/2008, 02:33 PM
After last night, I REPENT! NCAA here we come! Great win.
I am listening to Greg Swaim give it up to Jeff Capel on Stillwater radio!

tulsaoilerfan
3/6/2008, 03:51 PM
i heard that last night was the sooners largest victory margin in stoolwater since around 90; can anyone confirm?

dolemitesooner
3/6/2008, 04:01 PM
Negs coming to all doom sayers

GoState
3/6/2008, 04:22 PM
I am listening to Greg Swaim...

Ewwww.

Ardmore_Sooner
3/6/2008, 04:23 PM
107-94 in 1990, last time we won that big.

jdsooner
3/6/2008, 05:53 PM

So, now this guy's personal mission is to put me in all red on my spek.
He says he is a sponsor and has "a big hammer."
I say, "Little _____, big hammer.";)

dolemitesooner
3/6/2008, 06:00 PM
No I said I was a sponser and that I could see who negged me even if it was not signed. Then I said your hammer is samll mine is big.

Yes it is samll 4 1/2 inches on a good day

birddog
3/6/2008, 06:08 PM
doleo's packing some heat in his trousers.

jdsooner
3/6/2008, 06:16 PM
No I said I was a sponser and that I could see who negged me even if it was not signed. Then I said your hammer is samll mine is big.

Yes it is samll 4 1/2 inches on a good day

Spelling lesson: sponsor, not sponser.:P

jdsooner
3/6/2008, 06:28 PM
WOW I never negged you. I was ****ing joking, but little did you know I am a sponser and I can see who speks me. Oh and enjoy alot of red because my spek hammer is WAY BIGGER

So what, if you make my spek red, just call me:

BIG RED!!:hot:

OUSKINS
3/6/2008, 06:59 PM

Lame. Gotta define "doom sayer." I said Capel did a horrible job in Nebraska, period. And I essentially got negged for it? Lame. There was really only one person in that thread that wa saying we had lost hope for the NCAA. The NU game was an abomination in terms of effort, yet for what seems like the hundreth time this year, Capel rallied the troops and we are now basically in the Dance.

I gave Capel an F- for that game, but an A for the year. Neg the right people next time.

birddog
3/6/2008, 07:40 PM
doleo, what are you even doing in a sports thread? :D

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 08:37 PM
good call on the original post :rolleyes:

Jay C. Upchurch
3/7/2008, 10:34 AM

Not going to say I told you so, because the Sooners still have to go out and beat Missouri on Saturday.... but if you've really paid attention to this team throughout the season then you should have seen another stretch of good performances coming. Granted, the results from Stillwater are a little surprising considering they did it without Blake Griffin - but if the guards come to play, this team has a chance to win every time out. Unfortunately, that has been the biggest issue... inconsistency.

If recent history continues to repeat itself, Blake's return should provide a nice little spark like it did the first time he came back from the knee injury... depending on how the bracket plays out, it would be nice to see the Sooners get one or two wins in the Big 12 Tourney and then scratch out a victory in the Big Dance... that would set a good tone for 2008-09, when they may only be a point guard away from being a legitimate contender.

dolemitesooner
3/7/2008, 10:39 AM
doleo, what are you even doing in a sports thread? :D

Umm because I like OU sports. I go to nearly all the home Basketball games. I only missed Texas at home and one early in the year to no name state. I was there when we lost to stephen f austin, and I was in okc when we beat gonazaga

NormanPride
3/7/2008, 10:46 AM
Big fan, small ****. :D

I keed, I keed...

jdsooner
3/7/2008, 12:18 PM
Let us pray that Capel does not go to South Carolina or somewhere else. We need him to remain at OU.

dolemitesooner
3/7/2008, 12:41 PM
Big fan, small ****. :D

I keed, I keed...

:D :D