PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/27/2008, 08:32 PM
Do any of you computer nerds ;) have suggestions on what to buy? My mom's computer was totally infested with the stuff and I had Firedog clean it up. Lo and behold, I got online immediately afterwards and got a pop up offering spyware service even though the registry is now clean.

Firedog suggested SanaSecurity and CA Antivirus. Are those good choices?

Mixer!
2/27/2008, 08:39 PM
I use Webroot spysweeper w/ anti-virus.

Sooner_Havok
2/27/2008, 08:41 PM
Do any of you computer nerds ;) have suggestions on what to buy? My mom's computer was totally infested with the stuff and I had Firedog clean it up. Lo and behold, I got online immediately afterwards and got a pop up offering spyware service even though the registry is now clean.

No

AVG is free and is way better than those two. MacAfee and Symantec are the standards however

Sooner_Bob
2/27/2008, 08:53 PM
AVG is the way to go . . . Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php) is good for looking for spyware.

Sooner_Havok
2/27/2008, 08:56 PM
AVG is the way to go . . . Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad-aware_se_personal.php) is good for looking for spyware.

Ad-Aware is good for spyware

Sooner_Havok
2/27/2008, 08:57 PM
Both available here (http://www.download.com/Antivirus-Firewall-Spyware/)

OU-HSV
2/27/2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks to tips from on here I've been using AVG the last several weeks. Seems to be good stuff.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107264

Sooner_Havok
2/27/2008, 09:00 PM
Thanks to tips from on here I've been using AVG the last several weeks. Seems to be good stuff.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107264

Heh, actual user testimonial. :D

GottaHavePride
2/27/2008, 09:49 PM
Trend Micro. If you're down for spending money anyway, go for it. I haven't had a problem since installing it.

Well, my computer DID assplode, but that's because the heatsink fell off the CPU, and if they've developed spyware that can do THAT, well, I'll eat my computer. One delicious piece at a time.

OCUDad
2/27/2008, 09:50 PM
By all means get Ad-Aware. It's free and good at finding spyware.

AVG has the best reputation of the free antivirus programs.

I use NOD32 from eSet - it's the most effective, yet "skinniest" AV program I've ever used. By "skinny," I mean it doesn't slow your computer down - something for which Symantec and McAfee are notorious, especially during a scan. I was willing to pay a little for the efficiency and speed it provides. It's darn near invisible, yet provides excellent protection.

VeeJay
2/27/2008, 09:51 PM
I got online immediately afterwards and got a pop up offering spyware service even though the registry is now clean.

That sounds sorta geekish to me.

Sooner5030
2/27/2008, 09:51 PM
I switched my O/S to Linux about a year ago. Have not had a virus, worm or trojan horse since. Just protect your root password.

VeeJay
2/27/2008, 09:52 PM
You said "trojan."

Curly Bill
2/27/2008, 09:59 PM
it doesn't slow your computer down - something for which Symantec and McAfee are notorious, especially during a scan.

This is sure the truth. :mad:

I will not be re-upping with them when the time comes.

OU-HSV
2/27/2008, 10:05 PM
Heh, actual user testimonial. :D
Word!

shaun4411
2/27/2008, 10:07 PM
while ad-ware is a good adware/spyware tool, i would venture as far as to say that spybot search and destroy is about as good as it gets (for free at least)

for the virii out there, i would reccomend avg. it is free, and is usually better than a lot of pay services. there is a pay avg program, and it is great. i think it even does some spyware/adware duties.

ive used nothing but avg and spybot or adware for the past 5 years and i havent been afflicted by anything since the blaster worm came out.

OUAndy1807
2/27/2008, 10:15 PM
I like AVG and Adaware, but neither seems to get rid of this Systemdefender ****.

Sooner_Havok
2/27/2008, 10:16 PM
I like AVG and Adaware, but neither seems to get rid of this Systemdefender ****.

Yeah, I found a great program to get rid of that. It' s called OS X.

bluedogok
2/28/2008, 12:49 AM
I use the AVG Internet Security (http://www.grisoft.com/ww.product-avg-internet-security) program (Anti-Virus, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Spam, LinkScanner & Firewall), it is cheaper than Norton without the Norton headaches. I have a 5-License pack here at home and installed it on my mother's laptop when we were in OKC this weekend, she hasn't had any issues with it and she is a bit of a technophobe.

Yeah, I found a great program to get rid of that. It' s called OS X.
Does it run AutoCAD, Revit, 3DSMax, MentalRay or Combustion?.....didn't think so.
It ain't "great" if it can't run what software you need it to run.

Sooner_Havok
2/28/2008, 01:01 AM
Does it run AutoCAD, Revit, 3DSMax, MentalRay or Combustion?.....didn't think so.
It ain't "great" if it can't run what software you need it to run.

Actually, I got AutoCAD to run on my buddy's new MacBook Pro. Hell, runs better on it than it does on the giant WinBox desktop he built to run AutoCAD.

Bootcamp = win :D

Honostly, windows runs better on a Mac than it does on just about any other hardware configuration. Best thing is, when you are done doing what you need to do, you just close windows and are back to one of the most stable OS's ever built.

Kinda sucks having to own the POS OS, but you are right, most companies design software to run on the most popular OS. But most popular doesn't= most best :D

bluedogok
2/28/2008, 01:16 AM
I haven't had problems with XP, of course I don't click on every dancing monkey that pops up either.......

I would much rather be running it on Sun or SGI Unix boxes but that isn't an option anymore either.

Sooner_Havok
2/28/2008, 01:25 AM
I haven't had problems with XP, of course I don't click on every dancing monkey that pops up either.......

I would much rather be running it on Sun or SGI Unix boxes but that isn't an option anymore either.

I just got tired of all the bloatware on the winboxes. I went linux first, but after a lot of thought I went Mac. I never clicked to get free ringtones, or tried to punch the fat guys fastes, but my winbox was just to full of bloat. Then Vista came along and forced my hand a bit more. Get a new computer with an OS that will be obsolete soon then get the even more bloated vista, or get a new computer that has a simple OS that can also run microsoft OS in a pinch.

Sooner_Havok
2/28/2008, 01:55 AM
Mac vs. PC vs. Linux (http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/02/mac-vs-pc-vs-li.html)
:D

Sooner5030
2/28/2008, 02:26 AM
Mac vs. PC vs. Linux (http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2008/02/mac-vs-pc-vs-li.html)
:D

Pretty funny stuff. I use Linux (Fedora 8) on my toshiba laptop and it works great. When I have an issue or need a driver I can just go to one of the linux forums and within minutes multiple linux geeks are there to help...for free...just like th O/S and packages.

As cell phones/PDAs start becoming more like computers you'll see linux get a larger portion of the market.

Ike
2/28/2008, 02:50 AM
Pretty funny stuff. I use Linux (Fedora 8) on my toshiba laptop and it works great. When I have an issue or need a driver I can just go to one of the linux forums and within minutes multiple linux geeks are there to help...for free...just like th O/S and packages.

As cell phones/PDAs start becoming more like computers you'll see linux get a larger portion of the market.

I'd say you've been lucky with drivers.

I use linux at work. While it makes certain tasks (usually the ones I wind up having to do most often) far easier than windows could ever hope to, setting up a computer can be like pulling teeth if it's got even a modicum of fancy new hardware. Even if you can find a driver, often times, the driver doesn't enable half of the features of your hardware. Whats worse than the drivers though is when you update package xyz, and the update renders 10 other packages that were far more useful than package xyz completely useless, requiring a re-compiling of those 10 packages...sometimes with further cascading.

Lucky for me, my laptop is a mac, which has all of the features I need from linux and is a bit more reliable I find. I have had it for about 9 months now and have yet to have to take a whole day just to make sure everything was working the way it should be. Something I had to do on my old linux box about once a month.

Don't get me wrong...I like linux. But like any other OS, it has its own set of issues, and IMHO, the issues particular to linux are roadblocks toward it's gaining mainstream acceptance.

Sooner5030
2/28/2008, 03:43 AM
I'd say you've been lucky with drivers.

I use linux at work. .

You get to use Linux at work? You must have a pretty cool information Assurance department. Mine would freak out.

Anyway, I am still a Linux novice and I only tried it after a bug totally wiped out my hard drive. The first few days I did have to do alot of work and research but I was so mad at windows I was willing to put in the work.

I still run into small problems. When I bought a 4th gen IPOD nano I couldn't get GTKpod to take over the device. It appears apple has placed some hash marks that prevent this. I returned the IPOD and went with an Iriver B20 instead.

Everywhere I read tells me that the viruses just don't work on Linux. You only concern is someone taking your root and access your machine.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/28/2008, 07:23 AM
Well I went with AVG. We'll see how it works. Thanks all!

VeeJay
2/28/2008, 09:13 AM
Glad to have been of help!!!

Heh - I called you a geek and made a condom reference.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2008, 09:18 AM
I downloaded the Ad-aware and tried to install it. I get an "Error 1327 Invalide Drive E"??? Prolly downloaded a trojan or french wiggler or sump'n:mad:

Ike
2/28/2008, 09:21 AM
Everywhere I read tells me that the viruses just don't work on Linux. You only concern is someone taking your root and access your machine.

thats 100% wrong. While it's true that most viruses that are out 'in the wild' don't work on linux, thats only because they have been designed specifically to exploit holes in MS software (and in a couple of cases mac software). Linux has it's fair share of holes too, and if someone designed a virus to exploit one of those, that virus would work on linux. There are plenty of holes out there too that can give exploitative code root access as well, so it's not enough to just protect the root password. Generally, these get patched pretty fast. And if you don't go out downloading source code packages willy nilly, processes like yum do a pretty good job of keeping those packages updated. But if there is some uber cool package you just had to have, and you downloaded and compiled it yourself, and it winds up having a nasty hole, the only way to get it updated is to wait for the author to release a patch and go and get it yourself.

You get to use Linux at work? You must have a pretty cool information Assurance department. Mine would freak out.

WTF is an information assurance department? Nobody assures us of our information. We have to do that ourselves!

VeeJay
2/28/2008, 09:23 AM
WTF is an information assurance department? Nobody assures us of our information. We have to do that ourselves!

Word. At my place I'm lucky to even get any information.