PDA

View Full Version : Move Over Coors

Mjcpr
2/27/2008, 08:20 PM
A Tulsa brewery.......who knew?

Tulsa Brewery Bringing Beer Back

They are building a dream inside an old tire warehouse on 6th Street near downtown.

Eric Marshall of Marshall Brewing Company is putting together Tulsa's first production brewery in about 70 years is not a brew pub or a brew pub restaurant, just a brewery.

Beer will soon be brewed in Tulsa again. The first real production brewery in Tulsa since before World War II is almost ready. The News On 6's Rick Wells reports a young entrepreneur is about to turn his love of the lager into a dream come true.

They are building a dream inside an old tire warehouse on 6th Street near downtown.

Eric Marshall of Marshall Brewing Company is putting together Tulsa's first production brewery in about 70 years is not a brew pub or a brew pub restaurant, just a brewery.

"Pretty much be focused on making beer and shipping it out the door," said Marshall.

The boiler is being installed that will cook the malted barley that will eventually become the beer.

This all started in Marshall's own kitchen making little batches of beer as a hobbyist, and then came a degree from the University of Tulsa in international business and German.

"During that time I went and studied in Germany in the spring and summer semesters of my junior year and basically fell in love with the culture of beer," said Marshall.

So unlike many young men who go off to college, Marshall began to perfect the art of making beer.

After college he learned more at brewing school and apprenticeships at half a dozen German breweries.

Once the boiler is in and the painting's done he'll be right on the door step of his first batch.

"Traditionally you've got four ingredients: water, yeast, malted barley and hops," said Marshall.

Not to mention the money, time and sweat it takes to make a dream come true.

Marshall hopes to begin making his first batch of beer in a few weeks.
It will then be six weeks or so after that before you can find the new brew in local bars and restaurants.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=7935745

SoonerStormchaser
2/27/2008, 08:25 PM
Poor SicEm...he was hoping it was a Zima brewery.

OU-HSV
2/27/2008, 09:07 PM
Poor SicEm...he was hoping it was a Zima brewery.
w/a jolly rancher factory right next door :D

OU-HSV
2/27/2008, 09:08 PM
Oh and thanks for posting Mjcpr. That's great and exciting news. I look forward to trying this stuff.

bri
2/27/2008, 09:09 PM
It figures that they'd put it RIGHT NEXT TO THE NEW JAIL. They should have put it in Brookside! :mad:

:D

Whet
2/27/2008, 10:29 PM
This is a friend of mine in Oregon - picture was taken in 2003.

http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/271/dsc02666yz1.jpg

bluedogok
2/28/2008, 12:58 AM
The Huebert Brewing Company opened up in OKC in 2003. I saw some of their Root Beer at Pops last weekend.

Modern Brewery Age, Sept 22, 2003 - Oklahoma family starts microbrewery - Huebert Brewing Co - Weekly Brewer's Report (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3469/is_38_54/ai_109669674)

I went to the beer festival at the Tulsa Brewing Company a couple of times, it was good.

Boomer.....
2/28/2008, 09:04 AM
Nice! I wonder which bars will sell it.

King Crimson
2/28/2008, 09:05 AM
that's pretty cool. hope they 1. make a decent product and 2. people support them.

BigRedJed
2/28/2008, 10:32 AM
Some friends of mine are working on starting a new brewery here. They have been batching beers for the past 2-3 years with an experienced brewer, and have mostly settled on their initial lineup. They took a lot of ideas from a couple of trips to Colorado and the Pacific Northwest, visiting places like Rogue, Left Hand and New Belgium. I've tried a number of their beers, and they are unreal. Extremely solid.

They've already got their branding established, and have branding/label designs done for each variety. One of the guys has a boutique advertising agency, so they came up with a great look for everything. They think they have settled on an industrial space, and are working on capital right now (looks pretty promising). They have also been working diligently on the distribution angle (not easy), and I think they'll be able to bring it to market soon. Hope they get it done. Oklahoma could use some good microbreweries.

sooneron
2/28/2008, 10:34 AM
there's a lot of deja vu going on in that post, Pat

Okla-homey
2/28/2008, 11:15 AM

Beer will soon be brewed in Tulsa again. The first real production brewery in Tulsa since before World War II is almost ready. The News On 6's Rick Wells reports a young entrepreneur is about to turn his love of the lager into a dream come true.

"Pretty much be focused on making beer and shipping it out the door," said Marshall.

The boiler is being installed that will cook the malted barley that will eventually become the beer.

This all started in Marshall's own kitchen making little batches of beer as a hobbyist, and then came a degree from the University of Tulsa in international business and German.

"During that time I went and studied in Germany in the spring and summer semesters of my junior year and basically fell in love with the culture of beer," said Marshall.

So unlike many young men who go off to college, Marshall began to perfect the art of making beer.

After college he learned more at brewing school and apprenticeships at half a dozen German breweries.

Once the boiler is in and the painting's done he'll be right on the door step of his first batch.

"Traditionally you've got four ingredients: water, yeast, malted barley and hops," said Marshall.

It will then be six weeks or so after that before you can find the new brew in local bars and restaurants.

I know the guy's dad. We ran in the same circles back in the day. I don't give the project much of a chance because our wacky beer laws (don't get me started) do not permit them to sell the beer for on-premises consumption.

In my experience, the micro-brewers who make it start out by making their product at a site where folks can come in and quaff a pints of the product at the bar over a nice snack plate.

Okla-homey
2/28/2008, 11:18 AM

I know the guy's dad. We ran in the same circles back in the day. I don't give the project much of a chance because our wacky beer laws (don't get me started) do not permit them to sell the beer for on-premises consumption.

In my experience, the micro-brewers who make it start out by making their product at a site where folks can come in and quaff a pints of the product at the bar over a nice snack plate.

Also, unless its low-point beer, he can't hope to sell direct to any retailers. High-point, which is actually beer worthy of the name, can't be sold except through the wholesale liquor mafiosi in Oklahoma. Good luck on busting into that market.

NormanPride
2/28/2008, 11:21 AM
Let's go ahead and turn this thread into an "Oklahoma needs alcohol law reform" thread. :D

BigRedJed
2/28/2008, 11:21 AM

Also, unless its low-point beer, he can't hope to sell direct to any retailers. High-point, which is actually beer worthy of the name, can't be sold except through the wholesale liquor mafiosi in Oklahoma. Good luck on busting into that market.
Believe it or not, I think my boys have both of those issues covered. I don't want to let the cat out of the bag, but you will probably be able to have a pint more or less on site, in an already established place.

And the distribution angle is one of the things they have been concentrating on the most, and I think their plan is pretty promising.

BigRedJed
2/28/2008, 11:22 AM
Oh, and it's strong beer. 3.2 beer is a waste of time for everybody.

GottaHavePride
2/28/2008, 11:28 AM
Let's go ahead and turn this thread into an "Oklahoma needs alcohol law reform" thread. :D

From what I heard, Beer Independence Day was a glorious event in Atlanta.

They approved brewing up to 15% alcohol beer, I believe.

TUSooner
2/28/2008, 01:05 PM
That kind of news might make me start think the world is not all bad.

Boomer.....
2/28/2008, 03:18 PM
This might not be good after all!

Beer contains girl hormones

Last month, The University of Queensland scientists released the results of a recent analysis that revealed the presence of female hormones in beer. Men should take a concerned look at their beer consumption.

The theory is that beer contains female hormones (hops contain
phytoestrogens) and that by drinking enough beer, men turn into women.

To test the theory, 100 men drank 8 pints of beer each within a 1 hour period. It was then observed that 100% of the test subjects:

1) Argued over nothing.

2) Refused to apologize when obviously wrong.

3) Gained weight.

4) Talked excessively without making sense.

5) Became overly emotional.

6) Couldn't drive.

7) Failed to think rationally.

8) Had to sit down while urinating.

No further testing was considered necessary.

Chuck Bao
2/28/2008, 03:30 PM
This might not be good after all!

That has to be wrong.

I mean if Olevet drinks enough Natty Lite, he'll be like growing bewbs and stuff. And, that's a scary thought.

It must be faulty research.