PDA

View Full Version : Do you salute...

Chuck Bao
2/27/2008, 05:52 AM
...security guards? They always salute me and I sometimes can't stop a natural tendency to salute back and I've never been in the military and I feel so silly. What do you do when that happens? Just wondering.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2008, 06:51 AM
you do not salute them back

just smile and say thank you, or have a good day

Chuck Bao
2/27/2008, 07:03 AM
you do not salute them back

just smile and say thank you, or have a good day

That sounds fine and well, but while you are in a car? I can wave, but that seems pretty silly too.

I know, next time I'll try the Nixon salute.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2008, 07:09 AM
if you are in a car, they arent saluting you specifically - just smile and drive on

Chuck Bao
2/27/2008, 07:16 AM
if you are in a car, they arent saluting you specifically - just smile and drive on

And, not use my hands to wave or anything? I grew up in a small town in Oklahoma. We wave at everyone, whether we know them or not, just in case.

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2008, 07:48 AM
waving is fine!

sooneron
2/27/2008, 09:17 AM
This thread is hilarious...

and a little educational.

sooner_born_1960
2/27/2008, 09:24 AM
I pass through a security checkpoint every morning. I have never had the security guards salute me. I do say; "Good morning" most of the time.

Widescreen
2/27/2008, 09:35 AM
I pass through a security checkpoint every morning. I have never had the security guards salute me. I do say; "Good morning" most of the time.
Are they checking you for IED's?

BTW - Security guards saluting? Isn't that a little like the aTm pretend soldiers doing anything military?

sooner_born_1960
2/27/2008, 09:41 AM
Are they checking you for IED's?

BTW - Security guards saluting? Isn't that a little like the aTm pretend soldiers doing anything military?
What does birth conrtrol have to do with anything?

No, they're just checking badges, and vehicle decals.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/27/2008, 10:20 AM
George,

The guys at the Harindhorn would salute and click their heels when I entered the lobby. I would nod back at them...

Curly Bill
2/27/2008, 10:35 AM
Saluting by anyone not in the military is ghey.

sooner_born_1960
2/27/2008, 10:35 AM
Why do you hate the Boy Scouts?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2008, 10:37 AM
I find the Three Amigos salute always fits the occasion

Curly Bill
2/27/2008, 10:38 AM
Why do you hate the Boy Scouts?

Boys Scouts...pffffft, little pretend soldiers. ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/27/2008, 10:43 AM
you know the difference between the boy scouts and the army?

adult supervision

2/27/2008, 11:21 AM
Man, I must be going to the wrong mall.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/27/2008, 01:50 PM
Man, I must be going to the wrong mall.

Well, you would have to travel to Thailand.

But many Asian security people would salute me as I entered the building. I think it is an Asian thing.

Chuck Bao
2/27/2008, 02:03 PM
Well, you would have to travel to Thailand.

But many Asian security people would salute me as I entered the building. I think it is an Asian thing.

And, it's a Thai thing to wai and security guards salute instead of wai. It's just that I can't help myself to wai back at waitresses at restaurants and salute back at security guards. It's an involuntary reaction that I can't seem to control.

MamaMia
2/27/2008, 02:10 PM
When saluted by security guards in uniform, Miss Manners says that proper etiquette would be to nod at them, if you are in uniform as well. If you are not in uniform, you are just suppose to wink and wiggle your fingers back in a hello fashion.

Chuck Bao
2/27/2008, 02:18 PM
I ain't winking and wiggling my fingers. But, I have a serious hand problem. Instead of the Nixon peace salute, I should try the two snaps and head bob for a change.

Chuck Bao
2/28/2008, 01:53 PM
The thing is that I insist they search my backpack every time I enter the building. I would like to think that security is there for a reason and they protect all of us.

Because I appreciate what they do, I gave them all red lucky packets during Chinese New Year.

It just occurred to me that that may be one of the reasons I'm getting saluted more often now.

Ike
2/28/2008, 01:55 PM
Maybe they think you are Tyler Durdin?

Can you be sure that you are not Tyler Durdin?

Chuck Bao
2/28/2008, 02:07 PM
Maybe they think you are Tyler Durdin?

Can you be sure that you are not Tyler Durdin?

Oh Dear God! No! I could see where someone could short the market and... But, no! I would know nothing of manufacturing soap and other things. And, I'm not denying I have some alter ego/self running around wrecking havoc as a tranny or something. That's more my style.

Sooner5030
2/28/2008, 04:36 PM
Alot of Japanese and Korean security guards render a hand salute when I am not in uniform. It's a matter of respect..kinda like when we slightly bow when saying onyosayo or kanetchiwa to our host.