PDA

View Full Version : What is the protocol when someine dings your car?

RedStripe
2/26/2008, 03:13 PM
Today is very windy and this guy opened his door and it slams into my car while I was getting ready to back out. It left a smudge of his paint on the plastic door guard on my car (03’ 4Runner). I was able to rub it off and there is no dent or chipping on my car. Anyway what if he had dented or chipped the paint? What is my course of action?

TIA

SoonerStormchaser
2/26/2008, 03:14 PM
Shoot him!

YWIA

Sooner_Bob
2/26/2008, 03:21 PM
Did he even acknowledge that it happened?

crawfish
2/26/2008, 03:21 PM
beat his hood with your tire iron.

JohnnyMack
2/26/2008, 03:23 PM
If you had a trunk monkey, you would have your answer.

MamaMia
Ask if hes sleeping with a police officer. If so, you're screwed. Just leave and hope they don't blame you for something.

If not and it happens on private property, take a photo of him, his license plate/tag number and the of damage. Get his drivers license information and the information off his insurance card. I'd snap a photo of that too. Call his broker with him standing right there to make sure he hasn't been canceled.

sooner_born_1960
Door dings happen.

frankensooner
2/26/2008, 03:27 PM
Door ding do happen, unless it renders your vehicle undriveable, I would ignore it. Reason #3,657 of why never to buy a new car. ;)

OKLA21FAN
2/26/2008, 03:33 PM
ding him back! ding him back!!!!!

ding for a ding
its Biblical :pop:

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 03:44 PM
When I was living in Norman, I had my first new car ever. One day, a girl that lived a few doors down parked next to me, as she often did. Apparently at some point she tried to load a laundry basket in her back seat, and the wind grabbed the door and slammed it into mine, creating a nice dimple/crease, and leaving some of her white paint in the center.

I didn't see the whole thing, but I did walk out to my car at some point that day and immediately notice the ding on my drivers side door. Since she had been a coward and slunk off (is "slunk" even a word?) to another space around the corner, I had no idea who caused it. No idea, that is, until a different neighbor who had seen the whole thing approached me and ratted her out.

Needless to say, I was ****ed. I went over to her car, and sure enough, there was corresponding slate paint on the edge of the door, which matched up precisely with the height of my damage. I took photos of both cars, with a tape measure for reference, and called my insurance company for guidance. Of course, they reminded me that I had a $500 deductible, and suggested I get her insurance info.

So I sees her in the parking lot later that day, or maybe the next, and I confront her as nicely as possible (I really was remarkably restrained). I told her that someone had told me what she had done, and that all I needed to get was her insurance info. She totally played dumb, and acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. She said it was her dad's insurance and that she wouldn't give me the number even if she had done it, because she didn't want his premium to go up. I think my parting words were some mumblings about how proud her dad would be.

Shortly after, I was confronted by her scrawny, mullet-wearing boyfriend in the parking lot, who threatened to whip me if I ever talked to his girl again. Said he knew which apartment was mine. I've never been a "tough guy," ever. But I was pretty hacked at this point, and suggested that he commence to whipping, but that he might want to call a friend first. He backed down, but said he'd show up at my door if I ever talked to her again. I suggested that he bring a gun, because I would have mine in hand when I answered, if I ever saw him through the peephole.

Anyway, I spoke with the Norman po-po, who said I didn't have much recourse, private property, not a traffic offense, uncooperative person, less than a certain amount of damage, blah, blah.

I ended up paying to have the dent fixed by a paintless dent repair, and I'm still a little bitter about it.

Hope that helps.

shaun4411
2/26/2008, 04:13 PM
Today is very windy and this guy opened his door and it slams into my car while I was getting ready to back out. It left a smudge of his paint on the plastic door guard on my car (03’ 4Runner). I was able to rub it off and there is no dent or chipping on my car. Anyway what if he had dented or chipped the paint? What is my course of action?

TIA

ask him if his wife is hot. if he says yes, tell him you know of a diplomatic way that you could resolve the issue.

Czar Soonerov
2/26/2008, 04:19 PM
http://www.doordefender.com/images/car_door_ding_prevention2.jpg

YWIA

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 04:20 PM
Flip out and totally wail on them. Ninja-style.

IB4OU2
2/26/2008, 04:21 PM
Start driving scooters. ;)

C&CDean
2/26/2008, 04:23 PM
pfffft. Door dings? Both fenders on my F-350 have been caved in by bulls in the pasture. You think I worry about something as trivial as a door ding?

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 04:23 PM
i think "skulked" is a better word than "slunk"

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 04:24 PM
pfffft. Door dings? Both fenders on my F-350 have been caved in by bulls in the pasture. You think I worry about something as trivial as a door ding?

What if an errant boogy landed on it though?

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 04:25 PM
v. slunk (slhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gifngk) also slinked, slink·ing, slinks
v.intr. To move in a quiet furtive manner

I think slunk works.

C&CDean
2/26/2008, 04:26 PM
What if an errant boogy landed on it though?
Dude, it's got cow ****, mud, slobber, snots, and all manner of cattle excrement all over it. So do I when I work the cattle too. Doesn't bother me a bit. Why? Cause a) they don't know any better, and b) you can't catch the flu from a cow.

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 04:28 PM
v. slunk (slhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.gifngk) also slinked, slink·ing, slinks
v.intr. To move in a quiet furtive manner

I think slunk works.

i didn't say it didn't work. I said skulked was better.

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 04:30 PM
skulkplay_w("S0457100") (skhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ubreve.giflk)intr.v. skulked, skulk·ing, skulks 1. To lie in hiding, as out of cowardice or bad conscience; lurk.
2. To move about stealthily.
3. To evade work or obligation; shirk.

I could agree.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 04:31 PM
Thats why when I go somewhere, I take the doors off the car before I go

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 04:40 PM
Dude, it's got cow ****, mud, slobber, snots, and all manner of cattle excrement all over it. So do I when I work the cattle too. Doesn't bother me a bit. Why? Cause a) they don't know any better, and b) you can't catch the flu from a cow.

I really hope you don't wash off that cow snot in the shower.

Gwoss.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 04:47 PM
When we had the Navigator in 2003, we were at Wendys in Muskogee when this guy opened up his caddy door and dinged the crap out of the passenger side...I waited for him to go inside and then I ****ed in his gas tank..thats correct protocol

frankensooner
2/26/2008, 04:48 PM
When we had the Navigator in 2003, we were at Wendys in Muskogee when this guy opened up his caddy door and dinged the crap out of the passenger side...I waited for him to go inside and then I ****ed in his gas tank..thats correct protocol
Was the Youth group with ya? ;)

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 04:49 PM
When someone dings my car I close off one nostril with my thumb and spew all over his windshield.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 04:49 PM
Was the Youth group with ya? ;)

No thank the Lord...Just me and my wife..and her yelling at me

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 04:50 PM
what happened to turning the other cheek?

Whet
2/26/2008, 05:12 PM

probably didn't want to drop is drawers in the parking lot! :rolleyes:

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 05:13 PM

I m sure someone got a glimpse of it when I pulled my pants down..And for that I am truly sorry

EDIT: I tried Whet

TheHumanAlphabet
2/26/2008, 05:17 PM
When I was living in Norman, I had my first new car ever. One day, a girl that lived a few doors down parked next to me, as she often did. Apparently at some point she tried to load a laundry basket in her back seat, and the wind grabbed the door and slammed it into mine, creating a nice dimple/crease, and leaving some of her white paint in the center.

I didn't see the whole thing, but I did walk out to my car at some point that day and immediately notice the ding on my drivers side door. Since she had been a coward and slunk off (is "slunk" even a word?) to another space around the corner, I had no idea who caused it. No idea, that is, until a different neighbor who had seen the whole thing approached me and ratted her out.

Needless to say, I was ****ed. I went over to her car, and sure enough, there was corresponding slate paint on the edge of the door, which matched up precisely with the height of my damage. I took photos of both cars, with a tape measure for reference, and called my insurance company for guidance. Of course, they reminded me that I had a $500 deductible, and suggested I get her insurance info.

So I sees her in the parking lot later that day, or maybe the next, and I confront her as nicely as possible (I really was remarkably restrained). I told her that someone had told me what she had done, and that all I needed to get was her insurance info. She totally played dumb, and acted like she had no idea what I was talking about. She said it was her dad's insurance and that she wouldn't give me the number even if she had done it, because she didn't want his premium to go up. I think my parting words were some mumblings about how proud her dad would be.

Shortly after, I was confronted by her scrawny, mullet-wearing boyfriend in the parking lot, who threatened to whip me if I ever talked to his girl again. Said he knew which apartment was mine. I've never been a "tough guy," ever. But I was pretty hacked at this point, and suggested that he commence to whipping, but that he might want to call a friend first. He backed down, but said he'd show up at my door if I ever talked to her again. I suggested that he bring a gun, because I would have mine in hand when I answered, if I ever saw him through the peephole.

Anyway, I spoke with the Norman po-po, who said I didn't have much recourse, private property, not a traffic offense, uncooperative person, less than a certain amount of damage, blah, blah.

I ended up paying to have the dent fixed by a paintless dent repair, and I'm still a little bitter about it.

Hope that helps.
Should've done the late night door kick...

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 05:18 PM
i can't believe you guys are so mean about little dings.

geez. it's just a car.

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 05:22 PM
For the record my original post "door dings happen" reflects my true feelings on this matter.

sooneron
2/26/2008, 06:33 PM

geez. it's just a car.
Yeah really, geez, it's just the resale value dropping.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 06:54 PM
Yeah, really, it's just people being ****ing inconsiderate of other people's property.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah, really, it's just people being ****ING LAUNDRY BASKET CARRYING COWARDS WHO HIDE BEHIND THEIR DADDY AND THEIR MULLET-WEARING BOYFRIEND!!!

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 06:57 PM
Oops. Sorry.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 06:58 PM
Sorry. I'm just annoyed that someone put a ding in the passenger-side door of my car a few weeks ago.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 06:59 PM
You? I'm still ****ed off about something that happened 17 years ago.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, but my car is nicer than the one you had 17 years ago. :D

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:05 PM
Hey pal... ...Sentras were NOT shabby in '91.

OKLA21FAN
2/26/2008, 07:17 PM

geez. it's just a car.

i bet you dumped some of your old boyfriends while in their car
:eek:

shaun4411
2/26/2008, 07:27 PM
i have a truck that recently turned 17. runs like a cham. and its AMERICAN!

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:30 PM
My Sentra was built in Tennessee.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure my F-150 was assembled in Mexico.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 07:32 PM
I'm pretty sure my F-150 was assembled in Mexico.

I'm pretty sure your scooter was assembled in Gheyistan.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:35 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 07:37 PM
That's OK. I'm sure your Log Cabin sticker on the back sets off the chrome nicely.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:41 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:41 PM
actually my scooter was built in india.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:48 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_vHZJBjikCuY/RqrTeToou4I/AAAAAAAAAPQ/stJnuMDtsbA/s320/scooter+india4.jpg

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 07:49 PM
http://bp1.blogger.com/_vHZJBjikCuY/RqrTnToou6I/AAAAAAAAAPg/91zzF_IH5Gg/s1600/scooter%2Bindia2.jpg

olevetonahill
2/26/2008, 07:54 PM
No thank the Lord...Just me and my wife..and her yelling at me
Ya was drunk warnt ya ?

TUSooner
2/26/2008, 07:58 PM
Door dings happen.
Egg-frikkin-zactly

"De minimis non curat lex."
I just get over it.
Think: Would you want somebody coming after you every time your door dinged somebody else?

This legal advice is free and worth every penny!

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 08:02 PM
Um. My door doesn't ever ding someone else's car.

See, I know how to not slam my door open every time I get out.

soonernation
2/26/2008, 08:03 PM
I can't believe this went three pages without this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0XWiSaqPUU).

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 08:04 PM
However, since the vast majority of offenders will never be caught in the act, I guess the best way to handle it is to mutter an obscenity under your breath and let it go.

If you catch someone in the act, the proper response would be to ask them to pay to fix it.

Then **** on their windshield.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 08:07 PM
Dang. I forgot the **** on their windshield part.

And seriously, since I have owned a car, I'm pretty sure I have not left a single door ding. I'll plead the fifth on when I was a kid, though.

Sooner_Havok
2/26/2008, 08:20 PM
I have deflated someones tires and ripped off their California Mirrors for parking their POS Truck so close to me, and at such a bad angle, I couldn't get out of the spot.

The removing of mirrors let me get out, the deflating of tires made me feel better.

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 09:38 PM
i bet you dumped some of your old boyfriends while in their car
:eek:

qui moi?