PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks takes a break tonight...

Okla-homey
2/26/2008, 08:58 AM
Tonight, from 5:30 to 8:30, all Starbucks are going to close nationally in order to conduct training for their coffee slingers they call barristas. Apparently, the corporate suits are concerned the pierced and inked minimum wage staff simply aren't putting their heart and soul into your cup of overpriced joe. Therefore, some mandatory remedial training is in order.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:00 AM
Not a problem for me. I don't care much for their over-roasting. They could take a break forever, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I like keeping it local.

Sooner_Bob
2/26/2008, 09:08 AM
Aspen Coffee up in Stillwater pwns Starbucks.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:11 AM
So does just about anyone in OKC serving PrimaCafe roasts (local OKC roaster).

OU4LIFE
2/26/2008, 09:13 AM
I like keeping it local.

but not real.

hey people, make your own freaking coffee.

Srsly, do you know what the price of coffee in OKC is? $36.00 a gallon....which is about half of Chicago and NY prices.

VeeJay
2/26/2008, 09:16 AM
What time is the debate?

I don't think most of the barristas would allow a job training seesion to interfere with an Obama viewing.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:16 AM
but not real.

hey people, make your own freaking coffee.

Srsly, do you know what the price of coffee in OKC is? $36.00 a gallon....which is about half of Chicago and NY prices.
You haven't had an Americano and a piping hot oatmeal at my coffee shop. Plus, I no longer pay for a subscription to the paper. BONUS!!

TUSooner
2/26/2008, 09:17 AM
Not a problem for me. I don't care much for their over-roasting. They could take a break forever, as far as I'm concerned. Besides, I like keeping it local.
WORD!!
Over-priced, pretentious, incomprehensible (WTF is "venti?" "vente"? wha...?) and they are everywhere squeezing out the unique local spots with generic, fake hipness. I think we should burn them all down.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:18 AM
No dishes, nice people who know me to talk to every morning, business deals coming out of the contacts I make with other daily regulars. I wouldn't trade it.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 09:18 AM
Our local shop is a lot better than Starbucks..Mostly because I get milky way mocha with a shot of meth, crack, and no doze

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:21 AM
Plus, I DO like Americanos made from espresso better than drip coffee. I could grind and make my own espressos/Americanos in the morning, but what a PITA. Instead, I get a friend of mine to do it for me. I seriously doubt that I would make any "friends" of a 19 year old pincushion "barrista" at Starbucks.

sooneron
2/26/2008, 09:27 AM
I like my cup that I just made. Chock Full O Nuts! Good stuff.

There are more than 25 Starbucks on Broadway alone in NYC. That's about a 10 mile piece of road. and That's ridiculous. I shudder to think about how many real NY coffee stands/shops that they have put out of biz.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 09:32 AM
OK, good. Just wanted to make sure all the olds were towing the company line.

Good job.

:D

rufnek05
2/26/2008, 09:48 AM
I stopped drinking coffee and now drink Hot tea that I order from Teavana. Its good, try some before you rag on it.

MamaMia
2/26/2008, 09:51 AM
I don't like Starbucks. Their coffee tastes strong and old to me. When I'm in the city, and right before I hit the highway to come home, I usually stop at Paneras or Dunkin Donuts for a nice fresh cup of coffee. They also have honey, half and half and sprinkles if you like.

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 09:58 AM
This Folgers I'm having is just fine by me. And at $0.15 a cup they're still making money.

OU4LIFE
2/26/2008, 10:11 AM
This Folgers I'm having is just fine by me. And at $0.15 a cup they're still making money.

agreed.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 10:13 AM
BUT DO YOU PEOPLE GET A FREE NEWSPAPER AND SOMEONE TO TALK TO??!!? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

Curly Bill

Yuban PWNS Folgers. :D

OU4LIFE
you read the newspaper?

lemming.

Curly Bill
2/26/2008, 10:15 AM
BUT DO YOU PEOPLE GET A FREE NEWSPAPER AND SOMEONE TO TALK TO??!!? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!

Who wants someone to talk to...I mean when you got this place who needs actual people to talk to? :D

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 10:15 AM
Yuban PWNS Folgers. :D
Maybe so. I can't say I've tried it.

Curly Bill
2/26/2008, 10:16 AM
Maybe so. I can't say I've tried it.

Well then...do yourself a favor. ;)

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 10:18 AM
Well then...do yourself a favor. ;)
If that's what end up in the break room, that's what I'll drink. Or if the wife brings it home from the grocery store.

Curly Bill
2/26/2008, 10:20 AM
If that's what end up in the break room, that's what I'll drink. Or if the wife brings it home from the grocery store.

I originally tried it because it's mentioned in Vegas Vacation and when I saw it in the Wal Marts I figured what the heck. Turns out I like it better then Folgers or Maxwell House.

yermom
2/26/2008, 10:23 AM

no wonder you need such a large iPod... to keep you company

proud gonzo
2/26/2008, 10:36 AM
dammit. no cute starbucks guy today, i guess...

VeeJay
2/26/2008, 10:42 AM

Why would you want to talk to a Starbucks customer?

:cool:

This is no lie - my wife's sister-in-law goes to the place and orders her latte and instructs the barristas to heat her latte to 225 degrees. Did you know you can tell the fuggers how hot you want your stuff??

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 10:44 AM
Your wife's sister-in-law would get a throat-punching from me, right along with all the bastards ordering ranch sauce with their spaghetti in Italian restaurants.

sooneron
2/26/2008, 10:47 AM
Why would you want to talk to a Starbucks customer?

:cool:

This is no lie - my wife's sister-in-law goes to the place and orders her latte and instructs the barristas to heat her latte to 225 degrees. Did you know you can tell the fuggers how hot you want your stuff??
??? Does she like to have her latte a half hour later or something?

proud gonzo
2/26/2008, 10:53 AM
BUT DO YOU PEOPLE GET A FREE NEWSPAPER AND SOMEONE TO TALK TO??!!? ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!i get lots of people to talk to when i go to starbucks. those people are awesome.

Beef
2/26/2008, 10:55 AM
Does 5 hats go to Starbucks?

OU4LIFE
2/26/2008, 11:13 AM
How much do I hate this thread?

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 11:30 AM
I thought teh gays loved Starbucks? :confused:

sooneron
2/26/2008, 11:32 AM
Why in hades would I want to talk to someone that glares at me for saying "large"?

frankensooner
2/26/2008, 11:33 AM
Speaking of Coffee I just had my first cup of Java Daves. It was okay, but at those prices, she should have actually got it for me.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 11:35 AM
Why in hades would I want to talk to someone that glares at me for saying "large"?

exactly. there's one i occasionally visit near my job. i do get a special thrill out of saying medium cafe au lait and have them repeat back to me "granday meesto?".. and then when they call "granday meesto" i pretend like i don't understand.

that's how they get you. once you start using *their words* they live in yer brain and take over.

SoonerJack
2/26/2008, 11:41 AM
I just like to say (real loud) "$2.25?? For a small cup of coffee? Does that come with free refills?"

My teenage sons really appreciate it when I do that.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 11:44 AM
You shouldn't. That's why you should keep it local.

VeeJay
2/26/2008, 11:45 AM
I thought teh gays loved Starbucks? :confused:

Teh gaze and teh commie libs. When I go in there for the missus I usually have my Dunkin Donuts cup in my hand. Unshaven and reeking of the previous night's drunkfest, sometimes with stale pizza sauce still about my mouth, the barristas give an untoward look at me and debate on whether or not I am worthy of their service.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 11:45 AM
if you can find a place (or store) that has lavazza italian espresso....that should be your new place.

VeeJay
2/26/2008, 11:53 AM
if you can find a place (or store) that has lavazza italian espresso....that should be your new place.

:confused:

Did you just make up that word?

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 11:59 AM
I get a fantastic coffee (not some kind of fairy drink with steamed milk and syrup, mind you), a piping hot bowl of oatmeal with hand-cut chunks of fresh apple and craisins in it, free newspaper reading, good conversation, business contacts and insider info, and don't have to warsh dishes, all for about $3.50.

In the summer I swap out the oatmeal for low-fat yogurt, hand-cut fresh strawberries and bananas, fresh blueberries, a dash of All Bran, all in a nicely prepared parfait. Same price, and I still get all the other stuff.

I'd call that a bargain.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 11:59 AM
:confused:

Did you just make up that word?

nope:

http://www.machine-expresso.net/images/photos/lavazza_adi%20carlo.jpg

soonerboomer93
2/26/2008, 12:20 PM
i had some mexican last night, it's given me a small case of the lavazza

Position Limit
2/26/2008, 12:25 PM
.75 for a large coffee at quick trip. and quick trip's coffee ****es in starbucks fo sho.

SoonerInKCMO
2/26/2008, 12:43 PM
There is only one 'r' in barista, tardbillies.

For the record, I think everyone that goes to the coffee shop down on the first floor here and gladly pays three or four dollars for some 'double-tall skim mocha latte' or whatthe****ever it is when coffee is available free on every floor of the building is a moron. Mo. Ron.

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 12:45 PM
There is only one 'r' in barista, tardbillies.

For the record, I think everyone that goes to the coffee shop down on the first floor here and gladly pays three or four dollars for some 'double-tall skim mocha latte' or whatthe****ever it is when coffee is available free on every floor of the building is a moron. Mo. Ron.

agreed.

agreed.

OU4LIFE
2/26/2008, 12:48 PM
AND they're dumb...

GrapevineSooner
2/26/2008, 12:53 PM
I have one of these.

http://www.singleservecoffee.com/images/senseo_machine_site.jpg

So forgive me if I do not know of this Starbucks you speak of. Granted, I drive by about 5 of them on my way to work.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 12:58 PM
I think mis-spelling "barista" ups my street cred in this thread. So ima keep doin' it.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:00 PM
i use a stove top espresso maker, cost about 14 bucks. i've had it for about 6 years.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2008, 01:05 PM
omg, there are 400 starbucks in a 20 mile radius of me. me hates coffee but loves the chai tea. of course, starbucks serves their chai so strong it tastes like battery acid which is why i normally frequent roadside coffee stands for me chai fix.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:07 PM
You know the only think I do like about Starbucks? Pumpkin loaf. Well, and banana nut loaf. And cinnamon coffee crumbcake.

Notice there were ZERO coffee products on that list.

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2008, 01:08 PM
think
More street cred?

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:09 PM
You're right. It's hard for me to get MORE street cred.

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 01:10 PM
omg, there are 400 starbucks in a 20 mile radius of me. me hates coffee but loves the chai tea. of course, starbucks serves their chai so strong it tastes like battery acid which is why i normally frequent roadside coffee stands for me chai fix.

Panera's chai >>>> Starbuck's chai

Homemade chai pwns all.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:10 PM
If I were any more street, they'd have to...

...aw, who the hell am I kidding?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2008, 01:12 PM
Panera's chai >>>> Starbuck's chai

Homemade chai pwns all.

you grow your own tea? wow.

uh, panera's chai sucks truck nuts. there are roadside stands all over the seattle area with some awescum chai.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:13 PM
You friggin teasips.

Sooner_Bob
2/26/2008, 01:14 PM
Your wife's sister-in-law would get a throat-punching from me, right along with all the bastards ordering ranch sauce with their spaghetti in Italian restaurants.

But ranch goes with everything.

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 01:15 PM
you grow your own tea? wow.

Negatory, but chai I make myself from some loose-leaf tea and spices is better than anything I get in a store. ;)

Sooner_Bob
2/26/2008, 01:16 PM
I get a fantastic coffee (not some kind of fairy drink with steamed milk and syrup, mind you), a piping hot bowl of oatmeal with hand-cut chunks of fresh apple and craisins in it, free newspaper reading, good conversation, business contacts and insider info, and don't have to warsh dishes, all for about $3.50.

In the summer I swap out the oatmeal for low-fat yogurt, hand-cut fresh strawberries and bananas, fresh blueberries, a dash of All Bran, all in a nicely prepared parfait. Same price, and I still get all the other stuff.

I'd call that a teh ghey.

;)

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:18 PM
hey Jed, just to veer off topic for a minute....

where did you go to high school? in OKC?

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:19 PM
Wichitittay.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:21 PM
but you were at the INXS show at the Zoo in 86? so, were you at OU then?

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:25 PM
Actually CSU (UCO). I moved here from Kansas to live with my pops, and commuted to CSU my freshman year. I always intended on going to OU, and ended up transferring. The bad news: not a lot transferred, including the freshman English requirement that I was able to skip at CSU based on ACT score. Oh, and I had to retake the ACT, 'cause the one I took at UCO wasn't on a national test day and wouldn't transfer. :mad:

I didn't plan the whole thing out very well.

But yeah, I was living here in '86.

bri
2/26/2008, 01:32 PM
WORD!!
Over-priced, pretentious, incomprehensible (WTF is "venti?" "vente"? wha...?) and they are everywhere squeezing out the unique local spots with generic, fake hipness. I think we should burn them all down.

Project Mayhem, FTW! :D

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:40 PM
they say "vente" comes from the italian word for "twenty" (as in a 20 oz. cup)--but, my buddy Giuseppe says no one in italy says that re: coffee.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 01:41 PM
Was there any follow-up on your high school quarstion, KC? Or were you just doing research?

frankensooner
2/26/2008, 01:45 PM
but you were at the INXS show at the Zoo in 86? so, were you at OU then?

Hey, I was at that concert. Who was the opening band, the one from Boston? They was good.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:45 PM
Was there any follow-up on your high school quarstion, KC? Or were you just doing research?

nah, i was just curious. with the REM and INXS stuff and you seem pretty knowledge-y about OKC etc....and since in the early 80's there weren't THAT many people going to shows and such.

King Crimson
2/26/2008, 01:47 PM
Hey, I was at that concert. Who was the opening band, the one from Boston? They was good.

Del Fuegos.

frankensooner
2/26/2008, 01:52 PM
You know whats weird, as soon as I typed that and hit post, the Del Fuegos popped in my head. I didn't know if that was right though. Thanks.

SoonerInKCMO
2/26/2008, 01:54 PM
there are roadside stands all over the seattle area with some awescum chai.

Do you know of any in the downtown Bellevue area? I could go for some awescum chai.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 02:00 PM
nah, i was just curious. with the REM and INXS stuff and you seem pretty knowledge-y about OKC etc....and since in the early 80's there weren't THAT many people going to shows and such.
Yeah, my folks were both from here. Mom grew up on a farm in Edmond (yes, Edmond used to have farms), and Dad in Luther. My dad's mom and grandma still lived there, and I came down to visit often, my entire life. My dad moved back down here in '79, and I spent holidays and every summer here after that, until moving down myself in '86.

A ton of the shows I went to, including in the early and mid-80s, were in Oklahoma, and even in Dallas (my folks were cool enough to let me travel to shows with friends when I was a teenager -- can't imagine that now).

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 02:03 PM
I always considered myself an Okie. I was the kid wearing OU gear to school and getting ripped on by all of the frontrunner Nebraska fans (nice football state, Kansas). That MNC in '85 was a godsend for me.

I did, however, have split OU/Wichita State hoop loyalties.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/26/2008, 02:39 PM
Do you know of any in the downtown Bellevue area? I could go for some awescum chai.

get on 520 towards redmond -> drive til 520 ends and it becomes avondale - follow it for about 3 miles and you will see a stand on your right by a quickymart. enjoy...