PDA

View Full Version : 4.77 for Curtis Lofton....

kelloggOUballa
2/25/2008, 07:03 PM
...in the 40

23 reps on the bench. Kid made a huge mistake.

http://www.fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp?OrderBy=+ORDER+BY+LastNAme%2C+F irstName%2C+PosNameShort%2C+Team&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=9&GO=GO%21

SoonerStormchaser
2/25/2008, 07:04 PM
DUH!!!!!!

So did Reggie, IMO.

birddog
2/25/2008, 07:13 PM
he's in the same range as most of the other mlb's. maybe he made a mistake but if you're just basing it off his 40 time, alot of the mlb's made mistakes, even the ones that graduated.

Collier11
2/25/2008, 07:27 PM
...in the 40

23 reps on the bench. Kid made a huge mistake.

http://www.fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp?OrderBy=+ORDER+BY+LastNAme%2C+F irstName%2C+PosNameShort%2C+Team&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=9&GO=GO%21

ya those 1st and 2nd rd pay checks are horrible! Reggie maybe, but the fact of the matter is that CL isnt going to get any faster or taller so now is his time to shine

Collier11
2/25/2008, 07:31 PM
also it is being reported that he did great in all the drills, so he will be fine

47straight
2/25/2008, 09:06 PM
also it is being reported that he did great in all the drills, so he will be fine

Not yet.

Combine numbers:
40 Time: 4.77 secs
225 Bench: 23 times
Vertical Jump: N/A
20 yard shuttle: N/A
60 yard shuttle: N/A
Broad Jump: N/A
3 Cone: N/A

85sooners
2/25/2008, 09:19 PM
lofton still owned daniels twice

85sooners
2/25/2008, 09:19 PM

RedstickSooner
2/25/2008, 09:33 PM
Indeed.

Curly Bill
2/25/2008, 09:35 PM
No question about it.

Big Red Ron
2/25/2008, 09:37 PM
Not yet.If heard raves about his performance in drills already. He's really put himself at the top of the list of ILB's.

Big Red Ron
2/25/2008, 10:07 PM
On the NFL network, Ingram was singled out as one that had a huge day in the drills. They said he earned a lot of money today.

Collier11
2/25/2008, 10:50 PM
Not yet.

according to Rivals combine blog, he already had competed in all drills and blew them away

Soonermagik
2/25/2008, 11:13 PM
Wow, you are misinformed. He is now considered the number one inside linebacker. Every LB was running in the 4.7's and one actually ran a 4.9
He did awesome on the bench press and strength is a big part of it. Also, he was the #1 LB when it came to drills and team interviews.

The people looking at Lofton are the giants with the 32nd pick 1st rd and the saints with the 42nd pick.

The 1st rounders avg $10 million contracts and 2nd round averaged $4 million last year. Yeah, what a huge mistake the guy made.

effay
2/25/2008, 11:58 PM
My take on Curtis and Reggie:

There is no doubt that Curtis underwhelmed in the 40 and bench; I can't speak to the other drills since I haven't seen them posted yet. The fact that some of you are comparing his numbers to the other MLBs in this class in his defense speaks volumes to this because they all suck. Incidentally, this is what makes Curtis's decision to leave a good one for him; there isn't a first round MLB in this class other than Curtis and maybe Jerod Mayo. Dan Connor is a total poser in the middle after weighing in at 231 (although he is pretty much a poser all around). Jonathan Goff and this Gary Guyton guy had good combines, but who would take them over Curtis? I think no one. Add to that the fact that next year he would have been at best the third MLB behind Laurinaitis and Maualuga and it looks like Curtis timed his exit perfectly.

Reggie, on the other hand, is an idiot. He threw himself in with the best corner crop I have ever seen. I would say that he is around the 6th or 7th best corner in the draft and is not at all worthy of a first round pick. Also, there are probably 12-15 first day quality corners out there so, if you are a GM, why would you waste a first round pick on a corner when you know there will be quality guys on the board probably even into the second day?! Next year he would have had to deal with Malcolm Jenkins and...and who? No one! He would have been a virtual lock for the first round IMO. What a terrible, stupid mistake.

Rhino
2/26/2008, 12:03 AM
Curtis didn't necessarily make a mistake in terms of where he would get drafted this vs. next year.

Reggie is a much different story. He isn't a guy that's going to wow them in the combine and he's teetering on slipping to the third round. I really hope he proves me wrong.

JLEW1818
2/26/2008, 01:33 AM
I still think Nic Harris will be better. Reggie always made me shut my eyes on every punt return.

jtothep
2/26/2008, 04:14 AM
Anybody that thinks Curtis Lofton made the wrong decision is absurd! He had one of the greatest seasons in OU's linebacker history. I mean honestly what else could he have done to improve his stock, besides possibly win a national championship, his stock was at the highest it would get. Anyone would make the same decision that he made rather risking an injury or a down year individually.

badger
2/26/2008, 08:15 AM
still faster than Slo Mo

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/26/2008, 10:54 AM
He will do fine

SoonerDomiNation
2/26/2008, 10:52 PM
Yeah im tellin ya a 4.77 and bench pressing 225 lbs 23 times and making a couple million in the pros is a hugeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee mistake. I wish i could make a mistake like that.

goingoneight
2/26/2008, 11:09 PM
I wonder what some of these people would do if their child had an oppurtunity to make millions early and wasn't guaranteed a dime after soem unplayed senior year.

BoulderSooner79
2/27/2008, 12:51 AM
If only they had run Jamaal Charles in the lane next to Curtis. That 4.7 would have caught that 4.3 after 35 yards and even knocked the ball loose.

insuranceman_22
2/27/2008, 12:53 AM
If only they had run Jamaal Charles in the lane next to Curtis. That 4.7 would have caught that 4.3 after 35 yards and even knocked the ball loose.

Hell yeah!

47straight
2/27/2008, 01:11 AM
The difference between track speed and field speed...

OU4LIFE
2/27/2008, 09:22 AM
Wow, you are misinformed. He is now considered the number one inside linebacker. Every LB was running in the 4.7's and one actually ran a 4.9

and one ran a 4.47, so not EVERYONE was running 4.7's

He did awesome on the bench press and strength is a big part of it.

one guy also had 29 reps. so he wasn't the best there either.

Also, he was the #1 LB when it came to drills and team interviews.

how do you define #1 in drills? aren't the 40yd and 225 press drills also?

The people looking at Lofton are the giants with the 32nd pick 1st rd and the saints with the 42nd pick.

The 1st rounders avg $10 million contracts and 2nd round averaged $4 million last year. Yeah, what a huge mistake the guy made.

Not saying I agree he made a mistake, just pointing out that he wasn't the best. I think he'll be fine and be drafted nicely.

zeke
2/27/2008, 10:42 AM
Loften is projected as the 2nd best Inside Linebacker in the draft according to what I watched yesterday on the combine.

bob
3/1/2008, 08:12 PM
The time that Curtis, and D.J. and Marcus Walker ran are revealing. I contend that OU does not get as good an athelete as Texas. There is a talent difference. But players get better during their time at OU. To compare, look at the players from the two schools who are in the NFL. With the obvious exception of Adrian Peterson, Texas places more players in the league by far than OU. Thus, something we all know; they get better coaching at OU. Something most OU fans are not willing to admit; Texas gets better talent. Again, look at the slow times for out defensive backs. That was exposed in the bowl game.

SoonerShay
3/1/2008, 08:35 PM
The time that Curtis, and D.J. and Marcus Walker ran are revealing. I contend that OU does not get as good an athelete as Texas. There is a talent difference. But players get better during their time at OU. To compare, look at the players from the two schools who are in the NFL. With the obvious exception of Adrian Peterson, Texas places more players in the league by far than OU. Thus, something we all know; they get better coaching at OU. Something most OU fans are not willing to admit; Texas gets better talent. Again, look at the slow times for out defensive backs. That was exposed in the bowl game.

Please prove this with facts. We place more players in the NFL than texas and have just as good or better athletes. Hell we have pretty much the same recruiting base. You can't look at one combine and say that proves it all.

What was exposed in the bowl game was 4 defensive starters being out of the game.

The VIIIth
3/1/2008, 08:36 PM
he's in the same range as most of the other mlb's. maybe he made a mistake but if you're just basing it off his 40 time, alot of the mlb's made mistakes, even the ones that graduated.

The combine track is notoriously slow, but 4.77 was pretty representative of MLB prospects. Most of the OU guys are waiting to run on the Sooner track on OU's Pro Day. Much friendlier surface.

bob
3/1/2008, 09:45 PM
Somebody else can do the research. But Texas has muliple starters around the league, expecially in the offensive and defensive lines. Who do we have beside Tommy Harris? Dusty is hurt, Teddy L is always hurt, Torrence Marshall is no count, Rocky C. has never done much, Derek Stait, Brandon Everage, Dan Cody, Trent Smith,our QB's, and on and on. We have good players, some great players, Mark Clayton, Jamal Brown, just not what Texas has and has put in the league.
We had a really good recruiting year this year, but what about the two previous. Except for a small number of outstanding players, not looking too good.

rhombic21
3/1/2008, 10:01 PM
Jamal Brown, Mark Clayton, Tommie Harris, Roy Williams, Adrian Peterson, Davin Joseph, Clint Ingram and Brodney Pool all start or play a significant amount. Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley play a lot when they are healthy and have performed well. Wilkerson has played a lot during his career. The Stoops era has only lasted 8 years, which means that only about 4 or 5 of his recruiting classes have even matured to the point where they are entering the pros. This year OU is putting more guys into the draft that will have a good chance to become starters in Malcolm Kelly, Curtis Lofton, and Reggie Smith.

We did fall off a little bit the last two years, primarily because of the much chronicled 2003 recruiting class debacle, where a bunch of those guys either missed as prospects or ended up elsewhere/out of football. And we had a couple of guys like Lehman and Cody that were poised to be starters or play prominent roles after their careers at OU, but have just been unlucky with injuries.

Salt City Sooner
3/1/2008, 10:48 PM
If you call 3 more "by far", then you're correct. I just went over every single roster on each team's website, & the final count is Texas 31, OU 28.

FWIW, in the Stoops era ('00 draft class being the first), OU has had 33 players drafted into the league, UT has had 30.

Eielson
3/1/2008, 11:25 PM
4.77 is not that bad.

Rhino
3/2/2008, 01:29 AM
The time that Curtis, and D.J. and Marcus Walker ran are revealing. I contend that OU does not get as good an athelete as Texas. Actually, DJ (4.64) and Walker (4.59) ran MUCH better times than Texas' Marcus Griffin (4.76).

Not that 40 times reveal anything about anything.

silverwheels
3/2/2008, 02:23 AM
Frank Okam ran a 5.23 and Jermichael Finley ran a 4.82, also.

BASSooner
3/3/2008, 02:14 AM
Didn't Lofa Tatupu from USC run around a 4.9 in the NFL combine?

Look what he did his rookie year. You never know what could happen folks. Don't give up on Curtis.

Breadburner
3/3/2008, 10:33 AM
Jamal Brown, Mark Clayton, Tommie Harris, Roy Williams, Adrian Peterson, Davin Joseph, Clint Ingram and Brodney Pool all start or play a significant amount. Brandon Jones and Mark Bradley play a lot when they are healthy and have performed well. Wilkerson has played a lot during his career. The Stoops era has only lasted 8 years, which means that only about 4 or 5 of his recruiting classes have even matured to the point where they are entering the pros. This year OU is putting more guys into the draft that will have a good chance to become starters in Malcolm Kelly, Curtis Lofton, and Reggie Smith.

We did fall off a little bit the last two years, primarily because of the much chronicled 2003 recruiting class debacle, where a bunch of those guys either missed as prospects or ended up elsewhere/out of football. And we had a couple of guys like Lehman and Cody that were poised to be starters or play prominent roles after their careers at OU, but have just been unlucky with injuries.

Where is the love for Corey Ivy.....;)

SeattleRUF/NEK
3/3/2008, 12:29 PM
Lofa Tatupu was said to be undersized, too slow and not strong enough and ended up being a steal in the second round and is now a perrenial pro-bowler. Curtis Lofton, much like Tatupu, knows the game really well *** evidenced by how often the announcer calls his name on tackles. I think he's gonna do great in the NFL and hope he gets on a team where he'll start in his rookie season.

Also consider Rufus Alexander. He had a phenomenal junior season and didn't put up as good numbers his senior season.

OU4LIFE
3/3/2008, 12:54 PM
Lofa Tatupu was said to be undersized, too slow and not strong enough and ended up being a steal in the second round and is now a perrenial pro-bowler.

sounds like you just described Kelly Gregg.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 01:00 PM
Good point about Tatupu and I do personally feel like CL can succeed in the NFL but for every Tatupu and Gregg that do turn out, there are a bunch who cant..those guys are the exception not the rule

rhombic21
3/3/2008, 01:36 PM
Where is the love for Corey Ivy.....;)
Ivy didn't play under Stoops. Neither did Kelly Gregg.

The Consumate Showman
3/3/2008, 08:20 PM
IF you all don't remember, I believe that BV had a quote once that Rufus was not going to impress anyone with his 40 time, but his closing speed and ability to react to the play was amazing, which I think most of us would agree with. I mean, if we go look at the fastest 40 times at the combine, this year Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 and he's from East Carolina...how high is he going to get drafted.

I'm not saying 40 times aren't important, Deangelo Hall, AD, and plenty others have made million$ with their blazing speed...but there are others that have unimpressed in the 40 and still make a pretty decent living in the league.

I think CL is going to be a good pro player. He is a blue collar kind of guy and isn't all wrapped up in some hype/image that he has to keep up. He is one of the nicest guys you will ever have the pleasure to meet from OU and I think he made the right decision for him. I think he is the type of guy that can keep all of the pressure off of him and quietly put together a solid career in the league much like Clint Ingram is doing right now w/the Jags.

I think this whole thread was started for the simple fact that there are those out there that feel CL put O U at a disadvantage at LB this upcoming year. I for one think that OU will be fine at LB this year and people overreacted to CL leaving.

BTW, here's a nice little article talking about 40 times at the combine:
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=360461

goingoneight
3/3/2008, 10:49 PM

Considering two of the starting four didn't play, one has played a different position every year he has been here and the two replacements were an inexperienced freshmen and a guy fresh off a knee surgery in the fall, I'd say your "talent" argument is shot.

OU4LIFE
3/4/2008, 08:30 AM
Ivy didn't play under Stoops. Neither did Kelly Gregg.

did someone say they did?

Breadburner
3/4/2008, 12:28 PM
did someone say they did?

That was going to be my next point...