PDA

View Full Version : So, where's a good place to stay in Chicago??

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:23 PM
The Mrs. and I are headed to Chicago in late April for our one year anniversary and wanna stay in a semi nice place/area.

Any tips? Any must see things on a 3 day trip?

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 05:24 PM
I will be watching this thread closely. Chicago is the U.S. city that I want to visit the most, of the major cities I have left to visit.

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 05:24 PM
Did that make any sense, whatsoever?

sooneron
2/25/2008, 05:26 PM
I only stay at the Drake.

ONLY

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:29 PM
Did that make any sense, whatsoever?

Yes.

helpful? No.

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 05:32 PM
Would it help if I told you that the other city that tops my list is San Francisco, or as Dean calls it, "Mecca?"

BillyBall
2/25/2008, 05:34 PM
I only stay at the Drake.

ONLY

Its the coolest Hotel here, there are a ton of nice hotels in the Loop though.

That being said, I would stay away from the Hilton on Michigan Avenue...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-hilton-robbery-webfeb26,0,3129965.story

StoopTroup
2/25/2008, 05:40 PM
The Super Motel in Washington Park. ;)

6625 S King Dr
Chicago, IL 60637

(773) 363-7000

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2008, 05:43 PM
I 'third' the Drake.

Especially for you'n the misses' anniversary.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:43 PM
Would it help if I told you that the other city that tops my list is San Francisco, or as Dean calls it, "Mecca?"

Let me see....

Nope.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:45 PM
I 'third' the Drake.

Especially for you'n the misses' anniversary.

IT'S LIKE A MILLION DOLLARS A NIGHT!!!!!

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 05:45 PM
Sorry. Carry on.

Mjcpr
2/25/2008, 05:46 PM

She'll understand that you don't love her that much.

colleyvillesooner
Sorry. Carry on.

Does it help you that by May 1, I'll have been to both those cities? :D

BigRedJed
BASTARD!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
Late enough to catch a baseball game?

US Cellular Field, and then do other stuff

soonerbrat
2/25/2008, 05:47 PM
someplace not in chicago.
it's gonna be cold there

BillyBall

There is that...

Try the Swissotel

http://www.swissotelchicago.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

TexasLidig8r

Jeez laweez... what next? Will you be talking about shoes, and clothes and manicures and stuff? :rolleyes:

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 05:48 PM
yes

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2008, 05:49 PM
There is that...

Try the Swissotel

http://www.swissotelchicago.com/?src=ppc_google_brand

Haven't stayed at the one in Chicago, but the Swissotel in Boston is the stuff.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:50 PM
Seriously, would this Drake hotel be worth using almost every last one of my hotel points?

SoonerInKCMO
2/25/2008, 05:50 PM
On Travelocity.com the Drake starts at $175 for a Friday night. A lake view room with king bed is $225. Not cheap but a decent deal for the area.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, that's way cheaper than going through hilton, which i usually don't do any way.

edit: wow, not on the weekend we want to go. http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelDetailExtended.do?tab=rooms&propertyId=9396&resetReview=true&hotelQKey=-7946145766625900523

Thinking about booking something, then checking the travel websites the week before for deals, then canceling said reservation

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/25/2008, 05:55 PM
Oprah puts her guests up at the Omni. I stayed at a hotel near the Water Tower Place. I'm trying to remember what it is called. I'll be right back.

soonerscuba
2/25/2008, 05:56 PM

What the hell? I guess the next time you are in NYC you could go take in the history and tradition of a Mets game, and don't forget to catch a Clippers game in LA. If you are doing baseball in Chicago you have two choices. You can go to Wrigley and be in a nice area in a piece of living history, surrounded by some Trixies. Or, you can go to Acme baseball park on the Southside and be surrounded by ads and trannies. Your choice.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 05:58 PM
Anyone ever used Priceline, and just put in a really cheap price for a 4 star hotel and got it?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/25/2008, 05:59 PM
Aw now I remember--it was the Ritz Carlton. I loved that hotel. I think Oprah lives there, but I never saw her.

For good Italian, try Rosebud on Rush. IronSooner and I had pizza at Giordano's when I was there with him.

Go to Navy Pier and ride the ferris wheel.

There are also some good restaurants over there. I've mainly been in the MagMile/Downtown area. Iron and I also got lost over in LinkinPark. I wouldn't recommend doing that again.

JohnnyMack
2/25/2008, 06:00 PM
Anyone ever used Priceline, and just put in a really cheap price for a 4 star hotel and got it?

All the time.

Just got the Renaissance in BMore for $100 when their list price was $289.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:02 PM
All the time.

Just got the Renaissance in BMore for $100 when their list price was $289.

Now, would it be a better chance to get something like that closer to the date or now?

mdklatt
2/25/2008, 06:02 PM
Milwaukee

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:03 PM

Don't think I'll be able to entice the Mrs into a White Sox/Orioles game.

Hell, I won't be able to entice myself into a White Sox/Orioles game.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:04 PM
What the hell? I guess the next time you are in NYC you could go take in the history and tradition of a Mets game, and don't forget to catch a Clippers game in LA. If you are doing baseball in Chicago you have two choices. You can go to Wrigley and be in a nice area in a piece of living history, surrounded by some Trixies. Or, you can go to Acme baseball park on the Southside and be surrounded by ads and trannies. Your choice.

I would be checking out Wrigley for sure if the Cubs were in town.

Do they do tours on non game days?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 06:04 PM

A team that has actually won something in the last 100 years down there also..Cubs fans are like aggies and when I m vacationing, I dont wanna be around aggies

JohnnyMack
2/25/2008, 06:05 PM
Now, would it be a better chance to get something like that closer to the date or now?

Usually closer. I did it on 01/28 for an 02/27 check in.

Just be REALLY sure on your area. For the most part with 4 stars you'll either get a good hotel or the finger.

Mjcpr
2/25/2008, 06:06 PM

Just be REALLY sure on your area. For the most part with 4 stars you'll either get a good hotel or the finger.

And if you're just wanting the finger, let me know. I can hook you up with critical_phil for way less than 100 bones.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/25/2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, Wrigley does tours. My friends and I said in the Green Monster seats on our tour.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:09 PM

Yeah, I looked on priceline ad they have an are called "North Michigan Ave - North River Area.

Anyone: Would this be an OK area to get a Random 4 star hotel through priceline?

http://www.priceline.com/hotels/Lang/en-us/images%5Czonemaps%5C50245.gif

JohnnyMack
2/25/2008, 06:17 PM
Yeah, you should be fine. You gonna rent a car or walk?

One thing about Priceline is that they have deals with a lot of the bigger chains of hotels, so if you wait longer, you're more likely to get a room in a Hyatt/Renaissance/Westin type hotel as they're more aggressive at blowing out rooms just to make sure they don't have too many empty rooms. Basically the bigger hotels would rather have anyone in the room, even at $90 a night than let it go empty. The smaller hotels don't tend to do that.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:19 PM
Yeah, you should be fine. You gonna rent a car or walk?

One thing about Priceline is that they have deals with a lot of the bigger chains of hotels, so if you wait longer, you're more likely to get a room in a Hyatt/Renaissance/Westin type hotel as they're more aggressive at blowing out rooms just to make sure they don't have too many empty rooms. Basically the bigger hotels would rather have anyone in the room, even at $90 a night than let it go empty. The smaller hotels don't tend to do that.

Probably walk / Taxi. Parking is pretty steep there. Wonder how the mass transit is...

When's the latest you would book? (weeks out)

soonerscuba
2/25/2008, 06:20 PM

I think that they do them on weekends, I would check out the website. I would check it out and get on it early.

JohnnyMack
2/25/2008, 06:23 PM
I've done it as late as 2, but I have the luxury of knowing that it's for work and worse case scenario my boss just has to pay for it. :D But I really think that 3 to 4 weeks out you should be able to get a room.

You could always find something in your budget and make a reservation and then cancel it once you have something nicer. A backup plan of sorts.

But when it comes to hotels in places like downtown Chicago, the Hyatt/Renaissance et als are all pretty much the same. As long as you don't have to walk too far and there isn't a dead hooker in your bathtub upon check-in you'll be fine. You'll spend most of your time out of the room anyways.

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, Wrigley does tours. My friends and I said in the Green Monster seats on our tour.

:confused: They let you sit in the Green Monster seats at your Wrigley Field tour? :confused:

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:28 PM
yeah, I let that slide. :D

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:29 PM
I've done it as late as 2, but I have the luxury of knowing that it's for work and worse case scenario my boss just has to pay for it. :D But I really think that 3 to 4 weeks out you should be able to get a room.

You could always find something in your budget and make a reservation and then cancel it once you have something nicer. A backup plan of sorts.

But when it comes to hotels in places like downtown Chicago, the Hyatt/Renaissance et als are all pretty much the same. As long as you don't have to walk too far and there isn't a dead hooker in your bathtub upon check-in you'll be fine. You'll spend most of your time out of the room anyways.

So if you plug in a price that is rejected, do you just start over and go up $5-10 and try again?

shaun4411
2/25/2008, 06:31 PM
oprah lives in chicago. just see if you can stay on her couch. i hear its nice.

BigRedJed
2/25/2008, 06:32 PM
...As long as... ...there isn't a dead hooker in your bathtub upon check-in you'll be fine...
Czar pays extra for that.

TexasLidig8r
2/25/2008, 06:32 PM
it hasn't been asked yet.. so..

Why Chicago?

Why not Frisco, or NYC... or somewhere where there's a real beach instead of Lake Michigan beach and women just shedding their winter fat? :confused:

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2008, 06:34 PM

Why Chicago?

Why not Frisco, or NYC... or somewhere where there's a real beach instead of Lake Michigan beach and women just shedding their winter fat? :confused:

I was unaware Chicago women ever shed their fat! :confused: :O

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 06:36 PM

Why Chicago?

Cause I've never been, she's been there before for work and wants to go back.

She just got back from Cali seeing a girlfriend, and I'd like to have more time than 3 days in NYC.

Plus, we've got another trip already planned to Seattle for the OU game in September for 5 days.

Ike
2/25/2008, 07:34 PM

It's nicer to check out wrigley when the cubs aren't in town. For 2 reasons.

A) You get to see better baseball that way,

B) You won't have to sit next to some retard chick who spends half the damn game calling her friends on her cell phone to let them know that she is at the game and that they should look for her on TV. Unfortunately, those types are everywhere at wrigley.

Sooner_Bob
2/25/2008, 07:38 PM
Its the coolest Hotel here, there are a ton of nice hotels in the Loop though.

That being said, I would stay away from the Hilton on Michigan Avenue...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-hilton-robbery-webfeb26,0,3129965.story

I stayed there about a year ago . . . it was nice enough, but waaaay pricey.

You definitely need to visit the Navy Pier while there. Maybe the aquarium or museum . . . they're all close by.

JohnnyMack
2/25/2008, 07:49 PM
So if you plug in a price that is rejected, do you just start over and go up $5-10 and try again?

Yep.

I think $80 is about as cheap as I have ever heard of anyone getting 4 stars for.

Whet
2/25/2008, 08:25 PM
River North area is fine, there are several hotels in that area - fairly new, as well. Several night spots, as well. It is walking distance to Michigan Ave. - including Mag Mile. Also, near there is the original Billy Goat Tavern...made infamous in the SNL skit.... There are several interesting buildings to see nearby - of course the Wriggly Building, Tribune Tower - really cool bldg with rocks or items from all 50 states and famous locations from around the world. Also, behind the Wrigley Bldg is the new Trump Tower. South of the river are such gems as Jeweler's Exchange Bldg, Monadnock Building - the first modern skyscraper, La Salle Bank Bldg, Continental Bank Bldg, Civic Opera House, City Hall, Marshall Fields (now Macy's), Chicago Board of Trade, Options Exchange, Federal Reserve Bank, and several more.

The Chicago Hilton is where the Dems stayed during the '68 convention, when they had the huge demonstrations. Near there it the Chicago Fountain (remember that from Married with Children), Fields Museum, Soldier Field, Aquarium and Planitarium. And of course, Grant Park.

Near the expensive Drake (this is where Ronald and Nancy like to stay when they came to Chicago) is the Mag Mile and the Gold Coast. It is just further north than the River North area.

You can visit Navy Pier - kinda touristy - take a Lake Michigan cruise along the lake shore.

Chicago has pretty good transportation - buses, taxis, els (train). You will be able to visit all of the above areas using public transportation, or walking. Expect to do a lot of walking! There is also a free trolly you can ride from the Mag Mile to the museums by Soldier Field.

I know I have forgotten stuff. So, if you want to know more, PM me.

It is a good city to visit!

Zbird
2/25/2008, 08:40 PM
The Mrs. and I are headed to Chicago in late April for our one year anniversary and wanna stay in a semi nice place/area.

Any tips? Any must see things on a 3 day trip?

Hilton on Michigan Avenue. or for more bucks, The Drake or the Palmer House. Hilton's right across from Grant Park with a Lake view, and near the Aquarium. Pizza @ Unos, Steak anywhere, Greektown for cabbage rolls & Lamb.

Oldtown

Zbird
2/25/2008, 08:49 PM
:confused: They let you sit in the Green Monster seats at your Wrigley Field tour? :confused:

Heh. I Didn't realize Beantown was that close.

Zbird
2/25/2008, 08:51 PM

Why Chicago?

Probably cause it's not in F'in TX.:cool:

47straight
2/25/2008, 09:13 PM
I'd recommend a smaller boutique hotel called "Hotel Allegro" in the theater district. It's very cool, and a different experience than staying at a big chain. Stuff has a lounge theme. The terry cloth robes in the rooms are leopard print.

As far as stuff to do - skip the Navy Pier and go to either the Shedd Aquarium or the Field Museum if the weather is bad. They are both absolutely world class, especially the Shedd. The exhibits are very well put together.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 10:17 PM
I'd recommend a smaller boutique hotel called "Hotel Allegro" in the theater district. It's very cool, and a different experience than staying at a big chain. Stuff has a lounge theme. The terry cloth robes in the rooms are leopard print.

As far as stuff to do - skip the Navy Pier and go to either the Shedd Aquarium or the Field Museum if the weather is bad. They are both absolutely world class, especially the Shedd. The exhibits are very well put together.

Yeah, that's actually where the Mrs. stayed when she went there for work. She really liked it and it's on the short list.

Whet
2/25/2008, 10:29 PM
FYI:
[quote]Hotel Allegro in Downtown Chicago – A Star is Reborn, February 22, 2008
Hotel Allegro, a Kimpton Hotel, stands at the center of downtown Chicago, in the heart of the city's busy theatre and business districts. Currently closed for remodeling from December 2007 through Spring 2008, our vibrant Chicago hotel invites local and out-of-town guests alike to come see us when we open and let us make you a star. Our stunning renovation, four star level of service and outstanding amenities promise a unique hotel experience.

[/quote

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 10:35 PM
Well, ****.

VeeJay
2/25/2008, 10:44 PM
I've stayed in Chicago Holiday Inn City Centre, Downtown Hilton, and Marriott. All three are an easy walk to Michigan Ave. and Navy Pier.

I'd recommend any of the three. Easy transportation from O'Hare.

GottaHavePride
2/25/2008, 10:48 PM
Stay near Symphony Hall. Go see a concert. It's one of the best orchestras in the world.

bluedogok
2/25/2008, 11:09 PM
We stayed at The Drake on our honeymoon trip, I got a Travelocity/Expedia deal for about $135 a night. It has that "old style" elegance that most newer places do not have. There are a lot of nice hotels in the Mile and Loop areas.

We walked or took the El all but one day, we had a driving day when we went to the Frank Lloyd Wright House & Museum in Oak Park and a concert at The Tweeter Center in Tinley Park. We went to a Cubs game on July 4 and watched the fireworks from the observation deck of The Sears Tower. Giordano's is a favorite of mine, Redfish by Marina Towers/The House of Blues was good as well.

GottaHavePride
2/25/2008, 11:14 PM
April 16, 17, and 18: CSO plays Beethoven Symphony #7
April 24, 25, 26, and 29: CSO plays Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique"

You would not regret either one of those concerts.

Jimminy Crimson
2/25/2008, 11:35 PM
Dean wants you to go to Buddy Guy's in Chicago.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/26/2008, 07:39 AM
:confused: They let you sit in the Green Monster seats at your Wrigley Field tour? :confused:Oh I guess that was in Boston. My bad. :O

BillyBall
2/26/2008, 09:46 AM
And if you are wanting Chicago style pizza, dont go to Unos or Giordanos or Ginos East.

Go to this place:http://www.pequodspizza.com/

It is the best deep dish pizza you will ever eat.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 09:48 AM
April 16, 17, and 18: CSO plays Beethoven Symphony #7
April 24, 25, 26, and 29: CSO plays Berlioz's "Symphonie Fantastique"

You would not regret either one of those concerts.

So, slacks and a dress shirt kind of function, or is a suit required?

TexasLidig8r
2/26/2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotels/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=2005

You're welcome in advance. .and..

The Whiskey Sky bar is supposed to be a lot of fun too!

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:51 AM
I do believe that I would go to that Billy Goat Tavern place, should I get to visit Chi-town.

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 09:51 AM
It's not the Symphony but we did a Gangster Tour when we were there last summer....it was fairly interesting if you're into that sort of thing. It drove us around to different spots where gangster events happened (St Valentine's Day Massacre) and they put on a spiel. It was cool if you're needing something to do. I can find the name if you want it.

We did the boat tour on the lake, I'd recommend that. You get to see downtown Chicago from a unique perspective. You can be inside if it's too cold, they have drinks and things, you get to go through downtown on the Chicago River. It was fun.

Plus, they're cheap which I know is important to you. :D

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 09:53 AM
No doubt about the boat tour, too. I'm a big Louis Sullivan fan. I'm a big Wright fan, too. That part of the world is the architectural mecca of the U.S.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 09:57 AM
It's not the Symphony but we did a Gangster Tour when we were there last summer....it was fairly interesting if you're into that sort of thing. It drove us around to different spots where gangster events happened (St Valentine's Day Massacre) and they put on a spiel. It was cool if you're needing something to do. I can find the name if you want it.

We did the boat tour on the lake, I'd recommend that. You get to see downtown Chicago from a unique perspective. You can be inside if it's too cold, they have drinks and things, you get to go through downtown on the Chicago River. It was fun.

Plus, they're cheap which I know is important to you. :D

Yeah I'll take the name on both of those...asshat.

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 10:06 AM
Since you asked so nicely....

Gangster Tour (http://www.gangstertour.com/)

Boat Tour (http://www.wendellaboats.com/chicago.htm)

BillyBall
2/26/2008, 10:06 AM
No doubt about the boat tour, too. I'm a big Louis Sullivan fan. I'm a big Wright fan, too. That part of the world is the architectural mecca of the U.S.

Agreed. The architectural boat tour was one of the first things I did when I moved here and is still one of the coolest.

C&CDean
2/26/2008, 10:18 AM
Here's what I do when in Chicago:

Stay at the Renaissance. I believe the address is 1 Wacker Dr. Very convenient to the House of Blues, any kind of restaraunt you desire, the river, theaters, etc. Anything you wants to see/do is within walking distance or a short cab ride.

I always hit Buddy Guy's Legends (it's right behind the Hilton). I don't know if you youngsters are into the blues, but every night there's somebody playing there who's good, and sometimes if you're lucky, you can hob nob with Buddy himself. The food there is suprisingly good too. Cajun.

The Navy Pier is one of those places that make you go "meh." It's where all the tourists go, and I'm not one for following the lemmings when on a trip. The aquarium is good if you're into that kind of stuff.

I usually go get a snoot full of likker, then just wander around up and down State St., Michigan Ave., and some of the side streets and check out the architecture of the buildings (very, very cool), the people (very, very weird), and the smaller, off the beaten track bars. You can find little dives that are very cool.

Don't listen to the Wrigley haters and Sox lovers. If there's only one ballpark on this planet that you need to visit, it's Wrigley. Not so much for the baseball experience (Ike is right about the morons) but for the place itself. Get a brat and an Old Style at Murphy's Right Field before the game. Heading down south to a Sox game is taking your life in your own hands. Besides, who the hell likes the White Sox? And of course once you've been to Wrigley, there's not really any reason to go back - unless you're taking somebody there for the first time.

If you golf, try Butler National if you can get on. I used to get green fees from the hotel concierge back when I stayed at the Hilton Towers (which is now just the Hilton on Michigan Ave.).

C&CDean
2/26/2008, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention, Buddy Guy's Legends is a dive. Don't let the outside of the building fool you though.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/26/2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks, muhfuggah.

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks, muhfuggah.

Pretty sure that's the first thanks yet. Colley is an ungrateful bastard.

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 10:42 AM
So, slacks and a dress shirt kind of function, or is a suit required?

I'll put it this way: if I was in Chicago and had a suit with me anyway, I'd wear it, but I wouldn't haul a suit to Chicago just to wear for going to the Symphony.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:21 AM
I'll put it this way: if I was in Chicago and had a suit with me anyway, I'd wear it, but I wouldn't haul a suit to Chicago just to wear for going to the Symphony.

Cool, thanks.

Suck it Pat. I'll thank you after I get back and liked your suggestion. You're not getting a preemptive thanks in case it sucks. :D

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:25 AM
Here's what I do when in Chicago:

Stay at the Renaissance. I believe the address is 1 Wacker Dr. Very convenient to the House of Blues, any kind of restaraunt you desire, the river, theaters, etc. Anything you wants to see/do is within walking distance or a short cab ride.

I always hit Buddy Guy's Legends (it's right behind the Hilton). I don't know if you youngsters are into the blues, but every night there's somebody playing there who's good, and sometimes if you're lucky, you can hob nob with Buddy himself. The food there is suprisingly good too. Cajun.

The Navy Pier is one of those places that make you go "meh." It's where all the tourists go, and I'm not one for following the lemmings when on a trip. The aquarium is good if you're into that kind of stuff.

I usually go get a snoot full of likker, then just wander around up and down State St., Michigan Ave., and some of the side streets and check out the architecture of the buildings (very, very cool), the people (very, very weird), and the smaller, off the beaten track bars. You can find little dives that are very cool.

Don't listen to the Wrigley haters and Sox lovers. If there's only one ballpark on this planet that you need to visit, it's Wrigley. Not so much for the baseball experience (Ike is right about the morons) but for the place itself. Get a brat and an Old Style at Murphy's Right Field before the game. Heading down south to a Sox game is taking your life in your own hands. Besides, who the hell likes the White Sox? And of course once you've been to Wrigley, there's not really any reason to go back - unless you're taking somebody there for the first time.

If you golf, try Butler National if you can get on. I used to get green fees from the hotel concierge back when I stayed at the Hilton Towers (which is now just the Hilton on Michigan Ave.).

Thanks for the tips!

Is Murphy's Right Field inside the stadium or out? They aren't in town when we'll be there, but I never turn down a good baseball food.

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 11:28 AM
I never turn down a good baseball food.

This is true, I have never known him to turn down a good weiner.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:53 AM
:mad:

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 12:00 PM
More evidence that the truth sometimes hurts.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:14 PM
I got your truth right here, scooter boy.

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 12:16 PM
:mad:

Position Limit
2/26/2008, 12:35 PM
i lived in chicago's river north area for several years. all of the areas mentioned are a good times with plenty of things to do and see. have you ever thought about looking on craigslist and renting a nice condo instead of an overpriced hotel? for the money it's they way to go. you can find some very, very nice places in the gold coast, near north side. also, buddy guys legends is a great place. but if you want an alternative to that check out kingston mines. serious talent.

SoonerStormchaser
2/26/2008, 12:38 PM
1060 W. Addison St
http://www.earvolution.com/BluesBrothers.jpg

soonerbrat
2/26/2008, 12:46 PM
oh, by the way..those dorky looking guys with the checkerboard hats..those are cops, not security guards. YWIA

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/26/2008, 01:10 PM
Dean stays on Wacker. Heh.

Whet
2/26/2008, 02:37 PM
Agreed. The architectural boat tour was one of the first things I did when I moved here and is still one of the coolest.

Just don't look up when going over a bridge!! Or, you're liable to get a mouth full of Dave Matthews Band!!!

Whet
2/26/2008, 03:02 PM
Dean stays on Wacker. Heh.

But loves Lower Wacker!

One important item to remember:

Do not give anyone money, no matter how convincing their story! These panhandlers prey on tourists, so be prepared for those clowns....

We have lived in this area for over 20 years now and the first few, lived in the Loop, then on Lake Shore Drive. So, we've done the site-seeing stuff by ourselves and whenever we have friends/relatives visit.

Some things that were not mentioned:
1. If you can swing it, have lunch at the John Hancock building at the Signature Room on the 95th floor. It is not a fancy-smanzy place, so no need for fancy clothes. Ask for a window table.
2. From the Loop to Wrigley, take the el, it is quicker than the bus.
3. Before you arrive, go to the Chicago Visitor's site and download the CTA maps - it shows els and bus routes. Don't forget the free trolly service that meanders through the Loop, Mag Mile, and the museums.
4. Almost every building in the Loop has some special significance. On Mag Mile, you can see the water tower, that seems to make every TV shot. East of Mag Mile is the Gold Coast - really expensive places....
5. DON'T give anyone any money - had to repeat this!
6. Go to Wrigley, the Sox field has no character, and as mentioned earlier, not in a good part of town.
7. Be careful about going too far south - never past the Museum of Science and Industry, in Hyde Park; Don't try to go to the Bulls United Center - although, somewhat cleaned up, still not a place you should venture. Stay in the Loop and general area.
8. Look for Paul Harvey Drive in the Loop.... It will be a brown street sign (they have honorary street names for some folks).
9. If you are into the Batman movies, the yet to be released one was filmed, in part in Chicago - one area is the La Salle - Jackson - Monroe area (where other films have been shot, including: Home Alone 2, Backdraft, and The Untouchables)

When I remember more, I add it.....

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks, this is great info....

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 03:27 PM
You're welcome. I wanted to buy an Untouochables coffee mug at the end but I didn't and I've regretted it ever since. Don't make the same mistake.

C&CDean
2/26/2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Is Murphy's Right Field inside the stadium or out? They aren't in town when we'll be there, but I never turn down a good baseball food.
Outside of right field area. Not sure if it's open when there's no game though.

Personally, I avoid the public tranportation in Chicago. It's not as easy to get around as say the Metro is in DC. If you're with a local who knows where he's going then the el works well. Otherwise just hoof it or catch a cab. Besides, you can do more than you want to do within a 5-6 block area downtown.

Whet
2/26/2008, 05:19 PM
Personally, I avoid the public tranportation in Chicago. It's not as easy to get around as say the Metro is in DC. If you're with a local who knows where he's going then the el works well. Otherwise just hoof it or catch a cab. Besides, you can do more than you want to do within a 5-6 block area downtown.

Public transportation is ok, as long as you follow some simple rules;
1. don't touch anything - seats, rails, handles, other riders.
2. don't look at anyone, especially eye to eye.
3. don't give anyone any money!
4. on the el, make sure you are going in the right direction. On red line, DO NOT go south of the Loop.

Also, you can get a CTA pass card and use it instead of feeding the bus or el.....

If taking a taxi, follow rule #1 above and wear a seatbelt.

bluedogok
2/26/2008, 10:35 PM
I've never had any problems with the El, it isn't the Tokyo system or even the MBTA in Boston, but it gets you there. Especially if it is just a ride up to Addison Station for a Cubs game.

As far as heading south, I have done it a couple of times, to see the buildings on the IIT campus (http://www.iit.edu/), Mies van der Rohe was the Head of the Department of Architecture and did the masterplan and some buildings on the campus. The Robie House is in a similar area further south on the University of Chicago campus. We did drive down there during the day and did not take public transportation, we also went by the "New" Comisky park, so I have "seen" it and it was a generic EIFS wonder, I have been to a few games at Wrigley, to me it is second behind Fenway as favorite ballparks. The first time that I was there the trip down by the burned out public housing towers was pretty sobering for some of people in our group. They had never really seen "the hood" right there in front of them like that. It is definitely NOT a place to be anytime near dark.

GottaHavePride
2/26/2008, 10:41 PM
Public transportation is ok, as long as you follow some simple rules;
1. The El is fine.
2. Don't take the buses.

Fixed. ;)

olevetonahill
2/27/2008, 12:25 AM
Im Just gonna say As far as The Olevet goes
The Best part Of Chicago to stay ?
OUT:pop:

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions. Chicago was amazing.

We ended up at the Hyatt Regency on Whacker for $90 through priceline. Huge hotel, nice room for the price and great location to both the Loop and Magnificent Mile area.

Dean, you were right, the brat at Murphy's was awesome.

Thanks to MJ for the tip on the Wendella Boat Tour. Boat trip on the lake and river was the best part of our stay, learned so much about the history of the city and the buildings. It's a must do for any vacation there.

Wrigley Field tour was outstanding as well. Included both locker rooms, press box, both dugouts, bleachers, suites, patio, and the field. I'm now on the Cubs bandwagon as my national league team. I should be good at rooting for them, being a Rangers fan and all.

Sears Tower, John Hancock building view were great. Saw Wicked in the theater district, very good musical. Lots of great restaurants.

So in summary, if you've ever thought about going to Chicago, do it. Highly recommended. Everytime I travel to a big city like that, it reminds me how much downtown Dallas :succs:

Pics will follow in a few days.

Howzit
4/29/2008, 03:19 PM
http://www.fairmont.com/Chicago?cm_mmc=icppc-_-CHI-_-google-_-LBA&cm_mmc=icppc-_-Fairmont%20LBA-Chicago-_-google-_-the+fairmont

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2008, 03:24 PM
Little late there guy...

Howzit
4/29/2008, 03:25 PM
like I was gonna go back through that whole thread...

JohnnyMack
4/29/2008, 03:33 PM
You're welcome.

Howzit
4/29/2008, 03:38 PM
EGGzackly.

colleyvillesooner
5/2/2008, 04:09 PM
Pics from the Trip:

Chicago Theater near where we saw "Wicked"

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6527/thdscf3078ig1.jpg

Trump Tower in progress

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1620/thdscf3094qq0.jpg

Wrigley Field Tour

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2691/thdscf3105vq8.jpg

The Field

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/8776/thdscf3115ul0.jpg

Official Scorers Seat

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2025/thdscf3123il2.jpg

Murphys in Right Center

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8909/thdscf3130ys5.jpg

Zambrano's Locker

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4749/thdscf3139ux6.jpg

Behind Home Plate

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1236/thdscf3147ak5.jpg

View from where Sammy Sosa's 500+ ft homer landed

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8770/thdscf3152re2.jpg

Solider Field from Sears Tower

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9720/thdscf3160ol6.jpg

Art in Millennium Park

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/4643/thdscf3179oo3.jpg

From River Tour

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/724/thdscf3208tu6.jpg

From Lake Michigan

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/9557/thdscf3225el2.jpg

Solider Field from Lake Michigan

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9892/thdscf3229el1.jpg

Future home of the tallest Building in Western Hemisphere (2000+ ft)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Spire

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/2751/thdscf3235ng1.jpg

Chicago at Sunset from The Signature Room @ John Hancock Building

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7079/thdscf3259js7.jpg

Chicago at Night from John Hancock Building

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6824/thdscf3271hl4.jpg

C&CDean
5/2/2008, 04:19 PM
But you didn't make it to Buddy Guy's???

colleyvillesooner
5/2/2008, 04:20 PM
But you didn't make it to Buddy Guy's???

No. We were going to go, but it was a $15 cover. We plan on going back cause there was so much we missed, so that will be on the must do list for then.

Thanks again for the tip on Murphys. It was good eatin'.

Fugue
5/2/2008, 04:22 PM
No. We were going to go, but it was a $15 cover. We plan on going back cause there was so much we missed, so that will be on the must do list for then.

You Bruce it up at Wrigley but can't throw down a $15 cover? ;)

Cool pics.

colleyvillesooner
5/2/2008, 04:25 PM
You Bruce it up at Wrigley but can't throw down a $15 cover? ;)

Cool pics.

I was surprised the Tour was only $25. It's a good price for tourist, but I bet they could get way for crazy locals with all the stuff you get to see.

We prepaid all our tickets for things and had em paid for by the time we went. :D

tommieharris91
5/2/2008, 04:26 PM
Wrigley Field tour was outstanding as well. Included both locker rooms, press box, both dugouts, bleachers, suites, patio, and the field. I'm now on the Cubs bandwagon as my national league team. I should be good at rooting for them, being a Rangers fan and all.

Welcome to the bandwagon!! You jumped on at the right time! We actually win games this season!

C&CDean
5/2/2008, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the bandwagon!! You jumped on at the right time! We actually win games this season!

pfffft. As if. My Cardinals will do what they do every year. Bank on it.

C&CDean
5/2/2008, 04:32 PM

When you go again, go in for an early dinner. There's no cover until I think 9 or so. Go in, eat, get all likkered up, and have a good time. One of the guys who plays there pretty regularly is Carl Weathersby. If you get a chance, check him out.

Fugue
5/2/2008, 04:33 PM
I was surprised the Tour was only $25. It's a good price for tourist, but I bet they could get way for crazy locals with all the stuff you get to see.

We prepaid all our tickets for things and had em paid for by the time we went. :D

Good stuff, I'm jealous. I've wanted to do Chicago right for about 10 years now and haven't had the opportunity.

tommieharris91
5/2/2008, 04:34 PM
pfffft. As if. My Cardinals will do what they do every year. Bank on it.

Lose to the Cubs like they have the past 5 seasons or so?

colleyvillesooner
5/2/2008, 04:39 PM
When you go again, go in for an early dinner. There's no cover until I think 9 or so. Go in, eat, get all likkered up, and have a good time. One of the guys who plays there pretty regularly is Carl Weathersby. If you get a chance, check him out.

Man, I should have done that pre-dinner one night. I'll remember that for next time.

C&CDean
5/2/2008, 04:39 PM
Lose to the Cubs like they have the past 5 seasons or so?

Uh that's funny, cause I think I recall a team with a red bird on their jersey playing in the playoffs/world series these past few years, and don't remember seeing a team with a funky "C" on their hat playing in any post season games since.............forever?

Yeah, I know, "believe." "This is our year." Right.

Mjcpr
5/2/2008, 04:45 PM
Uh that's funny, cause I think I recall a team with a red bird on their jersey playing in the playoffs/world series these past few years, and don't remember seeing a team with a funky "C" on their hat playing in any post season games since.............forever?

Yeah, I know, "believe." "This is our year." Right.

One of 'em played last year and one of 'em didn't.

So, it was a sweep......they were there. :O

Whet
5/2/2008, 04:53 PM
Glad you enjoyed the Signature Room.

tommieharris91
5/2/2008, 04:54 PM
Meh, it's prolly not our year this year. Arizona is loaded in the NL. But, over the past few years, even when the Cubs suxed, the only team it seemed they could beat was the cardinals.

Season series over the past 5 seasons:
2007: Cubs 11-5
2006: Cubs 11-8
2005: Cubs 10-6
2004: Cardinals 11-8
2003: Cardinals 9-8