PDA

View Full Version : cotton bowl updates...

Collier11
2/25/2008, 04:45 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/2286347825_4e2d67d3db_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2286347783_735e663f2b_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2286347381_f2fcb56a73_o.jpg

Collier11
2/25/2008, 04:46 PM
Its starting to look like a nice stadium as opposed to a sandlot field, all new bleachers, bathrooms, concourses,etc...

Jacie
2/25/2008, 05:17 PM
Two questions:

How did they get those rubber-tipped arrows to stick to the concete in that first pic and second, why did they shoot them in the first place?

SeattleOUstudent
2/25/2008, 05:23 PM
Anyone care to link them on here? Work is blocking Flikr. Yay

Collier11
2/25/2008, 05:43 PM
I got them off of OUinsiders owen field forum if you can go there

Flagstaffsooner
2/26/2008, 12:42 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2089/2286347825_4e2d67d3db_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2252/2286347783_735e663f2b_o.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2407/2286347381_f2fcb56a73_o.jpg

yermom
2/26/2008, 01:46 PM
Anyone care to link them on here? Work is blocking Flikr. Yay

you could probably rehost them yourself if you put the URLs into imageshack, assuming that isn't blocked as well

BermudaSooner
2/26/2008, 03:36 PM
Those look like just the North (Texas) side. Are they adding to the South (OU) side as well?

tru2ou
2/26/2008, 04:07 PM
Those look like just the North (Texas) side. Are they adding to the South (OU) side as well?

They're adding seats to the south end zone too but they are going to have a big black curtain come up in front of them before Texas enters the field so it doesnt get too loud. Mack was really concerned the additional seats would add to the noise level coming from the south endzone so Deloss made them add the curtain. I think they're calling those "obstructed view" seats so be careful....

- Stay Tru

MamaMia
2/26/2008, 06:54 PM
Mack is such a whiner.

2/26/2008, 08:00 PM
Two questions:

How did they get those rubber-tipped arrows to stick to the concete in that first pic and second, why did they shoot them in the first place?

I'm sure Andy could answer your question, but I don't think that is concrete. I think that is either a steel frame or form for the concrete wall that will be poured later. The "arrows" are rods that connect to the crain line.

Or not.

Hell, I don't know.:O

Jacie
2/26/2008, 09:50 PM
Southern Bleacher Wins Renovation Contract for Historic Cotton Bowl

Published: Mon, 04 Dec 2006, 14:15:00 GMT Edited by Liisa Sullivan

DALLAS, Texas - Dec. 4 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) -- The Southern Bleacher Company, based in Graham, Texas, is excited to announce that they recently won the Request for Proposals from Heery International, Inc. to be a subcontractor in the undertaking of the renovation of the historic 75-year old Cotton Bowl Stadium at Fair Park in Dallas.

Heery is a full-service architecture, interior design, engineering, facilities planning and design, construction management and program management firm with over 1,000 employees located throughout the United States and overseas.

"We are very excited to be a part of this renovation project," Garrett Pettus of Southern Bleacher, said. "The Cotton Bowl is a Texas football tradition and we are proud that Southern Bleacher is involved in the improvement of this historic stadium, and its preservation for the future."

For Phase One of the project, Southern Bleacher will tear out 68,000 aluminum chair seats and replace them with aluminum plank on concrete. (This should be good news for anyone with an *** wider than 17 inches) The City of Dallas will patch and seal the concrete before Southern Bleacher installs the bench seating; Phase Two will include the installation of 28,000 seats around the end zones. Signage will be improved - inside and out - and additions of a media, conference center, and VIP section, will be made.

The overall plan is set to cost nearly $50 million. Improvements will be made not only to seating, but to concession stands, scoreboards and restrooms (Does this mean there will be actual urinals in place of a trough running along the base of the wall?); lighting, utilities, and sounds; seating will also be increased to over 96,000.(Even the freshmen will get to see OU/TX now)

Southern Bleacher Company is the nation's largest manufacturer of spectator seating. Their products can be viewed at all levels of competition from high schools, colleges, major league stadiums to NASCAR facilities across the U.S.

Since 1946, Southern Bleacher has worked closely with planning committees, architects and contractors to build facilities that are aesthetically-pleasing, spectator friendly and cost effective.

OUMonster
2/26/2008, 10:29 PM
I'd been wondering what happened to my old erector set.

goingoneight
2/26/2008, 11:18 PM
I love the game the way it is... 50/50... which makes me wonder why they split it at the 50 yard line instead of down the middle length-wise. Think about what it would feel like walking out that tunnel with both fanbases heckling you. :eek:

RADsooner
2/27/2008, 12:50 AM
as the sayng goes.......polish a turd....

Boarder
2/27/2008, 01:21 AM
The arrows are half a concrete wall form. You put the other side of the form with the arrows sticking through it and use wall locks. The arrows strengthen the wall and hold the form together while it's poured.

The benches last year were a HUGE inprovement. If they get wider concourses it will be all I need. I have yet to step foot in a Cotton Bowl bathroom in around 12 trips to the game. Once I get to my seat I never leave because the concourses are so tiny. That is the fix they really need.

bob
2/27/2008, 10:16 PM
Nobody knows the answer to this question better than Andy. Andy, where are you. Help us out here!

goingoneight
2/27/2008, 10:23 PM
as the sayng goes.......polish a turd....

At least the turd sees national championships.

RADsooner
2/28/2008, 12:56 AM
At least the turd sees national championships.

ok, that made no sense........they gonna have to do a bunch to get the cotton bowl respectful again- is what i meant.

sooneron
2/28/2008, 09:57 AM
I love the game the way it is... 50/50... which makes me wonder why they split it at the 50 yard line instead of down the middle length-wise. Think about what it would feel like walking out that tunnel with both fanbases heckling you. :eek:
It's a North/South rivalry, that's why it's split that way.

OKLA21FAN
2/28/2008, 10:04 AM
I love the game the way it is... 50/50...

according to Dean the Dream is 70/40 :pop:

OUAndy1807
3/1/2008, 11:42 AM
boarder is right. what you're seeing there is one side of a form that concrete will be poured into. those metal wires with plastic caps are wall ties that hold the two sides of the forms together when the concrete is poured into the form.

and for the record, I think the benchs suck. the only reason anyone puts benches in is because they are cheaper and you can squeeze more people in .

ouflak
3/1/2008, 01:26 PM
Hornfans has a headline on their front page that says 'Cotton Bowl moves; what about Texas-OU?'. Can't find any source on this and that link goes to webpage-can't-be-found land. Any recent rumours on this floating around?

Half a Hundred
3/1/2008, 01:50 PM
Hornfans has a headline on their front page that says 'Cotton Bowl moves; what about Texas-OU?'. Can't find any source on this and that link goes to webpage-can't-be-found land. Any recent rumours on this floating around?

That page literally has not changed for six months or more. I wouldn't be too concerned.

goingoneight
3/1/2008, 03:55 PM
according to Dean the Dream is 70/40 :pop:

Judging by the looks of the stdium right now, it's going to be 70 : 40, Texas : OU fans. :(

goingoneight
3/1/2008, 03:57 PM
The "Cotton Bowl" will be moved into Jerry World, which will be the finest football stdium in the world when finished (at least until someone else digs deep enough and tops it). I would not be at all surprised to see it someday added as a fifth BCS Bowl in the current format with the MNC game traveling between the five.

The infamous "Cotton Bowl" stdium is being renovated because the city of Dallas finally grew a brain and realized the millions they'd lose if OU/Tx went home-and-home.