PDA

View Full Version : Oku

KingDavid
2/25/2008, 01:43 AM
Any word on Oku? I don't think we're going to get him.

SoonerFah
2/25/2008, 02:17 AM
Would be nice, but I wouldn't say it's crucial. We've got some good backs with 3 and 4 years of eligibility left. Wouldn't be a bad idea to try and find a real speed back this year, if Oku doesn't work out.

jccouger
2/25/2008, 02:26 AM
OKU isn't coming here, I'm pretty sure.

The Consumate Showman
2/25/2008, 09:23 AM
Would be great to get him.

Somebody on here that lives in the Carl Albert area needs to get in his ear and tell him Bob and Co. didn't mean it and that the Sooner Nation would greatly embrace him.

Then again, we'll win with him or without him. But, I'm on the side of he'll go somewhere out of state. Oh well. We'll have another good class no matter if he commits or not...

Seamus
2/25/2008, 11:04 AM
OK, I'm out of the loop. What did Bob and Co. do that offended Oku?

The Consumate Showman
2/25/2008, 01:05 PM
OK, I'm out of the loop. What did Bob and Co. do that offended Oku?

Put all of the attention on Bryce Brown when we still thought that we were going to get Arthur last year.

Apparently Oku felt it a slap in the face so to speak and was pretty cold to OU after that.

Watch Me Stride
2/25/2008, 01:46 PM
OKU isn't coming here, I'm pretty sure.

I have a feeling he is starting to like us alot, just by the interviews and storys about him.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/25/2008, 02:48 PM
What didn't we mean it about?

adoniijahsooner
2/25/2008, 04:56 PM
If I was a runningback I wouldnt want to come here until Calhoun or Johnson are atleast Sophmores. The backfield is goingto be crowded for the next few years, so Oku would make a better decision going somewhere He can play earlier.

Desert Sapper
2/25/2008, 05:09 PM
Our staff seems to usually go after out of state kids first before they concentrate on in-state. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut top group of Oklahoma kids this year.

SOONER STEAKER
2/25/2008, 05:38 PM
Gabe Ikard of Bishop McGuinness HS in OKC, has been offered from Notre Dame and Stanford so far. He was at OU's & OSU's junior day but has yet to get offered from either school. He is being recruited as a DE prospect.

Gabe is 6'5 240lb's and runs a 4.7-40. 4.0 GPA and a 30+ on the ACT.

The Consumate Showman
2/25/2008, 05:39 PM
Our staff seems to usually go after out of state kids first before they concentrate on in-state. There doesn't seem to be a clear cut top group of Oklahoma kids this year.

I wouldn't say that at all.

OU could very well sign all of these Oklahoma kids this year including the one they already have:

Gabe Lynn, Brandon Webb, Daytawion Lowe, Michael Doctor, Shawn Jackson, Robert Thomas, Terrell Williams, Greg Brown, Pearlie Graves, Alvin Bailey, Gabe Ikard, Colton Richardson and Kenneth Garrett.

That would be 14 total. Now, having listed those, I think some may go to other schools and some may not even get offers. Gabe already has an offer and I would have to think realistically that if offered we could easily get: Webb, Doctor, Thomas, Williams, Brown, Graves, Bailey, Ikard, Richardson, and Garrett.

Lowe and Jackson might be more swayed to LosuR and I really hope they don't. They are both great athletes and would be good pickups for us.

I think as far as outside of Oklahoma this year, you've got to look at Chaisson, Vaccaro, Brent, Mahoney, Loston, Pratt, Pachall, Byrd from Kansas, and McFarland from Texas would be a nice surprise to the class.

These are the guys I think we have a pretty good, realistic shot at this year. I think this class might be our first "Okie" dominated class in a while though. It would be nice IMO.

adoniijahsooner
2/25/2008, 08:14 PM

OU could very well sign all of these Oklahoma kids this year including the one they already have:

Gabe Lynn, Brandon Webb, Daytawion Lowe, Michael Doctor, Shawn Jackson, Robert Thomas, Terrell Williams, Greg Brown, Pearlie Graves, Alvin Bailey, Gabe Ikard, Colton Richardson and Kenneth Garrett.

That would be 14 total. Now, having listed those, I think some may go to other schools and some may not even get offers. Gabe already has an offer and I would have to think realistically that if offered we could easily get: Webb, Doctor, Thomas, Williams, Brown, Graves, Bailey, Ikard, Richardson, and Garrett.

Lowe and Jackson might be more swayed to LosuR and I really hope they don't. They are both great athletes and would be good pickups for us.

I think as far as outside of Oklahoma this year, you've got to look at Chaisson, Vaccaro, Brent, Mahoney, Loston, Pratt, Pachall, Byrd from Kansas, and McFarland from Texas would be a nice surprise to the class.

These are the guys I think we have a pretty good, realistic shot at this year. I think this class might be our first "Okie" dominated class in a while though. It would be nice IMO.

I am more excited by classes where talent comes from all over the nation, than by filling our roster with oklahoma kids. If we were in texas, florida, or cali i would feel different about it. Variety and diversity make for good teams IMO.

Big Red Ron
2/25/2008, 10:13 PM
Stoops in Co. recruit the best at their positions, regardless of where they are from. I doubt Oku could come here and compete with the talnet on our current roster. Good luck to him.

The Consumate Showman
2/25/2008, 11:29 PM
I am more excited by classes where talent comes from all over the nation, than by filling our roster with oklahoma kids. If we were in texas, florida, or cali i would feel different about it. Variety and diversity make for good teams IMO.

But why try to go "all over the nation" to recruit kids that are just as good as the ones you have in your own backyard?

Seems to me that the state has a pretty solid class this year...I believe we have something to the effect of 3 or 4 rivals 100 players from the state and that list is always too early...Scout and the other services should have us w/the same numbers right now as well and I think by the time senior seasons are over, the state could have as many as 5-6 top 100 players by each service.

Oklahoma is going to have a good pool of players for '09 among other "national" recruits. But don't get me wrong, we obviously have always got to go outside of our borders to get the type of players we want to win and compete for MNC, but look at the size of our state and the population before comparing us with schools like SC, UF, Cali, and so on.

I think we have a great opportunity to get some kids this year with the kind of heart, fire and leadership that we've been missing as a team since the dparture of a guy like...well...Clint Ingram is the last real good example of a guy that was talented, vocal and tried his damndest to lead...

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2008, 12:05 AM
Stoops in Co. recruit the best at their positions, regardless of where they are from. I doubt Oku could come here and compete with the talnet on our current roster. Good luck to him.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Oku is a national-level recruit.

The Consumate Showman
2/26/2008, 12:25 AM
However fellas, RB is not a NEED this year. I think with Jermie, JJ, D-Mac, Chris, and Mossis...we're pretty solid. I would bet Oku might not even get an offer after his little burning bridges incident over the course of the '08 season and some of the reamarks he made. Move on. We need to focus on getting a top flight DT and I would expect us to make a H A R D push for McFarland right now and try to roll out the red carpet for him and try to get him across the river. Look for a SOLID defensive class this year.

KingDavid
2/26/2008, 01:01 AM
I strongly disagree with this statement. Oku is a national-level recruit.

Have to agree with Rich, here. Although it's also true that we don't need him. Unless he lets us recruit him as a cornerback!!!!!:D

Big Red Ron
2/26/2008, 06:00 PM
I strongly disagree with this statement. Oku is a national-level recruit.He's no Demarco, heck he's probably no Chris Brown. He's probably better than the kid from Nomton but RB isn't a prime target for us this year.

Desert Sapper
2/27/2008, 06:14 AM

Don't get me wrong. We have some good players in the state. But just like your list indicates, we have a ton of kids that could be the best kids in the state. It's not like years past where the top 3-5 kids in Oklahoma are obvious.

As for my initial comment about our staff starting late with the Oklahoma kids, I'd have to say that usually our staff offers kids they see in camp, hits out of state hard, then comes back to Oklahoma late to pick up some kids they don't feel they have to press all season. Kids they feel comfortable about not pressing. This works about 90% of the time.

SOONER STEAKER
2/28/2008, 11:51 AM
If there is a stud in state, no matter the position we'll go after him. If Oku wanted to come to be a Sooner, we'd take him. But, were not gonna do the full court press to get him.

Oku plays with Cale Gundy's nephew at Carl Albert, maybe OU has seen some things first hand that doesn't excite our coaches about Oku.

boomersooner28
2/29/2008, 06:54 PM
Oku got his official offer from OU today.

Desert Sapper
3/1/2008, 12:14 PM
Oku got his official offer from OU today.

Boy, we didn't waste any time with that, did we?

I wonder how many other teams have already offered him?

The Consumate Showman
3/1/2008, 01:23 PM
Boy, we didn't waste any time with that, did we?

I wonder how many other teams have already offered him?

A lot. But a good friend of mine that is a CA alum told me that he thinks momma wants him to play close to home AND for a winning team. Rules out LosuR. We COULD be good with him.

I just hope he realizes that OU is a good school and that if it had not been for Bryce and Arthur stringing OU along with that piece of crap Brian Butler, David would already have had an offer. I think he also needs to realize that he will most likely be OU's LONE rb recruit this year.

I really hope he makes it down Norman way. He is a special player and could be a DJ Wolfe type of kid here. He is very athletic and could go on D easily...if he can be convinced.

Either way, with how Tejas recruiting is going in the tank this year so far, I'd say Bob needs to be knocking on this kid's door with Cale and get him here.

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2008, 04:17 PM
I think OU will offer Wingo as well, but I think Oku is the better back.

Desert Sapper
3/1/2008, 05:38 PM
I think Dexter Pratt's a slim possibility, too. My guess is he goes to Poke State, though.

I'm not complaining. We got two of the best backs in the country in the 2008 class.

The Consumate Showman
3/3/2008, 02:10 PM
I think Dexter Pratt's a slim possibility, too. My guess is he goes to Poke State, though.

I'm not complaining. We got two of the best backs in the country in the 2008 class.

I would bet more of an OU/UT battle for Pratt.

Now, if we can get Brandal to commit soon, then I think we can possibly look for Pratt to cut off the recruiting and follow.

slowride
3/6/2008, 12:04 PM
How many RB's can we afford to take in '09? Surely, no more than two.

Frozen Sooner
3/6/2008, 01:38 PM
Well, we've got one already. And it's not Wingo OR Oku. Weird.

Curly Bill
3/6/2008, 02:58 PM
...but running backs are usually your better athletes...meaning of course some of them might end up playing other positions.

CK Sooner
3/10/2008, 10:13 PM
I haven't heard any new's on Oku lately, anyone know anything?

Curly Bill
3/11/2008, 09:20 AM
I haven't heard any new's on Oku lately, anyone know anything?

I hear he's ready for Spring Break to get here....and I'm not sure how well he's doing in math. :)

CK Sooner
3/11/2008, 03:31 PM
I hear he's ready for Spring Break to get here....and I'm not sure how well he's doing in math. :)

:D