PDA

View Full Version : Met the King yesterday

soonerhubs
2/24/2008, 04:12 PM
I only saw him for a few minutes at a local restaurant while a few of us were eating lunch. I didn't go and shake his hand or anything b/c I figure he gets too much of that as it is, but he happened to see my niece's coat fall on the floor and he went and picked it up for her.

Not cocky at all. Just a humble friendly man who left an impression on a fan. A great man, great leader. The world needs more Barry Switzers. That's all.

OKC-SLC
2/24/2008, 04:52 PM
word.

freshchris05
2/24/2008, 06:22 PM
i would have kissed his ring...

DarrellZero
2/24/2008, 06:24 PM
Barry is full of the milk of human kindness these days.

Zbird
2/24/2008, 07:22 PM
According to my information Switzer has never missed being at the State Special Olympics meet. Not sure if he was being altruistic or searching for another Marcus Dupree. I think he's a class act!

Sabanball
2/24/2008, 08:26 PM
I didnt get to personally meet him, but few of you probably know that Switzer came to Alabama last spring, at the request of our AD Mal Moore, for a golf tournament that was raising money for our athletic department at UA. It was held at the Northriver Yacht Club in Tuscaloosa. There was a live remote there with one of our local sports talk radio stations and he was gracious enough to sit down and give an interview with our own Kenny Stabler. He basically spent fifteen minutes(in between a few expletives...lol) poor-mouthing the Big 12, but he was still fun to listen to and can certainly tell some stemwinders...

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 09:11 PM
Barry always plays to his audience. I've herd him say the Big XII the best, the SEC was the best, the PAC 10 too. I wouldn't put too much stock in anything you hear him say, unless it's about OU or Dallas or his family. Everything else is paid for by something. ;)

soonerhubs
2/24/2008, 09:59 PM
I'm still star struck. He could have told me I was the biggest moron on the planet, and I would have just smiled and stood there speechless. I met the King, you guys, THE KING!

Barring some of the Church Leadership I've shaken hands with, I don't think I've ever met someone I admired as much., you

goingoneight
2/24/2008, 10:48 PM
He said after the Texas Tech game that he questioned OUr senior leadership and that we weren't among the nation's elite in 2007. A couple of strong victories later and we were "the best I've seen."

NTM, he also said OSU would have the finest facilities in the country and also said both Blake and Schnellenboozer were great hires. As mentioned above, most of what you hear him say these days is paid for unless someone really sits down and asks his opinion on something about his past or OU football in general. Most commentators are that way. I mean, Ohio State was very mediocre all year long and it was painfully evident that the BIG 10 sucked and their schedule cake-walked them to 11-1 and here ESPN is calling them #1 and saying they're the best, blah-blah.
Honestly, I think the most accurate guy we hear from nowadays regarding college football is one of OUr own in Spencer Tillman. The guy's never going to say someone sucks or no way in hell for this or that, always fair and balanced and brings up points a lot of idiots in this world don't seem to get. He called the whole "David vs Goliath" story against Boise State and also said it was "kind of a lose-lose situation for a Sooner football team already missing the bulk of it's playmakers in post-season" leading up to WVU beating us. That takes cojones and brute honesty to say that about your home team, especially as good as we were in 2007.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/25/2008, 12:17 PM
I've been fortunate enough to meet him a few times. Not that he remembered me from each one, but all the times he was nice and willing/wanting to chat about football, business, the weather, whatever. Always seemed genuine.

Flagstaffsooner
2/25/2008, 01:34 PM
I'm still star struck. He could have told me I was the biggest moron on the planet, and I would have just smiled and stood there speechless. I met the King, you guys, THE KING!

Barring some of the Church Leadership I've shaken hands with, I don't think I've ever met someone I admired as much., youAnd the King has had lots of wives. Not necessarily his own.;)

sooner94
2/27/2008, 03:43 PM
I met him once at Othello's back when he was coaching the Cowboys. Great guy, treated me like a king.

The thing that really impressed me was how much he loves Oklahoma football and how much he seems to appreciate OU fans. The guy loves life.

I met Billy Sims that night too. Billy walked into the bathroom to the urinal next to me and said "DAMN, that water's cold."

mxATVracer10
2/27/2008, 04:43 PM
According to my information Switzer has never missed being at the State Special Olympics meet. Not sure if he was being altruistic or searching for another Marcus Dupree. I think he's a class act!

He's the celeb "face" of the Special Olympics in Oklahoma and is very active in the program. Soon-to-be Mrs. mxATVracer works for the Tulsa chapter and gets to meet/visit with him every year during the Summer Games. :D

2/27/2008, 06:06 PM
What event is she...

Dang. I can't do it. God bless your wife for helping out with a great cause.

Jacie
2/27/2008, 06:31 PM
And the King has had lots of wives. Not necessarily his own.;)

He used to date this girl I knew. He must have had about 20 years or more on her. I didn't get to meet him . . .

KansasSooner
2/27/2008, 07:03 PM
I met the King in a club one night while he was in town recruiting Lydell Carr. I assumed he was with his wife but now that i think about it..who knows lol

goingoneight
2/27/2008, 10:20 PM
Oh, yeah... guess I didn't post my Switzer story. He reminds me a lot of my grandpa... and he'd probably ring my neck if he heard me say that. :D After the 2005 RRS I saw him leaving the Fair Grounds shaking hands and congratulating some Tejas fans... some whorn yelled something at him and he said "it's about damn time you won one of these!" :D

Not finished... I shook his hand and said "don't worry Coach, we'll get 'em again."

"F***in' Longhorns..." he said with a smirk.

Also, he butchered 'Dvoracek' during the spring football game in 2006 and I heard him pull the mic away and say 'how the hell you say that ****, son?" :D

He's a nice guy in person and loves to get a laugh out of you. If you can't enjoy being around that guy, you're just not a likeable or unbiased person, I guess.

BudSooner
2/27/2008, 10:21 PM
He's the celeb "face" of the Special Olympics in Oklahoma and is very active in the program. Soon-to-be Mrs. mxATVracer works for the Tulsa chapter and gets to meet/visit with him every year during the Summer Games. :D

My son has been twice and will be going this year, he enjoyed every minute of the event, especially when he realized who Barry was.
He gets a huge smile on his face whenever he sees the King on the tube, not every kid can get to say he's met royalty. :D

ALL HAIL THE KING!

2/27/2008, 10:41 PM
Why is it so many "I met the King" stories involve the urinals at Othelo's? I think I've only seen Barry three times while not on the sideline... none at a urinal and none at Othelo's. Does he maybe have a health problem we don't know about?

MyT Oklahoma
3/2/2008, 01:47 PM
I met Coach Swizter before and after the 1980 OU/Stanford game. He was a very pleasant person and took the post game presss conference like a man. After all it's not every day that John Elway comes to town and hangs a 31 to 14 loss on you.

Being in the Sooner locker room after the game really brought home how much our players hurt after a loss. Some were crying and most of the others had nothing much to say.

StoopTroup
3/2/2008, 04:05 PM
Always send your kids over for the autograph. ;)

KentuckySooner
3/25/2008, 10:06 AM
I have been reading this forum for a while and was wondering... who the hell is this Barry Switzer everyone is talking about? :)

joeTsooner
3/25/2008, 10:23 AM
Just as I was reading this thread, EDSBS put up a post hatin on the King.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/03/25/the-sordid-wonderful-past-the-fall-of-switzerville/

It is too bad that is what his legacy is outside of Soonerville. People seem to forget that he is one of the best coaches in NCAA history. Period.

soonerhubs
3/25/2008, 12:35 PM
Just as I was reading this thread, EDSBS put up a post hatin on the King.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2008/03/25/the-sordid-wonderful-past-the-fall-of-switzerville/

It is too bad that is what his legacy is outside of Soonerville. People seem to forget that he is one of the best coaches in NCAA history. Period.

Sour grapes. He's still the king in my book.

Dan Thompson
3/25/2008, 08:27 PM
People only remember this other peoples problems, not what good they did.

Soonerus
3/25/2008, 08:30 PM
He's 70 now, a great guy......

Clock Studies
3/29/2008, 07:50 AM

Yep. :texan:

stoopified
3/31/2008, 10:04 PM
I hang out in urinals all the time and I've never met Barry. :D

Soonerus
3/31/2008, 10:07 PM

He has only had two and his first just died recently...

soonerhubs
3/31/2008, 10:14 PM
He has only had two and his first just died recently...

Don't you know a Mormon joke when you read it? :D

Soonerus
3/31/2008, 10:19 PM
Don't you know a Mormon joke when you read it? :D

No...:cool:

goingoneight
3/31/2008, 10:25 PM
Keep in mind that if Switzer was anyone else's coach, they'd love him. He was Oklahoma's HC, so people hate on him unless they're Sooner faithful or Sooner allies.

swardboy
4/1/2008, 08:38 AM
"Sooner allies".....that's rarer than the speckled booby hatch warbler.

SoonerTerry
4/1/2008, 09:19 AM
MAh kidney.. he can hazet