PDA

View Full Version : Worstdam sports blooper #43

oupride
2/24/2008, 11:38 AM
I watched the Bestdam Sports Bloopers and #43 was the Schooner jack-nifing and falling on its side. While I did not find this funny or amusing, I realized the riders could have been seriously hurt. I wondered when this happened, what was the real cause and what precautions have been taken to prevent future occurances. Does anybody know?

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2008, 12:12 PM
No one was hurt, so it was funny.

Newbomb Turk
2/24/2008, 12:20 PM
I don't remember the exact year, but wasn't it early 90's? Same game Gundy got hurt vs. the Buffs I think.

OUMonster
2/24/2008, 06:15 PM
1993 vs. Colorado

47straight
2/24/2008, 07:52 PM
Was there, south end zone. Weird, weird day.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 07:59 PM
Was there too. That was the game that everyone found out Howard was a hot air balloon.

CU pounded us in the second half and I remember there was a Beauty queen or something in the back that did get hurt.

There wasn't anything funny about it. They tipped on our ripped, crappy turf. Thanks again Bob Stoops!

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 08:38 PM
Oh and to answer the last part more specifically. It was the artificial turf that was like patio grass on concrete. We went to a level field (ditched the crowned field) and put in natural grass.

Frozen Sooner
2/24/2008, 08:49 PM
Was there too. That was the game that everyone found out Howard was a hot air balloon.

CU pounded us in the second half and I remember there was a Beauty queen or something in the back that did get hurt.

There wasn't anything funny about it. They tipped on our ripped, crappy turf. Thanks again Bob Stoops!

Since Gibbs was the one coaching that game, Duncan was a real a-hole for hiring Cap'n Crunch after we found out he was a hot-air balloon.

;)

1993 was the last year for the turf. After the 9-3 season with a beatdown of Tech in the John Hancock Bowl, OU Football centered on the marketing campaign of "The Grass is Getting Greener." Gibbs promptly flamed out with a 6-5 1994 campaign after which he was fired, leading him to a pathetic lame-duck effort vs. BYU in the Copper Bowl-almost getting shut out.

I think you're confusing that game with the 1995 game, which was the one where we were up 17-7, CU scored to end the first half to cut it to 17-14, then just beat the hell out of us in the second half. Eric Moore QB'd that game.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, that day went so bad, I did blur the two together. Heck the Schooner might as wall have fallen over at halftime.

Pricetag
2/24/2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, that day went so bad, I did blur the two together. Heck the Schooner might as wall have fallen over at halftime.
They were both bad days, but 1993 was worse for me because I believed we were for real that year. The Schooner falling over that day couldn't have been more symbolic.

I knew it was all smoke and mirrors in 1995.

OUstud
2/24/2008, 10:14 PM
Any videos of this incident circulating around?

sooneron
2/24/2008, 10:17 PM
I traveled 1600 miles to be at that game. ugh.

Later that night?

Different story.

cheezyq
2/24/2008, 10:41 PM
I don't know what the heck you guys are talking about. After Barry left, OU's football program was cancelled until they hired Bob in 1999. Right?

;)

goingoneight
2/24/2008, 10:50 PM
I like to think of it as practice and rebuilding. :D

bstuff1979
2/24/2008, 11:13 PM
I was at the game and I remember that the game was a horrific. I could have sworn that the homecoming queen, riding on the Schooner as is the custom, came away with a broken arm. Could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Sooner-by-Marriage
2/25/2008, 12:13 AM
I was at the game and I remember that the game was a horrific. I could have sworn that the homecoming queen, riding on the Schooner as is the custom, came away with a broken arm. Could be wrong, but that's what I remember.
I was at that game as well... it was the first Sooner game I ever went to.

And yes, the girl did break her arm.

85sooners
2/25/2008, 12:53 AM
:(

2/25/2008, 03:33 PM
Count me in as an attendee. It seemed like the day was in slow motion. Everyone I mention it to has the same recollection of it being a "strange" day.

Gundy got the concussion. The Schooner spill. It was just bad.

I'm almost positive I threw up a bunch of Crown that night. Back in the day, though, that wasn't really anything strange.

bstuff1979
2/25/2008, 03:44 PM
I know it's a solid argument to say that the game at Syracuse (a strange game in its own right, though still a win -was at that one too. The Carrier Dome is neither all that loud nor, despite the sponsorship, air-conditioned) marked the downfall that rode through to 1999, starting with the touchdown turned safety. This game, if anything, deserves mention as well as "the beginning of the end of the OU in the '90s". If anyone ever wants to know why I'm so staunch on supporting the current staff, in particular Venables, it's for fear of starting another karma shnikey-storm. The current staff works rather well, exceptional compared to anything post-1987 (with some argument to be had for one or two of the Gibbs staffs that went 9-3 despite the probation after-taste). I haven't seen it mentioned as I'm just skimming over this at work, but wasn't this game right around Halloween? It would seem appropriate.

mfosterftw
2/25/2008, 04:31 PM
http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/Oklahoma.htm is your friend...

The game at Syracuse was in 1994, 9/3 to be exact. Syracuse went 7-4 with no bowl game... The return game in Norman was 9/6/97, after the Sooners laid that 24-0 egg against Northwestern in the Pigskin Classic at Chicago. We won that one too, as Donovan McNabb was puking all over the place (apparently due to the heat). Syracuse went 9-4 including a Fiesta Bowl loss to Kansas State.

bstuff1979
2/25/2008, 06:19 PM

The game at Syracuse was in 1994, 9/3 to be exact. Syracuse went 7-4 with no bowl game... The return game in Norman was 9/6/97, after the Sooners laid that 24-0 egg against Northwestern in the Pigskin Classic at Chicago. We won that one too, as Donovan McNabb was puking all over the place (apparently due to the heat). Syracuse went 9-4 including a Fiesta Bowl loss to Kansas State.

I remember the 'Cuse game being early on in the season (got in a bit of hot water, Bishop McG didn't like me taking off to New York for a week for a football game). I was thinking the Colorado debacle was around Halloween, I know it was a few times in the late 80's - early 90's. As much fun as it was in the Carrier Dome (with the perfect stereotype of the ny-nj obnoxious pre-teen with a mouth behind me kicking my seat-back), the home game against McNabb was more so. When the kick was blocked to win the game, I think I was one of maybe four or five thousand (that's not much when the place holds around 72K) that stuck around for it. To keep it on point, I nominate the touchdown-safety as the #2 sports debacle in OU football's recent history (I refuse to endure the sickness that would be bringing up anything BCS).

Frozen Sooner
2/25/2008, 06:40 PM
I know it's a solid argument to say that the game at Syracuse (a strange game in its own right, though still a win -was at that one too. The Carrier Dome is neither all that loud nor, despite the sponsorship, air-conditioned) marked the downfall that rode through to 1999, starting with the touchdown turned safety. This game, if anything, deserves mention as well as "the beginning of the end of the OU in the '90s". If anyone ever wants to know why I'm so staunch on supporting the current staff, in particular Venables, it's for fear of starting another karma shnikey-storm. The current staff works rather well, exceptional compared to anything post-1987 (with some argument to be had for one or two of the Gibbs staffs that went 9-3 despite the probation after-taste). I haven't seen it mentioned as I'm just skimming over this at work, but wasn't this game right around Halloween? It would seem appropriate.

We opened at Syracuse in 1994. September 3, to be exact.

It was a touchdown-turned-touchback. Not a safety.

soonerboomer93
2/25/2008, 06:46 PM
The boomer and sooner who were pulling that wagon that day were retired at the end of last season (1993 was their first one)

OUrules
2/26/2008, 06:57 AM
I've looking for a video of that for years. Anyone ever seen it on a website anywhere? I think it's not out there for a reason....sooooo embarrassing..

sooneron
2/26/2008, 10:03 AM
The CU game was mid - October. Sad game, beautiful day that day. It must have been 68 degrees.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/26/2008, 10:10 AM
Back when I was a freshman in the Pride, we had members that were in Pride during that game and they referred to it as Black Saturday. Basically, it was the beginning of the futility of the 90s in many of their eyes. Really was a bad day for everyone.

OUrules
2/26/2008, 01:49 PM
Nobody's ever seen a link to that video anywhere? I've searched in vain to no avail...

Animal Mother
2/26/2008, 02:10 PM
If there were a NCAA Films like NFL Films the one of the 93 OU/CU game would be narrated by a Rod Serling sound alike. The rest of that day, there was just a pall around everything that took place. We would be watching/doing whatever and someone would blurt “That game sucked!! What the h*ll happened?!?!?!” It really reminded me of the OU/saxet game in 84. Watching Keith intercept the ball, celebrating, then focusing on the TV as we saw the zebra say he was out when he was in and seeing it 100 times on ESPN and CNN. I also remember the game with McNabb puking and I made my neighbor GM Steve almost puke his Coors Light by yelling “Clean up, aisle nine. September in Oklahoma and the smell of the visiting team’s vomit is in the air.”

fadada1
2/28/2008, 11:07 AM
I was at that game as well... it was the first Sooner game I ever went to.

And yes, the girl did break her arm.
the driver broke his arm.

MamaMia
2/28/2008, 02:43 PM
Theres a big difference between a "blooper" and a dangerous accident. What in the H E double hockey sticks is the matter with people nowadays? :rolleyes:

stoopified
2/29/2008, 10:12 AM
I was at the game too.Once Gundy went down I knew we were screwed.With the beatdown AND Gundy's injury,as well as the Schooner crash I thought I had just witnessed the darkest day for OU football.Little did I know it was about to get much,much worse.

Pricetag
2/29/2008, 01:27 PM

If you think that's cool, you should check out Soonerstats.com (http://www.soonerstats.com).

OUstud
2/29/2008, 03:57 PM
I remember the 'Cuse game being early on in the season (got in a bit of hot water, Bishop McG didn't like me taking off to New York for a week for a football game). I was thinking the Colorado debacle was around Halloween, I know it was a few times in the late 80's - early 90's. As much fun as it was in the Carrier Dome (with the perfect stereotype of the ny-nj obnoxious pre-teen with a mouth behind me kicking my seat-back), the home game against McNabb was more so. When the kick was blocked to win the game, I think I was one of maybe four or five thousand (that's not much when the place holds around 72K) that stuck around for it. To keep it on point, I nominate the touchdown-safety as the #2 sports debacle in OU football's recent history (I refuse to endure the sickness that would be bringing up anything BCS).

There were way more than 4-5k that stuck around for the OU-Syracuse game in 1997. You must be thinking of the end of the A&M game that year, although that game was in the low 30s and the SU game was in the high 90s...

bstuff1979
2/29/2008, 09:35 PM
There were way more than 4-5k that stuck around for the OU-Syracuse game in 1997. You must be thinking of the end of the A&M game that year, although that game was in the low 30s and the SU game was in the high 90s...

4-5k was a guess, but the stadium was nowhere close to full by the later half of the 4th quarter. When Syracuse was on their final drive late in the game, I think most everyone thought the game was going to be ending in a loss and in short order. I vividly remember my section, Sec. 4, being less than sparse by the time 'Cuse set up to kick what would have been the go-ahead field goal. I think it was around a 32 yard kick or less, so it made plenty of sense to assume a loss was fairly certain. The A&M game was a horror, but I think that game was in '99 as I remember watching it via the dorm tv in Ohio (after 4 years in that state, which isn't all that bad, the lightbuld switched on over my head and I went to OU for grad. school). That's a game I'm happy to say that I was not in attendance for.

SbOrOiNaEnR
3/1/2008, 04:14 AM
Isn't this also the incident where everyone learned this particular RUF/NEK queen went commando? I mean, I know there's nothing like an unfurnished basement for maximum comfort...but still, you're wearing an evening gown...

93sooner
3/1/2008, 07:14 PM
Was it Onte Jones that blocked a FG or PAT to win that one? Loved that game from section 103 :)

93sooner
www.firebobbyjack.com

Snrborn
3/2/2008, 09:17 AM
Was it Onte Jones www.firebobbyjack.com

Nope - Travian Smith