PDA

View Full Version : Best College Basketball In America...

Sabanball
2/23/2008, 11:06 AM
is now being played in the state of Tennessee. Who would have ever thunk it? I know Memphis has always had a decent program over the years, but I dont remember the vols having a program this competitive since Bernard King played on the hardwood for them back in the late 70's. And Vandy is no slouch....
Just curious, what's the general opinion over here on Bruce Pearle and John Calipari?? Seems to me both of them are ripe to be taken by other big -time basketball schools, and they will be coming calling real soon. Calipari is a bit of vagabond, and having stayed at Memphis now as long as he has, I especially think he'll be going somewhere else soon. In any event, after these two guys leave I predict both programs will fall off the map again and things will go back to normal....I think they've had that big of an impact at their respective schools...

ouradu
2/23/2008, 11:57 AM
Was there a feature on us on gameday this morning? I didnt' get to watch but read on soonersports.com that they were supposed to feature us. If it was on there, was it worth watching, other than the fact that it was about us, I mean? will they reshow it during the day or should I beg someone to put it on youtube?

Eielson
2/23/2008, 01:46 PM
Pearl and Calipari are studs and I don't really see them leaving anytime soon. Just so you know, Tennessee was the #2 seed two years ago I believe.

King Crimson
2/23/2008, 02:42 PM
don't forget Vandy, they've been in and out of the rankings and probably a tournament team.

Sabanball
2/23/2008, 09:20 PM
Pearl and Calipari are studs and I don't really see them leaving anytime soon. Just so you know, Tennessee was the #2 seed two years ago I believe.

Yes, I know that they were. I was speaking in reference to their pre-"bruce pearl" days in general.

You may be right, they might not be headed anywhere. But if the right jobs open up at a big time roundball school, I think both of them would leave in a heartbeat(and be crazy not to, imo...), especially Calipari.

Curly Bill
2/23/2008, 09:22 PM
Once heard Calipari speak at a coach's clinic. He used lots of cuss words, but he knew a whole bunch about B-ball.

Rogue
2/23/2008, 10:00 PM
Here in Tennessee it's basketball fever! Quote of the week was by Bruce Pearl "Between Pat Summit and I we have 7 Championships...she has 7 and I don't." I knew when UT hired Pearl it was a great match. BTW...Memphis is still "Memphis State" here in East Tennesssee.

As far as them leaving...Pearl maybe. Calipari has it made. Memphis is a funny town. I am also enjoying the demise of Kentucky after the way they treated Tubby.

Curly Bill
2/23/2008, 10:10 PM
I am also enjoying the demise of Kentucky after the way they treated Tubby.

I'm enjoying the demise of Kentuck...well, just because it's Kentucky. :D

Sabanball
2/23/2008, 10:11 PM
Here in Tennessee it's basketball fever! Quote of the week was by Bruce Pearl "Between Pat Summit and I we have 7 Championships...she has 7 and I don't." I knew when UT hired Pearl it was a great match. BTW...Memphis is still "Memphis State" here in East Tennesssee.

As far as them leaving...Pearl maybe. Calipari has it made. Memphis is a funny town. I am also enjoying the demise of Kentucky after the way they treated Tubby.

I hear ya...I'm a big fan of the Tide(paper bag over my head...lol), but I am also a HUGE Bruce Pearl fan. At the time, I really thought Tennessee pulled the trigger too soon on Buzz Peterson, but when you look at what BP has done you cannot help but be amazed. He has transformed their program from the ground up and has built what is now the premier program in the SEC--which is no easy task, even in what many people consider to be a "down year" for the league.

UK will come back eventually, no doubt. They are the bell cow of this conference. But until they do, and as long as Bruce is at Tennessee, I see the Vols continuing to dominate.

Sabanball
2/23/2008, 10:16 PM
don't forget Vandy, they've been in and out of the rankings and probably a tournament team.

You are absolutely correct.

Rogue
2/23/2008, 10:28 PM
Funny I was at a going away party tonight for 2 of the biggest 'Bama fans in the world. They had to sing Rocky Top. At EVERY party in E TN you have to sing Rocky Top at some point. Renditions of Sweet Home Alabama were heard too.

Tennessee is quickly becoming a basketball school while the resurrection of Alabama football is hurting Auburn, Tennessee, and now Georgia.

Go VOLS...deep in my brackets next month.

Rogue
2/23/2008, 11:14 PM
Memphis shakes the "undefeated" monkey and the VOLS are #1 for the first time evar!

Eielson
2/23/2008, 11:34 PM
I personally would leave Memphis at #1.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/24/2008, 12:44 AM
Memphis shakes the "undefeated" monkey and the VOLS are #1 for the first time evar!
Did the 1976 Indiana Hoosiers break out the bubbly tonight, a la Mercury Morris and the '72 Dolphins?

badger
2/24/2008, 09:48 AM
This is what happens when coaches at the university work together... of course, we all know that Fulmer is not getting any help from Pearl or Summit, but perhaps the moral support in these rough crime ridden times will help him keep his job, hehe.

With that in mind, the future is bright at OU, where Stoops is a regular at basketball games with his family, and Coale and Capel seem to be on the same page. They're just a lot younger than the Tennessee gang now, so we'll see how things are in a few years :D