PDA

View Full Version : What goes on under the table between me, Cheap, Dang and Nope

Chuck Bao
2/23/2008, 06:19 AM
I’m in the process of buying a new condo. It is a failed restaurant, attractively priced for the center of Bangkok and with an equal amount of money, I think I can turn it into pretty decent living quarters.

I found out about the opportunity from my best friend, whose wife, Dang, was initially bidding on it. They found something more to their liking in the same building and passed on the opportunity to me.

I wasn’t involved in the negotiations and just assumed their bid price was good. I paid the 10% down and my company is financing the balance. We haven’t done the title transfer yet.

The stinger is that Dang apparently negotiated a kick-back to the bank officer, Cheap, in charge of selling the repossessed property. I’m not sure why. It seems pretty stupid to me.

Now, Cheap is demanding the kick-back and it’s not subtle. She has done so many things to impede my purchase, like showing up with the wrong set of keys when I scheduled my company’s property appraisal guy and my interior designer to visit the unit last Monday.

Cheap finally gave Dang a set of the keys yesterday, which was passed on to me.

Today, Cheap calls Dang and demands 500 baht deposit on the keys. Then, she calls me and does the same and wants the telephone number of Nope who is buying the unit with me. I didn’t give it to her because there is no reason to bother Nope with this silly business.

This woman really wants her under-the-table commission, NOW! The funny thing is that I’m copying the key and I don’t mind the silly little 500 baht deposit on the key.

Is this the way it’s supposed to work?

I suppose US banks are going to have to get a lot of new officers to manage all of the repossessed properties in the near future.

I just hope none of them are like Cheap.

What would you do?

Any good kick-back stories that will make my hard-earned cash payment to Cheap feel any better?

Rogue
2/23/2008, 07:03 AM
Is she saving you enough money to make it worth it? Ethics are different in business than in my line of work.

Turd_Ferguson
2/23/2008, 07:07 AM
Kill her, preferably with a long sniper shot. YWIA

Chuck Bao
2/23/2008, 07:14 AM
Is she saving you enough money to make it worth it? Ethics are different in business than in my line of work.

No. None at all. I'm just wondering if I should honor a corrupt deal that I wasn't initially involved in.

On the other hand, as bad as this may seem, it isn't worth, in my opinion, to endanger my friendship with Dang and her husband.

I've learned one thing is never go through your best friend's wife to buy property in Thailand. Never.

Chuck Bao
2/23/2008, 07:22 AM
Besides that, I think I owe my friend's wife, Dang, a commission for brokering the deal. Would 3-5% be like a standard fee?

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2008, 08:26 AM
I'd tell cheap exactly what you told us. You didn't even know about it so your not paying.

That or tell her to **** off dip ****... But you know, in Thai.

yermom
2/23/2008, 08:58 AM
Besides that, I think I owe my friend's wife, Dang, a commission for brokering the deal. Would 3-5% be like a standard fee?

you owe her commission for something you bought?

f that and the 500 baht

unless 500 is roughly equivalent to tree fiddy, or a pittance compared to the sweet deal on the place

Chuck Bao
2/23/2008, 12:31 PM
This is all so dumb.

500 baht isn't anywhere close to tree fiddy. It’s about 15 dollars, but it’s the principle of the thing.

As I mentioned before, I've already given the bank 10% down. You would think I should have access to the unit without Cheap.

Now that I’ve made multiple copies of the key, my interior designer, Suwanna, and I are going there tomorrow. Unfortunately, I mentioned this to Khun Cheap and she plans to be there.

What am I saying? She never showed up before on weekends and never arrived on time when she was the only one with the key, if she even managed to find the right key.

I do hope she gave me the correct key or I’m going to be really into **** off dip ****... in both Thai and English with some Cantonese swear words thrown in for good measure.

After we do our measuring thing tomorrow, I’m supposed to sign a contract with Suwanna guaranteeing her a $5,000 fee for her design and concepts. I’m quite okay with that even though I don’t own the place yet, thanks to Cheap.

yermom
2/23/2008, 12:33 PM
tree fiddy = $3.50

i'd pay her that and just kinda laugh to myself :D

Frozen Sooner
2/23/2008, 12:54 PM
I'm shocked-SHOCKED-that there's corruption in Thailand.

(And if a financial institution in the States found out a liquidation officer was doing something of that nature, they'd be fired on the spot. Unless the fees were actually legit, of course. I'm not even allowed to accept gifts valued at more than $10 from any account holder.)

Chuck Bao
2/23/2008, 01:24 PM
I've lived in Thailand for 20 years and I'm shocked about how blatant this was.

The ineptitude and lack of professionalism was much worse than I'd expected for one of Thailand's best private banks.

Cheap is only asking for about $700, so I'm not too stressed about it.

Or better yet, I will give Dang about $3,000 for doing the deal and she can decide to give Cheap anything or not. My hands won't be dirty that way and I'll help out my friend.

StoopTroup
2/23/2008, 03:42 PM
What may seem blatant to you might be standard there...

Pay the 15 bucks and enjoy your new digs.