PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith

Watch Me Stride
2/22/2008, 08:00 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/02/21/top.db/index.html

"9. Reggie Smith, Oklahoma, CB/S: The All-Big 12 selection has a nice blend of quickness and athleticism. Although he lacks elite speed, Smith displays good cover skills and an explosive closing burst. He drives quickly on routes, and flashes good ball skills in coverage. Smith has some position flexibility (having spent two seasons at strong safety before moving to corner in 2007) and may have a greater impact as a pro at safety. Plus, he brings value as a punt returner. Look for Smith to be selected near the end of the second round as a potential safety prospect."

Seems to me he needs to be ranked a little higher.

And someone needs to do some research on the punt return stuff, I know he was a great DB, but he never seemed to be able to break it loose when needed.

Watch Me Stride
2/22/2008, 08:01 PM
LMAO, I don't know why I posted it here, please move to the Football Forum.

goingoneight
2/23/2008, 02:05 AM
He wasn't a bad returnman until the rumored bone spur injury against Iowa State in 2006. I think we can pinpoint it to the return he tried to make when he just kinda fell on it wrong and the Cylonian blew him up about knee-level. If I remember correctly someone else stepped in at safety afterward, but the game was already put away.

And who says he doesn't have speed? He has speed and change of direction skills that will serve him well as an NFL corner.

OU-HSV
2/23/2008, 11:07 AM
He has plenty of speed. But it's certainly been a while since he was a good/consistent returner. We all know he's hella athletic and is a big play threat..but he made way too many bonehead decisions as a returner in the '07 season. I know we've all talked about this before, but there's a point in which those bonehead decisions outweigh the potential big play ability. I wish RS the best though, I hope he can get his groove back if he's utilized as a returner at the next level

Big Red Ron
2/23/2008, 01:50 PM
He shouldn't have gone pro.

BASSooner
2/24/2008, 03:28 AM
Reggie AND Curtis shouldn't have gone pro.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 10:54 AM
Reggie AND Curtis shouldn't have gone pro.Curtis is ranked as the #2 ILB

Reggie is listed as a tweener that may slip to the third round.

OU-HSV
2/25/2008, 08:58 PM
Curtis is ranked as the #2 ILB

Reggie is listed as a tweener that may slip to the third round.
Which equals a lot of money for either one. I don't think either of them made a terribly poor decision. If either of them did I would think it's Reggie. But we don't know their personal/family situations...and if they're hurting the slightest bit for money....money can talk.

sooneron
2/25/2008, 09:02 PM
Which equals a lot of money for either one. I don't think either of them made a terribly poor decision. If either of them did I would think it's Reggie. But we don't know their personal/family situations...and if they're hurting the slightest bit for money....money can talk.
It could also prove to lose them a LOT of money by leaving too early.

There is a huge difference between late first round and late second round.

OU-HSV
2/25/2008, 09:26 PM
It could also prove to lose them a LOT of money by leaving too early.

There is a huge difference between late first round and late second round.
Oh I know. I'm just saying they may need the money bad enough the risk of leaving early is worth taking...even if they drop

goingoneight
2/25/2008, 09:33 PM
I think people take it way too personally when a player leaves early. Think if you were in a bad financial situation and your son had an oppurtunity to go pro. Your youth and your health aren't exactly something that you just flip a coin about. Think also that the money these kids will make is more than they've likely ever seen before. Think also that they could have eaasily gone elsewhere to play their college downs but shined here. All I've heard since the announcement was that it was a "mistake" or that someone is "stupid." So what if you think it's a "poor decision," if their heart is set on moving on, they're not going to be much help as a senior. I don't ever hear people dogging a basketball player or baseball player for the same decisions.

OU-HSV
2/25/2008, 09:35 PM
Exactly g.o.e.

Big Red Ron
2/25/2008, 09:56 PM
Well, I know Reggie is from an upper middle class family from Edmond. His little bro still goes to school in Edmond. They aren't in dire straits. Which is why everyone was shocked he decided to go this year.

Curly Bill
2/25/2008, 10:33 PM
Truthfully I don't see how anyone can be shocked when any player goes early.

Option 1: play for free
Option 2: get paid to play, perhaps get paid millions to play

I don't see what's so hard about that. Yes I understand that sometimes a player might could make more over time by staying another year and earning a higher draft slot, then again he might blow out a knee and earn zilch.

Collier11
2/25/2008, 10:53 PM
for every person on here that gripes about Reggie and CL leaving too early, I have seen 10 reports where they are both 1st or 2nd rd picks which is a ton of $...Lets wait til the draft before we start saying they made bad decisions

effay
2/26/2008, 12:05 AM
Lets wait til the draft before we start saying they made bad decisions

...or the Combine;)

Collier11
2/26/2008, 12:20 AM
...or the Combine;)

ah WTH!!!

jtothep
2/26/2008, 04:25 AM
To all the people that are saying they made bad decisions, you should just be happy for them and wish them the best. You shouldn't be so selfish and just worry about them while they are student athletes at OU, but wish them well after their time spent at OU.

triplet
2/26/2008, 10:42 AM
The way I think about has been and always will be this:

If it were my son/daughter who could turn pro and make a lot of money to do it and attending OU I would advise them to take the money and run regardless of our financial situation. One blown knee, seperated shoulder, or concussion can "cost" you much much more than money left on the table from staying another year.

I hate to see them go pro b/c I love college football and OU in particular but when you add in that many of these players are from disadvantaged backgrounds it only makes sense to cash the check before you get hurt and can't cash a check anymore.

soonerfan28
2/26/2008, 11:18 AM
If we can keep getting 4 and 5 star guys and they stay 3 years we'll be fine. I think Reggie should have stayed another year, but why run the risk of getting hurt if you can make millions. I have to agree.

adoniijahsooner
2/26/2008, 07:59 PM
Truthfully I don't see how anyone can be shocked when any player goes early.

Option 1: play for free
Option 2: get paid to play, perhaps get paid millions to play

I don't see what's so hard about that. Yes I understand that sometimes a player might could make more over time by staying another year and earning a higher draft slot, then again he might blow out a knee and earn zilch.

Or sometimes they may not get drafted at all, and end having to pay there way through college to finish up. Many of these athletes are lost after their careers are over, so why not take advantage and get a degree.