PDA

View Full Version : A good handgun?

OUDoc
2/22/2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe even for getting with a permit to carry.
My wife is mostly interested in getting one for herself, or maybe for either of us to carry until/if we buy another. I really don't know a lot about guns. We went out and shot several.
My uncle's a retired cop, he thinks a 380 (how different from a .38?).
He carries a .45(?) Glock but I shot it and it's too small for me (the gun, not the caliber). His has part of the grip on the clip, I think it's an extra small model.
He thinks I should carry one at least in my car, since drug-seekers might be waiting for me to pull up at the clinic. (I've never seen anyone where I pull in behind the clinic.)

Remember, mostly my wife has been wanting one since our daughter was killed, but I'm interested as well. We'd both go to gun safety classes (I have a patient who's an gun instructor), so the first gun would be for either of us to use, but mostly her. What do you guys think?

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2008, 04:31 PM
If my wife felt the need for one, I'd let her. We have children who aren't bashful about getting in mom's purse, so we'd have to consider that.

Mixer!
2/22/2008, 04:31 PM
http://glockfaq.com/guide.htm

SOONER STEAKER
2/22/2008, 04:34 PM
Get the gun that shoots water. :D Keep everyone around you alive. Get a slingshot and sling stones. :D

OUDoc
2/22/2008, 04:35 PM
This looks like his.

http://glockfaq.com/images/guide/g30.jpg

StoopTroup
2/22/2008, 04:36 PM
I'd get a handgun and carry license and also set up a schedule so the both of you can train together. In other words...just go ahead and buy both guns once you decide what kind is best for each of you respectively.

You might think about a security box at the office and Home for both guns.

I also think most folks should have a shotgun for Home / Business security.

In close quarters...you won't miss with a shotgun.

Mixer!
2/22/2008, 04:37 PM
.410 guage work best.

yermom
2/22/2008, 04:38 PM
i haven't looked at Mixer's link yet, but a .380 is a LOT less powerful than a .38

.380's are probably the lower limit on something to carry concealed.

seems most people use .45, 9mm or .40

unless you are talking wheel guns, then it's mostly .357 it seems

i like the Springfield XD over the Glock, and 1911 personally, but that is bound to open a can of worms ;)

silverwheels
2/22/2008, 04:39 PM
Springfield XD .40 cal...just make sure you don't have it on you when you get drunk and end up firing it out of the back window of a moving car on I-40 near downtown.

BigRedJed
2/22/2008, 04:40 PM
Man, yermom the gun afficianado!! Who knew?

BigRedJed
2/22/2008, 04:41 PM
I'm going to have to stop teasing him about his tiny ipod, or he might havva bus' a cap.

StoopTroup
2/22/2008, 04:41 PM
Go with a 40 and a nice holster. :D

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/40-ounce-beer-cozy-8.jpg

StoopTroup
2/22/2008, 04:42 PM
He's Doleo's Head of Security. :D

shaun4411
2/22/2008, 04:44 PM
a 9millimeter is good becuase its light and you can put a few rounds out fast. but it may not stop a very determined attacker. a .40 has more stopping power. a .45 will make him rethink his lifestyle while he is dying waiting for the ambulance.

yermom
2/22/2008, 04:46 PM

i wouldn't go that far. i was taught to shoot by my grandpa a retired cop and Army reservist though. he was teaching at least one of those groups how to shoot for decades

my first gun was one of his competition Colt 1911's. it's pretty slick

walkoffsooner
2/22/2008, 04:50 PM
I like the glock 34, holds 18 rds its a little larger than other glocks. If your a big ole boy easy to conceal.

StoopTroup
2/22/2008, 04:51 PM
I know what your thinking....

Did he fire 17 rounds...or 18?

Well...

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2008, 04:53 PM
If you stop by the gun show later, I can hook you up with a couple grenade launchers. You know, the illegal kind.

Taxman71
2/22/2008, 04:55 PM
I'd like to have a shotgun and/or handgun in the house for safety, but can't stand the thought of my 2 boys getting their hands on it when I'm not around.

Any suggestions (other than being a stricter parent)?

soonerinabilene
2/22/2008, 04:56 PM
a 9millimeter is good becuase its light and you can put a few rounds out fast. but it may not stop a very determined attacker.

If you know how to shoot, a .22 will stop a determined attacker.

proud gonzo
2/22/2008, 04:58 PM
I have a Glock 17 (9mm). I have small hands and it works for me, but my dad can shoot it also. Glocks are lightweight, too.

I don't know that I'd recommend it as one to carry, though... for me at least it would be way too big to conceal anywhere. Unless she carries a really big purse, it might be a little cumbersome. That's personal preference, though. I'll definitely use a much smaller gun when i get my carry permit.

proud gonzo
2/22/2008, 05:00 PM
I'd like to have a shotgun and/or handgun in the house for safety, but can't stand the thought of my 2 boys getting their hands on it when I'm not around.

Any suggestions (other than being a stricter parent)?ok, here's my soapbox about this. I grew up with guns in the house, and I knew exactly where they were. My dad taught me gun safety (from the time i was tiny) and let me shoot a gun so I wasn't curious about it. I don't know what age your boys are, but IMO if you teach them gun safety it shouldn't be a problem.

oilmud
Glock 19 or 23. Excellent shooters, yet not too big to carry concealed.

BigRedJed

Any suggestions (other than being a stricter parent)?
Gun safe, trigger lock, concealed carry holster and take it with you, good gun education class for the boys, regular shooting with them, and you putting the fear of God into them regarding touching Dad's guns when he's not home. Any and all would make it safer than just plopping it under the bed and forgetting about it. Parents who do that are much better off never bringing a gun into the house in the first place, IMO.

oilmud
2/22/2008, 05:01 PM
ok, here's my soapbox about this. I grew up with guns in the house, and I knew exactly where they were. My dad taught me gun safety (from the time i was tiny) and let me shoot a gun so I wasn't curious about it. I don't know what age your boys are, but IMO if you teach them gun safety it shouldn't be a problem.

+1

soonerinabilene
2/22/2008, 05:06 PM
ok, here's my soapbox about this. I grew up with guns in the house, and I knew exactly where they were. My dad taught me gun safety (from the time i was tiny) and let me shoot a gun so I wasn't curious about it. I don't know what age your boys are, but IMO if you teach them gun safety it shouldn't be a problem.

Same thing with sex. :texan:

sooner_born_1960
2/22/2008, 05:07 PM
That's just not right.

proud gonzo
2/22/2008, 05:11 PM
I like the glock 34, holds 18 rds its a little larger than other glocks. If your a big ole boy easy to conceal.dude, if you know how to aim, you won't need 18 rounds in a conceal carry gun.

Unless you're being attacked by an army of ninjas, and in that case I'm pretty sure you're screwed either way.

Hamhock
2/22/2008, 05:57 PM
a semi-automatic is a catch-22. i have a glock 33. it is a small frame, so i can conceal it, but it is tougher to shoot (grip is on the clip as mentioned before).

i'd get a small wheel gun. they are a lot easier to conceal. sports world in tulsa has one with an integrated laser sight. (probably my next purchase).

i have several loaded guns in the house. the kids know where each one of them are located. they have shot them. they know that playing with one could end their life.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 06:02 PM
Glock 19 or 23. Excellent shooters, yet not too big to carry concealed.

Another vote for the Glock 19. I carry a Glock 23, but not sure I'd recommend a .40 cal for most female shooters.

edit...or lots of men shooters too for that matter.

olevetonahill
2/22/2008, 06:03 PM
A 38 fer her a 357 fer you
Nuff said
After you have em fer along time and have fired a Lot of rounds , then Move to something else If you want

Taxman71
2/22/2008, 06:11 PM

Good points, along with Jed. Boys are under 5, so I have time to work on them. On the plus side, my father in law has tons of guns in the house (which they frequent daily), hunts year round, attends shooting/hunting safety classes and lets me go to the shooting range with him. So I guess I just need to follow his lead and invest in the trigger locks, gunsafe, etc. in my own house.

Jerk
2/22/2008, 06:13 PM
Doc, with your income you need to look at the Dillon Aero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkNH7BOA7-Q&feature=related)

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 06:15 PM
Doc, with your income you need to look at the Dillon Aero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkNH7BOA7-Q&feature=related)

Dayum...can I get one of those at one of those California gun shows?

OUDoc
2/22/2008, 06:25 PM
They make a holster for that?

olevetonahill
2/22/2008, 06:30 PM
Dayum If we had had that instead Of the 60
The gooks would have been Smoked alot faster

Jerk
2/22/2008, 06:37 PM
Dayum If we had had that instead Of the 60
The gooks would have been Smoked alot faster

When the military created the 60 by copying the German MG-42, they should have just left it the same as the original. The MG-42 was an evil machine that spat out bullets like a 'zipper'; the M-60, eh, not so much.

frankensooner
2/22/2008, 06:45 PM
Colt Diamondback in the 4 inch. .38 caliber. ywia. (they don't make em new, but you can pick one up at a dealer. It is one of the finest wheel guns you can get. Your wife will love it.)

Harry Beanbag
2/22/2008, 06:47 PM
Dayum...can I get one of those at one of those California gun shows?

Yeah, I picked one up last summer. I've got it mounted to the front rack on my quad. :texan:

IB4OU
2/22/2008, 07:05 PM
Is there a gun club in OKC that rents handguns? Tulsa Firearms has an indoor range and rents the more popular models. It's nice to give them a try to find out what is comfortable to you. Like you, I wasn't very fond of the compact Glocks (especially the .45). Felt like it was going to fly out of my hands every time I shot it. Most of the "experts" I talked with recommended .357, .40, or .45 for personal defense. If ever needed, you want to make big holes.

oilmud
2/22/2008, 07:07 PM
Is there a gun club in OKC that rents handguns? Tulsa Firearms has an indoor range and rents the more popular models. It's nice to give them a try to find out what is comfortable to you. Like you, I wasn't very fond of the compact Glocks (especially the .45). Felt like it was going to fly out of my hands every time I shot it. Most of the "experts" I talked with recommended .357, .40, or .45 for personal defense. If ever needed, you want to make big holes.

H&H

Jerk
2/22/2008, 07:11 PM
I wish I was a handgun guy so I could give you some serious advice, doc.

When you're ready for a 'homeland security rifle' give me a ring.:D

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/59/stg58csz7.jpg

ps- I think, from talking to a police buddy of mine, that the G-19 would be a good bet.

Jerk
2/22/2008, 07:14 PM
The Dog protects the family (that is Mr. Brodee, the floppy eared german shephered)

The rifle protects the dog

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7040/picture003vz4.jpg

AlbqSooner
2/22/2008, 09:07 PM
The advantage to the .45 is that it has knockdown power. Although you can stop a guy with a .22, he may take several stumbling steps toward you before he goes down. With the .45 he takes a few flying steps back with one hit.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:08 PM
The advantage to the .45 is that it has knockdown power. Although you can stop a guy with a .22, he may take several stumbling steps toward you before he goes down. With the .45 he takes a few flying steps back with one hit.

You gotta quit watching so much TV...cause this does not really happen.

AlbqSooner
2/22/2008, 09:16 PM
You gotta quit watching so much TV...cause this does not really happen.
We simply disagree. Being shot with a .22 is painful but not immediately debilitating. Being shot with a .45 is immediate neutralization of you as a threat.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:25 PM
We simply disagree. Being shot with a .22 is painful but not immediately debilitating. Being shot with a .45 is immediate neutralization of you as a threat.

You're not real familiar with terminal ballistics and the effect that different projectiles have on the human body huh?

Yes a .45 would likely stop someone quicker then a .22, but to say that it will knock someone back several flying steps is pure Hollywood, and there are untold numbers of stories of peeps who were hit by a .45 that did not immediately stop what they were doing.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:28 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ZMM5PFEKL._OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/0873646533/ref=dp_image_0/102-1593533-8797726?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books)

Read this.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:34 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513M9VX5Y0L._SS400_.jpg

Another work on the effects of various handgun rounds on the human body.

Rogue
2/22/2008, 09:36 PM
Shoot different guns. Get the one(s) that fit you the best. OKC used to have a few good indoor ranges where you could borrow some. Your comfort/confidence is at least as important as any argument about caliber, style, brand, or finish.

There are as many opinions about guns as there are gun owners.

Concealed carry is a bit overrated in my book. Creates unnecessary paperwork and very few people continue to carry a gun around all the time after the novelty wears off of the permit. Ever know a lady that got a ticket for keeping a gun in her purse? Me either.

At our place, we use a 12 ga..
I keep either a 9 or a .357 in the truck.

Mrs. Rogue has a .32 auto that she doesn't like and a .357 that she loves. Now she's wanting a .45

Gun shop guy keeps trying to sell her a .40 but I really can't see any advantage over a 9. 40s are very finicky about reloading. A buddy blew his up by being off on some setting by a tiny rch. She is prolly getting a .45 or a 9, whichever she likes better. Odd little lady that likes a huge heavy gun, and she's a better shot than most.

Finally...being a good shot and being a good shot in combat are not the same thing. For most people, that is those who don't shoot 1000s of rounds/month, a hi-cap auto is probably a better plan. Many accounts of folks defending their homes that emptied the gun (sometimes several times) and only remembered shooting a couple of times.

edit: all that said, I'm not a fan of little .25s or .380s.

r5TPsooner
2/22/2008, 09:38 PM
Anyone own a S&W Sigma 9mm?

Jerk
2/22/2008, 09:40 PM
At our place, we use a 12 ga..

Of all the dozens of rifles, handguns, and shotguns at my house, there is only one that remains loaded.

The 870.

I have a loaded mag in one of the FAL's in case of some Red Dawn or Zombie SHTF scenario, but the 870 stays loaded, next to the bed.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:41 PM
Anyone own a S&W Sigma 9mm?

Nope, but got a S&W 6906. I like it except the trigger pull is too damn heavy. I need to take it in and have it lightened up some.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:43 PM
Of all the dozens of rifles, handguns, and shotguns at my house, there is only one that remains loaded.

The 870.

I have a loaded mag in one of the FAL's in case of some Red Dawn or Zombie SHTF scenario, but the 870 stays loaded, next to the bed.

Now the ol' 12 ga. actually does have some of that knock them backwards power. :D

r5TPsooner
2/22/2008, 09:49 PM
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_1207_05Amain.jpg

I love the looks of the Kimber grand raptor 1911 above, but $1500 is a steep price tag.

Jerk
2/22/2008, 09:49 PM
Now the ol' 12 ga. actually does have some of that knock them backwards power. :D

I only have, like, 4 shells in the magazine. Which is kind of funny considering I have rifles in the safe which have 30 round high-cap mags. I just figure that if I can't kill them with 4 shots from an 870, then I deserve to die. (However, I do have a 'saddle' on the buttstock with 5 more rounds)

My loads are split between buckshot and slugs. Whichever is loaded is determined by my mood. Yeah, I'm kind of a male b*tch.

SoonerBorn68
2/22/2008, 09:52 PM
If Jerk can post pics of his rifle in this thread, I can post one of my new toy.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/misc/ak74.jpg

Oh, and Doc, a small frame .45 is way good enough.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:53 PM
I only have, like, 4 shells in the magazine. Which is kind of funny considering I have rifles in the safe which have 30 round high-cap mags. I just figure that if I can't kill them with 4 shots from an 870, then I deserve to die. (However, I do have a 'saddle' on the buttstock with 5 more rounds)

My loads are split between buckshot and slugs. Whichever is loaded is determined by my mood. Yeah, I'm kind of a male b*tch.

If you're askin me, there ain't nothin better for home defense then a scattergun. I like bucksot better for the pattern, and a shorter barrel so there's a little more spread.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:55 PM
http://ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/204L.jpg

Jerk
2/22/2008, 09:55 PM
If you're askin me, there ain't nothin better for home defense then a scattergun. I like bucksot better for the pattern, and a shorter barrel so there's a little more spread.

You can legally cut the barrel down >18" with an SBR license ($200 from the ATF and law enforcement sign-off - which Sherrif Wetzel will do in Oklahoma County)

A short barrel pump 870 would be the shiznet.

I've also thought about a short barreled side-by-side.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:56 PM
http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/HG_1207_05Amain.jpg

I love the looks of the Kimber grand raptor 1911 above, but $1500 is a steep price tag.

Sure is one purty shootin iron though.

SoonerBorn68
2/22/2008, 09:56 PM

Ours is loaded alternately with .00 & #4. It's gonna suck to be the dude that breaks into my house. :D

Jerk
2/22/2008, 09:57 PM
If Jerk can post pics of his rifle in this thread, I can post one of my new toy.

http://www.geocities.com/soonerborn91/misc/ak74.jpg

Oh, and Doc, a small frame .45 is way good enough.

Is that a WASR in that new-fangled Soviet mouse-gun round?

I wouldn't mind having one because the ammo is so damn cheap. Plus, nothing says "Oh sh*t!" like an AK. I used to have a Bulgarian SR-93 (milled AK with chrome-lined barrel) but..I sold it:(

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:58 PM
http://ruger.com/Firearms/images/Product-Variations/258.jpg (http://ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=57&variation=Gloss Stainless&bct=Yes&type=Revolver)

Ruger Vaquero. I want me a pair of these next. :D

SoonerBorn68
2/22/2008, 10:01 PM
Is that a WASR in that new-fangled Soviet mouse-gun round?

I wouldn't mind having one because the ammo is so damn cheap. Plus, nothing says "Oh sh*t!" like an AK. I used to have a Bulgarian SR-93 (milled AK with chrome-lined barrel) but..I sold it:(

Dang, you're good. AK-74 w/5.45 x 39. My wife got it for me for Valentines day. I wouldn't have even considered getting it (since I already have 2 '47's) but it came with everything in the pic--and that ammo box has 2,160 rounds in it. :texan:

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 10:04 PM
Dang, you're good. AK-74 w/5.45 x 39. My wife got it for me for Valentines day. I wouldn't have even considered getting it (since I already have 2 '47's) but it came with everything in the pic--and that ammo box has 2,160 rounds in it. :texan:

You lucky ba***rd. ;)

edit...bastard actually showed up but I was too embarrassed to leave it like that. :O

Jerk
2/22/2008, 10:06 PM

anything that shoots 5.45 x 39 is a good buy because surplus ammo is cheap and plentiful.

r5TPsooner
2/22/2008, 10:07 PM
Sure is one purty shootin iron though.

As usual I always pick the most expensive one!:D

It is a sweet looking 9mm.

Jerk
2/22/2008, 10:08 PM

ps- when looking at an AK, the red magazine is a dead giveaway that it's a 5.45 x 39

Mongo
2/22/2008, 10:08 PM
Ours is loaded alternately with .00 & #4. It's gonna suck to be the dude that breaks into my house. :D

Heh, I got the 1187 with 4, 3 1/2" double oughts in there for the wife's security purposes. If she hit the poor bastard and hit him, that would be one nasty crime scene.

and I second the Springfield XD .45. I have the tactical version and I love it. The clip holds 13 rounds, so I know If I dont hit him with one of the 13, I know he'll die of dehydration from ****ting himself

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 10:13 PM
As usual I always pick the most expensive one!:D

It is a sweet looking 9mm.

Sure that's a 9mm? It might be, but most of the 1911 clones, and Kimber makes a fine one, is of the .45 variety.

...or what I should maybe say is that you can get a lot of the 1911 clones in 9mm and .40 S&W, but they are usually of the .45 variety.

Where I to ever go the route of getting a 1911 or one of it's clones, I myself would go with the .45. It's a natural in that particular gun.

Rogue
2/22/2008, 10:14 PM
I alternate the shells in the 12 ga too. Taught Mrs. R to aim for the head with the 1st shot and center-mass from thereafter. Ideer's to blind the attacker first and then "defend yourself" with everything else until he can't sue you.

Rogue
2/22/2008, 10:16 PM
Just since I've been waiting for a gun thread...finally got a 30/30 lever last weekend at the gun show. When I first knew I was moving to Tennessee I imagined one hanging on the wall. Just looks like a "Tennessee gun" to me. And learned that Dad's old .22 pump is probably worth some cash but I just like it cause it's what I grew up shootin'.

Guess my Daisy BBGun was a "gateway" gun.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 10:17 PM
Just since I've been waiting for a gun thread...finally got a 30/30 lever last weekend at the gun show. When I first knew I was moving to Tennessee I imagined one hanging on the wall. Just looks like a "Tennessee gun" to me.

Winchester?

or

Marlin?

Rogue
2/22/2008, 10:34 PM
Winchester?

or

Marlin?

This one's a Marlin. I like the 1894s better, but I got a good deal. Had to go put it in my truck because I got so many inquiries about it packing it around for an hour.

Sorry for the threadjack Doc...what are you leaning toward?

Harry Beanbag
2/23/2008, 10:18 AM
Sure that's a 9mm? It might be, but most of the 1911 clones, and Kimber makes a fine one, is of the .45 variety.

...or what I should maybe say is that you can get a lot of the 1911 clones in 9mm and .40 S&W, but they are usually of the .45 variety.

Where I to ever go the route of getting a 1911 or one of it's clones, I myself would go with the .45. It's a natural in that particular gun.

In boot camp we shot 1911's that were .22 caliber. The Navy rules. :)

r5TPsooner
2/23/2008, 12:14 PM

According to the website, you have the option of either. If I was going to buy that particular gun, I'd go with the .45 just because the ammo may be cheaper.

Mixer!
2/23/2008, 03:24 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3742/calicom950rv2.jpg

Killerbees
2/23/2008, 03:53 PM
If your not in a rush to get one I would wait a bit until the new Walther PPS become more available. 1" thickness at the widest part and Walthers quality would make it an excellent carry gun. I believe they come in 2 flavors, 40 and 9mm.

For the poster who was concerned about his children playing with a home defense weapon. They have these small affordable safes that are just large enough for a handgun that quick open by pressing a few buttons in the right order. For a shotgun I guess a lock would have to work but fumbling around with keys with a bad guy in the house is not for me. I would also reiterate what others said, just teach the kids about guns and how to safely handle them.

soonerloyal
2/23/2008, 09:03 PM
I'm partial to a SIG Sauer myself.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/23/2008, 10:40 PM
Good info. Me and the Mrs. are getting our concealed Carry Permit before the Dems take office. I am thinking of a revolver as they won't jam like a semi, but then, there are less shots...confused.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/23/2008, 10:41 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3742/calicom950rv2.jpg

What's this?

Curly Bill
2/23/2008, 10:44 PM
Good info. Me and the Mrs. are getting our concealed Carry Permit before the Dems take office. I am thinking of a revolver as they won't jam like a semi, but then, there are less shots...confused.

Well, they can jam. Just not as likely and in a different manner. A good semi-auto is not very likely to jam either.

If you are someone who wants to adequately familiarize yourself with your gun I'd go with the semi-auto. If you're someone that does not plan on shooting often, and just isn't real interested in guns beyond seeing it as a tool to provide self defense the revolver is more simple in operation, and probably easier to shoot adequately well.

yermom
2/23/2008, 11:04 PM
What's this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_M950

(i didn't know it, i looked at the image path)