PDA

View Full Version : Has OU MBB played a solid complete game yet?

Jeopardude
2/22/2008, 03:46 PM
The thing about this team that drives me nuts is their lack of consistency. I'm trying to remember but can't-- have they played a game with focus and energy from start to finish?

OUSKINS
2/22/2008, 04:01 PM
Focus and energy?

Yes, I'd say they do that all game, just about every game.

There have been brief flashes of disinterested play this year, but not many. The start of the SFA game was pathetic in terms of energy, and the entire mentality in Colorado was awful, but for the most part, this team "brings it" night in and night out.

The inconsistency you see stems from talent, not effort.

Capel has gotten the ABSOLUTE MOST you could expect from our main trio of guards. Quite simply-- they are all hard-workers, but a bit short on natural talent. When David Godbold has a bad game, I don't think it's because he's not focused enough.

This team is exceeding expectations....finding ways to win. I think the "lulls" you see are generally when our on-court deficincies show up.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/22/2008, 04:15 PM
Focus and energy?

Yes, I'd say they do that all game, just about every game.

There have been brief flashes of disinterested play this year, but not many. The start of the SFA game was pathetic in terms of energy, and the entire mentality in Colorado was awful, but for the most part, this team "brings it" night in and night out.

The inconsistency you see stems from talent, not effort.

Capel has gotten the ABSOLUTE MOST you could expect from our main trio of guards. Quite simply-- they are all hard-workers, but a bit short on natural talent. When David Godbold has a bad game, I don't think it's because he's not focused enough.

This team is exceeding expectations....finding ways to win. I think the "lulls" you see are generally when our on-court deficincies show up.

I actually thought the effort was pretty good in the Colo game. The outside shooting was among the worst ever though. 4-26. If we shot in that game like we did against Baylor and at TT we would have won by 15-20 at Colo.

I think the game @A&M was pretty close to our most complete game, of course we lost. West Virginia was very good as well. Maybe we haven't had an A+ game this year but we have had some pretty consistant B and B+ efforts.

ouradu
2/22/2008, 04:20 PM
I thought, while Gonzaga was a low scoring defensive game in the first half, we played a solid game in that one.

fwsooner22
2/22/2008, 04:32 PM
Did anybody see West Virginia or Memphis.....I am a whole lot less worried about complete games and effort from Capel's team than I am about the same from Stoops teams lately.

Jeopardude
2/22/2008, 05:43 PM
I actually thought the effort was pretty good in the Colo game. The outside shooting was among the worst ever though. 4-26. If we shot in that game like we did against Baylor and at TT we would have won by 15-20 at Colo.

I think the game @A&M was pretty close to our most complete game, of course we lost. West Virginia was very good as well. Maybe we haven't had an A+ game this year but we have had some pretty consistant B and B+ efforts.

West Virginia was the one I thought most. I guess it is a matter of talent, buthow they build leads and the leads disappear is what frustrates me the most. And the defensive breakdowns leading to layups.

TopDawg
2/22/2008, 06:49 PM
buthow they build leads and the leads disappear is what frustrates me the most.

Welcome to the game of basketball.

It's frustrating, but it happens to everyone.

When it happened under Sampson, we would go 10 minutes without scoring and the opponent would claw back into the game. When it happens with this team, we go 5 minutes without making a defensive stop and the opponent jumps back into the game.

I think that'll get better as we continue to improve our talent...both with the current players getting better and the new players coming in.

Sooner98
2/22/2008, 06:50 PM
I really thought the Baylor game was solid from start to finish. You could maybe say that the defense didn't get the job done at times, but I think that Baylor's guards were just unstoppable. Not much else that we could have done to slow them down.

TopDawg
2/22/2008, 06:56 PM
I really thought the Baylor game was solid from start to finish. You could maybe say that the defense didn't get the job done at times, but I think that Baylor's guards were just unstoppable. Not much else that we could have done to slow them down.

Putting pressure on the in-bound pass would've helped. They added a good half-minute to that game by letting the ball roll on the in-bounds play. We didn't do anything about it because we thought it wouldn't matter, but it ended up being huge. I think there was one possession late in the game where they went the length of the court and got an open, regular-length 3-pointer with only 3 seconds running off the clock.

The real problem there is that we weren't able to take advantage of our size on offense.

OUmillenium
2/22/2008, 09:14 PM
Did anybody see West Virginia or Memphis.....I am a whole lot less worried about complete games and effort from Capel's team than I am about the same from Stoops teams lately.

Ha! Take that footballers!!

stoopified
2/22/2008, 10:02 PM
Arkansa. We Outshot the Hawgs ,outrebounded them AND kept out TO's to a minimum.We have oacouple of other games where we played good D but didn't shoot well or stunk at the line,or were lacking on the boards.

Salt City Sooner
2/22/2008, 10:49 PM
Arkansa. We Outshot the Hawgs ,outrebounded them AND kept out TO's to a minimum.We have oacouple of other games where we played good D but didn't shoot well or stunk at the line,or were lacking on the boards.
The 'hogs kicked our ever-loving butts on the boards to the tune of 42-35, including 24 offensive boards alone. It's what kept them from getting blown out, & was easily the most frustrating aspect of that game to me. It seemed like every time we got a stop, they'd get a second shot.

tdsooner1321
2/22/2008, 11:01 PM
The 'hogs kicked our ever-loving butts on the boards to the tune of 42-35, including 24 offensive boards alone. It's what kept them from getting blown out, & was easily the most frustrating aspect of that game to me. It seemed like every time we got a stop, they'd get a second shot.

Yeah, I remember thinking how can we be so big and so bad a rebounding. They have improved alot as the season has gone on though.

Eielson
2/23/2008, 01:53 PM
Honestly I think that the Memphis game was one of our top games. They seemed to be a way better team but we hung in there and had a shot at the end. We played them in one of their tightest, maybe their tighest outside of UAB, and they have played some pretty good teams. Griffin has developed a lot since then, too.

TopDawg
2/24/2008, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I remember thinking how can we be so big and so bad a rebounding. They have improved alot as the season has gone on though.

It was because about half of their shots came from beyond the arc. Long shots = long rebounds. We typically had pretty good position, but the ball was sailing over our heads. Sure, you need to know how to adjust your position depending on the shot, but it was remarkable how many of their shots bounced way the hell away from the goal.

bluedogok
2/25/2008, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the game of basketball.

It's frustrating, but it happens to everyone.

When it happened under Sampson, we would go 10 minutes without scoring and the opponent would claw back into the game. When it happens with this team, we go 5 minutes without making a defensive stop and the opponent jumps back into the game.

I think that'll get better as we continue to improve our talent...both with the current players getting better and the new players coming in.
That is what I was going to say, those scoring droughts of Sampson's teams were always frustrating. As I watch games of others, no one seems to put together a "complete" game like teams did a few years ago. Every team has weaknesses and faults, it is a byproduct of "The League" and the one and done players who play an individual game instead of a team game. It gets worse every year.

SleestakSooner
3/6/2008, 03:09 AM
They have now! Sooners played great D and O while dashing the Pokes slim hope for a chance to dance

badger
3/6/2008, 07:55 AM
Agreed. This was about as complete a game as you can get. What a great time for Crocker to figure out he can drive the basket!

Boomer.....
3/6/2008, 08:16 AM
Crocker seems out of control at times when driving but does add another dimension to his game.

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 10:58 AM
He's still getting used to moving with the ball, I think. I saw some really good things from Cade as well. Capel, however, decided to go with Godbold on the road, a decision I agreed with.

My favorite play of Cade's was when he got the ball on the wing with a defender out of position. he drove to the basket and got hammered by two OSU players, drawing an easy foul. He nails both free throws, and the momentum swings more our way. It was a big part of getting the crowd out of the game when OSU was hanging with us in the first half.

soonerfan28
3/6/2008, 11:05 AM
I know the season is not over yet, but I can't help and get excited about how good we'll be next year. Does anyone have any predictions on what our starting lineup will look like? I think it will be Johnson, Warren, Crocker, Griffin, and Griffin

crawfish
3/6/2008, 11:40 AM
I know the season is not over yet, but I can't help and get excited about how good we'll be next year. Does anyone have any predictions on what our starting lineup will look like? I think it will be Johnson, Warren, Crocker, Griffin, and Griffin

If Warren is even as close to the major offensive threat he's being advertised to be, it will take tons of pressure off Crocker, Johnson and Davis...imagine opponents having to double-team Griffin in the post AND Warren on the perimeter!

It'd be great to have three players who could take over a game. Between Griffin, Warren and Crocker, we might just have that...

NormanPride
3/6/2008, 11:51 AM
Don't forget Cade! He's just now figuring out where he fits in college ball. He's a smart player, and he knows how to make plays.

Jeopardude
3/6/2008, 11:52 AM
Well, I've just seen two complete games. OU's D is AWESOME. Crocker and Godbold are excellent defenders. And the others ain't bad either.

They have kept the intensity up throughout the game with minimal lags. I'm satisfied. :D

soonerfan28
3/6/2008, 12:30 PM
I think Cade's the first of the bench with Wright and Neysmith right behind him. Hopefully Orlando Allen will develop into a threat and then we can play Blake at the 4 position. I think Blake at the 4 is a mis-match for any team we play.