PDA

View Full Version : NCAA rules on appeal

kingswitz
2/22/2008, 11:33 AM
No vacated wins for 2005 season. :D

INDIANAPOLIS—The NCAA Division I Infractions Appeals Committee partially upheld a failure to monitor violation while reversing a vacation of records penalty imposed last summer against the University of Oklahoma.

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions released its finding regarding the university’s football program July 11, 2007. It determined that three football student-athletes received payment for work not performed at a Norman, Oklahoma automobile dealership. The impermissible benefits totaled approximately $17,000 in unearned wages and led to the committee’s finding that the university failed to monitor the employment of football student-athletes. The seriousness of the case was magnified by the fact that two student-athletes competed while ineligible during the entire 2005 football season.

During the infractions appeals process, Oklahoma challenged the failure to monitor finding. The university said it believed the Committee on Infractions’ findings were contrary to the evidence presented; the facts found by the committee did not constitute a violation of NCAA rules; and a procedural error affected the reliability of the information that was used to support the committee’s findings.

In considering the Oklahoma appeal, the Infractions Appeals Committee reviewed the notice of appeal; the transcript of the hearing before the Committee on Infractions; the appeal documents filed by Oklahoma and the Committee on Infractions’ responses.

While the university raised several points in support of its contention that the failure to monitor findings should be reversed, the Infractions Appeals Committee found that these points did not justify a complete reversal. However, the Infractions Appeals Committee did reverse a portion of the failure to monitor finding. Specifically, the committee found, as did the Committee on Infractions, that the university failed to follow established institutional procedures for monitoring student-athletes’ employment when it did not collect in a timely fashion gross earnings statements for 12 football student-athletes during the 2005 summer vacation period. However, the Infractions Appeals Committee overturned the findings of violation that the university failed to detect that football student-athletes worked at the auto dealership during the 2004-05 and 2005-06 academic years. The committee reasoned that failure to detect the employment of a student-athlete would not in itself constitute a separate violation of NCAA legislation.

When considering the vacation of the 2005 football records, the Infractions Appeals Committee determined that the university’s cooperation was a significant factor in the ultimate determination of the violations. The Infractions Appeals Committee stated that the Committee on Infractions report did not acknowledge or discuss the nature or extent of the institution’s cooperation, nor specify what weight, if any, was given to that cooperation. Therefore, the Infractions Appeals Committee found that vacation of the records was inappropriate and that penalty was overturned.

The members of the Infractions Appeals Committee who heard this case were: Christopher L. Griffin, Foley & Lardner LLP, chair; Susan Cross Lipnickey, Miami University (Ohio); Noel M. Ragsdale, University of Southern California; Allan A. Ryan Jr., Harvard University; and David Williams, Vanderbilt University.

BillyBall
2/22/2008, 11:34 AM
Sweet, so we did win the Holiday Bowl!!!

kingswitz
2/22/2008, 11:34 AM
Linkage: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/home?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/Media+and+Events/Press+Room/News+Release+Archive/2008/Infractions/NCAA+Division+I+Infractions+Appeals+Committee+Cons iders+University+of+Oklahoma+Appeal

Soonerviewer
2/22/2008, 11:37 AM
OU has 2005 wins reinstated

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080222_2__OKLAH06022

CincySooner
2/22/2008, 11:41 AM
Great News

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2008, 11:46 AM
heh, usc

boomersooner28
2/22/2008, 11:50 AM
Cool cool cool....move on to the condoms please. :pop:

mizzOUstu702
2/22/2008, 12:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3258745

Woo-hoo? Didn't see this posted.

Edit: Whoops! It is a repeat post--feel free to delete mods.

starrca23
2/22/2008, 12:07 PM
It took forever, but at least common sense prevailed.

Flagstaffsooner
2/22/2008, 12:08 PM
Cool cool cool....move on to the condoms please. :pop:Here's the deal...

The members of the Infractions Appeals Committee who heard this case were: Christopher L. Griffin, Foley & Lardner LLP, chair; Susan Cross Lipnickey, Miami University (Ohio); Noel M. Ragsdale, University of Southern California; Allan A. Ryan Jr., Harvard University; and David Williams, Vanderbilt University.
So Noel can let suc off too.:mad:

OUmillenium
2/22/2008, 12:14 PM
hmmmmmm

oupride
2/22/2008, 12:26 PM
THANK YOU PRESIDENT BOREN!!!

Collier11
2/22/2008, 12:41 PM
I said back when we filed the appeal on this board that we would get our wins back...This is Great News!

SoonerBOI
2/22/2008, 12:45 PM
yes!

ouflak
2/22/2008, 12:49 PM
Wow.

Boomer.....
2/22/2008, 12:53 PM
Great news!

TexasLidig8r
2/22/2008, 12:53 PM
but.. but.. but.. the NCAA hates you guys! They are biased against OU!

Everyone knows they single out OU and hits them with the stiffest penalties possible!

Collier11
2/22/2008, 01:08 PM

Everyone knows they single out OU and hits them with the stiffest penalties possible!

they had to do this so they wont have to a** rape usuc

olevetonahill
2/22/2008, 01:10 PM

We challenged the ruling on the field, and Won

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2008, 01:11 PM

dude, they are just preparing everyone for letting usc off with no penalties. sheesh ;)

Collier11
2/22/2008, 01:11 PM
So Romar gets to keep his MVP trophy from the Holiday Bowl...w00t!! :)

TheUnnamedSooner
2/22/2008, 01:17 PM
Here's the deal...

So Noel can let suc off too.:mad:

Noel will suc off the ncaa

swardboy
2/22/2008, 01:18 PM
Does this mean the Idiot can come back to OU?

:rolleyes:

Collier11
2/22/2008, 01:19 PM
although a key point from the NCAA was that we were so proactive in this case, usuc hasnt been so if there is proof that Carroll, Bush, or anyone on that staff knew about what was going on, they have to hammer them dont they?

SoonerShark
2/22/2008, 01:20 PM
Now if they would only overturn our losses to Oregon in 2006 and Texas Tech in 2005.

SoonerShark
2/22/2008, 01:28 PM

If I were a player I would go to Austin. They get paid in a way that does not require a fake job. I am sure this is not just UT actually, but years ago I was in a store in Texas and witnessed UT football players paying for their purchases with $100.00 bills. What an odd thing for a college kid to have in abundance. And Vince Young seemed to attend quite a few pro sporting events prior to him announcing he was leaving to turn pro. In the best possible scenario, as far as the NCAA is concerned, the players were counterfeiters.

shaun4411
2/22/2008, 01:39 PM
i guess osu fans are crying again?

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 01:48 PM
i guess osu fans are crying again?
yeah, but not because of this.:D

Crimson Kid
2/22/2008, 02:25 PM
the aggies texass and the cowpukes are all crying over this.

Texas fans should shut the heck up, weed U seems to never get in trouble for what they have done, but, they just seem to forgot about that.

SoonerinSouthlake
2/22/2008, 02:29 PM
although a key point from the NCAA was that we were so proactive in this case, usuc hasnt been so if there is proof that Carroll, Bush, or anyone on that staff knew about what was going on, they have to hammer them dont they?

This seems so obvious to me that they are doing this so they dont have to deal with the possiblity of having to have SUC vacate a National Champinship.

Collier11
2/22/2008, 02:39 PM
the aggies texass and the cowpukes are all crying over this.

Texas fans should shut the heck up, weed U seems to never get in trouble for what they have done, but, they just seem to forgot about that.

isnt it funny how a school with a drug and weapons problem isnt prone to violations but a school with 2 players taking small amounts of extra money is?

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 02:43 PM
This seems so obvious to me that they are doing this so they dont have to deal with the possiblity of having to have SUC vacate a National Champinship.
Not so fast, they cited OU's cooperation and actions to remidy the situation as mitigating factors. SUC has done nothing but play dumb.

Beef
2/22/2008, 03:16 PM
The NCAA doesn't award a national championship in Division 1A or Bowl division or whatever it's called, so there's no championship for them to make USC vacate.

SoonerinSouthlake
2/22/2008, 03:40 PM
The NCAA doesn't award a national championship in Division 1A or Bowl division or whatever it's called, so there's no championship for them to make USC vacate.

can they not make them vacate their Orange Bowl Victory (ipso facto vacation a Natl Title Win)

adoniijahsooner
2/22/2008, 03:59 PM
dude, they are just preparing everyone for letting usc off with no penalties. sheesh ;)

Its like finding out your favorite child was the ringleader in burning down the house and instead of the punishment you promised, all the children are given a stern lecture. I think all of college football know what is going on here. I would gladly trade our 8 meaningless wins, so that I could witness suc get there national championships and heismans snatched away.

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/22/2008, 04:15 PM
So when can I expect the bronze whale to be brought out of storage, dusted off, and proudly displayed in the Switzer Center?

http://ellenandrussell.com/images/football/holiday05_14.jpg

Texas Golfer
2/22/2008, 04:45 PM
Logic and justice prevails.

Scott D
2/22/2008, 04:57 PM
Not so fast, they cited OU's cooperation and actions to remidy the situation as mitigating factors. SUC has done nothing but play dumb.

psst...they aren't playing.

PLaw
2/22/2008, 07:18 PM
BOOMER!!

sendbaht
2/22/2008, 07:31 PM
Busy day at work today..come home to the best news of the day!

OU-HSV
2/22/2008, 07:36 PM
Good news

AlbqSooner
2/22/2008, 08:36 PM
It took forever, but at least common sense prevailed.
The Wheels of Justice grind slowly, but they grind so exceedingly fine.

Rogue
2/22/2008, 09:11 PM
It's good news, but sort of a win for the NCAA and a "meh" for us. What they have done, in effect, is remedied one of their dumbest moves - the "vacating" of an entire season. It was asinine to begin with and now they don't look so bad.

Leroy Lizard
2/22/2008, 09:11 PM
On Hornfans, they are suggesting that the NCAA does not apply appropriate punishments and that OU's light sentence shouldn't necessarily mean the infractions weren't severe. The elite programs, according to them, can always be counted on to get off scot free.

Of course, the same bunch then turn around and offer UT's light punishments for their past indiscretions as proof that nothing bad ever happened.

SleestakSooner
2/22/2008, 09:41 PM
OK this is really good news and seems like the right thing to do. But what penalty did OU end up getting for these infractions after this redaction?

KingDavid
2/22/2008, 09:54 PM

That's the message the NCAA is trying to send, if you ask me!

stoopified
2/22/2008, 10:07 PM
Out- F'ING standing! Now I can modify my sig back to its natural state.

Salt City Sooner
2/22/2008, 10:54 PM
OK this is really good news and seems like the right thing to do. But what penalty did OU end up getting for these infractions after this redaction?
Loss of 2 'ships for 3 years.

Doged
2/22/2008, 11:18 PM
Loss of 2 'ships for 3 years.

And probation extended, which could be important if OUr programs aren't kept squeaky clean.

SleestakSooner
2/22/2008, 11:38 PM
So basically, after this year things will be back to normal unless there is another infraction?

goingoneight
2/23/2008, 12:09 AM
Yes... normal. But I'm not sure how the NCAA ruling made Texas not suck and aggy shut up. Seems to me they've been the same since the initial ruling. :D

MamaMia
2/23/2008, 10:13 AM

Exactly; which is why we had to appeal. :P
dude, they are just preparing everyone for letting usc off with no penalties. sheesh ;)Exactly; which is why we won our appeal. :D

freshchris05
2/23/2008, 10:49 AM
Giving these wins back to stoops is like giving a horse Extenze...

SoonerShark
2/23/2008, 02:10 PM

SUC wasn't playing...they perfected it.

SoonerShark
2/23/2008, 02:12 PM
So basically, after this year things will be back to normal unless there is another infraction?

We will no longer need to play Texas short handed? Thank God. We had to make do with getting the top three players from Texas and not the entire top 5 list of players. Next year, we'll do better.

guzziguy
2/23/2008, 02:20 PM
Cool! We'll get to log 2-wins over the cowpukes and others in '08.

mfosterftw
2/25/2008, 01:09 PM
I think the timing WRT Kelvin's latest shenanigans was interesting. The NCAA originally used Kelvin's crap as fuel for their lack of institutional control (LOIC) charges WRT BR Sports, but when Kelvin left and pulled the same stunt at a squeaky clean school, it because obvious LOIC wasn't the issue, rouge operators were.

swardboy
2/25/2008, 01:15 PM
This thread is worthless without pics of rouge operators....:D

Breadburner
2/25/2008, 01:22 PM
Giving these wins back to stoops is like giving a horse Extenze...

Sometimes even a Horse needs a little help......:D

SoonerinSouthlake
2/25/2008, 06:42 PM
QUOTE: This thread is worthless without pics of rouge operators....

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/623/imagescal2r0g1tu1.jpg

Octavian
2/26/2008, 05:00 AM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9605/holidaydunkeq1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

CincySooner
2/26/2008, 12:58 PM
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9605/holidaydunkeq1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

that picture has me chuckling...

It looks like Dusty is ambushing Stoops while he's deciding what kind of scone he wants with his Starbucks.

Stoops: yeah I'll have a non-fat latte with... uhhh... how about a...

Dusty: SURPRISE!!! CHAMPIONSHIP!!!