PDA

View Full Version : OU Ends Streak, Takes ******

Jay C. Upchurch
2/22/2008, 12:06 AM
No, this isn't football, but it is noteworthy

No. 17 Oklahoma upsets in-state rival No. 3 Oklahoma State, 18-15

NORMAN - For the first time since 1995, the Oklahoma Sooners are ****** champs.

In front of the largest crowd to view a wrestling match in Norman this season (1,734), No. 17 Oklahoma upended the No. 3 Oklahoma State Cowboys at the Howard McCasland Field House by an 18-15 final. The upset snapped a streak of 19 straight victories by the Cowboys.

"This is not just another victory," head coach Jack Spates said. "It was against a great and historic program in Oklahoma State. I couldn't be prouder of the fight and the effort of our team."

The dual between the in-state rivals began at 184 pounds after Oklahoma State decided to draw instead of the traditional start at 125 pounds. The opening bout could not have started better for the Sooners, as No. 6 Joshua Weitzel put six on the board with a pin over Jack Jensen. The senior needed only the first period to record the fall at 2:18.

Two-time All-American Joel Flaggert, ranked ninth nationally, then posted a decision over Clayton Foster at 197 pounds. After dominating the first two periods and leading 7-2, the Choctaw, Okla., native scored two escapes in the third for a 9-6 final.

Oklahoma State bounced back after the two wins by Oklahoma seniors, as No. 8 Jared Rosholt won in an 8-3 decision over Nathan Fernandez at heavyweight. After a scoreless first, Rosholt recorded three takedowns in final two periods to take the victory and inching Oklahoma State back to within six, 9-3.

No. 17 Joey Fio continued his recent success with a 3-2 upset decision over No. 14 Tyler Shinn of OSU at 125 pounds. The true-freshman, who was named Big 12 Wrestler of the Week on Feb. 11, was tied with Shinn after two periods, 2-2. After choosing down, Fio managed an escape at 1:50 and held on for the 3-2 decision.

It was No. 1 Coleman Scott for the Cowboys who then took control of the 133 pound bout with a 7-2 decision over Oklahoma's Brian Shelton. Scott used two takedowns in the first to distance himself, narrowing the OU lead to 12-6.

Nathan Morgan, ranked third nationally, posted another Oklahoma State win at 141 pounds with a 5-4 decision over No. 16 Zack Bailey. After a tie to begin the third, Morgan recorded a takedown and an escape to post the victory.

No. 17 Will Rowe stopped OSU's momentum with a 7-2 decision over Ryan Freeman. The 149 pound match was close after two, with Rowe hanging on to a 3-2 advantage. The junior from Arlington, Texas, scored an escape, a takedown and a riding time point in the third to record the win, pushing the Sooner lead back to six, 15-9.

An important match at 157 pounds pitted Oklahoma's No. 17 Chad Terry against Neil Erisman. After a scoreless first, Terry scored an escape and a takedown in the second to go up 3-0. After Erisman chose the down position to begin the third, Terry rode him out without giving up an escape to win 4-0 with the help of a riding time point.

With the lead of 18-9, the Sooners simply needed to hang on to post the Big 12 upset over their arch-rival. No. 5 Jake Dieffenbach made the team score 18-12 after posting a victory at 165 pounds over senior Max Dean. The Cowboy recorded three takedowns and Dean was only able to manage escapes in the 7-3 loss. No bonus points were awarded with the decision, so Oklahoma State could only manage a tie in the match.

It would take a pin at 174 pounds for Oklahoma State to tie the Sooners at 18. An unfamiliar face was wrestling for OU because of year-long starter Jeff James out for the year due to injury. It was up to the junior Chris DeVilbiss with a 7-2 record on the year to be the hero for Oklahoma and fend off OSU.

DeVilbiss came through for the Sooners, keeping No. 8 Brandon Mason from recording the fall. Mason won 7-0, but the defeat was lost on the Oklahoma team, realizing the huge upset-win over the Oklahoma State Cowboys.

"This is a huge, huge win," Spates said. "All of the cheers, all of the hugs--I couldn't be prouder."

The Sooners will take their momentum into the postseason, as they will travel to Stillwater, Okla., on Saturday, March 8 for the Big 12 Championships.

FINAL SCORE:
OKLAHOMA STATE: 15
OKLAHOMA:18

125: No. 17 Joey Fio (OU) dec. No. 14 Tyler Shinn (OSU), 3-2
133: No. 1 Coleman Scott (OSU) dec. Brian Shelton (OU), 7-2
141: No. 3 Nathan Morgan (OSU) dec. No. 16 Zack Bailey (OU), 5-4
149: No. 17 Will Rowe (OU) dec. Ryan Freeman (OSU), 7-2
157: No. 17 Chad Terry (OU) dec. Neil Erisman (OSU), 4-0
165: No. 5 Jake Dieffenbach (OSU) dec. Max Dean (OU), 7-3
174: No. 8 Brandon Mason (OSU) dec. Chris DeVilbiss (OU), 7-0
184: No. 6 Joshua Weitzel (OU) fall Jack Jensen (OSU), 2:18
197: No. 9 Joel Flaggert (OU) dec. Clayton Foster (OSU), 9-6
HWT: No. 8 Jared Rosholt (OSU) dec. Nathan Fernandez (OU), 8-3

OU SID Report

tommieharris91
2/22/2008, 12:09 AM
I shall now go to the osu message boards and enjoy the fireworks.

Frozen Sooner
2/22/2008, 12:10 AM
Thank you for spelling "dual" in dual meet correctly.

Soonerus
2/22/2008, 12:12 AM
Great week to be a Sooner !!!

Crimsontothecore
2/22/2008, 12:14 AM
First win in bed-lam wrasslin in 13 years....so THIS is what it feels like to be an osu football fan.
What knashing of teeth there must be in stoolwater knowing those "gooners" just beat 'em at the only sport they have to brag about.

SleestakSooner
2/22/2008, 12:18 AM
Congrats Coach Spates. It's been a long time coming.

BOOMER!

Collier11
2/22/2008, 12:54 AM
THis is Frickin Awesome!!!

NYC Poke
2/22/2008, 12:58 AM
Who cares about wrasslin'?

tommieharris91
2/22/2008, 01:00 AM
I still really don't.

Collier11
2/22/2008, 01:02 AM
:D :D :D :D

Ardmore_Sooner
2/22/2008, 01:03 AM
I actually went, and was surprised by the fan support. Boomer Sooner!

soonerboy_odanorth
2/22/2008, 01:18 AM
I wuz lookin' up from my 2 hunnert and thirty secund review of our marviloso football 'crutin' class and saw somebody's done give us lots a stars.... you know ******, so I figured we must be livin' large in ye ol baskyball a-rena these days. Is those boys gonna do good by the foosball team this year an' whoop all them orangies, or what? Maybe it's them wrasslin' fellas....

(This message brought to you by Consolidated LoSuR Penis Envy, Inc.)

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2008, 08:15 AM
Cool

sooneron
2/22/2008, 08:20 AM
Great news! Congrats to the team!

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/22/2008, 08:54 AM

i do, among others. wrestling is a VERY hard sport. when i was in h.s., our football team took state twice and went to state the other year (kelly phelps was qb my jr. and sr. years). when the season was over, the f.b. players that went into wrestling were in worse overall shape than the wrestlers that had only been working out after school about 1 1/2 months. these are the football players that had been through 2 a days and been practicing all fall. they'd routinely get their butts kicked until they got into better shape.

i couldn't be more prOUd of OUr wrestlers. congrats to them.

MamaMia
2/22/2008, 09:01 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/little_devil_winks.gifI'm very happy for the OU wrestling team, and I must admit that I do feel a little giggly inside.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 09:12 AM
Thank you for spelling "dual" in dual meet correctly.

How else would you spell it?

You don't mean people spell it duel - do you? If so they must be morans! ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 09:14 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/OUmom/little_devil_winks.gifI'm very happy for the OU wrestling team, and I must admit that I do feel a little giggly inside.

A little? How about a lot.

As in the days of old and Dr. Death - Aggies Bite! (I almost got rushed by the aggie biter heavyweight when I screamed Aggies Bite real loud right after they introduced him - drunken stupors can be fun...I don't think I ever played in a wrestling pep band while sober...:)

Crimsontothecore
2/22/2008, 09:43 AM
I still don't. For you chokes it must feel like big brother just took that last cookie you were hiding.

sooner n houston
2/22/2008, 09:44 AM
I have always loved wrestling. I do admire the OSU tradition in the sport. As was mentioned above, you have never really been in shape unless you've been in wrestling shape. Congrats to the good guys! :D

Boomer.....
2/22/2008, 09:49 AM
I never watch wrasslin', but did catch the final two matches. It was great to see it happen.

RacerX
2/22/2008, 09:52 AM
And John Smith promptly through his team under the bus.

The_Red_Patriot
2/22/2008, 10:07 AM
Come on guys...we all know OSU is a football school now.............

Man this is soooooooooooooo awesome.

What do we hear all the time from OSU fan

1. "pshh,, OU fans are a bunch of trailer trash who didn't even go to school there."

2. "Our wrestling team is better than yours!"

Everytime an aggie drops that line I always ask how many matches they have seen or attended. The answer is always 0.

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 10:20 AM
Nice win, let's not get all aggie over it.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/22/2008, 11:02 AM
I actually went, and was surprised by the fan support. Boomer Sooner!You masochist! You would have had to pay me BIG, to go see (what was expected to be) another humiliating loss to aggy in wrestling. Whatever possessed you to attend?

The remainder of the year will tell what Spates has, or if that was just a one-time fluke, with aggy thinking like the Sooner football team does in their annual football bowl.

Schoonerbeer
2/22/2008, 11:33 AM
I just talked to a cowboy fan and he said they used mostly second team guys to give them some experience, it that true? I guess they need an excuse when they loose!

--------------------BOOMER SOONER---------------------------------

kingswitz
2/22/2008, 12:02 PM
Saw this posted on GP.com by a sooner. Made me chuckle. :D

ProdigalSoonerA.P. All-American
960 posts this site
Posted: Today 1:05 AM

RE: ****** Wrestling: FINAL: oU 18, OSU 15

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the about the equivalent of the 2001 ****** football game, but with only 100 people paying attention. Reply | Quote

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 01:41 PM
Is this medailion worthy?

:D

badger
2/22/2008, 01:57 PM
So, um, Badlem is a bad word and all, I know, and it's stupid and such, but can we please create a new way to refer to this matchup that is board friendly so it doesn't look like our experts like Upchurch are cursing or anything on threads?

...and, of course, so that the newbies that don't know what ENA stands for know what's going on. kplzthx

2/22/2008, 02:05 PM
I just talked to a cowboy fan and he said they used mostly second team guys to give them some experience, it that true? I guess they need an excuse when they loose!

--------------------BOOMER SOONER---------------------------------If it's true, it's good strategy on their part, prolly. They almost beat us in Norman, with backups, and beating aggy(for the first time in 13 yrs.) helps Coach Spates keep his job.

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 02:07 PM
So, um, Badlem is a bad word and all, I know, and it's stupid and such, but can we please create a new way to refer to this matchup that is board friendly so it doesn't look like our experts like Upchurch are cursing or anything on threads?

...and, of course, so that the newbies that don't know what ENA stands for know what's going on. kplzthx
Expert?

Maybe it just comes up OU v. OSU?

texashater#1
2/22/2008, 02:42 PM

Ok, first of all it's not "wrasslin" its wrestling. This is actual wrestling not the stuff you see on TV. Second of all anytime you beat the aggies its always special. Last but not least OSU did not use most of their second team, I was there. John Smith, or Froto as I like to call him, made a retarded move by starting Erisman instead of the guy who is ranked. That was the only second teamer out there.

SleestakSooner
2/22/2008, 02:46 PM

Ebony Ninja Assassin... next! ;)

Straz1999
2/22/2008, 06:25 PM
Look, its a nice win....and finally....I have been to some ****** disasters where you can't even look into the faces of OSPugh fans. Even up in Gallagher. I still believe that this team has done nothing but regress ever since Spates has taken over, and personally I sure hope this doesn't save his job. It's terrible the in-state recruits we lose to other schools, not just OSU. One being Johnny Thompson who was a lifelong sooner fan and wanted to wrestle there. Spates told him he didnt have a scholarship for him at that weight and Thompson went on to win 3 National Championships at OU while that 141 pounder we had (Nate Parker) would only be dismissed a year later.

Jason Powell having a great career at Nebraska is another that comes to mind. It's unbelievable how it happens year after year and he still is able to stick around.

2/22/2008, 09:06 PM
From a former asst. OU wrestling coach I know:

OSU has had problems all season long at 149, 157, and 184 pounds. They've never been able to come up with a quality starter at those weights. If Jake Deffienbach and 2xx NAIA champ hadn't transferred in from Lindonwood as a graduate student, they would really be hurting. John Smith didn't throw that dual, OU simple matched up well with them, they each won 5 weight classes, but the OU 184-pounder pinned the OSU wrestler, which was the difference. Some of John's recruits haven't panned out as planned. Similar thing led to the downfall of Jim Zalesky at Iowa. Thom Ortiz has made some major recruiting errors at ASU, which should ultimately lead to him being fired this year.

Jack Spates gets some decent kids, but OSU gets who they want most of the time on a national basis. That is getting ready to change. Tom Brands has Iowa back on track. Ohio State finally hired a good coach who is quickly turning that program around. Penn State built a new wrestling facility and has its best team in years. There is a lot of parity this year, and I think it will be that way for awhile. Last year both Iowa and OSU didn't take home a top 4 trophy from the NCAA tournament, which was the first time since 1973 that happened.

I'm hoping that Jack retires in the next year or two. With Stoops' Iowa connections I would expect someone with an Iowa background would be a leading candidate. There simply aren't any OU guys out there coaching in the college ranks anymore. Port always pushed them to get a degree in business or engineering if they were smart enough so they could make money and be able to donate to the university.

Spates has done one thing correctly. He got a new wrestling facility about 10 years ago. A former walkon wrestler under Stan Abel donated $500,000 last year to double the size of the facility. That will give them 4 full mats, plus excellent locker room space, weights, etc. Probably, Cornell will be the only school with a better training facility. Steve Friedman, who was the head of Goldman-Sachs (later Bush's economic advisor) donated several million to build one with 4 mats. Bleachers slide out over the other mats except for one in the middle for dual meets.

Whenever, he does retire, the facility is in place for the right coach to get the program back up to where it should be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SleestakSooner
2/22/2008, 09:21 PM
Look, its a nice win....and finally....I have been to some ****** disasters where you can't even look into the faces of OSPugh fans. Even up in Gallagher. I still believe that this team has done nothing but regress ever since Spates has taken over, and personally I sure hope this doesn't save his job. It's terrible the in-state recruits we lose to other schools, not just OSU. One being Johnny Thompson who was a lifelong sooner fan and wanted to wrestle there. Spates told him he didnt have a scholarship for him at that weight and Thompson went on to win 3 National Championships at OU while that 141 pounder we had (Nate Parker) would only be dismissed a year later.

Jason Powell having a great career at Nebraska is another that comes to mind. It's unbelievable how it happens year after year and he still is able to stick around.

Dare you to tell this to Spate's face... :pop:

Straz1999
2/23/2008, 12:21 AM
^ I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

stoopified
2/23/2008, 10:49 AM
Wrasslin'?

RacerX
2/23/2008, 02:41 PM

Post reported.

Shame on you for going around the profanity filter.

snp
2/23/2008, 03:09 PM
I'd still rather see wrestling cut in favor of soccer. No more ****** wrestling will hurt the osu program and soccer is way more popular anyways.

2/23/2008, 04:25 PM
I'd still rather see wrestling cut in favor of soccer. No more ****** wrestling will hurt the osu program and soccer is way more popular anyways.Soccer has never been very popular as a spectator sport in the USA. Wrestling certainly has been a good spectator sport at OU in the past, when we were always a contender, from the '50's through the mid '80's. Better we hire a top flight coach than ditch the program.

snp
2/23/2008, 05:46 PM
Soccer has never been very popular as a spectator sport in the USA. Wrestling certainly has been a good spectator sport at OU in the past, when we were always a contender, from the '50's through the mid '80's. Better we hire a top flight coach than ditch the program.

Soccer's popularity is growing and wrestling is declining. Wrestling was more popular in the past because more schools wrestled - since Title IX wrestling has been getting cut across the nation both at the HS and NCAA levels. While soccer hasn't exploded at the NCAA level, it has seen an increase in participation.

The top wrestling programs still outdraw the top soccer programs but there is better support through the middle programs with soccer. We drew an average of 639 with almost half of the total attendance coming from 1 meet. Neither sport is going to be generating revenue for the AD. I don't know if soccer will have better attendance than wrestling but I've met way more people who play soccer and follow it than wrestle.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/23/2008, 05:56 PM
They announced this at the ladies game today. I bet that really chapped the collective rears of the aggy faithful in attendance since it is their marquee sport and all.

Straz1999
2/23/2008, 06:28 PM
I'd still rather see wrestling cut in favor of soccer. No more ****** wrestling will hurt the osu program and soccer is way more popular anyways.

Are you out of your friggin' mind????????

2/23/2008, 06:48 PM
Soccer's popularity is growing and wrestling is declining. Wrestling was more popular in the past because more schools wrestled - since Title IX wrestling has been getting cut across the nation both at the HS and NCAA levels. While soccer hasn't exploded at the NCAA level, it has seen an increase in participation.

The top wrestling programs still outdraw the top soccer programs but there is better support through the middle programs with soccer. We drew an average of 639 with almost half of the total attendance coming from 1 meet. Neither sport is going to be generating revenue for the AD. I don't know if soccer will have better attendance than wrestling but I've met way more people who play soccer and follow it than wrestle.I like to watch GOOD wrestling. I don't like to watch ANY soccer.

snp
2/23/2008, 07:21 PM
I like to watch GOOD wrestling. I don't like to watch ANY soccer.

That's fine and that statement shows both of our biases in this arguement; I'd like to watch soccer over wrestling.

To each their own, but there's no denying soccer is on the rise while wrestling is slipping.

2/23/2008, 07:36 PM
That's fine and that statement shows both of our biases in this arguement; I'd like to watch soccer over wrestling.

To each their own, but there's no denying soccer is on the rise while wrestling is slipping.No doubt soccer is the most watched sport in most countries. But it never quite seems to get much traction in the USA. I think because, like hockey, there just isn't enough scoring. I can't explain exactly why I don't like soccer or hockey. Somehow, they are just boring to me.

Whet
2/23/2008, 08:17 PM
We used to go to the Tulsa games, when NASL was in existence. Usually, a good time to drink a lot of beer.

No, there was not a lot of scoring...... Just a lot of beer drinking!

Without a doubt, OU should keep it wrestling!

2/23/2008, 08:20 PM
To go from celebration over beating aggy in wrestling, to talking about dropping the sport of wrestling...huh?

snp
2/23/2008, 08:45 PM
To go from celebration over beating aggy in wrestling, to talking about dropping the sport of wrestling...huh?

Probably wasn't the right venue to express my views on the sport but there isn't a lot of wrestling threads to even have this discussion. So I'll drop it, sorry.

2/23/2008, 09:11 PM
Probably wasn't the right venue to express my views on the sport but there isn't a lot of wrestling threads to even have this discussion. So I'll drop it, sorry.On this message board, anything goes, it seems. (until one gets baned) Heck, this thread is in the football forum. I guess we could drop football...

Big Red Ron
2/23/2008, 10:14 PM
Soccer sucks, there I said it.