PDA

View Full Version : Official NFL Combine thread

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 11:53 PM
Since it is officially on its way I ll give out the information as I get. I am not attending due to me attending college this year but I ll get some information. I m sure SNP, Rhino, and a few others will have something to pass along too.

Today:

Joe Jon Finley officially measure in at 6'6 254. JJF needs to have improved in his explosiveness off the LOS..and not get so tall in his stance and narrow his base...

Brad Cottam from Tennesse came in at 6'7 1/2, 270..an absolute beast

Today was mostly press conferences from the different teams.Some notes:

Jets coach Eric Mangini talked about how Bill Callahan will bring cohesion to the offensive line this year as the new OL coach..

Matt Ryan was being buzzed around today as the top QB in the draft..which I still am not on board even though everybody is endorsing the guy..

They talked about how Chris Long would be the safest pick for the Dolphins with the 1 pick which I agree..Dorsey is a stud and can play a NT in a 3-4 but it takes away from his ability.

Coach Mike Nolan talked a little about his new offensive system this year for the Niners and how his QBs may take more hits...

Michigan OL Jake Long is still considered the top OL prospect in the draft..He talked a little about the skill of holding and not getting caught..he measured at 6'7 313..

Coach Lovie Smith talked about the release of M. Muhammed and actually praised former Sooner Mark Bradley and said he has the ability to step up and fill the void..also thinks Hester can develop into a number 1...said Rex Grossman is still the guy to beat....

OU-HSV
2/22/2008, 12:27 AM
I haven't watched nflnet lately. Is the combine this weekend already?? If so I've gotta change my plans of being lazy and channel surfing this weekend....to being lazy and glued to nflnet

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 12:31 AM
The main events kick up this weekend so stock up on your beer and stuff

OU-HSV
2/22/2008, 12:33 AM
Sweet. And there I was thinking I'd have a weekend in which I didn't p*ss my wife off :D
Guess there's always next weekend!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 12:34 AM
yeah my wife is already ticked at me because I m getting IMs and emails from a couple of guys attending and I m watching some on tv so she is not happy...I m taking up both the tv and the puter

OU-HSV
2/22/2008, 12:45 AM
yeah my wife is already ticked at me because I m getting IMs and emails from a couple of guys attending and I m watching some on tv so she is not happy...I m taking up both the tv and the puter
Ah, just make up for it on Valentines day...it's just right around the corner. ;)

OK2U
2/22/2008, 02:00 AM
ESPN reported Thursday that Kelly would not work out due to a lingering quad injury, which, according to the "experts" may hurt his draft status.

JLEW1818
2/22/2008, 02:17 AM
I hope the best for MK, but like all he did not need to enter as a junior. I guess this was just a really weak senior class for the draft as a whole?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 08:58 AM
No if he is not gonna work out it will not be good especially if his competition puts up a good showing. And if he goes ahead with the interview process, he probably will get chewed up and spit out for some of the games he sat out too.

Its a gifted group of WRs but a group that isnt filled with next level superstars. Some are a little short, some are way underweight, and Swead and Kelly are kinda the top dogs.

soonerfan28
2/22/2008, 11:05 AM
Malcolm will still go in the first round and the more he drops the better the team will be that he goes to. I would personally like to see him go to Dallas and I don't think they have a pick in the top 15, so please fall to them.

badger
2/22/2008, 11:10 AM
I heard MK isn't going to be at the combine. Where will he be? Is he all right?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 11:58 AM
He is probably there just not working out..

The Falcons won the the coin toss over the Raiders for the 3rd pick

Darren McFadden doesnt know if he will run or not..

Jake Long from Michigan gave up 2 sacks and had just 2 penalties called on him his entire career at Michigan..pretty impressive

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 12:17 PM
Martin Rucker from Mizzou wont be working out due to hamstring injury

Some are saying this is the best class of OTs they have seen in 20 years

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 01:48 PM
Colt Brennan whining because nobody gave him a chance after his arrest for burglary and he was misunderstood..I think everybody understood at the Senior Bowl that you arent so great..

Matt Ryan is not going to throw at the Combine but he will for the BC pro day..says he wants to throw to WRs he knows...So I hope whatever team picks him also picks BC Wrs so he ll throw to them

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 01:51 PM
Anyone else think that McFaddin is going to benifit massively by AD's success and then be the next Cedric Benson?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 02:00 PM
I m more interested in seeing what Felix Jones can do..good explosion...follows his blocks better than DM...bad thing for FJ is that he only had 20 runs this year that required more than 1 defender to bring him down..

as far as CB comparisons, he seems to hold on the ball as good as CB(15 fumbles for DM this year)

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 02:16 PM
Someone mentioned on this board before and I looked at a couple of arky games to see for myself butMcfaddin has little skinny chicken legs. He runs choppy and is in no way the next AD.

picasso
2/22/2008, 02:19 PM
6' 4.5" is easily 6'6" in cleats. it's the same system used in basketball.
most coaches measure a player bare foot, add an inch and round off.

just sayin.

Civicus_Sooner
2/22/2008, 02:28 PM

just sayin.
Which means Longar is really 6'10ish and Griffin is probably between 6'8-6'9.

silverwheels
2/22/2008, 02:48 PM
DeSean Jackson measured in at 5'9" 167 lbs. :eek:

That can't be good for him.

colleyvillesooner
2/22/2008, 04:48 PM
Today:

Joe Jon Finley officially measure in at 6'4 1/2, 243, a little smaller than his listed 6'6 260. JJF needs to have improved in his explosiveness off the LOS..and not get so tall in his stance and narrow his base...

I read this on insider, trying to get a link...

Joe John Finley/TE/Oklahoma

- Measured in at 6 foot 6 inches tall and 254 pounds.

- Will only do a partial workout because still has a sore hamstring

- Expects to run in the 4.6 range at the Oklahoma pro day.

colleyvillesooner
2/22/2008, 04:51 PM
Found it myself

http://www.football.com/nflexclusives/day_one-nfl_combine_by_the_numbers.html

Joe Jon Finley, TE, Oklahoma
6060, 254
Will only do the bench due to bad hamstring

Pretty damn close to his OU stats.

(6060 is 6'6")

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:17 PM
I m editing my first post..I emailed the guy that sent the me info from Indy and said he put in Jermichael Finley's info for Joe Jon..Sorry guys..more mistakes too come..

colleyvillesooner
2/22/2008, 05:20 PM
That site looks like it will have some pretty good info throughout the weekend

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:22 PM
DeSean Jackson measured in at 5'9" 167 lbs. :eek:

That can't be good for him.

Thats why I never bought into the hype when people were saying he was a top 15 pick. The heighth is 2 inches below what he was listed and 167 lbs is way too light..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:24 PM
As far as the runningbacks go Keep an eye on Jonathan Stewart from Oregon..The guy is in phenominal shape and a great runner

Collier11
2/22/2008, 05:25 PM
any buzz on AP? I know I was hearing 3-4th rd right after the season, is this at all realistic?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:36 PM
any buzz on AP? I know I was hearing 3-4th rd right after the season, is this at all realistic?

Playing the special teams really helps him because nobody thinks he can be "the guy" at runningback..I expect great numbers for AP at the combine and great numbers can raise a guy up pretty far(Chris Chester a couple of years ago).

He doesnt have the great field vision and misses a fair share of holes that are opened for him but he has speed, size, and is a physical blocker. I could see him as a ST and possibly a 3rd down type back

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:37 PM
Malcom Kelly 6'3 3/4 224
Sweed 6'3 7/8" 215
Doucet 6'0 1/8" 209

Unless Sweed shows out I just dont see anybody that can take the top spot from MK.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 05:40 PM

just sayin.

Well they must do it different at OU because their measurements are typically right on with the Combine measurements, which was what perplexed me with the JJF measurement which was a mistake. Obviously a lot of schools do what you said though.

badger
2/22/2008, 05:50 PM
Resisting urge to start new thread "MK's parents are actually mechanical engineers!"

From ESPN.com's combine blog:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks?tag=combine&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

* Most awkward moment of the day: A reporter rushed up to the podium to ask Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelly about his parents being mechanical engineers. Kelly gave him a strange look and said, "Well, my father was a mechanic."

The downtrodden reporter took his color-coded draft notebook and trudged back to his desk.

Kelly also provided another light moment when he was trying to say that something was a chess match.

"It's a dice game," said Kelly to a confused audience. "...I mean a chess match."

The receiver said he had room for improvement when it comes to getting in and out of breaks. He measured at 6-3 and 224 pounds. His body shape sort of reminds me of Saints receiver Robert Meachem. Kelly grew up a huge Cowboys fans and used to play in his front yard while wearing a Michael Irvin uniform. Now he looks up to former University of Texas receiver Roy Williams.

"He's the guy I most like to emulate," said Kelly.

Kelly has been working out with Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler to prepare for the combine.
:D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 06:05 PM
My favorite MK highlight

MK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9RiitZEHxA)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 06:26 PM
couple of little rumors floating around Indy:

Atlanta winning the coin toss could mean them taking Matt Ryan at the 3 and the Raiders taking McFadden at the 4...

One thing being passed around is Atlanta making a deal with Cleveland that would involve Brady Quinn...Not sure the Atlanta people are thinking clearly these days

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 06:32 PM
OU pro day will be March 11th..

Doucet says he's not working out either..MK may be in the clear unless Sweed is healed up from his wrist injury and shows out

Interesting note: The Dolphins were the first team to talk with MK..possibly a consideration if they shop the number 1..Rams have also spoke with him

Paul Smith measured in at 6'01.2 and 208..

OUmillenium
2/22/2008, 09:08 PM
Which means Longar is really 6'10ish and Griffin is probably between 6'8-6'9.

Basketball heights are almost always measured with shoes on. Wayman Tisdale was closer to 6'7" than 6'9" but was always listed as 6'9".

Mike Bell was about 6'4" but often listed at 6'7", much like Choo Kennedy.

OUmillenium
2/22/2008, 09:10 PM
Well they must do it different at OU because their measurements are typically right on with the Combine measurements, which was what perplexed me with the JJF measurement which was a mistake. Obviously a lot of schools do what you said though.

College basketball heights are often 2 inches over the bare foot height of the player.

Curly Bill
2/22/2008, 09:11 PM
Basketball heights are almost always measured with shoes on. Wayman Tisdale was closer to 6'7" than 6'9" but was always listed as 6'9".

Mike Bell was about 6'4" but often listed at 6'7", much like Choo Kennedy.

They do play in their shoes after all. ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/22/2008, 09:36 PM
couple of little rumors floating around Indy:

Atlanta winning the coin toss could mean them taking Matt Ryan at the 3 and the Raiders taking McFadden at the 4...

One thing being passed around is Atlanta making a deal with Cleveland that would involve Brady Quinn...Not sure the Atlanta people are thinking clearly these days

Would the Raiders really be in the market for Mcfadden after signing Fargas?

Rhino
2/23/2008, 12:10 AM
Would the Raiders really be in the market for Mcfadden after signing Fargas? The Raiders aren't the smartest in player moves. Or drafts. Or coaches.

RedstickSooner
2/23/2008, 01:28 AM
Coach Lovie Smith talked about .... and said Rex Grossman is still the guy to beat....

I love Lovie Smith. Dude is a trip, and clearly enjoys whatever it is he's on. Thank goodness the NFL doesn't drug test coaches. I mean, I guess what he says isn't *that* insane -- it isn't like they have any other QBs on the roster. So, in some sense, you could say that Rex is the guy to "beat".

Or, in some other sense, you could just say, "We don't really have any quarterbacks right now. We should probably draft one."

When your best QB is 70 years old, and named after what happens to your hair if you don't wash it for a week, it's probably time to move a few QBs up your draft board.

goingoneight
2/23/2008, 01:55 AM
Grossman is a "busdriver" type. It works fantastically well when your college team is the class of the SEC, but it doesn't work so well at the next level. He's another example of why NFL teams always struggle so mightily trying to find a good quarterback. They pass up true playmakers for Johnny All-Colleges with big arms when guys like Romo, Brady, etc. can clearly play the game. I really hope Paul Smith gets a solid deal, he reminds me a lot of those playmaker-types. He may not chuck it as far as JaMarcus Russell or Run like Vince Young, but he's just got a knack for playing the game and making things happen.

boomersooner28
2/23/2008, 02:31 AM
Johnathon Stewart is a frickin mass of muscle that can run. I saw a special on him and his body is a work of perfection. I think he is gonna be a helluva back in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 09:11 AM
Johnathon Stewart is a frickin mass of muscle that can run. I saw a special on him and his body is a work of perfection. I think he is gonna be a helluva back in the NFL.

5'10 235 was JS measurements..dude looks like an action figure.
Mendenhall from Illinois came in at 5'10 1'4 225...I really like this guy

Jake long kicked out 37 reps at 225..the most I have seen so far from any of the OL

Joe Flacco, the QB from Delaware(couple of ya liked this guy) came in at 6'6 7/8, 236..

Darren McFadden is sliding down in some eyes..Mike Mayock says that with first contact DM gets "dead legs" and wouldnt take him in the top 20

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 09:21 AM

What Rhino said..

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2008, 09:33 AM
That is true.

I still think he ends up a Jet, although I'd love to see him still there, and the Jets pass, just so I can watch all their fans there go ape****. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 09:38 AM
That is true.

I still think he ends up a Jet, although I'd love to see him still there, and the Jets pass, just so I can watch all their fans there go ape****. :D

Those crazy suckers..I don't miss dealing with those guys. I hope they are using metal detectors on them.

After they drafted Derrick Strait, I had sent one of them an autographed picture of DS as a truce after banning the guy from the board I was modding for being a typical Jets fan..At the beginning of the next season he sent it back with the words " Keep the f'r, we don't want him" written across the top of the pic..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 09:42 AM
Grossman is a "busdriver" type. It works fantastically well when your college team is the class of the SEC, but it doesn't work so well at the next level. He's another example of why NFL teams always struggle so mightily trying to find a good quarterback. They pass up true playmakers for Johnny All-Colleges with big arms when guys like Romo, Brady, etc. can clearly play the game. I really hope Paul Smith gets a solid deal, he reminds me a lot of those playmaker-types. He may not chuck it as far as JaMarcus Russell or Run like Vince Young, but he's just got a knack for playing the game and making things happen.

He, IMO, is a bigger Doug Flutie type..He's slower than the guy running after him, but he still gets away.. He doesnt have the arm strength to get the ball there, but somehow its catchable..I hope the guy does really well

Colt Brennan has put on 22 pounds since the Senior Bowl...That doesnt sound legal

badger
2/23/2008, 10:45 AM
Don't worry about Colt. He may get drafted, but there's no way he sees the field. People ignore Vince's throwing angle/motion/awkwardness because of his physicality, but Colt has none of that and a bad attitude on top of it.

Scott D
2/23/2008, 10:55 AM

Because odds are Lamont Jordan is gone by training camp. They may dump Rhodes as well. Fargas is injury prone, and Michael Bush is unproven (having only gotten clearance for practice with a couple of weeks left in last season from his broken leg the previous year.)

Since71ASooner4Life
2/23/2008, 11:31 AM
I still think Stewart might be the biggest impact RB in this draft

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 11:44 AM
Holy smokes..I just looked at nfl.com and Brandon Keith is the front page pic right now...ran a 5.23 40

got 31 reps

soonerinabilene
2/23/2008, 12:28 PM
Colt Brennan has put on 22 pounds since the Senior Bowl...That doesnt sound legal

Well, if hes been on the mainland he gets to have more than pineapple and spam 3 times a day.;)

Regarding Jonathan Stewart, I have heard many comparisons to Emmitt Smith.

OK2U
2/23/2008, 02:11 PM
Looks like JJF had the lowest TE bench reps at 12.
The other Finley had 20.

colleyvillesooner
2/23/2008, 02:23 PM
ouch

snp
2/23/2008, 02:47 PM
Here's a link with all the participants measureables

http://fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp?OrderBy=+ORDER+BY+LastNAme%2C+F irstName%2C+PosNameShort%2C+Team&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=99999999&GO=GO%21

And here's another link with online coverage for those that don't have NFL Network:
http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?campaign=ma_live0001&refcode=nfl-ed_0223LV

He had the flu leading up to the Senior Bowl and he blamed his weight loss on that. I lost 10 pounds when I had the flu a few weeks ago so I could easily see someone who is consuming thousands more calories per day losing twice that.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/23/2008, 03:54 PM
I bet the Raiders trade up to get Colt Brennan, just seems like something they would do

snp
2/23/2008, 05:17 PM
Vikings should trade up and draft McFadden to run the wishbone.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 06:01 PM
SNP

Whats your opinion on the Cottam kid from tennessee? 6'8 270 TE who ran a 4.68 had 33 vertical..Was hurt I think most of the season..Some think he could possibly play a tackle spot but I dont know that much about him

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2008, 06:18 PM
rumor

NYG- Gives Pick 31. Gets Deangelo Hall
CLE- Gives Brady Quinn. Gets Pick 31
ATL- Gives Denagelo Hall. Gets Brady Quinn

snp
2/23/2008, 07:03 PM
SNP

Whats your opinion on the Cottam kid from tennessee? 6'8 270 TE who ran a 4.68 had 33 vertical..Was hurt I think most of the season..Some think he could possibly play a tackle spot but I dont know that much about him

I guess no one has a good idea since he had such little production at UT. Great meseaureables and a class act. Needed a good combine and had a good one so far from what I've read.

I just missed the TEs running the gauntlet - did you catch it? I think he could really shoot up if he shows decent hands.

effay
2/23/2008, 07:38 PM
Dorsey is a stud and can play a NT in a 3-4 but it takes away from his ability.

It's just utterly ridiculous that anyone thinks Dorsey could play nose in the 3-4. He is nowhere near big/powerful enough.

effay
2/23/2008, 08:44 PM
I may be wrong, but I think his official weigh-in was 6014, 297. That's more like an end in the 3-4.

Collier11
2/23/2008, 09:43 PM
It's just utterly ridiculous that anyone thinks Dorsey could play nose in the 3-4. He is nowhere near big/powerful enough.

ya those NFL scouts and execs dont know much do they??? :rolleyes:

effay
2/23/2008, 11:49 PM
ya those NFL scouts and execs dont know much do they??? :rolleyes:

Scouts and Execs? Huh? Which ones? It sounds more like you are regurgitating the nonsense you have been hearing on Sportscenter.

Also, just take a look at the NTs on teams that are successful with the 3-4: Jamal Williams, Chargers, 6-3 348; Vince Wilfork, Patriots, 6-2 325; Casey Hampton, Steelers, 6-1 325 (I would guess that these weights are conservative as well).

There are other teams that run the 3-4 with a smaller NT and not-so-coincidentally they suck. A big, dominating NT is by far the largest stumbling block for teams trying to run the 3-4. Linebackers are everywhere and you can always find undersized DTs to put at the ends, but if you don't have a DT that draws a double on every play (which Dorsey, contrary to popular Sportscenter/I have only watched Dorsey's highlights which are 90% against Mississippi State, South Carolina and a true frosh at Auburn/I didn't watch Dorsey against Arkansas, Tennessee and Ohio State; teams that might actually send a lineman to the NFL fed opinion, DOES NOT; watch the tape) you are in deep trouble.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 12:04 AM
Scouts and Execs? Huh? Which ones? It sounds more like you are regurgitating the nonsense you have been hearing on Sportscenter.

Also, just take a look at the NTs on teams that are successful with the 3-4: Jamal Williams, Chargers, 6-3 348; Vince Wilfork, Patriots, 6-2 325; Casey Hampton, Steelers, 6-1 325 (I would guess that these weights are conservative as well).

Then you have a guy like Kelly Gregg who defies logic and actually does pretty well..The point I was getting at is that I do think its possible that he could play it but its not what he is good at...He is more T. Harris than The guys you mentioned(you didnt mention my favorite, T Washington)

effay
2/24/2008, 12:19 AM
Then you have a guy like Kelly Gregg who defies logic and actually does pretty well..The point I was getting at is that I do think its possible that he could play it but its not what he is good at...He is more T. Harris than The guys you mentioned(you didnt mention my favorite, T Washington)

Ya, I like Ted Washington too; I only left him off because he only started like 1 or 2 games last year. As for Gregg (who is still not as small as Dorsey), you can't ignore the fact that the Ravens massively overcompensate for him with the guys next to him. Dwan Edwards is 315 and Haloti Ngata (probably the largest DE ever) is 340.

tulsaoilerfan
2/24/2008, 01:35 AM

There are other teams that run the 3-4 with a smaller NT and not-so-coincidentally they suck. A big, dominating NT is by far the largest stumbling block for teams trying to run the 3-4. Linebackers are everywhere and you can always find undersized DTs to put at the ends, but if you don't have a DT that draws a double on every play (which Dorsey, contrary to popular Sportscenter/I have only watched Dorsey's highlights which are 90% against Mississippi State, South Carolina and a true frosh at Auburn/I didn't watch Dorsey against Arkansas, Tennessee and Ohio State; teams that might actually send a lineman to the NFL fed opinion, DOES NOT; watch the tape) you are in deep trouble.

Vince Wilfork at 325? His gut weighs that much; when he is in his stance it's almost touching the ground :D

PLaw
2/24/2008, 09:31 AM
Check out the DO today - AP, MK,and JJF will not run at the combine because they are still nursing late season injuries. A little suprised by the following statement in the article, "Kelly said he originally thought his injury was just a thigh bruise, but it turned out to be a mild strain and that he hasn't been getting proper treatment for the injury." I would hate to see a mis-diagnosis cost him some big bucks.

BOOMER

PLaw
2/24/2008, 09:49 AM
While it looks like Curtis made a good decision to enter the draft, Reggie probably should have stayed. Curtis enters the draft in a weak year for inside LB's, while Reggie decides to go in a very deep year for Corners. Check Scout.com's comments below:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
Cornerbacks

The class is ... fantastic. This might be the second deepest position in the draft behind receiver. Take your pick between Mike Jenkins, Aqib Talib,and Leodis McKelvin for the top corner spot, while Brandon Flowers, Tracy Porter, Antoine Cason, and sleeper Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie are just a few of the prospects would could become a No. 1 coverman.
Most overrated prospect: Leodis McKelvin, Troy - Everyone has fallen in love with his quickness and kick return ability, but he should be drafted around 30 to 40 instead of 10 to 20. His size, or lack of it, will eventually be an issue.
Most underrated prospect: Antoine Cason, Arizona - While he doesn't have the top-end speed and isn't going to be a lock-down coverman who can erase a star target, he'll be a strong long-time pro who could eventually move to safety if needed.

NFL Starters
1. Mike Jenkins, South Florida
2. Aqib Talib, Kansas
3. Leodis McKelvin, Troy
4. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
5. Tracy Porter, Indiana
6. Antoine Cason, Arizona
7. Patrick Lee, Auburn
8. Terrence Wheatley, Colorado
9. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

Reserves & Projects
10. Jack Ikegwuonu, Wisconsin
11. Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee
12. DeJuan Tribble, Boston College
13. Reggie Smith, Oklahoma
14. Trae Williams, South Florida
15. Jack Williams, Kent State
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Inside Linebackers

The class is ... mediocre to horrible. It only gets worse if Beau Bell and Philip Wheeler end up playing on the outside. Curtis Lofton is good, but hardly special at an NFL level. There are plenty of big hitters with more overachievers than sure-thing talents.
Most overrated prospect: J Leman, Illinois - A tackling machine who comes in right out of central casting for what a middle linebacker should look like, he's just not a good enough athlete to be anything more than average.
Most underrated prospect: Jerod Mayo, Tennessee - To borrow a basketball term, he's a baller. Yet another potential outside linebacker who is being projected for the inside out of need, he'll be drafted at least ten spots too low because of durability concerns.

NFL Starters
1. Curtis Lofton, Oklahoma
2. Jerod Mayo, Tennessee
3. Beau Bell, UNLV
4. Philip Wheeler, Georgia Tech
5. Spencer Larsen, Arizona

Reserves & Projects
6. Tavares Gooden, Miami
7. Vince Hall, Virginia Tech
8. J Leman, Illinois
9. JoLonn Dunbar, Boston College
10. Ben Moffitt, South Florida

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 09:56 AM
I didnt know about AP not running..That stinks for him..he measured in at 6' 198.

On that ILB list, I ve seen several with that top 5 mixed up in every order but CL is in everyone of them..

I ve heard that some teams still see RS as a safety playing corner and he is all over the place as well..I ve seen him in some top 5's but not much.

Running back 225 benches

Cory Boyd 25
Tashard Choice 20
Justin Forsett 26
Matt Forte 23
Mike Hart 23
Jacob Hester 23
Peyton Hillis 26
Felix Jones 8
Rashard Mendenhall 26
Xavier Omon 17
Ray Rice 23
Owen Schmitt 26
Steve Slaton 19
Jonathan Stewart 28

soonerfan28
2/24/2008, 11:05 AM
I think AP didnt run do to the injury he got in the Senior Bowl.

kelloggOUballa
2/24/2008, 02:17 PM
AP is running

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 02:30 PM
Mike Hart just ran a 4.67 40. WOW, that's slow.

kelloggOUballa
2/24/2008, 02:31 PM
Jammal Charles ran a 4.36

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 02:32 PM
Jammal Charles ran a 4.36But then there was a lot of conversation about "manufactured" speed because he's a track guy.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 02:33 PM
WOW 4.27 for McFaddin

Curly Bill
2/24/2008, 02:35 PM
WOW 4.27 for McFaddin

If legit...holy ****!

jkjsooner
2/24/2008, 02:35 PM
WOW 4.27 for McFaddin

I was a doubter but he sure proved his speed!

kelloggOUballa
2/24/2008, 02:47 PM
AP is running

My bad, nevermind

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 03:02 PM
AP didn't run

kelloggOUballa
2/24/2008, 03:06 PM
we let 4.7 and 4.75 Owen Schmitt burn us down the field

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 03:09 PM
Okie State's Savage 4.5.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 03:11 PM
Tashard Choice 4.52

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 03:36 PM
McFadden's official time is 4.33, still darn fast.

4.24 official by a guy named Chris something. Fastest time ever.

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 03:39 PM
McFadden has looked pretty crappy in these other drills.

tulsaoilerfan
2/24/2008, 03:47 PM
Mike Hart just ran a 4.67 40. WOW, that's slow.
Where's the Clarett fark when you need it?

Curly Bill
2/24/2008, 04:54 PM

:O :O :O

Collier11
2/24/2008, 05:03 PM
I cant believe that most of you havent figured out by now have useless of a stat the 40 time is other than for looks...Field speed and quickness are what matters

Curly Bill
2/24/2008, 05:16 PM
Field speed and quickness are what matters

Yeah well, I got that in spades. ;)

...but I won't agree the 40 time is totally useless. Is it over used, yes it is, but it's still not a bad indicator of athleticism and ability.

effay
2/24/2008, 05:16 PM
From Jamaal Charles' Combine Q & A with NFL.com (here (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jamaal-charles?id=925), click Q & A)

In college, what player hit you the hardest? Who was the recipient of your best hit?
Curtis Lofton was the player who hit me the hardest in college. A.J. Hawk of Ohio State was the recipient of my biggest hit.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 05:46 PM
McFadden's official time is 4.33, still darn fast.

4.24 official by a guy named Chris something. Fastest time ever.

Chris Johnson from East Carolina...I was told a few weeks ago by a writer to watch him run one of the fastest times at this years combine..But not the fastest time ever.

Ray Rice with a 4.44
Mendenhall with a 4.45
4.57 for Savage is not good..small guy needed better time
4.48 for Jon Stewart..28 reps at 225 pretty impressive..
4.47 for Felix Jones..8 reps at 225 not so good

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 05:55 PM
WR's

Bowman ran a 4.69..
big James Hardy ran a 4.47...See how he does in the drills but this moved him up

Limas Sweed with a 4.46...breathing down MKs neck if not ahead already

RacerX
2/24/2008, 06:08 PM

Doesn't matter how slow you are if no one is near you to make a tackle.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 06:10 PM
and the guys that are supposed to be running you down stop running and put their arms on their side

Mixer!
2/24/2008, 06:20 PM
heh. (http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=778062)

WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma St

This big wideout may fall as much as any prospect after a surprisingly poor overall performance. He ran a poor 4.69 40 and managed only 14 reps in the bench press. He needs to regroup at his pro day.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 06:23 PM
Not a good combine indeed...some thought he might have been a first rounder a month ago..not great Senior Bowl and combine definitely damaging

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 06:47 PM
WR's

Bowman ran a 4.69..
big James Hardy ran a 4.47...See how he does in the drills but this moved him up

Limas Sweed with a 4.46...breathing down MKs neck if not ahead alreadyAll I've seen has Sweed number 1 and MK at 4th best WR.

Zbird
2/24/2008, 07:17 PM
ORANGE SUCKS

This big wideout may fall as much as any prospect after a surprisingly poor overall performance. He ran a poor 4.69 40 and managed only 14 reps in the bench press. He needs to regroup at his pro day

TE Jermichael Finley, Texas
This young junior tight end checked in at 6-4 and 243 lbs. He ran a disappointing 4.82 time and managed only 20 reps, which will make his pro day at Texas critical to his final grade. He looked good in the vertical leap and receiving drills and has intriguing upside, but must run better for an early draft grade.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 07:31 PM
All I've seen has Sweed number 1 and MK at 4th best WR.

I ve seen it with Kelly, Sweed, and Hardy at 1...

Scouts like MK because he has size, speed, most say the best hands in the draft, and he's not afraid to go across the middle....But with Hardy's exceptional 40(expected over 4.5) and his size, he may have pushed himself into the number 1 spot..Sweed hands are not as good as Kelly's, is not as good in route running(and Kelly isnt the best), and concentration problems

effay
2/24/2008, 07:31 PM
Limas Sweed with a 4.46...breathing down MKs neck if not ahead already

Rudolph Julie-Annie:
Sit around and do nothing for months while your opponent basks in the limelight.

John McCain:
Bust your *** scrounging for every vote.

Result:
Utter disaster for Julie-Annie; amazing comeback for McCain.

Malcolm Kelly:
Sit around and do nothing for months while your opponent basks in the limelight and questions about your weaknesses linger and perhaps even compound.

Limas Sweed:
Bust your *** and eliminate your greatest perceived weaknesses.

Result:

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 07:33 PM
Rudolph Julie-Annie:
Sit around and do nothing for months while your opponent basks in the limelight.

John McCain:
Bust your *** scrounging for every vote.

Result:
Utter disaster for Julie-Annie; amazing comeback for McCain

Malcolm Kelly:
Sit around and do nothing for months while your opponent basks in the limelight and questions about your weaknesses linger and perhaps even compound.

Limas Sweed:
Bust your *** and eliminate your greatest perceived weaknesses.

Result:

Out of sight, out of mind

effay
2/24/2008, 07:36 PM
This big wideout may fall as much as any prospect after a surprisingly poor overall performance. He ran a poor 4.69 40 and managed only 14 reps in the bench press. He needs to regroup at his pro day

Every pundit who had Bowman as a 1st round prospect this season (which is to say, many if not most) should retire. I have been continually amazed all season by how many people have fallen for Bowman. This result was visible from a mile away.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 07:41 PM
Every pundit who had Bowman as a 1st round prospect this season (which is to say, many if not most) should retire. I have been continually amazed all season by how many people have fallen for Bowman. This result was visible from a mile away.

His hands I thought would be his downfall but he hurt himself before he even got to pass catching....

effay
2/24/2008, 07:46 PM
His hands I thought would be his downfall but he hurt himself before he even got to pass catching....

Spot on! Seriously, I thought I was the only one who noticed that he probably led the NCAA in drops this year. The guy looks like TO trying to catch a dump-off out there and he has the worst body catching habit I have ever seen. I wouldn't take him in the 1st Round if he ran a 4.5.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 07:53 PM
Spot on! Seriously, I thought I was the only one who noticed that he probably led the NCAA in drops this year. The guy looks like TO out there and he has the worst body catching habit I have ever seen. I wouldn't have taken him in the 1st Round if he ran a 4.5.

108 passes thrown his way this season...67 catches, 11 passes tipped away, so that leaves about 30 passes.Not saying he dropped taht many but he struggled in concentration on a lot of them.he had lasik done before his senior year but his eyes werent the problem

OU-HSV
2/24/2008, 08:10 PM
I just heard them say on NFL Net. There's a WR from Appalachian State that ran a 4.27. Wow, that effin fast.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2008, 08:12 PM
Dexter Jackson...

OU-HSV
2/24/2008, 08:18 PM
And w/out my lazy arse having to see if it's posted. Who was the RB that had a 4.24 time? I thought I heard them say East Carolina?

Big Red Ron
2/24/2008, 08:33 PM
And w/out my lazy arse having to see if it's posted. Who was the RB that had a 4.24 time? I thought I heard them say East Carolina?
Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 official. The fastest 40 ever.

OU-HSV
2/24/2008, 08:34 PM
:pop:
Why thank you. :)

Rhino
2/25/2008, 01:49 AM
Looks like JJF had the lowest TE bench reps at 12. I heard he lifted 25, but had 13 of them taken away for his butt coming off the bench. Thus, the 12.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 09:44 AM
I heard he lifted 25, but had 13 of them taken away for his butt coming off the bench. Thus, the 12.

bench is ran ridiculous..They do that with one guy like JJF and another guy they will count reps that arent full reps..I cant remember who the guy was but last year I remember the spotter counting out reps and he says "24" and the Steelers representative shouts " Im still waiting for him to do 1!"

Curly Bill
2/25/2008, 09:56 AM
bench is ran ridiculous..They do that with one guy like JJF and another guy they will count reps that arent full reps..I cant remember who the guy was but last year I remember the spotter counting out reps and he says "24" and the Steelers representative shouts " Im still waiting for him to do 1!"

heh

Blitzkrieg
2/25/2008, 09:57 AM
Aggies think "Combines" are for something completely different.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 11:24 AM
Heard Lofton got 23 reps..Word is that the Patriots are interested since losing out on Z Thomas..measured in at 5'11 7/8 and 238 is what I received..not sure how official that is

I m not getting to watch but I ve heard they have Reggie grouped with safeties..6'1 198 for Reggie

5'10 198 for Marcus Walker
5'10 200 for DJ

OK2U
2/25/2008, 01:22 PM
Lofton's first 40 time was 4.77

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 01:54 PM
whoa...

Mjcpr
2/25/2008, 01:55 PM
He's almost as fast as some of the DL who ran.

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 02:06 PM
whoa...

So that's not that good?

When will he run again?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 02:15 PM
So that's not that good?

When will he run again?

Well after looking at all the others, its not that bad..last season it would have cost him big time but this may be one of the slowest groups of LBs I ve seen.

Some of his top competition

Tavares Gooden 4.64
Spencer Larsen 4.90
Jerard Mayo 4.56
Jordon Dizon 4.70
Woodyard from Kentucky just ran a 4.49 but he is a OLB

should be running again soon

Rhino
2/25/2008, 03:52 PM
he had lasik done before his senior year but his eyes werent the problem I guess he had lasik done again recently:

Wide receiver Adarius Bowman of Oklahoma State didn't do all of the physical tests at the combine because he had Lasik surgery too close to the event. Now, if you were about to go through the biggest job interview of your life, wouldn't you plan your elective surgery so that you wouldn't miss the interview? (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/02/24/combine/2.html)

Civicus_Sooner
2/25/2008, 04:34 PM
Lofton's first 40 time was 4.77Looks like he'd give Mike Hart a run for his money.

bosworthsteroidmafia
2/25/2008, 04:40 PM
Chris Johnson ran a 4.24 official. The fastest 40 ever.

That's what I thought, too, until somebody corrected me. Apparently some guy named Bo Jackson ran it in 4.12.

bosworthsteroidmafia
2/25/2008, 04:50 PM
After further investigation, I found out that Bo holds the fastest time ever (4.12) taken at the Super Dome in NO in 1986. Chris Johnson's 4.24 ties him with Rondel Melendez for the fastest time at a Combine in Indy. 4.24 is also the fastest time since electronic timing was implemented in 1999.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7830024/Bo-knows-40-yard-dash-at-combine

Desert Sapper
2/25/2008, 05:04 PM
The 40 is such a great indicator of football skill.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 05:23 PM
The 40 is such a great indicator of football skill.

It all has to do with the relative risk of drafting a certain player and it helps make decisions on how to play the guy on the field..Obviously it doesnt mean a guy cant play or can(Mike Mamula), but it does help with the educated guessing game called the draft.

The KEI(Kerwin Explosiveness Index) is more important....It is equal to the sum of the 225 bench reps, the vertical jump and the broad jump numbers. Add the 3 figures up and you get the KEI.

You want a score better than 70..So you take someone Like Gholstson from Maryland who scored a 82.8 and it equals to a lot more money for Gholston

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 05:30 PM
I guess he had lasik done again recently:

Now thats odd...He had it done originally in April of 07

effay
2/25/2008, 06:10 PM
Heard Lofton got 23 reps..Word is that the Patriots are interested since losing out on Z Thomas..measured in at 5'11 7/8 and 238 is what I received..not sure how official that is

I've seen 6000 246 and 4.77. I can decide if it's bad he left, since he obviously wasn't prepared for the 40 (can't even run down Mike Hart!!!) or good, since this is probably the only draft that a MLB could run a 4.77 and still go early.

effay
2/25/2008, 06:11 PM
Dan Connor @ 231?!?! Always knew he was a poser at MLB.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 07:27 PM
6' 246 is right for CL.....When I first saw the time I thought it would be a big disaster but he's right in the middle of the pack

OU-HSV
2/25/2008, 08:55 PM
Wow, good thing it's supposedly a slower MLB combine this year. 4.77 isn't awful and CL has shown what he can do at a big time D-1 level. So he'll be okay. I mean, everyone knows the guy can play football. He's got the football smarts and the athletic ability IMO to play in the NFL for many years if he can stay healthy.

So did Reggie workout today or is it tomorrow?

colleyvillesooner
2/25/2008, 09:09 PM
workout for Reggie is tommorrow.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 09:10 PM
Marcus and DJ as well

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2008, 09:17 PM
Wow, good thing it's supposedly a slower MLB combine this year. 4.77 isn't awful and CL has shown what he can do at a big time D-1 level. So he'll be okay. I mean, everyone knows the guy can play football. He's got the football smarts and the athletic ability IMO to play in the NFL for many years if he can stay healthy.

So did Reggie workout today or is it tomorrow?

To me nothing has changed with his run as far as his picking spot..This combine has just been odd.. Some of the fastest times and slowest times I ve seen..

OU-HSV
2/25/2008, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys. I may dvr tomorrow's workouts to see what OUr db's end up doing

effay
2/26/2008, 12:14 AM
I keep seeing that MWalk weighed in at 198 and DJ at 200?!?! Did DJ have the flu and Marcus go on Weight Gain 5000 leading up to the Combine or something? I can't believe that DJ is only 2lbs heavier than Marcus. Maybe DJ is trying to come in lean to run a good time, but why does Marcus think he needs to be 198 at 5-10? C'mon people, let's over analyze.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 09:25 AM
Curtis Lofton said he spoke to Tommie Harris, Teddy Lehman, Brodney Pool, and Rufus Alexander about leaving early..The only one to tell him to return for his senior year was Teddy Lehman...And he said only one coach told him to come back for his senior season but didnt say which one

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 09:33 AM
I keep seeing that MWalk weighed in at 198 and DJ at 200?!?! Did DJ have the flu and Marcus go on Weight Gain 5000 leading up to the Combine or something? I can't believe that DJ is only 2lbs heavier than Marcus. Maybe DJ is trying to come in lean to run a good time, but why does Marcus think he needs to be 198 at 5-10? C'mon people, let's over analyze.

I think you've already got that covered.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 10:10 AM
They discussed the origins of the 40 yard dash on the NFL Network. Rich Eisen said the 40-yard dash came about because Paul Brown wanted fast guys on special teams to cover punts. So in order to test a player’s speed, Brown decided that 40 yards would be a good measuring stick and the 40-yard dash was born.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 10:54 AM
Skip Bayless said Darren McFadden is way past Adrian Peterson's league...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:02 AM
13 reps in the bench for Reggie..Talib with 10

NormanPride
2/26/2008, 11:02 AM
In which direction?

EDIT: That was to the Skip comment, btw.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:04 AM
In which direction?

EDIT: That was to the Skip comment, btw.

Skip is says DMAC is gonna be a way better NFLer than AD...Of course he s like Dick Vitale in my eyes..pure entertainment and really annoying

NormanPride
2/26/2008, 11:08 AM
Skip is says DMAC is gonna be a way better NFLer than AD...Of course he s like Dick Vitale in my eyes..pure entertainment and really annoying

At least Dick is just color commentary most of the time. Skip is an "expert". I think he also claims to be an OU fan. Whatever.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:23 AM
Wow..another sub 4.3 time with Branch from UConn getting a 4.29..lots of fast times so far in the DBs..Reggie better have a good run

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:32 AM
I m assuming that Lofton did not do either jumps...But I did hear he made an impressive catch in one of the drills yesterday...

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:32 AM
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie just ran am unofficial 4.28

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:34 AM
I m assuming that Lofton did not do either jumps...But I did here he made an impressive catch in one of the drills yesterday...

Yep he did I saw it online, they commented "nice catch, nice catch."

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:35 AM
Wow...Lots of teams are really high on DRC..I havent heard is Marcus and DJ running?

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:36 AM
Talib runs unofficial 4.48

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:37 AM
Wow...Lots of teams are really high on DRC..I havent heard is Marcus and DJ running?

If they are they will run in about 1 min. Didn't see Smith in the alphabetical order is he running there?

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:41 AM
unbelievable. Walker ran and he's the first one in 20 guys I watch that they don't show his time

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:42 AM
If they are they will run in about 1 min. Didn't see Smith in the alphabetical order is he running there?

I assume not due to the toe injury.. will run on March 11

Just got a text saying DRC is now a 1st rounder

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:43 AM
3 more, then DJ

if anyone wants to watch...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/live?campaign=ma_live0001&refcode=nfl-ed_0223LV

40 yard dash cam

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 11:47 AM
DJ runs an unofficial 4.65

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 11:48 AM
DJ DJ DJ....crap!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:00 PM
DRC runs a 4.34 on 2nd attempt..

I didnt post it but the 4.77 Lofton posted was his fastest time..is other attempt was in the 4.8s

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:00 PM
Talib runs again with 4.47 unofficial

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Unofficial Top 10 DB 40-yard dashes
1. DRC 4.28
2. Tyvon Branch 4.29
3. Justin King 4.31
4. Josh Barrett 4. 33
5. Orlando Scandrick 4.33
6. Quintin Demps 4.37
7. Michael Grant 4.39
8. Mike Jenkins 4.40
9. Leodis McKelvin 4.40
10. Tyrell Johnson 4.43

Mjcpr
2/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Maybe this is our problem in the BCS bowls.......we're slow.

;)

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:04 PM
4.59 for Walkers second

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:05 PM
unbelievable. Walker ran and he's the first one in 20 guys I watch that they don't show his time

So you saw him run but they didnt give his time? I m arguing with a couple of people up there trying to get his time but they dont have it

EDIT: I still dont have the first attempt...And that is incredibly slow for him....

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:09 PM
So you saw him run but they didnt give his time? I m arguing with a couple of people up there trying to get his time but they dont have it

EDIT: I still dont have the first attempt...And that is incredibly slow for him....

Yeah I watched him run, and he walks away like the others, but they never flashed up his time.

Civicus_Sooner
2/26/2008, 12:10 PM
Reggie ran a 4.47 and a 4.64. Bleh

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:11 PM
Wolfe's second unofficial is 4.64

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:12 PM
Reggie ran a 4.47 and a 4.64. Bleh

When did he run? I've been watching for 30 min and never saw him...

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:13 PM
Yeah I watched him run, and he walks away like the others, but they never flashed up his time.

And this is the reason I hate not going..The NFL Network coverage is just terrible in my eyes...I m getting emails and text messaging but I m having to work my butt of just to get what little info I m getting..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:14 PM
Wolfe's second unofficial is 4.64

Did you get that from a website?

Civicus_Sooner
2/26/2008, 12:15 PM
When did he run? I've been watching for 30 min and never saw him...I just looked it up. maybe that's unofficial.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/nflcombineprofile.php?pyid=57258

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 12:16 PM
where?

This link shows he didn't run, which I'm almost certain he didn't

http://fflivewire.com/players/PlayersCombine.asp?OrderBy=+ORDER+BY+LastNAme%2C+F irstName%2C+PosNameShort%2C+Team&PlayerName=&pTeamID=99999999&PosNum=10&GO=GO%21

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:16 PM
Marcus Griffin from texas with a dazzling 4.76

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:17 PM
where?

Thats sounds like nfldraftscout posting

EDIT: IT IS!

Civicus_Sooner
2/26/2008, 12:18 PM
Marcus Griffin from texas with a dazzling 4.76http://www.seomoz.org/images/upload/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:19 PM
Wilrey Fontenot 4.29

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 12:20 PM
Jonathan Zenon: 4.57. Last 40-yard dash in the history of the RCA Dome.

soonerfan28
2/26/2008, 01:23 PM
Josh Barrett(ASU) looks like a beast. 6'1 223, 4.35 40. Only had 17 reps on the bench.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2008, 04:26 PM
Barrett has done himself a great deal of good..This is a weak safety class and he did enough to stand out..

What about Tyrell Johnson with the 4.43 and 27 reps at 225...

DRC with the fast time and a 38.5 vertical

effay
2/26/2008, 05:35 PM
I always thought Wheatley looked like a speed demon on the field. Good run by him.

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 05:36 PM
DRC was first in every category. Dude may go top 10 if the pats choose to go corner.

Big Red Ron
2/26/2008, 05:55 PM
DRC was first in every category. Dude may go top 10 if the pats choose to go corner.Who's DRC?

colleyvillesooner
2/26/2008, 05:57 PM
Who's DRC?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/dominique-rodgers-cromartie?id=306

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie out of 1-AA Tennessee state.

Was 1st in every category unitl the official 40's came out and his moved back to 4.33 from 4.28

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2008, 09:16 AM
Jaguars trade their 6th round pick to Minnesota for Troy Williamson..Vikings with a good opportunity here.

Desert Sapper
2/27/2008, 11:35 AM
Although Marcus didn't show out in the 40, he was among the top performers in the vertical (35.5), 3-cone (6.8), and 60-yard shuttle (11.43). He was the top performer in the 20 yard shuttle (4.07).

TUSooner
2/27/2008, 02:26 PM
I;'m too lazy to scour the whoel thread.
Is there any commentary about Matt Forte of Tulane?
I saw that he ran a 4.46 in the 40 and did well in the 20-yard and 60-yard somethings.
TIA

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2008, 05:39 PM
Forte suprised with a good 40 at 4.46....looked good in all the drills ...23 reps at 225..looked very strong...good vertical and did do good in the shuttles...excellent combine

Forte had the 7th best 40, 4th best 3 cone, 6th best 20 shuttle, and top 60...I dont think too many did the 60

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2008, 05:45 PM
Although Marcus didn't show out in the 40, he was among the top performers in the vertical (35.5), 3-cone (6.8), and 60-yard shuttle (11.43). He was the top performer in the 20 yard shuttle (4.07).

I m sure Marcus will run again on March 11 and improve on his time..He s got a lot of athletic ability, and was considered to be the best athlete at corner during the Senior Bowl...Marcus had the 7th best vertical, 3rd best 3 cone, 1 in the 20 yard shuttle, and the 4th best 60

Desert Sapper
2/28/2008, 06:41 AM
Are NFL Scouts weighting the 40 more than they did in the past?

I always thought they looked at the total player?

starrca23
2/28/2008, 08:52 AM
Funny take on the combine by espn.com page 2 writer, be sure to look at number 5 on his list...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080227&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2008, 11:17 AM
Are NFL Scouts weighting the 40 more than they did in the past?

I always thought they looked at the total player?

A lot of them put too much emphasis on it IMO, and the KEI is now gaining ground as far as importance.. Its a measuring tool and I think Mike Mamula should have taught them something..

The 40 time is one way of gaining information on the player your gonna invest in. If a guy runs a slow 40, it has to put a red flag up. It doesnt mean the guy cant play, but coaches and coordinators have to take it into consideration. You do have to consider what has caused the player to run the time..Some guys just don't have the technique down. Kevin Jones ran a borderline 4.7 40 at the combine after winning the 100m conference championship. To me personally, the 100m is a better way to judge speed than the 40..

mxATVracer10
2/29/2008, 12:47 PM
Funny take on the combine by espn.com page 2 writer, be sure to look at number 5 on his list...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/080227&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos1

Greatest one....:texan:

22. Andre Caldwell, WR, Florida: Caldwell, younger brother of Redskins receiver Reche Caldwell, impressed scouts with his vision and alertness.
http://thesportshernia.typepad.com/blog/images/reche_caldwell_insane_1_1.jpg

starrca23
2/29/2008, 03:26 PM
Did anyone read no. 29 about Fagg and Brady Quinn?

colleyvillesooner
2/29/2008, 03:28 PM
yes

goingoneight
2/29/2008, 10:11 PM
Did anyone read no. 29 about Fagg and Brady Quinn?

Just did... :D

29. De'Cody Fagg, WR, Florida State: Fagg suffered a serious knee injury at the combine while running a "tap-tap" drill that requires receivers to get both feet inbounds on sideline catches. Onlookers say Fagg may have been distracted by Brady Quinn taunting him from the stands.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/1/2008, 10:04 AM
Yeah..The Florida St WR may have had his football career ended with said injury...one scout said its the worst he s ever seen

effay
3/2/2008, 09:25 PM
Don't know where to post this, but it needs to be posted:

"The Pats plan to host former Bills corner Jason Webster next week, but he’s merely a complementary part, not a No. 1 corner. At best, he’s Gay." -Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1076996&srvc=pats&position=3)

goingoneight
3/2/2008, 11:28 PM
Good for them, cuz the Saints stole that Gay corner away from them.

illinisooner
3/2/2008, 11:47 PM
I'm not a big Gay guy.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/3/2008, 04:23 AM
It is kind of fun to ACTUALLY have players at the combine. Remember 10 years ago when these would have been really boring for a Sooner fan.

goingoneight
3/3/2008, 11:03 PM
That never happened for most of the message boarders... they live in a world where being the winningest team of the 2000's, winning conference titles, Heisman finalists and winners, beating Texas by record margins and a National Championship for the decade aren't enough. FIRE BRENT VENABLES NAO!!!
... okay... I'm done now.

Curly Bill
3/4/2008, 03:04 PM
That never happened for most of the message boarders... they live in a world where being the winningest team of the 2000's, winning conference titles, Heisman finalists and winners, beating Texas by record margins and a National Championship for the decade aren't enough. FIRE BRENT VENABLES NAO!!!
... okay... I'm done now.

Yeah, but without Venables think of how much better we could be. :D

Collier11
3/4/2008, 03:07 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

This is an updated Mock Draft from one of the more reputable ones out there

They have MK going 12 to Buff
Reggie 41 to Buff
And CL now down to the 3rd rd at 68

Civicus_Sooner
3/4/2008, 05:56 PM
http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

This is an updated Mock Draft from one of the more reputable ones out there

They have MK going 12 to Buff
Reggie 41 to Buff
And CL now down to the 3rd rd at 68
Atlanta Falcons: Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma
This is one of the greatest steals in this mock. Like Dre Moore, Curtis Lofton is an early-second round prospect, who falls because the teams in the bottom of the second don't really need a middle linebacker (New England does, but Bill Belichick doesn't draft linebackers early). With Keith Brooking moving to the weak side, Lofton could start from Day 1 in Atlanta's defense.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/4/2008, 09:39 PM
This may be the most important Pro day team wise OU has had in a while on March 11. Pretty much I think everybody has something at stake in this one

Big Red Ron
3/4/2008, 09:46 PM
This may be the most important Pro day team wise OU has had in a while on March 11. Pretty much I think everybody has something at stake in this oneWho do you think has the best chance to earn their way into the draft that isn't one of those three guys?

Collier11
3/5/2008, 12:06 AM
Marcus Walker IMO

stoops the eternal pimp
3/5/2008, 12:47 AM
Who do you think has the best chance to earn their way into the draft that isn't one of those three guys?

I responded on my work computer but I guess it didnt go through so I ll answer it again...

Marcus Walker has the most to gain....if he can run a good time, that will solidify him IMO to a late round pick...

AP has a decent chance...He was passed up by some other backs that did well in the combine but his special teams play adds value..

JJF is a guy that I believe will be a UDFA but who knows..This TE class drops fast after the top 4 and could be a pick up...