PDA

View Full Version : We have a $6 Million coach

boomersooner28
2/21/2008, 07:05 PM
Link (http://newsok.com/article/3207001/1203617499)

walkoffsooner
2/21/2008, 07:08 PM
Stands are full, on tv. bcs bowls, nc, he has met all my requests

canes4ever
2/21/2008, 07:21 PM
Link (http://newsok.com/article/3207001/1203617499)

You left out.....with the reputation that he can't win the big game.

Big Red Ron
2/21/2008, 07:37 PM
You left out.....with the reputation that he can't win the big game.Sure, we won a Championship game last year and you? And the national media calls him Big Game Bob for nuthin, right?

Wake me up when Miami doesn't suck anymore.

Whet
2/21/2008, 07:37 PM
If you look at it as delayed compensation, then it is only $300K/year. Not that much for the benefits OU received.....

47straight
2/21/2008, 07:42 PM

I mean, 5 Big 12 Championships and a MNC are nothing to winning the big recruiting games at local high schools.

snp
2/21/2008, 07:43 PM

You left out something too...51-13

Sabanball
2/21/2008, 07:52 PM
You guys got a basement bargain in Bob, if you ask me. $6mil is a very insignificant amount of money when compared to what your athletic dept brings in on a yearly basis now, mainly a result of the turnaround that started back in '99 with your football program. Bringing him in has paid an untold amount of dividends...

bri
2/21/2008, 07:53 PM
Well yeah, but that was hardly a big game. I mean, have you seen Miami lately? They'd have to go to double overtime to beat Open Week.

Sabanball
2/21/2008, 07:58 PM
Well yeah, but that was hardly a big game. I mean, have you seen Miami lately? They'd have to go to double overtime to beat Open Week.

It was to those of us who had to endure three tough losses to them in the mid 80's, especially the ones in '86 and '87--they were the only thing between OU winning three straight NC's...

bri
2/21/2008, 08:14 PM
Wait, did a guy posting on Soonerfans with a handle taken from the coach of LSU in the '04 Sugar Bowl and a Bammer avvie just subtly call me a bandwagoner? No wonder you're such a lovely shade of red.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/21/2008, 08:51 PM
It was to those of us who had to endure three tough losses to them in the mid 80's, especially the ones in '86 and '87--they were the only thing between OU winning three straight NC's...I was VERY happy to beat the Canes this yr in Norman. I remember the '80's OU football almost as well as I don't remember the '90's.

snp
2/21/2008, 08:52 PM

They weren't a big game as far as title implications go but that was probably the best gameday I've had in my college career. I just don't take kindly to teams with -38 on the scoreboard trying to snipe.

PLaw
2/21/2008, 09:34 PM
and worth every red cent.

BOOMER

JLEW1818
2/21/2008, 10:27 PM
1mil 2mil 3mil 4mil 5mil 6mil 100mil who cares honestly? Unless it somehow bankrupts the athletic program then screw it. He is worth every dime of his contract. LOOK HOW MANY FREAKING PLAYERS HE STEALS FROM TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOOOOMER

2/21/2008, 10:31 PM
The State of TX has always been Southern Okla. as far as recruiting goes.

goingoneight
2/21/2008, 10:34 PM
It was an investment that paid out in his 10th year. But next time someone beats us we'll have to hear about how the "six million dollar man" got beat and how once again it was the biggest upset story in the history of sports... yawn.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2008, 11:09 PM
Wait, did a guy posting on Soonerfans with a handle taken from the coach of LSU in the '04 Sugar Bowl and a Bammer avvie just subtly call me a bandwagoner? No wonder you're such a lovely shade of red.

bandwagoner!

bri
2/21/2008, 11:42 PM
Suck it, mod boy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2008, 11:44 PM
bite me, saban fan

JLEW1818
2/22/2008, 02:18 AM
The State of TX has always been Southern Okla. as far as recruiting goes.

Very well said!

DangTire
2/22/2008, 04:15 AM
Sure, we won a Championship game last year and you? And the national media calls him Big Game Bob for nuthin, right?

Wake me up when Miami doesn't suck anymore.

2000 called. They want their trophy back.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/22/2008, 05:03 AM
I guarentee that Bri wasn't posting during our darkest hour, the Lewie Hardage coaching staff.

soonernation
2/22/2008, 07:52 AM

Dade County Jail called. They want their inmates back.

sooneron
2/22/2008, 08:07 AM
What in the F are thUg fans doing here? Shouldn't they be out shopping at Champs for some new dope u swag? I hear they have a new parka that "conceals" real good.
The title of this thread should be "We have some new pos u "fans" here"

Sooner_Bob
2/22/2008, 08:11 AM

Mom called and said it's time to quit yankin' it and to get ready for school.

sooneron
2/22/2008, 08:23 AM
Why would 2000 want it's trophy back? We didn't lose a game that year. If you lose a game, suck it up, quit being a fag, and go bitch on a playoff thread. Oops, fag, miami... almost missed that.

pweitkem
2/22/2008, 09:24 AM
Re: $28.5M warranting $6M in payment.

OU grossed $28.5M from their football program. Their senior exec for football makes $6M (22% of total revenue). My company's senior executive makes $40M of a $189B revenue producing business (2% of total revenue).

Seems a little out of whack. Sure Bob is doing his job well, but college FB head coaching salaries are getting out of control. No way a $28.5M grossing business can afford to pay an executive $6M. And I thought corporate America's CEO salaries were out of whack, but if you follow the OU athletic department's line of reason, the CEO of my company should get paid $41B a year. We've recognized similar growth in the same timeframe.

trey
2/22/2008, 09:46 AM
$6 mil and still underpaid

Sooner47
2/22/2008, 09:46 AM

OU grossed $28.5M from their football program. Their senior exec for football makes $6M (22% of total revenue). My company's senior executive makes $40M of a $189B revenue producing business (2% of total revenue).

Seems a little out of whack. Sure Bob is doing his job well, but college FB head coaching salaries are getting out of control. No way a $28.5M grossing business can afford to pay an executive $6M. And I thought corporate America's CEO salaries were out of whack, but if you follow the OU athletic department's line of reason, the CEO of my company should get paid $41B a year. We've recognized similar growth in the same timeframe.

Ask David Boren and the Regents if $28.5 million is all that Bob Stoops and OU football brings in to the university each year. Without a winning football program, contributions to the university would be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they are. Some of you need an economics lesson about big time college sports and their impact on universities.

pweitkem
2/22/2008, 09:59 AM
Ask David Boren and the Regents if $28.5 million is all that Bob Stoops and OU football brings in to the university each year. Without a winning football program, contributions to the university would be SIGNIFICANTLY lower than they are. Some of you need an economics lesson about big time college sports and their impact on universities.

Good point young man. Hopefully you can give me the economics lesson. Then I'll understand better how all thems moneys is made.

Even if you double the amount to $60M he brings to the business, the $6M salary is inflated.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/22/2008, 10:16 AM
i'm not sure what's sadder: that you troll someone else's forums or that your smack is so weak you can't get banned on someone else's forums.

careful folks, their to be pitied...

pweitkem
2/22/2008, 10:19 AM
i'm not sure what's sadder: that you troll someone else's forums or that your smack is so weak you can't get banned on someone else's forums.

careful folks, their to be pitied...

I'm an OU fan... lived in Norman almost all of my life, just live in Austin now. $6M just seems a little much to me. I don't want to see Bob go anywhere, he is fantastic.

2/22/2008, 10:36 AM
The additional $3million is a one-time payment. Not like he's getting that much every year, fergodssakes.

Position Limit
2/22/2008, 12:48 PM
Good point young man. Hopefully you can give me the economics lesson. Then I'll understand better how all thems moneys is made.

Even if you double the amount to $60M he brings to the business, the $6M salary is inflated.

i have to assume you're a texas fan. does that clown you call a coach have an inflated salary? the marketplace has decided what stoops is worth. if he went looking for another coaching gig, every big time university and nfl team would be sucking his kneecaps to get him and willing to pay him more. that's called price discovery, and market pricing.
mack brown on the other hand is a different story. if he went looking for another gig, there wound'nt be a media circus. bama, lsu, florida, ohio st., mich, and any other big time program would'nt consider him. he would have to take a pay cut and a job at some bull**** program. therefore he's overpriced and his salary is inflated.

pweitkem
2/22/2008, 01:50 PM
i have to assume you're a texas fan. does that clown you call a coach have an inflated salary? the marketplace has decided what stoops is worth. if he went looking for another coaching gig, every big time university and nfl team would be sucking his kneecaps to get him and willing to pay him more. that's called price discovery, and market pricing.
mack brown on the other hand is a different story. if he went looking for another gig, there wound'nt be a media circus. bama, lsu, florida, ohio st., mich, and any other big time program would'nt consider him. he would have to take a pay cut and a job at some bull**** program. therefore he's overpriced and his salary is inflated.

Hey asshats, read above. I'm an OU fan and donor, born and bred. My comments are in direct relation to the marketplace... college fb head coaching salaries are getting out of hand. An organization that grosses $100M a year, and I don't care how profitable it is, cannot afford to pay its senior executives the amount head coaches are getting paid today. I was attempting to bring an informed position to the discussion... my apologies. Carry on with your day.

rainiersooner
2/22/2008, 01:59 PM
I was surprised at how low Wilson and Venables salaries were compared to Bob's - does anyone know how their salaries rate to other OC and DCs from similar programs?

JLEW1818
2/22/2008, 02:35 PM
Off topic but.

Can anybody find me a link to the ESPN Thursday night schedule this upcoming year in college football? I enjoyed Thursday night games a ton last season.

SoonerinSouthlake
2/22/2008, 03:37 PM
Hey asshats, read above. I'm an OU fan and donor, born and bred. My comments are in direct relation to the marketplace... college fb head coaching salaries are getting out of hand. An organization that grosses $100M a year, and I don't care how profitable it is, cannot afford to pay its senior executives the amount head coaches are getting paid today. I was attempting to bring an informed position to the discussion... my apologies. Carry on with your day.

PWEITKEM
is the $100MM figure you have based on just revenue (tuition collected)?

are you including the millions in Donations Boren has raised in last 10 years. For instance the huge chunk of change the Gaylords put up to have their name on the Stadium?
My guess is that increases the your figure dramatically....and Stoops' success has played a major role.

Im a business owner, so I see your point...but to me its kinda like bringin on a good sales guy. I may pay him nice salary....then if he brings in a huge piece of biz I'll pay him a huge piece of it to give him incentive to stay and do it again...even if at the end of the business day he has put more money from the transaction in his pocket than me, he has built built my company. Might not be the best analogy, but just trying give a different perspective.

pweitkem
2/22/2008, 03:55 PM
PWEITKEM
is the $100MM figure you have based on just revenue (tuition collected)?

are you including the millions in Donations Boren has raised in last 10 years. For instance the huge chunk of change the Gaylords put up to have their name on the Stadium?
My guess is that increases the your figure dramatically....and Stoops' success has played a major role.

Im a business owner, so I see your point...but to me its kinda like bringin on a good sales guy. I may pay him nice salary....then if he brings in a huge piece of biz I'll pay him a huge piece of it to give him incentive to stay and do it again...even if at the end of the business day he has put more money from the transaction in his pocket than me, he has built built my company. Might not be the best analogy, but just trying give a different perspective.

Good point Sooner in Southlake. He is increasing revenues, no doubt about that... that makes good sense.

goingoneight
2/23/2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not going to go and claim I know everything, but I heard about this $6 Million dealio back in like... 2002? It's sort of a bonus for hanging around ten years. For all the people who think Bob Stoops is just some arrogant jerk who swims in cash, maybe you should drop by the local childrens hospitals or homeless shelters in Oklahoma and ask them about OUr coach. He may not always win the game, but he's a standup guy and deserves a lot of payout for what he's accomplished here. There are a lot of guys who make a lot more for doing a lot less, and there are a lot of guys who roll into an already steady job and capitalize off of it's previous success like Les Miles and Larry Coker did. Stoops inherited a team that was under .500 for four years preceding his hiring and brought us the game's ultimate prize along with 90 wins in 10 years time.

Bottom line, if you're in a position like Stoops has put us in, it's a nonfactor how much we're paying him. Big business makes big bucks... period. I can assure you that directly and indriectly the football program at OU has had MUCH to do with the university's growth, Norman's growth as well as OKC's growth since Stoops arrived. I, myself know a few people who have become fans, decided on OU to further their education or just flat-out moved to Norman/OKC because they liked OU football in the last ten years. I'm not saying Stoops for president or that you should bow down to him or anything, but come on... where would we (Norman, OKC, OU, the fanbase in general, everything) be if he never came here and we still had another Boo or Schnelly or at best some mediocre coach like Belotti? We'd have 40,000 on a good Saturday hoping we could beat someone on OUr home field (A.K.A. "aggy").

DangTire
2/23/2008, 12:23 AM
Why would 2000 want it's trophy back? We didn't lose a game that year. If you lose a game, suck it up, quit being a fag, and go bitch on a playoff thread. Oops, fag, miami... almost missed that.

I bet everywhere you go you've got that Conan O'Brien skit playing in your head. "IN THE YEAR 2000!!!"

I'm glad so many have built themselves a home living in "what was and what shall never be" land.

2/23/2008, 03:10 AM
http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=TV_Shows&movie=Six_Million_Dollar_Man&quote=smbion.txt&file=smbion.wav

BIATCH!

47straight
2/23/2008, 09:43 PM

How much does your CEO make in stock options, golden parachute, and other deferred compensation? Most CEO's salaries are dwarfed by these. And that's exactly what the 6M was - deferred compensation. But you didn't even compare apples and apples, much less average out the 6M over the years since the contract was signed.

SanDiegoSoonerGal
2/24/2008, 03:39 AM
He can rebuild the team...he has the technology...

HA HA HA I can't believe I'm the first person to post that on this thread...:D

pweitkem
2/25/2008, 09:58 AM
How much does your CEO make in stock options, golden parachute, and other deferred compensation? Most CEO's salaries are dwarfed by these. And that's exactly what the 6M was - deferred compensation. But you didn't even compare apples and apples, much less average out the 6M over the years since the contract was signed.

Base salary for our CEO is $20M with another $20 in stock options... not sure how much the golden parachute is, but no doubt it's significant. The CEO makes $100K a day... ridiculous. So when it comes to greed, college coaches don't hold a candle to corporate America's execs... they'd scoff at $6M a year (or $3.3M if you take the $3M bonus and spread it out over the last ten years). That said, the CEOs of corporate America are responsible for multi billion dollar organizations... OU is a multi-million dollar organization. Bob gets a larger percentage of the profits.

But if it takes the extra $3M every ten years to keep Bob, I'm all for it... $9M for another 30 years of excellence sounds like a fair trade to me.

Animal Mother
2/25/2008, 01:36 PM

Absotively. Just ask the local merchants. When I last lived in Norman 1994-95 they put plenty of pressure on the University to send Gibbs packing. They didn't like their shops and restaurants being 70% full. OU football is an economic juggernaut and the life blood of Norman. It's the same with all college towns even in Baja Oklahoma.

soonerboomer93
2/25/2008, 06:43 PM
longevity bonuses are becoming more common for coaches, i'm pretty sure mack got one before last season