PDA

View Full Version : Sources Say, Sampson Fired.

OUsooner1
2/21/2008, 02:49 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/7824932?MSNHPHMA

As it turns out, Indiana's 77-68 victory over Purdue last Tuesday will be Kelvin Sampson's last as the Hoosiers head coach.

Sampson was informed early Thursday that he will no longer be the coach at Indiana, numerous sources told FOXSports.com.

The official announcement is expected to come Friday, when the university's self-imposed seven-day investigation period ends.

When asked to confirm Sampson's firing, Indiana director of media relations J.D. Campbell told FOXSports.com, "I don't know that to be true."

Campbell also said no official announcement was currently scheduled for Friday.

All signs point to Indiana assistant Dan Dakich, a former Hoosier player and assistant coach under Bob Knight, taking the reins for the remainder of the season.

The move comes just eight days after the NCAA announced its findings that Sampson had committed five major rules violations. The NCAA alleged that Sampson placed improper phone calls to recruits, then provided false and misleading information about those calls to both the university and NCAA investigators.

In response, university president Michael McRobbie said the school would conduct a new investigation into the accusations.

A school investigation last year revealed that Sampson and his assistants had made more than 100 impermissible calls, but the school had previously contended that the violations were secondary in nature.

Sampson was already on NCAA probation when he took the Indiana job for making 577 improper phone calls between 2000 and 2004 while the coach at Oklahoma.

The scandal comes in the midst of the Hoosiers' strongest season since losing to Maryland in the 2002 national title game. With the win over Purdue, Indiana improved to 22-4 overall (11-2 in the Big Ten) and is currently ranked No. 15 in the Associated Press poll.

The win also pulled the Hoosiers to within a half-game of the Boilermakers in the Big Ten race, but is far more likely to be remembered as the final game of Sampson's brief tenure in Bloomington.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 02:57 PM
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2084/612capturetombstone03zj4.jpg

crawfish
2/21/2008, 03:11 PM
How could he be so stupid?

I still like Kelvin, but geesh.

Jimminy Crimson
2/21/2008, 03:20 PM
I hope Indiana basketball gets the death penalty!

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 03:30 PM
I like Kelvin, but, a cheater is a cheater. Too bad though, his team could have been special.

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 03:31 PM
Triple post

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 03:31 PM
Triple post

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 03:33 PM
Don't know why it triple posted. Tried to delete them but couldn't.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/21/2008, 03:37 PM
Fire Calvin Simpson!

NAIA here you come...

I bet he gets a "show cause" label from the NCAA.

boomersooner28
2/21/2008, 03:47 PM
So does this mean my autographed Calvin Simpson picture (where he is standing with three players that transferred from OU :D ) is STILL not worth a damn cent? :texan:

SoonerStormchaser
2/21/2008, 03:58 PM
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2004/12/23/1103840083_1620.jpg

yermom
2/21/2008, 04:12 PM
what a maroon

shaun4411
2/21/2008, 04:21 PM
good riddance.

wishbonesooner
2/21/2008, 04:26 PM
How could he work his whole life to get one of the cherry jobs in the country, and screw up so fast? I never heard anyone say he wasn't intelligent, why would he do the same thing that got him in trouble in Norman? Unbelievable!

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2008, 04:28 PM
But what about Calvin Simpson?

SoonerStormchaser
2/21/2008, 04:32 PM
I hear he's Coach K's replacement at Dook when he retires!

Straz1999
2/21/2008, 04:52 PM
Maybe he can coach in the WNBA.

walkoffsooner
2/21/2008, 04:57 PM
he can be the host on cheaters

Dio
2/21/2008, 07:11 PM
But how will this affect his patented 10 minute scoring droughts?

BigRedJed
2/21/2008, 07:24 PM
Don't know why it triple posted. Tried to delete them but couldn't.
Don't worry; I do it all the time.

Big Red Ron
2/21/2008, 07:32 PM
But how will this affect his patented 10 minute scoring droughts?:D

Jacie
2/21/2008, 09:49 PM
From an article posted today:

Indiana mum on Sampson’s fate after NCAA alleges violations
By MICHAEL MAROT, AP Sports Writer

According to the contract signed in April 2006, Indiana pays Sampson an annual base salary of $500,000. The contract runs through the next five seasons.

Sampson’s deal includes termination clauses for violations of university or NCAA rules that eliminate the payments, but two Indianapolis attorneys have told The Associated Press that firing Sampson now may not be enough to prevent the school from paying out at least $2.5 million.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 10:05 PM
But he's a good coach!

goingoneight
2/21/2008, 10:41 PM
It may be a dumb rule he's gotten busted for, but when you get busted and you do it again... he had it coming. Good thing he took the IU job, because we wouldn't skate past the NCAA. This new "oopsie" could have been disastrous if he was still here.

I suspect he'll pull an Eddie Sutton and take another job somewhere after a brief hiatus. I remember how people just automatically erased Eddie's past when he signed on at OSU. Same for his new gig at East Popcorn State.

Blue
2/21/2008, 11:20 PM
I could care less. Really. Sad to say about a former good OU coach.

badger
2/22/2008, 10:10 AM
I think FSN jumped the gun. No other news sources are reporting anything other than closed door meetings among the players and athletic department.

So, here's how it goes. Right now, to dump Kelvin, you would need $2.5 million. The investigation is still just allegations, nothing totally proved, so you would have to buy him out. SO...

1- Indy's investigation finds proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Kelvin is guilty of all NCAA charges. KELVIN FIRED, no pay.

2- Indy's investigation reveals nothing concrete relating to NCAA charges. KELVIN NOT FIRED, but Kelvin either suspended or bought out for $2.5 million.

3- A donor alum whines that his precious Indy is being ruined by KS (oh, we didn't see that coming...) so he/she (likely HE) donated the $2.5 million needed to make Kelvin go away. GOODBYE, KELVIN.

4- Is it too late to play the "I'm winning" card, the "I'm still new here" card, the "I have good ethics, aside from phone calls" card, or even, heaven forbid, the "race" card?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 10:19 AM
So what "race" card would he play? The Native-American or the African-American?

Insert "race card" graphics here...

badger
2/22/2008, 10:26 AM
So what "race" card would he play? The Native-American or the African-American?

Insert "race card" graphics here...
Scratch those cards, they're apparently playing THE FULL DECK...

...of players, that is.

The players, during a closed door meeting, apparently to ease them into the decision of letting KS go, had one declare this:

"If Kelvin Sampson ain't coaching, we ain't playing."

After asking if they should cancel the rest of the season, this player repeated this and the players walked out without another word.

So the new card on the table is "your money making sport is screwed if you don't keep me" card

What can we say, people? It is obvious that KS was prepared for such a situation and has his little lemmings so well-coached that they won't follow anyone else. Poor Indy...?

On that note:

BOOMER SOONER! BOOMER SOONER! WE GOT CAPEL! YOU GOT SAMPSON!
NO PROBATION! NO SUSPENSION! AND POST SEASON? YES, WE CAN! (NO, YOU CAN'T!)

INDY IS SO SCREWED, CUZ THEY HIRED THAT DUDE, NOW TO FIRE THAT DUDE, THE WHOLE SEASON IS RUINED!

RAH, OKLAHOMA, RAH, OKLAHOMA, AS FOR SAMPSON??? HE'S YOURS NOW!

stoopified
2/22/2008, 10:28 AM
But he's a good coach!And Charlie Manson is a good guitarist BUT I don't want him anywhere near my boys either.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 12:01 PM
Scratch those cards, they're apparently playing THE FULL DECK...

The players, during a closed door meeting, apparently to ease them into the decision of letting KS go, had one declare this:

"If Kelvin Sampson ain't coaching, we ain't playing."

After asking if they should cancel the rest of the season, this player repeated this and the players walked out without another word.

If true, the IU admin should tell the students we will forfeit the remainder of the season and release you all from your scholarship. Your free to go elsewhere outside of the Big 10/11.

humblesooner
2/22/2008, 12:18 PM
If true, the IU admin should tell the students we will forfeit the remainder of the season and release you all from your scholarship. Your free to go elsewhere outside of the Big 10/11.

I agree 100%.
This would not be a case of the student/athletes being screwed by the school. IU will want to continue the season. But if the players decide to Boycott, they will forfeit the remaining games and begin looking for their new coach.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/22/2008, 12:26 PM
Pretty much everytime a coach is fired somewhere, you here the "we aint playin for nobody else" from the players..Its an emotional time and its an emotional statement..I would almost guarantee that with the exception of eric gordon and the graduating seniors, most of them will be back