PDA

View Full Version : teenagers on motorcycles

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 10:12 AM
is it still legal for 14 year olds to get a license to ride a motorcycle? I never understood that. Seems more dangerous than a car to me, but???

I"m asking because my ex wants to get a motorcycle for our 15 year old to drive around - just around town and not too far from home, but the thought of it makes me nervous. She has a dirt bike that she rides, so she has some experience, but he wants to get her a street bike so she can visit her friends and run errands and he won't have to drive her around.

what do you think?

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 10:15 AM
If we Votin I Vote NO

Curly Bill
2/21/2008, 10:18 AM
Doesn't sound like a great idea to me...and I ride motorcycles. Riding on the street is an entirely different experience as you have to watch out for everyone else, as there are some drivers that apparently can't see a motorcycle coming right at them, right in front of them, etc...In short: doesn't sound to me like she's old enough, nor experienced enough.

Jerk
2/21/2008, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't agree to that, Brat.

Not unless you want to be a nervous wreck every time she leaves the driveway.

frankensooner
2/21/2008, 10:20 AM
N-O. I am surprised that a doctor wants his kid on a donorcycle. Well, he is a dumba@@, he let you go.

yermom
2/21/2008, 10:20 AM
well, it's safer for the public than a car...

it really depends on the person, IMO

at the very least i'd make her do the motorcycle safety course

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 10:26 AM
N-O. I am surprised that a doctor wants his kid on a donorcycle. Well, he is a dumba@@, he let you go.

an ER doc at that...you'd think he'd have seen enough accidents come thru there to not even let her drive a car til she's 20.

Curly Bill
2/21/2008, 10:27 AM
an ER doc at that...you'd think he'd have seen enough accidents come thru there to not even let her drive a car til she's 20.

An ER doc, maybe he thinks this is a way of seeing her more often. ;) ;) :D

OUAndy1807
2/21/2008, 10:28 AM
I think that people under 16 are only legal on motorcycles with engines up to 125cc.

Fugue
Absolutely not.

Boarder
My vote would be absolutely not. Zero chance. Drive her around for one more year. Call a taxi. Anything else.

yermom
2/21/2008, 10:31 AM
geez, i know some of you were 15 once

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 10:33 AM

yah, and I remember how stupid I was.

Curly Bill

Exactly...which is how we know this is a bad idea. :D

Boarder
Yeah, I was. I'd think it was stupid not to let me have one. Now I'm not and I actually know stuff. There is no possible way I'd risk my kid to make my life of taking them around a little more convenient for a year. And if you would, you've got some serious problems.

Beef
2/21/2008, 10:35 AM
I waited until I was 35 and had a heart attack before I deemed I was responsible enough for a motorcycles.

OUAndy1807
2/21/2008, 10:37 AM
A bunch of my buddies had enduro bikes that were street legal when we were 14, and surprisingly the thought of losing the privilege of mobility was enough punishment to keep them from ever doing anything remotely crazy. And these were bad kids, but they didn't want to lose that freedom so they didn't screw around on their bikes.

achiro
2/21/2008, 10:37 AM
Depends on the size of the town you are in and the traffic. I grew up in Miami and pretty much all the guys had 100's and 125's in Junior high and several girls had those or even mopeds. My cousin is the only person I know that had a wreck, he had 3 and he was high most of the time.

yermom
2/21/2008, 10:40 AM
that's kinda what i was thinking too, i mean i grew up in Owasso. there was no traffic at the time. Norman isn't too bad either

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 10:49 AM
A bunch of my buddies had enduro bikes that were street legal when we were 14, and surprisingly the thought of losing the privilege of mobility was enough punishment to keep them from ever doing anything remotely crazy. And these were bad kids, but they didn't want to lose that freedom so they didn't screw around on their bikes.

I think she'd be responsible, I'm more worried about someone else hitting HER. she lives in Edmond and there are a lot of crazy teenagers around where she lives.

OUAndy1807
2/21/2008, 10:50 AM
I think she'd be responsible, I'm more worried about someone else hitting HER. she lives in Edmond and there are a lot of crazy teenagers around where she lives.
that's a very good point. one of the major reason I don't own a motorcycle is because I don't trust other drivers to not change lanes into me.

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 10:52 AM
The Young Lady Could be the Most careful driver out there.
never Do a thing wrong
And Some dumbass will run Over her
Not NO But HELL NO
And I agree The Dr has to Be the biggest dumbass in the world .

texas bandman
2/21/2008, 10:54 AM
As a survivor of a motorcycle wreck when I was a teen, I vote a resounding "NO"! I spent 6 months in a hospital bed and I was what my medical team called the "lucky" one. I haven't had the fortitude to get on one ever again and I cringe every time I see a motorcyclist, because of the one mistake I made 30 years ago.

GottaHavePride
2/21/2008, 10:58 AM
that's a very good point. one of the major reason I don't own a motorcycle is because I don't trust other drivers to not change lanes into me.

Yeah, don't let her drive near SicEm.

;)

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah, don't let her drive near SicEm.

;)

i think she could probably kick his @$$

she's taller than him

walden2009
2/21/2008, 11:03 AM
I think the law is 14 and 15 years olds is nothing over a 250cc. Also a helmet and curfew/lighting law. Also if she has some experiance on a dirt bike thats more than other jackasses on the really expensive bikes that go to fast for their own good. But yeah its not my abilities on a motorcyle that bother me, its everyone else out there on 4 wheels that scare me.

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 11:04 AM
i'll drive her around

OCUDad
2/21/2008, 11:05 AM
Not that you really need to see another "no" vote, but I vote NO also.

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 11:06 AM
i'll drive her around
Hell Id Kick his *** :cool:

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 11:10 AM
Not that you really need to see another "no" vote, but I vote NO also.
Shoulda been a pole

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 11:45 AM
Let's see, you have (2) colleges in Edmond, 4 HS which means there are over 6,000 kids driving and the you add a 15 yr old on a bike that has no protection. The odds are greater that one of those 6,000 make a driving error and hit her.

NO WAY

Chuck Bao
2/21/2008, 11:47 AM
I vote yes. But, I would restrict her to certain neighborhood roads where vehicle traffic is light and speeds not exceed 25-30mph.

yermom
2/21/2008, 11:56 AM
that's pretty similar to what i was thinking...

i'd agree on the other drivers thing, i pretty much assume no one sees me and everyone wants to run me over :D

Mixer!
2/21/2008, 12:03 PM
Scooter.

</BigRedJed>

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 12:21 PM
I vote yes. But, I would restrict her to certain neighborhood roads where vehicle traffic is light and speeds not exceed 25-30mph.

the friends she would visit live down streets that aren't that busy, therefore people drive really fast on them. And I know that first he'd let her drive around edmond, then he'd get tired of driving her to school and let her drive herself (she goes to a private school about 15-20 miles away)....I can see where this is going. The more I think about it, the worse an idea it becomes.

yermom
2/21/2008, 12:26 PM
if this was something she was pushing, i could see it. but if he's pushing it, i don't know.

15-20 miles away does sound like a bad idea.

achiro
2/21/2008, 12:29 PM
Anything more than 2-3 miles really wouldn't be good IMO. Also, if there are roads in Edmond with light traffic, I haven't found them.:(

Whet
2/21/2008, 12:36 PM
I also believe it is a bad idea. Think how often you see these yahoos driving and jabbering on their cell phones, as their vehicle moves from lane to lane...... It is dangerous enough in a car! But a motorcycle, with no protection?

TexasSooner01
2/21/2008, 12:37 PM
Not NO But HELL NO
And I agree The Dr has to Be the biggest dumbass in the world .

I agree with olevet on this one! No way would i let my child on a motorcycle until he is old enough to be out of my house and on his own. I would not want to feel responsible for him being hurt or killed riding it around. Once he is an adult, then he can make that choice.

Melo
2/21/2008, 12:46 PM
Brat, let me put things even more into perspective on just how bad of an idea it is:

I would LOVE to have a bike, I think theyre awesome, not so much for the whole going fast and stunting, but because I could wear the tight leathers and get some more attention from the male species.

Not only that, but I had a boyfriend with a bike, and I use to stunt with him. Ive never fallen off, but I have been on the bike when people have attempted to drive us off the road, and I have been on the bike when it was going 195+ down 290.

That sh*t is scary, and there is no way I would want to be involved with it ever again.

Now for a 14/15 year old, no matter how much she promises to stay safe and be mature about it, and no matter how much you trust her, doing dumb things dont seem so dumb when youre having fun.

She might not see it as very fair, but looking back on things now, I dont think it would have been fair to my mom and dad to have to try an ID my body after someone ran me off the road going 195+.

achiro
2/21/2008, 12:58 PM
Brat, let me put things even more into perspective on just how bad of an idea it is:

I would LOVE to have a bike, I think theyre awesome, not so much for the whole going fast and stunting, but because I could wear the tight leathers and get some more attention from the male species.

Not only that, but I had a boyfriend with a bike, and I use to stunt with him. Ive never fallen off, but I have been on the bike when people have attempted to drive us off the road, and I have been on the bike when it was going 195+ down 290.

That sh*t is scary, and there is no way I would want to be involved with it ever again.

Now for a 14/15 year old, no matter how much she promises to stay safe and be mature about it, and no matter how much you trust her, doing dumb things dont seem so dumb when youre having fun.

She might not see it as very fair, but looking back on things now, I dont think it would have been fair to my mom and dad to have to try an ID my body after someone ran me off the road going 195+.
If you find a scooter or a 125 that goes 195, let me know. Oh, and you would look like an idiot in leathers on one of those.:D

Melo
2/21/2008, 01:10 PM
I would look good in leathers on ANYTHING, scooter included.

Sooner_Bob
2/21/2008, 01:14 PM
I think she'd be responsible, I'm more worried about someone else hitting HER. she lives in Edmond and there are a lot of crazy, stupid drivers around where she lives.

fixed . . . I'm simply amazed at how stupid some of the people who live up here are when it comes to driving.

sooner_born_1960
2/21/2008, 01:15 PM
Brat, the answer I'd give my 14-year old is; "NO!". However, I don't have an ex-spouse trying to give her one. Good luck, and may you win this one.

Sooner_Bob
2/21/2008, 01:18 PM
Oh, and I vote no as well . . .

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 01:41 PM

ah, our little girl is all growns up!

Melo
2/21/2008, 01:48 PM

Not so much.
:D

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 02:01 PM
Not so much.
:D

ok, almost. that was a very mature answer though.

Vaevictis
2/21/2008, 02:28 PM
what do you think?

Easy: Hell no.

No matter how good a driver you are, all it takes is someone else screwing up and you're roadkill. And 14 year olds aren't exactly known for being good drivers, or smart ones for that matter.

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2008, 02:32 PM
Wouldn't a scooter be better for her?

I think it would partly depend on where you live. I mean if you were from my town (not Waco) then it probably isn't a big deal. The neighbor girl next door had a scooter growing up when she was around that age and drove it around without a problem.

If you live in Oklahoma City or something though then I sure as hell wouldn't even drive it myself let alone a teenage girl. Teenage girls can't drive worth a **** anyway.

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 02:41 PM
this from the person who's totaled how many cars and been in how many accidents?

how's the black eye?

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2008, 02:44 PM
how's the black eye?
Better. Thanks for asking!

(none of those wrecks were my fault, the drivers in Waco really suck)

rufnek05
2/21/2008, 02:47 PM
If she gets one, make sure she puts loud pipes on it. Thats what I did and it seems to help. At least this way they can hear that I am next to them if they are too damn lazy to look before they change lanes.

proud gonzo
2/21/2008, 03:22 PM
**** no.

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 04:10 PM

Our baby Girl Is growing Up Befor Our Very Eyes
Good Post Melo .

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 04:12 PM
Great Minds and all that .:D

StoopTroup
2/21/2008, 04:51 PM
My Father did lots of ER Facial repairs.

He told me I could buy a donorcycle the day I moved out of his house.

So at 19...I did.

walkoffsooner
2/21/2008, 04:53 PM
I have rode a bike since age 13 put on over 400,000 miles with no accidents. Would I get my 14 y.o. a bike? Hell no. You have to be thinking all the time on how to be defensive.

HskrGrl
2/21/2008, 04:56 PM
I am dumbfounded that a father would even think about giving a motorcycle to his 15 year old daughter to drive around just so he wouldn't have to take her to her friends' houses and to the store. That's sad. :( I don't know how it works with a divorce if you get a say in this, but I really hope that you do!!

The ads on this page are for bikerplanet.com. :P

bluedogok
2/21/2008, 11:03 PM
I started riding when I was 9, I grew up going trail riding with my dad and others in the neighborhood and pretty much all of us got our MC license at 14. Most of us knew what was at stake if we screwed up like that. I was much more "adventurous" in pushing the limits of a car. I do feel that my riding experience has made me a much better and more aware driver.

As a survivor of a motorcycle wreck when I was a teen, I vote a resounding "NO"! I spent 6 months in a hospital bed and I was what my medical team called the "lucky" one. I haven't had the fortitude to get on one ever again and I cringe every time I see a motorcyclist, because of the one mistake I made 30 years ago.
I had a wreck a year ago, too long of a day in the rain (450 miles) on an unfamiliar road. We pulled the bike out of the barbed wire fence and rode the final 5 miles left to home. It was my first wreck on the street in 35 years of riding (30 of it licensed for the street). I had all my gear on, scraped the chinbar of the helmet and my boots and pants, nothing more than some bumps and bruises because I take measures to take care of myself.

Depends on the size of the town you are in and the traffic. I grew up in Miami and pretty much all the guys had 100's and 125's in Junior high and several girls had those or even mopeds. My cousin is the only person I know that had a wreck, he had 3 and he was high most of the time.
I agree, the size of the town plays a big part in the equation, West OKC wasn't too bad 30+ years ago. In Edmond 30 years ago, I would say she would be fine, in this day and age I don't think that would be a good idea to just let her loose on one.

ultimatesooner1
2/22/2008, 12:44 AM
my cousin in Enid got a 125 enduro when we were 15. he had it for a month or two before he got hit by a guy that ran a light and put a nice imprint of a truck bumper on his ***.

he did collect enough insurance $$ to buy a classic vette and restore it when he turned 16 though