PDA

View Full Version : What Would you do?

SoonerKnight
2/21/2008, 01:28 AM
NEW YORK - A man was charged with withdrawing $2 million from an account after a bank confused him with a man who has the same name.

Benjamin Lovell was arraigned Tuesday on grand larceny charges. The 48-year-old salesman said he tried to tell officials at Commerce Bank in December that he did not have a $5 million account. He says he was told it was his and he could withdraw the money.

Prosecutors said the bank — which advertises itself as America's Most Convenient Bank — confused Lovell with a Benjamin Lovell who works for a property management company.

The lesser-funded Lovell gave away some of the withdrawn money and blew some of it on gifts, but lost much of it on bad investments, prosecutors said.

The district attorney's office did not immediately have information on his lawyer. Calls left with Commerce Bank on Wednesday were not immediately returned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23258937/?GT1=10856

yermom
2/21/2008, 01:34 AM
Mason.

Jars.

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 09:19 AM
live overseas

Partial Qualifier
2/21/2008, 09:48 AM
What a dumas.

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 10:01 AM
Changed my name from Lovell to Trump and see if the name game really works. :D

Osce0la
2/21/2008, 10:18 AM
NEW YORK - A man was charged with withdrawing $2 million from an account after a bank confused him with a man who has the same name.

Benjamin Lovell was arraigned Tuesday on grand larceny charges. The 48-year-old salesman said he tried to tell officials at Commerce Bank in December that he did not have a $5 million account. He says he was told it was his and he could withdraw the money.

Prosecutors said the bank — which advertises itself as America's Most Convenient Bank — confused Lovell with a Benjamin Lovell who works for a property management company.

The lesser-funded Lovell gave away some of the withdrawn money and blew some of it on gifts, but lost much of it on bad investments, prosecutors said.

The district attorney's office did not immediately have information on his lawyer. Calls left with Commerce Bank on Wednesday were not immediately returned.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23258937/?GT1=10856
If this part is true I say the bank is to blame and the man should not be punished for this. He tried to notify them of their mistake, they didn't look into it to see that they had actually made the mistake, but rather told him the money was his...This is the bank's error, they should have to eat it, not him...

Boarder
2/21/2008, 10:30 AM
If this part is true I say the bank is to blame and the man should not be punished for this. He tried to notify them of their mistake, they didn't look into it to see that they had actually made the mistake, but rather told him the money was his...This is the bank's error, they should have to eat it, not him...
If they told him he could fly and he jumped off a building to his death would it be thier fault?

He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. Period.

Curly Bill
2/21/2008, 10:31 AM
If his bad investments would have payed off could he have given the bank back its money and kept the surplus?

SOONER STEAKER
2/21/2008, 10:33 AM
I called my bank one time to cancel a check. The bank called me the next day and said that the teller didn't catch the "flag" and the check was cashed. I didn't have to pay for the check but the bank sure made me feel guilty. I no longer bank with that institution.

Osce0la
2/21/2008, 10:37 AM
If they told him he could fly and he jumped off a building to his death would it be thier fault?

He knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong. Period.
Either way, he told them they screwed up, they told him to spend the money. It isn't like he checked his balance one day, saw $5,000,000 and decided to go on a shopping spree. He noticed there was a considerable amount more in his account than there should be, he went to the bank and told them it wasn't his. It is the bank's job to research it (especially that large of an amount of money). They didn't do their job, but rather told him it was his to do whatever he wants...Hell, if my bank told me it was my money to do what I want with - even after me telling them it isn't mine - I would spend it too...He let them know there was a problem, they just didn't want to look into the problem, but rather took the easy way and said 'go spend your money'...

Osce0la
2/21/2008, 10:39 AM
Actually, I would get a written statement, showing that I notified them of the error, and they still told me the money was mine, have someone at the branch sign it stating that the money belongs to me...:D

Boarder
2/21/2008, 10:40 AM
If you had $10000 in the bank and they told you you had $10500 that would be a bank error. Telling you that you suddenly had $5million you know something's up.

He knew what he was doing was wrong. He is a dishonest person. He should and will get punished for it.

Widescreen
2/21/2008, 10:42 AM
The guy is an idiot. Did he not think they would figure out (or the REAL Benjamin would figure out) that the $5 mil went to the wrong person? He knew it wasn't his and he took it. That's theft.

OU4LIFE
2/21/2008, 10:49 AM
he should have taken the 2 mil and put it in some kind of interest bearing account, paid the 2 mil back when the bank finally came to their senses and pocketed the interest.

win-win

Osce0la
2/21/2008, 10:52 AM
he should have taken the 2 mil and put it in some kind of interest bearing account, paid the 2 mil back when the bank finally came to their senses and pocketed the interest.

win-win
That is probably the better idea...

So, was this money actually put into his account or did he go to the branch and they just happened to pull up the wrong account?

shaun4411
2/21/2008, 04:57 PM

win-win

or moved to switzerland.

walkoffsooner
2/21/2008, 05:01 PM
since he had a millions he won't go to real jail.

JohnnyMack
2/21/2008, 05:07 PM
The guy is an idiot. He should be forced to drive an XRA4TI.

olevetonahill
2/21/2008, 05:11 PM
Id have sponsored all Of the Tailgates and Bot every one ticketsOn SF Tickets on the 50 yrd line

Oh and Bot Lots Of natty

Frozen Sooner
2/22/2008, 12:38 AM
It wasn't his, he knew it wasn't his.

He tried to notify bank officials? Right...

How much you want to bet the conversation went something like this?

"Hey, there's $5 million in my account!"
"Yes, that's what it says here on my screen."
"When did that get deposited?"
"Couple of days ago, on the 15th."
"And I can just spend that?"
"Sure, it's your money."

On the other hand, hopefully someone at the bank is getting a massive asschewing for this particular screwup. I mean, I really hope that if someone starts acting odd around a $5 million balance my employees know enough to come get me.

olevetonahill
2/22/2008, 12:54 AM
It wasn't his, he knew it wasn't his.

He tried to notify bank officials? Right...

How much you want to bet the conversation went something like this?

"Hey, there's $5 million in my account!"
"Yes, that's what it says here on my screen."
"When did that get deposited?"
"Couple of days ago, on the 15th."
"And I can just spend that?"
"Sure, it's your money."

On the other hand, hopefully someone at the bank is getting a massive asschewing for this particular screwup. I mean, I really hope that if someone starts acting odd around a $5 million balance my employees know enough to come get me.
So Ya saying I gots to split it with Ya ?:mad:
Naw
you get 20 %
Max

Okla-homey
2/22/2008, 08:42 AM
Commerce Bank? I bet Mr. Drysdale is so p1ssed he roughs up Miss Hathaway over this one.

MamaMia
2/22/2008, 09:28 AM
Banks make mistakes. You have to watch them closely. Before we headed out on our Fiesta Bowl road trip we paid our loan payments a week or so in advance. In the 10 years we've been doing business with First American Bank we have never once been late on a half a million dollars worth of loans we took out for our home, business and autos. They sent us a nasty overdue letter a week after our payment due date. Someone had forgotten to post our payment. Our loyal business relationship wasn't even worth a polite phone call.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 09:43 AM
I hope you moved your loyal business after their rude behavior.