PDA

View Full Version : I've been scammed!

boomersooner28
2/20/2008, 07:29 PM
The wife takes care of all the bills/credit cards/bank accounts/etc etc. She checks our online bank accounts about everyday. Last night she notices about 4 or 5 purchases from gas stations and asks me if I have been using my debit card a lot lately. I told her that I put gas in her car a couple days ago, then bought some food at a gas station the other day (had no cash). Told her to wait till today and check to see exactly what the purchases were. They came through today and SOMEBODY HAS MY DAMN DEBIT CARD NUMBER AND IS USING IT IN NEW YORK!!! Bastages have spent $640 so far that came through!!! :mad: They had to get my number over the internet/hacking/virus. I will never buy over the internet again.

sooner_born_1960
2/20/2008, 07:30 PM
Cancel the card and wait for Mike to offer more advice.

Mjcpr
2/20/2008, 07:35 PM
I never use my debit card for online purchases because if that gets out, it's your cash. You may get it back, but it'll be a pain the *** I'm guessing.

If you use a regular credit card, I think you're only liable for $50, if that.

SleestakSooner
2/20/2008, 07:46 PM
I lost my wallet a few months ago and within an hour after my debit card was used to purchase several hundred dollars worth of stuff at walmart and 7-11. I notified my bank ASAP and they gave me a full refund within about a week.

Debit cards at least limit the amount that can be charged to what you have in the account.

Always be wary of purchasing online with a credit or debit card though, if you aren't sure about the site do a bit of research before giving anyone your digits!

Oldnslo
2/20/2008, 07:55 PM
If memory serves, you can get $ back from debit or credit fraud IF properly and timely reported. Debit claims have a much shorter time limit, though.

And this is my memory from a class 18 or so years ago.

JohnnyMack
2/20/2008, 08:01 PM
Sorry about that.

I needed some money while I was visiting the Big Apple.

I'll pay you back with vCash.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 10:53 PM
T Last night she notices about 4 or 5 purchases from gas stations

Were any of them Shell stations? :mad:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 11:03 PM
I never use my debit card for online purchases because if that gets out, it's your cash. You may get it back, but it'll be a pain the *** I'm guessing.

If you use a regular credit card, I think you're only liable for $50, if that.

same here...cc for i-net and gas purchases.

Widescreen
2/21/2008, 12:12 AM
Broyles!!!!!!!!!!!

KC//CRIMSON
2/21/2008, 12:22 AM
Broyles!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey-O!

boomersooner28
2/21/2008, 05:50 AM
Were any of them Shell stations? :mad:

yeah, actuallly most of em were shell stations :mad:

SleestakSooner
2/21/2008, 02:00 PM
Has Gottleib been wandering around your room?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/21/2008, 02:14 PM
as an fyi, skimming is on the rise up here

http://www.komotv.com/news/archive/4178566.html

look at where they are buying goods. newer machines recognize if your card is a debit card and push you to make a pin transaction. if these are pin transactions you probably got skimmed as above. while its possible that you lost your card info on the web, its more likely it was stolen locally and then published on the web...

Frozen Sooner
2/21/2008, 02:36 PM
If memory serves, you can get $ back from debit or credit fraud IF properly and timely reported. Debit claims have a much shorter time limit, though.

And this is my memory from a class 18 or so years ago.

Regulation E supercedes that.

Contact your financial institution and follow their fraud reporting guidelines. They may require you to file a police report-VISA typically requires one now before even looking at the claim.