PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin plans to return for sophomore season

Boomer.....
2/20/2008, 05:25 PM
Oklahoma's Blake Griffin plans to return for sophomore season

04:16 PM CST on Wednesday, February 20, 2008
By BRANDON GEORGE / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma standout freshman forward Blake Griffin said Wednesday that he plans to return next year for his sophomore season instead of declaring early for the NBA draft.

Griffin's status for next season has been uncertain because he's widely considered a potential first-round draft pick. Some 2008 NBA mock drafts have Griffin (6-10, 243 pounds) rated as high as a lottery pick.

Asked if he were certain of his decision, he said it was "pretty definite."

"I have a lot of stuff to work on, a lot of stuff to get better at and we have a chance to have a really good team next year," Griffin said. "Staying here and working hard and really putting in the work and the time will make me better prepared for whenever I do decide to leave."

Griffin, an Oklahoma City native and former McDonald's All-American, said he'd like his jump shot to develop and his shooting range to improve. He said only two factors could change his mind about returning next year. He said if OU (18-8, 6-5), tied for fourth place in the Big 12 with Texas A&M, won the national championship or made a deep NCAA Tournament run, he'd likely reconsider his decision.

"Something like that would have to happen," Griffin said. "It's more being ready than being able to go. There are a lot of guys who can go, but being ready and being able to step in and do well and not just sit on the bench is something that's important to me. I don't want to just go and sit. I want to go and play."

Griffin is averaging team-highs of 15.2 points and 9.1 rebounds per game. Playing in front of several NBA scouts Tuesday in OU's dramatic 92-91 overtime win over Baylor, Griffin had a career-high 29 points and 15 rebounds.

Griffin said another factor that has him planning to return to OU next season is the chance to play one more year with his brother, Taylor, who will be a senior for the Sooners next season.

"I definitely want to be here for him because it's an important time for him, his last year in college basketball," Griffin said. "I'm really looking forward to next year."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/022108dnspooubklede.108aefd7.html

Boomer.....
2/20/2008, 05:37 PM
Not a huge surprise but we can all relax now.

birddog
2/20/2008, 10:14 PM
just for one year i'd like to have some superb talent in a sooner uniform. warren, willis, allen, cannon bring it on.

it's all well and good to have role players that play good defense and try hard but i'm ready to add some serious players to the cast we have now.

Soonerus
2/20/2008, 10:35 PM
Sooners will be really good next year...

Youngsooner
2/20/2008, 10:35 PM
Um next year we should be loaded I'm excited. glad to hear that though, Griffins a beast and I'll enjoy watching him play next year too

Collier11
2/20/2008, 10:36 PM
Ou has a shot to be a top 10-15 preseason team now, this is good stuff!

birddog
2/20/2008, 10:41 PM
also we can finally bring guys off the bench and not have a big drop off of talent.

this might be the best ou team since 2002.

tommieharris91
2/20/2008, 11:54 PM
Big expectations next year. Let's see how Capel and the boys do down the stretch this year first though.

Civicus_Sooner
2/21/2008, 10:57 AM
Where's Nick's doom and gloom now?

crawfish
2/21/2008, 11:49 AM
supa

shaun4411
2/21/2008, 04:19 PM
next year wiill be fun for sooner fans. a dual national championship in football and basketball?

Collier11
2/21/2008, 04:21 PM
next year wiill be fun for sooner fans. a dual national championship in football and basketball?

and all of our probations will have expired wont they?? :D

Statalyzer
2/21/2008, 06:47 PM
Asked if he were certain of his decision, he said it was "pretty definite."

There have been tons of players who, while the season was still happening, were "100% certain" or "guaranteed" that they were coming back, and then left for the NBA.

That said, I do think Griffin should stay, and I think he will say, even though as a Longhorn I would much rather him leave.

the_ouskull
2/22/2008, 06:10 AM
This isn't surprising. Blake's not stupid.

the_ouskull