PDA

View Full Version : I've had ENOUGH!!!

DBrown
2/20/2008, 05:09 PM
GAS UP .15 IN A 10 HOUR PERIOD OF TIME!!!
Here's the question to pose to our candidates....
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?...NOW....I DON'T MEAN ANY DISCUSSION PANELS OR FORUMS!!!!!!
NO SURVEYS OR STUDIES ARE NEEDED!
QUIT WASTING WHAT LITTLE $$$ WE HAVE LEFT ON BALL PLAYERS AND THE
STEROIDS THEY USE!
**** FOR THAT MATTER,WHY DON'T WE JUST GO AHEAD AND JUMP ****
GAS PRICES TO $5 A ******* GALLON.
I DON'T THINK WE ARE PAYING ENOUGH AT THE PUMP NOW!!
GREEDY *** BASTARDS.......well you said anything goes on this forum
and that's what I'm venting about right now!
Thank you and have a nice day anyway.

soonernation
2/20/2008, 05:11 PM
What do you do for a living?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 05:15 PM
Not a damn thing, they can't do anything about it. No one except if you wring the necks of the trader's can do anything about the price of oil. That is, if you don't count trying to make world peace, various people get along that have never got along, you make the oil easier to find or make more if come out of the ground, or make more oil up close to where we have been the last 100 years. Otherwise, forget about anything being done about the price of gas or oil. It is what it is.

SoonerStormchaser
2/20/2008, 05:15 PM
Oh boy...

I thought I was the only idiot allowed in this forum!

Mixer!
2/20/2008, 05:17 PM
Build more refineries?

Oh wait, the oil companies want to maximize their profits. Forget that.

Mongo
2/20/2008, 05:18 PM
us in the oil field thank you for your money. I advise you to warm your car up at least 30 minutes if the temperature is below 45 degrees, 15 minutes if above.

Oldnslo
2/20/2008, 05:19 PM
Darn that free enterprise!

NormanPride
2/20/2008, 05:20 PM
I just five-starred this thread.

SOONER STEAKER
2/20/2008, 05:22 PM
I'm glad my stocks are doing well but I am ****ed I paid $3.02 yesterday, cost me $52.00 to fill up. Man, that cuts into my beer drinking.

soonernation
2/20/2008, 05:23 PM
us in the oil field thank you for your money. I advise you to warm your car up at least 30 minutes if the temperature is below 45 degrees, 15 minutes if above.

And we would like you to keep buying those big *** SUV's. Also make sure you drive at least 15 mph over the posted speed limit at all times.

Thanks again.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 05:29 PM
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

A few months ago I saw a flyer that showed each of the candidates positions on increasing the CAFE standard. All of the Democrats were for it, but all of the Republicans were either against it or had no position.

DBrown
2/20/2008, 05:31 PM
Oh the humanity.....if the prices would only fall as fast as the speck does.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 05:34 PM
Oh the humanity.....if the prices would only fall as fast as the speck does.

Yeah, well at least half the people on here are in the oil industry, so good luck with that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 05:41 PM
I dont know why you guys are so hard on Dee Brown...

Mongo
2/20/2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah, well at least half the people on here are in the oil industry, so good luck with that.

at least one is gone for ever:D

soonerbrat
2/20/2008, 05:47 PM
WTH is that?

boomersooner28
2/20/2008, 05:51 PM
Man Dee....I remember when you won the slamdunk competition. Those were the days.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 06:06 PM
n/m

SoonerStormchaser
2/20/2008, 06:09 PM
I think Mongo was talking about himself.

Harry Beanbag
2/20/2008, 06:12 PM
My how quickly we forget around here.

royalfan5
Personally, I plan on having a more fuel efficient vehicle in a couple weeks. Other than that I am enjoying the commodity boom because it's going to make things easier for me.

GottaHavePride
I dont know why you guys are so hard on Dee Brown...

Because he's not James Brown? :D

SoonerStormchaser
2/20/2008, 06:22 PM
Or Kwame Brown? :P

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 06:38 PM
Or Kurt Brown....ing

Mixer!
2/20/2008, 08:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru5exYqe5_M

proud gonzo
2/20/2008, 08:16 PM
GAS UP .15 IN A 10 HOUR PERIOD OF TIME!!!man, if it took them a whole ten hours to change the numbers on the sign, they better find new gas station employees.

Mixer!
2/20/2008, 08:23 PM
Hey, minimum wage employees need pot breaks too!

soonerboomer93
2/20/2008, 08:50 PM
actually, a lot of refineries in the states are upgrading capacity, running new lines, my friends have work out the tail, and more working they're constantly bidding on

oh, and i was paying $6 a gallon in korea, so quit bitching, the US still has some of the lowest fuel prices in the world, especially for a country that depends on imported oil

oh, and i thank you, i work in oil :D

GottaHavePride
2/20/2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah, most of Europe pays per liter what we pay per gallon. So, a lot more.

soonerbrat
2/20/2008, 10:35 PM

most of europe - closer to double what we pay...so more like they pay for 2 litres what we pay per gallon

damn..in venezuela, it's 12 cents a gallon

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/global_gasprices/

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48
Norway Oslo $6.27
Italy Milan $5.96
Denmark Copenhagen $5.93
Belgium Brussels $5.91
Sweden Stockholm $5.80
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35
Hungary Budapest $4.94
Luxembourg $4.82
Croatia Zagreb $4.81
Ireland Dublin $4.78
Switzerland Geneva $4.74
Spain Madrid $4.55
Japan Tokyo $4.24
Czech Republic Prague $4.19
Romania Bucharest $4.09
Andorra $4.08
Estonia Tallinn $3.62
Bulgaria Sofia $3.52
Brazil Brasilia $3.12
Cuba Havana $3.03
Taiwan Taipei $2.84
Lebanon Beirut $2.63
South Africa Johannesburg $2.62
Nicaragua Managua $2.61
Panama Panama City $2.19
Russia Moscow $2.10
Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74
Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91
Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78
Egypt Cairo $0.65
Nigeria Lagos $0.38
Venezuela Caracas $0.12

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 10:42 PM

It's not so much what we pay vs. what they pay, but the rapid fluctuations. Most of their cost is due to taxes, so I bet their prices are a lot less volatile percentage-wise.

Solution? Raise the gasoline tax! :texan:

OU-HSV
2/20/2008, 10:53 PM
Yep, I'm a draftsman. I help design pipelines, pump stations and so on for my company. So it's job security for me as well I'd say.
However it is frustrating as hell for gas to be 2.69 to 2.79 and the next day 2.99. Cause we all know what's next. We're bout to break 3.00/gallon in the next few days.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 10:56 PM
You know what I like? Somebody introduced a bill into the Oklahoma legislature that would give the oil industry a tax credit in order to "protect" it. Protect it from what? Callouses from counting all that money? :rolleyes:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 11:01 PM
If you want to go after an industry that makes lots of money percentage-wise with very little risk why not rail against the Banking industry and credit cards and banking fees? They make a hell of a lot more money percentage-wise with very little risk compared to Oil's high risks and high project costs vs. the profit they make.

OU-HSV
2/20/2008, 11:02 PM
actually, a lot of refineries in the states are upgrading capacity, running new lines, my friends have work out the tail, and more working they're constantly bidding on.........
Exactly what's happening. Keeps me busy at work.

most of europe - closer to double what we pay...so more like they pay for 2 litres what we pay per gallon....
Exactly, it's been sky high in France a long time. We've been lucky. I just hate how it seems they're trying to catch us up to France's and other area's prices in such a short time span.

SoonerKnight
2/21/2008, 12:36 AM
If you want to go after an industry that makes lots of money percentage-wise with very little risk why not rail against the Banking industry and credit cards and banking fees? They make a hell of a lot more money percentage-wise with very little risk compared to Oil's high risks and high project costs vs. the profit they make.
:confused:

What High Risk? Everyone who drives needs gas. Gas comes from Oil therefore the market is there. CC require a person to make the payments along with all the loans that the banks shell out. People lose jobs=no money no payments. I bet they still pay for gas though!!! High Risk!!! :rolleyes:

yermom
2/21/2008, 03:03 AM

they are a bunch of asshats too

i can't complain too much though, i may have used $5 in gas this week

Ike
2/21/2008, 04:01 AM
If you're sick of paying at the pump, consider this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE2Yd-pTS-s&feature=related

http://www.teslamotors.com/

The base price is only 98 grand....

SicEmBaylor
2/21/2008, 04:29 AM
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?...NOW....I DON'T MEAN ANY DISCUSSION PANELS OR FORUMS!!!!!!
STEROIDS THEY USE!

How about you start up your own oil and gas company and then you can charge whatever the hell you want. Leave business to business.

sooner n houston
2/21/2008, 07:48 AM
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

You better pray they don't do anything "about it". Last time "they" tried that "we" got to sit in long lines to buy gas, when you could find any!

soonerbrat
2/21/2008, 08:40 AM
STEROIDS THEY USE!

oh, and by the way. ride the bus. YW.

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 09:02 AM

What High Risk? Everyone who drives needs gas. Gas comes from Oil therefore the market is there. CC require a person to make the payments along with all the loans that the banks shell out. People lose jobs=no money no payments. I bet they still pay for gas though!!! High Risk!!! :rolleyes:

since you have no idea how much exploration costs, how much a platform costs, how much it costs to build or just install that peice of equipment, what it takes to run a pipeline across the seabed, then send divers or rov's to inspect it to you know, make sure it's not leaking ****ing oil. Just an FYI, but one block in the gulf can cost several billion just to lease, put a platform in, put the wells in and run the pipelines to it. That's not operating costs, that just start up costs. Deep sea capable drill ships, cost over $200 million construct. Prices on this equipment is only going up to, because labor is becoming more expensive since the few shipyards capable of building this equipment are already beyond capacity. It's a 2 year backlog to have platforms, or drill ships manufactured out of Korea.

in short, go drink a can of shut the **** up

Jerk
2/21/2008, 09:14 AM

You are smart enough to realize that, just because you spend several million dollars to drill a deep hole in the ground, that there is no guarantee that you're going to find oil?

OUDoc
2/21/2008, 09:22 AM
Ike! Find us a cheap alternative energy source and get back to me. No later than Tuesday, if you don't mind.

There, you guys happy now?

And big oil is a bunch of asshats. Gas probably went up because some CEO wants his pipes cleaned.;)

Jerk
2/21/2008, 09:23 AM
How much does 'Big Oil' profit from a gallon of gasoline?

How much does the government tax a gallon of gasoline?

Vaevictis
2/21/2008, 09:31 AM
I don't think there's a damned thing we can do about rising oil prices. I expect oil production ramps up roughly linearly at best, but China and other emerging markets are growing exponentially.

Oil prices are going up, and they're going to continue going up until the emerging markets stop growing so fast or we find serious alternatives.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/21/2008, 09:43 AM
Poor DBrown.

OUDoc
2/21/2008, 09:44 AM
How much does 'Big Oil' profit from a gallon of gasoline?

How much does the government tax a gallon of gasoline?
Both, to the tune of $billions/year.

Edit: not per gallon obviously.

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 10:01 AM
hmmm, yet oil was making very little money less then a decade ago, or did folks from oklahoma forget about the crash?

also, any fields found now, are a good 2+ years from any sort of development, it takes time to ramp up new fields

besides, the US is the largest oil consumer in the world using like 1/4 of oil consumed each day

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 10:02 AM
oh, and the worst part about the price of gas, if you really want something to bitch about

the government makes more money off a gallon of gas, then an independant gas station makes

BigRedJed
2/21/2008, 10:05 AM
Move closer to your job. Find services such as grocery stores, doc's offices, etc., close to your new house. Buy a scooter and ride it on nice days.

YWIA.

Osce0la
2/21/2008, 10:12 AM
And we would like you to keep buying those big *** SUV's. Also make sure you drive at least 15 mph over the posted speed limit at all times.
Thanks again.
I tried that...It got me a speeding ticket :mad:

Oh, and since I was in the car we had just bought 2 days before, my insurance papers were somewhere in the trunk of the car with all the other crap we pulled out of the old car, so I also got a ticket for no insurance (granted I will get that one thrown out, but still...).

Ike
2/21/2008, 11:35 AM
Ike! Find us a cheap alternative energy source and get back to me. No later than Tuesday, if you don't mind.

There, you guys happy now?

And big oil is a bunch of asshats. Gas probably went up because some CEO wants his pipes cleaned.;)

Plan A: Find an old beater with a still decent suspension, but not much in the way of an engine. buy for a few hundred dollars. Remove engine, gas tank, radiator. Buy an electric motor, lots of batteries, and a controller module for a few thousand (5000 to 20000 depending on how much power and range you want). Install them into car. Presto, electric car for approximately 5-20 grand.

Plan B: Find someone who has already enacted plan A and is willing to sell.
You'd be surprised, but with some searching you can find an electric car that will meet most peoples daily driving needs for the same price or less as a new car would cost. They aren't the kind of car you take across the country...but they most certainly are the kind of car you might use to drive to work every day.

Mixer!
2/21/2008, 11:41 AM
It's a 2 year backlog to have platforms, or drill ships manufactured out of Korea.
Seriously, Korea? :eek:

What happened to all the American shipyards?

Mongo
2/21/2008, 11:42 AM
Seriously, Korea? :eek:

What happened to all the American shipyards?

we are Imperialists, we use our shipyards to construct war machines

soonerboomer93
2/21/2008, 11:43 AM
they can do topsides no problem, they can do certain platform types, no problem

there's a reason the 5 largest shipyards in the world are in Korea, the top ones crank out a ship atleast 1 time a week

Mixer!
2/21/2008, 11:57 AM
That's a bit depressing to think that Norfolk or San Diego don't do that anymore.

yermom
2/21/2008, 12:10 PM
Plan A: Find an old beater with a still decent suspension, but not much in the way of an engine. buy for a few hundred dollars. Remove engine, gas tank, radiator. Buy an electric motor, lots of batteries, and a controller module for a few thousand (5000 to 20000 depending on how much power and range you want). Install them into car. Presto, electric car for approximately 5-20 grand.

Plan B: Find someone who has already enacted plan A and is willing to sell.
You'd be surprised, but with some searching you can find an electric car that will meet most peoples daily driving needs for the same price or less as a new car would cost. They aren't the kind of car you take across the country...but they most certainly are the kind of car you might use to drive to work every day.

i saw a link on digg a while back someone converted a Geo Metro i think for about $600 including the car. it seems like it was pretty low-end on performance though

would get me to work though...

EDIT: http://ecomodder.com/blog/2008/01/30/a-672-electric-car/

TUSooner
2/21/2008, 12:14 PM
The President should set mandatory gas prices at 33 cents per gallon like it used to be. Then everyone will be happy.
The end.

Ike
2/21/2008, 01:23 PM
i saw a link on digg a while back someone converted a Geo Metro i think for about $600 including the car. it seems like it was pretty low-end on performance though

would get me to work though...

EDIT: http://ecomodder.com/blog/2008/01/30/a-672-electric-car/

I was looking at things like this not long ago. I ran across several people who had taken old 80's cars (the most common were Porsche's and light trucks), stripped out the engines and loaded the sucker with batteries and moderately powerful electric motors...The results being cars that could get as high as 90 mph or so, and at cruising speeds of around 50 mph, get between 20 and 50 miles on a charge...

In the articles/models I saw, the owners had usually dumped between 10 and 15 grand on the car. Including buying the car itself.

When you think about it, thats really not a bad deal.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/21/2008, 01:30 PM

You're joking, right?

High risks, try sinking 5-6 Billion dollars into a project that may take 4-5 years to bring something out of the ground, try working in a country where your 6 Billion dollar asset is at risk of being nationalized and you lose your investment, try working in the arctic where a project is probably 12-15 Billion because of the harshness of the climate, try working in an undeclared war zone - the Niger Delta, where you have to hire a militia force to protect your assets and people. I don't hear the banks having to deal with that.

yermom
2/21/2008, 03:36 PM
i'll shed tears for your "risks" when they aren't making record profits and raising prices when a camel farts somewhere in the desert

comparing to banks isn't going to get much sympathy anyway, what's next Phillip Morris?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/21/2008, 03:42 PM
i'll shed tears for your "risks" when they aren't making record profits and raising prices when a camel farts somewhere in the desert

And Big Oil is responsible for gas prices going up when camel farts how?

I agree with you, but any competent oil analyst would say that the "true" price of oil is in the neighborhood of $55-65/barrel. The rest is true speculation pumped up by the crazy commodity traders. A pox on traders I say.

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2008, 04:14 PM
While we're at it, I'd like electricity to be free.

And BTW, the profit margin for oil companies is about right in line with others at 8%. I wish anytime the media reported on, say, ExxonMobil's quarterly earnings, they'd include how much it cost the company to make their 11 billion. Not to mention, the amount of taxes they had to pay to Uncle Sam.

Credit Card companies? Well, there's a special place in hell reserved for quite a number of them, IMO.