PDA

View Full Version : crawfish. Dresden junkie.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 11:35 AM
Dude, have you read book 9, White Night?

crawfish
2/20/2008, 11:58 AM
Yep.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 12:21 PM
ok were you as ticked about the whole Lasciel deal as I was? so now she's just gone...man, I was digging all the possibilities she presented him.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2008, 12:36 PM
She ain't gone.

She's been redeemed. At least that's my theory. She made a self-sacrificing gesture out of love and has redeemed herself from damnation. She'll show up later to help Harry out.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 12:44 PM
I thought that too, but when he said he'd called the Father to come and pick up the blackened Denaruis, I'm not sure how he will get her back unless the shadow isn't a part of LAsciel anymore, sort of a splintered off piece of the fallen angel with all the experience and power to offer harry. Now THAT would be sweet as ****.....dude could seriously lay waste to some stuff with her help

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2008, 12:48 PM
But he never said Lasciel was still in the Denarius anymore. I dunno, I've been able to predict Butcher's plot twists pretty well so far, so here's what I'm thinking is going to happen: Dresden has redeemed Lasciel, effectively destroying one of the Order of the Blackened Denarius. He takes up the Sword of the Cross left in his care as he's proven himself worthy of it. Lasciel becomes his angelic guide that tells him where he needs to be. We already know one of the Sword of the Cross three was possessed by one of the Blackened Denarius-is it possible that all of them had been at some point and redeemed their own demons? We don't know HOW Michael gets his orders...

OCUDad
2/20/2008, 12:52 PM
You two need to go find a room.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 12:53 PM
nerds

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2008, 12:59 PM
dangit . . . I need to go buy these books.

proud gonzo
2/20/2008, 01:01 PM
haha! it's all secretified.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 01:04 PM
I'm with you Froz, I think that's the reason he hasn't found a home for the other sword yet....it has just always seemed like it was going to find a way to be harrys. I also think that was alluded to in this last book during the discussion Harry had with Luccio about why she had not made him a sword, and then also when he talked about Ramirez' sword during the battle and how it worked against magic as well. I agree with you, I think he takes it up at some point. I also think Molly becomes pretty powerful herself.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2008, 01:05 PM
I ain't hiding any more posts. :D

Butcher is building towards Harry becoming the Blackstaff.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 01:08 PM
Ya think?

surely not. I just can't see that happening at all. Given his distrust of the council as it is, I just can't see him becoming their killing machine. He's always refused to kill humans as it is, unless they just happened to get in the way. And they made it pretty clear that Ebenezer had killed some innocents in the name of the council.

I just don't see it.

crawfish
2/20/2008, 01:10 PM
Wow...go to lunch, and nothing else to add. :D

I think Mike's got it right.

I also may need to re-read them to refresh my memory. I've read about a dozen books since then...

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2008, 01:17 PM
Ya think?

surely not. I just can't see that happening at all. Given his distrust of the council as it is, I just can't see him becoming their killing machine. He's always refused to kill humans as it is, unless they just happened to get in the way. And they made it pretty clear that Ebenezer had killed some innocents in the name of the council.

I just don't see it.

Who better to be exempt from the law than one who holds it in highest regard?

My only question is whether Ebenezer becomes the Merlin and appoints Harry as Blackstaff or someone else does it.

crawfish
2/20/2008, 01:22 PM
Who better to be exempt from the law than one who holds it in highest regard?

My only question is whether Ebenezer becomes the Merlin and appoints Harry as Blackstaff or someone else does it.

So...how many books before Harry is the Merlin?

I'm really trying to remember the last book better...they are fun to read, but slip from my mind pretty quickly. Lots of stupid fun. :)

StoopTroup
2/20/2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for spoiling my next read. ;)

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 02:51 PM
I still just don't see that progression. It was so much that it caused a HUGE rift between Harry and Eb...

Not saying you are wrong, but I just can't see that. I can see the complete disbanding of the white council though.

crawfish
2/20/2008, 02:53 PM
Well...the next book, Small Favor, is out in April, so we'll see. Or not. :)

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2008, 03:14 PM
I still just don't see that progression. It was so much that it caused a HUGE rift between Harry and Eb...

Not saying you are wrong, but I just can't see that. I can see the complete disbanding of the white council though.

Well, yeah. It's a pretty common plot device that you rebel against your father figure then come to realize that what they did was necessary.

Butcher does nothing if not use common plot devices. That's not a criticism of his writing, by the way. Not everyone can be O. Henry. Butcher writes serviceable prose with coherent plotting and good characterization, which is superior to about 60% of working authors anymore.

C&CDean
2/20/2008, 03:26 PM
On a completely different note, I finally picked up the first Odd Thomas book and read it on the airplane last week. I was down with it...........until Koontz had the whole "vicious attacking coyotes snarling/dripping saliva off wicked fangs" horse**** that sent the whole thing spiraling into stupidity. Now I can go for somebody seeing/talking/etc. with the dead, but I've been around coyotes all my life, and they don't sneak up and attack people. EVAR.

So I haven't decided yet if I'm gonna pick up Brother Odd or the other one (can't remember the name) yet.

OU4LIFE
2/20/2008, 03:53 PM
Deaner, Brother Odd is worth the read.

Rogue
2/20/2008, 06:59 PM
One of you d00ds turned me on to Dresden. I've enjoyed it as good escapism.
I say he's much more likely to be the black staff than either merlin or a sword cross d00d

I still haven't caught the show(s) and I look forward to it. I just hope the sarcasm doesn't come off as too lame.

OU4LIFE
2/21/2008, 08:23 AM
avoid the show at all costs.

just sayin.

all it will do is **** you off.

and I think it's twice as likely that he takes up the sword of the cross instead of the blackstaff thingy.

in fact, I think he'll retire and move to maui with Karrin and the vampire Rodrigues and spend the rest of his life having vampire threesome sex.

wait...I think that's a different book...

crawfish
2/21/2008, 10:23 AM
One of you d00ds turned me on to Dresden. I've enjoyed it as good escapism.
I say he's much more likely to be the black staff than either merlin or a sword cross d00d

I still haven't caught the show(s) and I look forward to it. I just hope the sarcasm doesn't come off as too lame.

They decided that sarcasm wasn't in the best interests of the show. Or humor.

Seriously.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

OU4LIFE
2/21/2008, 10:38 AM
yeah the show is definitely NOT numba.one

texas bandman
2/21/2008, 10:48 AM
I just discovered these books over Christmas break and am only on book 6. Work just takes up too d@mn much of my time. Luckily spring break is only 3 weeks away!