PDA

View Full Version : The OU Basketball Experience

okienole3
2/20/2008, 12:24 AM
It has been said time and time again, but the atmosphere at the LNC has been ruined. I remember a time when there wasn't a sponsor for every TV timeout. I remember a time when we didn't need some bafoon with a microphone telling us to get loud. I remember a time when Roland Barrett would run around the arena to get the crowd pumped up. I remember Top Daug. I remember when there actually was a crowd. Unfortunately those days are long since gone. Now, as if it weren't bad enough, we have the Yellow Shirt Gestapo blocking the lower level and preventing true fans from getting closer to the action. The experience just isn't the same. Something has got to be changed. Fortunately, I saw a ray of hope tonight. During the overtime period, especially during the free throws, the crowd was just about as loud as I have ever heard it. I think there is a small contingent of true fans that know, understand and enjoy the game. I expect this small group to continue to grow, if this program keeps moving in the direction I think it is. To all those that want to jump on the bandwagon, come on, we'd love to have you. I think as the crowds grow, so will too the atmosphere. I think that we can take back the experience and drowned out all the corporate nonsense.

Collier11
2/20/2008, 12:32 AM
what would be logical is if someone made a poll on here proposing "realistic" changes to help the experience and get fans to the games and after everyone has voted and we have a majority couple of answers, send it to Joe C. The only thing that will ever change anything is if we make it known, just griping doesnt do anything. If we want a better experience we have to demand it!!!

Ash
2/20/2008, 12:50 AM
I agree with much of okienole's post, but sponsors are a necessary evil. Things cost money.

soonerguild
2/20/2008, 01:27 AM
Well the most obvious is to build a new arena. It would attract more people, plain and simple. But the reason the crowds at these games suck is because of the season ticket holders. Those are the seats that are consistantly not filled. We need to remodel our season ticket policy and not give points to football holders for better texas tickets for donating and buying basketball tickets. I might be crazy but I honestly think there are enough people that care, they just don't have season tickets. We should make an attendance policy and sell tickets to people who will show up. I know this, we make enough from football that I wish we would just make it cheap and easy like woman's basketball and get it full.

BOOMER SOONER

OUSKINS
2/20/2008, 08:07 AM
I tend to side with guild on this issue.

Honestly, I love the GAME so much that the "extra" things really don't register with me anyway. Is some of it annoying? Yes. But, in the end, I'm there to watch a basketball game, and if they want to do stupid things during timeouts and at halftime, then I honestly don't really care. To me, the "experience" is all about the action on the floor. The other stuff is trivial, IMO.

I do agree that our ticket policy needs reworking. I think guild said it best when he used the word "easy." Getting tickets is a real pain in the arse. I have season tickets, and I was curious about upgrading this year, but it was kind of a convuluted process, so I just said "forget it" and kept my current seats.

I'm in the minority-- an OU fan who is a MUCH bigger hoops fan than football fan. And it isn't because I don't like the sport of football-- check my user name and blog (the Redskins and the NFL were my first love). But I think tonight showed there are plenty of fans that actually care-- that's one good thing about smaller crowds-- those who do show up generally really want to be there :)

BTW... the new intro video they busted out tonight was really cool-- a big improvement. Loved the "Sooner Magic" comment from Capel.

Boomer.....
2/20/2008, 08:25 AM
The crowd did seem loud and rowdy late in the game. Overall, I would say it was a pretty good crowd. Hopefully they will continue to sell the $10 tickets.

NormanPride
2/20/2008, 11:06 AM
I was amazed, watching the replays, that the crowd was THAT rowdy. Even the older people were on their feet yelling, and the students were quite literally jumping up and down. It looked like a madhouse! That's the kind of spirit football games get, and it's the kind of spirit basketball games need to get.

Boomer.....
2/20/2008, 11:17 AM
"It was louder in here than I've ever heard it since I've been here. We were very fortunate, lucky, whatever you want to call it," Capel said.

Jeopardude
2/20/2008, 11:35 AM
The football tie-in to season tickets is a killer for sure.

But WHERE ARE THE STUDENTS? The CrimZone on the east side looked pathetic. Empty seats all around the student seats. The students who were there were great-- taunting #50 and getting rowdy.

I think there'll be some tipping point with Capel Ball where it's considered a fun, fun place and we can talk about it without comparing it to football. But until then, Joe C should tell the YSG to chill out and be grateful they have a job where they can make people's visit enjoyable.

msteudem
2/20/2008, 12:06 PM
Last night was pretty awesome! The noise level was deafening at the end of the game. I just couldn't understand why so many fans were leaving early. There was a mass exodus at 4 mins left to go in regulation and then at the end of regulation. And what confused me most was when people were leaving with a minute left in overtime. All I can say is they all missed out on one of the most amazing endings in OU basketball history.

Boomer.....
2/20/2008, 12:12 PM
Their loss.

tdsooner1321
2/20/2008, 12:29 PM
For those that don't know after the first tv timeout, the yellow shirts will let you move down to the lower sections. (at least the ones on the north end will. ) We move down almost every game.

KentuckySooner
2/20/2008, 12:41 PM
I just want to say something to those people who can go but choose not to...you are crazy! I wish so badly that I could attend a game. Watching this team play their guts out is simply amazing. To all of you who do get to...you have new clue how jealous I am. People here in Lexington love UK basketball...they have no clue how much more exciting SOONER Basketball is.

BOOMER SOONER!

bri
2/20/2008, 12:46 PM
Well the most obvious is to build a new arena. It would attract more people, plain and simple. But the reason the crowds at these games suck is because of the season ticket holders. Those are the seats that are consistantly not filled. We need to remodel our season ticket policy and not give points to football holders for better texas tickets for donating and buying basketball tickets. I might be crazy but I honestly think there are enough people that care, they just don't have season tickets. We should make an attendance policy and sell tickets to people who will show up. I know this, we make enough from football that I wish we would just make it cheap and easy like woman's basketball and get it full.

Great idea; it'll never happen. All Joe C. cares about is that the tickets get bought and he gets the money. After that, who gives a good damn if they show up or not?

Collier11
2/20/2008, 12:49 PM
To all of you who do get to...you have new clue how jealous I am. People here in Lexington love UK basketball...they have no clue how much more exciting SOONER Basketball is.

BOOMER SOONER!

Exactly, because SFA > Gardner Webb :D

Seriously though, I do need to start going more...I love Coach Capel and it would be a treat to see Griffin before he turns Pro! You all realize that if this fresh pg is half the player he is supposed to be and Griffin comes back, we may have a Top 10 team next year.

PG: Johnson
SG: Crocker
SF: Griffin
F: Wright
PF: Griffin

Bench:

Warren
Davis
Neysmith
Leary
Gerber
OTHER incoming freshman :D

Collier11
2/20/2008, 12:50 PM
After that, who gives a good damn if they show up or not?

The players and coaches

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 01:56 PM
I remember...

Do you remember me? I guess I couldn't do the "OKLAHOMA" cheer today...

THA

okienole3
2/20/2008, 04:31 PM
Do you remember me? I guess I couldn't do the "OKLAHOMA" cheer today...

THA

huh?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 05:09 PM
huh?

If you are going huh? then you don't remember the guy from 1979 until 1982 on the Lloyd Noble ledge spelling out OKLAHOMA and cheering the guys on and having LNC cheering in unison. I was nicknamed - among other things - The Human Alphabet. Drunk, leatherlung, a-hole, etc. also come to mind...;)

Did the cheer for like 4 years til I graduated, then someone else tried to do it, but it wasn't the same.

NormanPride
2/20/2008, 05:22 PM
Kind of like the guy that starts the "OSU Sucks!" chant in section 23?

Flying Scotsman
2/20/2008, 06:04 PM
But they do. Right?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2008, 10:57 PM
Kind of like the guy that starts the "OSU Sucks!" chant in section 23?

Don't know who that is, but I was always family time. with my O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A chant..;) Had interviews by BBS at halftime of a Big 8 game of the week...
I was always row 1 LW3 or LW4

Soonerus
2/20/2008, 11:00 PM
Wiat until next year when we have a good team, you will see the crowds back...

Sooner24
2/21/2008, 12:24 AM
Don't know who that is, but I was always family time. with my O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A chant..;) Had interviews by BBS at halftime of a Big 8 game of the week...
I was always row 1 LW3 or LW4

Were you that rather....large fellow that jumped on on the ledge and did that in the mid 80's or early 90's?

My memory is not so good as the years have all started to run together. :O

Blue
2/21/2008, 03:24 AM
Wiat until next year when we have a good team, you will see the crowds back...

we have a good team this year.

Soonerfan88
2/21/2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure what is up with the yellow-shirted Gestapo, but they won't even let STUDENTS down into the STUDENT SECTION if they aren't already seated 15-20 minutes before the game - even if there are seats available.

The largest problem is the empty seats in the lower level. And if you or anyone you know thinks that buying basketball season tickets helps you get better football seats or RRS tickets, you're all misinformed.

Buying season tickets to any sport is worth one (1) priority point, no matter how many seats you get. So, if you buy 2 men's bball season tickets in the lower level @ $490 ea....you get 1 priority point for your money ($980). And it's only good for the year you purchase - don't renew your tickets, lose the single point. If you add $20 to that ($1000) and contribute it directly to the Sooner Club, you get 3000 points the year of donation and 1000 points every year after.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/21/2008, 10:15 PM
Were you that rather....large fellow that jumped on on the ledge and did that in the mid 80's or early 90's?

My memory is not so good as the years have all started to run together. :O

Yes and with my red beard. No beard today, but still rather large...;) Only if it was someone in the mid 80s, he was copying me. There was a person who tried to do it, but it wasn't the same as the original - ME! As I sadi earlier, I did it from 1979 to 1982 Dave Bliss and Tubbs eras.

Sooner24
2/22/2008, 02:51 PM
Yes and with my red beard. No beard today, but still rather large...;) Only if it was someone in the mid 80s, he was copying me. There was a person who tried to do it, but it wasn't the same as the original - ME! As I sadi earlier, I did it from 1979 to 1982 Dave Bliss and Tubbs eras.

Yep I remember you. My attending mens games has dropped off the last several years but from 1980 - 2004 I was a regular.