PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be seeing a former Sooner Friday/Saturday night

The Maestro
2/19/2008, 02:24 PM
I got a call from a long, lost friend last week...former OU assistant hoops coach, Bob Hoffman, who was a longtime coach at OBU when they were dominant and I was fortunate enough to do play by play for them for ten years.

Well, Hoffman is now the coach of the NBDL team, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers from south Texas. They are in their first year as a team. They had a conflict with their radio guy so I am going from Phoenix to Albuquerque Friday to do their games on the radio Friday night and Saturday night.

I knew nothing about the teams, but I have been doing some research on them and discovered that Quannas White is their starting point guard. Kevin Bookout had been on the team for awhile, but isn't anymore.

Darvin Ham from Texas Tech and Kevin Pitsnogle from WVU are on the Albuquerque team. Should be interesting to get back on the radio...I haven't done play by play for five years or so, but should be fun.

I'll tell Quannas you all said hi!

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 03:23 PM
Good luck..

What years were you doing OBU play by play?

The Maestro
2/19/2008, 05:08 PM
Good luck..

What years were you doing OBU play by play?

1993ish through 2001ish...I can't remember when it ended, but I saw some dang good basketball. Lucky timing on my part, but SAC hoops was awesome back in those days.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 05:15 PM
I guess you were there when my boy Quinn Woolridge was hooping it up. We grew up together and went to the same camps..He went up there and I went to play at Eastern.

OUmillenium
2/20/2008, 10:15 AM
Hoffman, Quanas and the team practiced at our freshman gym about a month ago when they were in town to play the 66ers. Hoffman's a great guy and Quanas was very cordial as well.

Our head coach is former OBU player Clay Martin so that's how the connection was made for them to shoot around at our place.

The Maestro
2/20/2008, 01:50 PM
Quinn, Clay...I know all those guys. I got to call Quinn's game winning three as a freshman against Oklahoma City that was an incredible game and earned him the nickname, "The Mighty Quinn".

As for Clay, that's my boy. Great freaking guy and was the replay official for the OU-Tulsa game this year. He's doing a great job at Jenks.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 03:21 PM
Cool..I ll tell Quinn I talked to ya next time I see him..