PDA

View Full Version : MBA/undergrad degree from the same school...

OUAndy1807
2/19/2008, 12:24 PM
I have been bull****ting about getting my MBA in a professional MBA program (read: part-time) for a while. I've looked at internet courses from legit schools (Drexel, Indiana, CSU, ASU, Florida, etc...) and they are all 2 to 5 times as expensive as OU. I work on OU's campus and live in the city, so I could easily take classes at either the main campus or Santa Fe.

All other things being equal (which I know they're not, but it's close) is it worth it to pay more for a MBA from a different school? Will that ever be a knock on me for future employers that both degrees are from OU? My undergrad was not in the business college, but it is a business oriented degree.

King Crimson
2/19/2008, 12:30 PM
i don't think so. my dad went to OU undergrad, law school and has an MBA from OU. he did real well in the AT&T buyout of Dobson. no one asked him about the "same school".

i wouldn't pay more.

royalfan5
2/19/2008, 12:30 PM
I've always thought academic inbreeding was more an issue if you wanted to go into academia. But then again, my MBA is from a different school as my undergrad degree.

OUDoc
2/19/2008, 12:32 PM
I went to both OU undergrad and medical school and I rarely kill anyone anymore.

Beef
2/19/2008, 12:36 PM
I went to both OU undergrad and medical school and I rarely kill anyone anymore.
How drab.

King Crimson
2/19/2008, 12:38 PM
I've always thought academic inbreeding was more an issue if you wanted to go into academia. But then again, my MBA is from a different school as my undergrad degree.

schools generally don't hire their own PhD's. that's pretty much all there is to the inbreeding argument. but, it does happen from time to time.

royalfan5
2/19/2008, 01:46 PM
schools generally don't hire their own PhD's. that's pretty much all there is to the inbreeding argument. but, it does happen from time to time.
Which explains why most the Ag Econ faculty here are Iowa State Alums.

Whet
2/19/2008, 02:29 PM

Check out:
ROBERT C. KNOX, Ph.D., P.E.
Director
Ted A. Kritikos Professor

RESEARCH INTERESTS:
Subsurface transport and fate processes, ground water remediation technologies, ground water modeling, impacts of petroleum hydrocarbons and oilfield brines.
EDUCATION :
B.S., Civil Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 1978
M.S., Civil Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 1979
Ph.D., Civil Engineering, University of Oklahoma, 1983
CONTACT INFORMATION :
EMAIL : [email protected]
PHONE : (405)325-5911
FAX : (405)325-4217
MAILING ADDRESS :

School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science
University of Oklahoma
202 W. Boyd St., Room 334
Norman, OK 73019-1024

No, it doesn't matter if your degrees are from the same school! Probably, in 10 years, no one will care where you graduated...