PDA

View Full Version : Home Warranty?

Rogue
2/18/2008, 02:25 PM
We used to have one with "American Home Shield." Worked well, $30 for about anything that went wrong. Their website is kaput. Anyone know of good companies or those to avoid?

usmc-sooner
2/18/2008, 02:31 PM
We used to have one with "American Home Shield." Worked well, $30 for about anything that went wrong. Their website is kaput. Anyone know of good companies or those to avoid?

as a vet you should have access to USAA insurance, they are pretty good.

Rogue
2/18/2008, 02:39 PM
as a vet you should have access to USAA insurance, they are pretty good.

Pretty good?! They're the best. Alas, I'm not active duty or a retiree so I can't get USAA. I found a link to AHS again...interviewing them now.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/18/2008, 02:52 PM
I have had AHS for several years. The service people are hit or miss. I need to pull my file, but there is a plumber and a garage door repair company they contract with that they know not to send again.

A home warranty is a great thing if you live in an old house. My stove and oven are original to the house (ca 1962) so I keep waiting for them to quit so I can get new stuff.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/18/2008, 03:07 PM
I just bought all new stuff and was told to go with Home Shield. Let me know what you find out

OUDoc
2/18/2008, 03:13 PM
The only one I had refused to fix the A/C in our new house. We told them to eat **** the next time renewal came up.
Good luck.

usmc-sooner
2/18/2008, 03:39 PM
Pretty good?! They're the best. Alas, I'm not active duty or a retiree so I can't get USAA. I found a link to AHS again...interviewing them now.

yes you can, unless you cancelled and stayed cancelled for over 6 months

Boomer.....
2/18/2008, 04:10 PM
Web site seems to work for me.

http://www.ahswarranty.com/index.jsp

Boomer.....
2/18/2008, 04:11 PM
We currently have a contract with AHS, but the "deductable" is $55.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/18/2008, 05:27 PM
self insure baby!

SoonerBorn68
2/18/2008, 05:30 PM
Avoid Durr Home Warranty. We're having lots of trouble with them right now.

trwxxa
2/18/2008, 06:03 PM
We used AHS for four years after we moved into our current home. No real problems except they used ARS in Houston for HVAC stuff and ARS would always upsell us. In the end, we came out ahead every year and anyone buying a used home needs this coverage

We switched to USAA this year just because we use them for so many other things. Haven't had to use them, yet.

Rogue
2/18/2008, 07:35 PM
I was never insured with USAA, does this mean I can start with them now, many years after my discharge?

So far, if USAA is out, we're going with AHS. I tried them and 1st American. Both have extra charges if your A/C is separate from your heat pump (mine isn't). The service call with 1st Am. is $55. I didn't like their phone service at all and got lost in the system several times just trying to ask about a policy.

Both answered their service call line quickly (within one minute) and AHS has an online service request which some people might like. Looks like we're going with the $356/year ($29.66/mo) basic plan with $60 service call fees. They also have some sort of wholesale price deal for members who need new appliances, whether those appliances are covered or not. Our washer and dryer are old, but probably not worth an extra $20/mo to cover.

It'll just be a relief to have one again. So far everything in our house is in good shape, but if something big goes kablooie I'll have this extra peace of mind.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/18/2008, 07:37 PM
AHS internet service site sucked the one time I used it, FWIW.