PDA

View Full Version : Gaylord Family Stadium

SteelClip49
2/17/2008, 12:58 PM
I know there is already a thread similar to what I am about to say and combine it if you want, but do you think there is anyone out there that will donate more money, if possible, than the Gaylord Family and have a different name put on it?

Gaylord is in Oklahoma, Gaylord is on the stadium, Gaylord Hotels in Tennessee and also the title sponsor of the Music City Bowl, Gaylord in other areas of Tennessee, Gaylord in Texas, blah blah blah....sorry if I am disrespecting anyone here that has any positive associations with the Gaylords but damn, when you really think of the overall name of our stadium, it's just BLAH.

At least we don't have a stadium named for a company like the professional venues do. I know some college football and basketball venues are named after companies because they need the attention or whatever they can get. But having Gaylord just isn't right, imo as some of you agree and even disagree.

Some have said or still just continue to refer it as Owen Field because that is where the game is at and Oklahoma Memorial Stadium where the fans and players gather for some football.

There was one post about respecting, paying homage to the veterans of war who have made our lives great and free.

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium is the perfect name and to me it will always be Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, unless I am live in the air in the future or doing a live standup for my local newscast I will have to refer to ir by its actual name.

University of Michigan (Michigan Stadium) and Ohio State University (Ohio Stadium).....says it all right there, Two powerhouse traditional programs and no one has touched the naming rights of the two landmark stadiums.

I know it's too late with the name engraved in our stadium, but in all seriousness Gaylord's, leave Oklahoma Football alone. We all know you have money, own resprts, hotels, have highways named for you, The Oklahoman and are a title sponsor for the Music City Bowl but please leave Oklahoma Memorial Stadium alone. Oklahoma MEMORIAL Stadium pays tribute to former Sooners past, present and future; fans past, present and future; and to our American heroes that lost their lives and heroes that have fought and lived to tell us about it today.

God Bless and bring on some damn football!!!

Flagstaffsooner
2/17/2008, 01:02 PM
I don't like it either but it could be worse.....

http://www.wyokies.com/Images/wyogame/wyoosu03%20035.jpg

SteelClip49
2/17/2008, 01:16 PM
The adventures of Gay & Boone....ugh.

Yeah it could be worse, you are right but obviously it's another example of greed and whatever else. Boone did donate all that money and stuff and obviously should have his name on something but I think it would be nice to refer to Oklahoma State's stadium as Pat Jones Stadium or Pat Jones Field.
At least name it for someone who actually made an impact in football. I know Oklahoma State doesn't have a lot fo brag about but still, respect the few that made fans awe.

goingoneight
2/17/2008, 02:11 PM
Booger Pickin' Stadium

Joe InJail Field... aka Former Sooner Stadium

:D

Soonersince57
2/17/2008, 02:50 PM
What did the Gaylord's give? About $15 million or so? This for a stadium that to rebuild might cost $300 million at least. It's unfortunate, but common practice on many campuses for an individual to donate 10% or so of the costs of a building, taxpayers or students pay the rest, and then the original donor gets his name on the building.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 03:30 PM
On a previous sf board, under a previous name (soonercody) I remember when we had a whole area designated to rant and rave about the name change. I indullged for several weeks/months about it. Still ****es me off. But you are several years late. :mad:

SicEmBaylor
2/17/2008, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure what is worse in a stadium name, Boone Pickens or Floyd Casey. I guess in both cases the name fits the school, but I hate it.

By the way, isn't memorial still the name of the field itself?

Rogue
2/17/2008, 03:34 PM
By the way, isn't memorial still the name of the field itself?

Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
Owen Field

SicEmBaylor
2/17/2008, 03:41 PM
Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
Owen Field
Oh that's right, Owen Field. I should have remembered that.

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 03:44 PM
I don't believe that you are in a journalism school. Your post is difficult to read for one and you are just pulling things out of your butt.

The Gaylord Family has been donating money to OU for years. They did not ask that their name be put on the stadium. That was something the University and Athletics Department did to say thank you. If anyone thinks that all that family has given to the University and to the Athletics Department is $15MM, you are sorely mistaken.

Bring it up with Boren and Joe C. if you don't like it.

For the record, I don't know any Gaylords and really don't like their paper but they have done some great things for OU.

freshchris05
2/17/2008, 04:08 PM
Gaylord Fockers...

usmc-sooner
2/17/2008, 04:18 PM
isn't this rant a little late

freshchris05
2/17/2008, 04:28 PM
isn't this rant a little late

heh..

shhh... :D

just watch

Jimminy Crimson
2/17/2008, 04:33 PM
I don't know what the current tally is, but I believe they've given upwards of $50MM to OU.

And like 1TC said, the name was done by OU to honor them, they didn't ask/demand their name be on the stadium.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 04:55 PM
Well, I can't resist. If you think OU renamed the stadium just to say "thanks" I'll sell you a bridge. That's nice PR-speak for the truth which is probably that the money wouldn't come without the name addition.

No, I wasn't there and don't know this to be fact. Just common sense.

I still think it's disrespectful to the WWI vets and all who gave their life in service to our country that the name honored. Now it honors some rich d00ds that are generous to our school and team. Nice, but not the same in terms of intent or values.

stoopified
2/17/2008, 05:07 PM
While I appreciate all that the Gaylord family has done for OU I still say that the blood equity of the veterans for whom Memorial Stadium was named trumps ANY monetary gifts by ANYONE.If it is true(and I believe it is)that this was done without request from the Gaylord Family,the Gaylords should ask the original name be restored.

I have said since this name change occurred that namimg the new upper deck or the parking garage/plaza for the Gaylords is fine but to rename the stadium is an injustice to OUr veterans IMHO.

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 05:10 PM
Well, I can't resist. If you think OU renamed the stadium just to say "thanks" I'll sell you a bridge. That's nice PR-speak for the truth which is probably that the money wouldn't come without the name addition.

No, I wasn't there and don't know this to be fact. Just common sense.

I still think it's disrespectful to the WWI vets and all who gave their life in service to our country that the name honored. Now it honors some rich d00ds that are generous to our school and team. Nice, but not the same in terms of intent or values.
Your common sense is off. Thats as nice as I can put it.

The name is Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Still honoring the vets.

IronSooner
2/17/2008, 06:55 PM

The name is Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Still honoring the vets.

It's still a joke. If the Gaylords really wanted to come off as generous and not self-serving, they'd have asked for a plaque somewhere noting their donation. Whether or not Boren offered, that's the right thing to do. Calling attention (especially of that profile) to a gift you give, of any sort, to anyone, runs counter to the idea of giving. Rather than pure giving it becomes giving + advertising.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 07:11 PM

Your opinion about my common sense is off according to my opinion. ;)

The "honor" to the vets is subjugated to the "honor" to the donors. It was offensive when it happened and it's just as much of a disgrace now. It's a freaking war memorial. It was dedicated and everything. You just don't get to go adding your name to memorials without it ****ing me off.

Jimminy Crimson
2/17/2008, 09:09 PM
Well, at least there is an actual 'memorial' now. I know the structure itself is the memorial, but having a place where each and every fallen Sooner is honored is pretty darn cool. As far as I know, there wasn't a plaque or any such remembrance of those Sooners who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Kels
2/17/2008, 09:38 PM
Pretty funny how people who haven't given $50+ million to the university are giving their opinion as if they had.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 10:19 PM
Pretty funny how people who haven't given $50+ million to the university are giving their opinion as if they had.

[Pesci voice]Funny how, funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to amuse you?[/Pesci voice]

I give opinion like I have given exactly what I have. And it's worth about as much as my dog's or Gaylord M. Focker's or Donald Trump's.

Tell ya what, I don't have 50 million. I'm a patriotic vet and an alum. Is my opinion worth less because I didn't donate "$50+ million"?

Rogue
2/17/2008, 10:27 PM
Linkage to some stadium history. (http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Big12/Oklahoma/)

The very first game actually played at the stadium site was on October 20, 1923, before the stadium/union plan ever got under way. The field was later named Owen Field after Owen, who coached the Sooners from 1905-26 and became a charter member of the National Football Hall of Fame. In 1925, the first contest was played in from of the new stands on the west side of the field. The 16,000-seat stadium cost approximately $293,000 and was named Oklahoma Memorial Stadium to honor University-associated persons who died in World War I.

by Justin Noel Shimko - Daily Staff Writer
September 12, 2002
...David L. Boren said the change was a way to honor Edward L. Gaylord and his family for the more than $50 million they have donated to OU.

Before the name change could be presented, however, the Gaylord family made some requests about the stadium. They did not want to have any commercial enterprises be a part of the name, such as Gaylord Entertainment Stadium. The name Owen Field, the playing field, could not be altered, nor could Oklahoma Memorial Stadium be removed from the new name.

The last request the Gaylord family made was to use part of their $12 million donation to build a monument to all OU students, faculty and staff who have died while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Boren said the donations the Gaylord family has made have gone almost unnoticed, as the family made many of the donations anonymously.
...Joe Castiglione, OU athletic director, said all the student athletes are grateful for the donation, and said he was grateful for the monument.

"We are very pleased that for the first time, there will be a monument on the grounds of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium that will carry the individual names of those being honored," Castiglione said.

...Alex Yaffe, UOSA president, said the new name is not to diminish tradition, but to thank the Gaylord family and add more tradition to the university.

"They have been a friend to higher education," Yaffe said. "There's no denying that."...

Sounds like some just accept the PR. I don't and others don't. It's controversial which means there is disagreement. Not facts or data...lots of opinions and value judgments.

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 10:32 PM
Sounds like you just think something and are trying to argue your thought with someone that knows something.

It's really that simple.

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:33 PM
It seems that everything today is up for sale. We have family names on alot of our facilities like the Lloyd Noble Center, the Gaylord Family/Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. While other facilities were named after former greats who played at OU like L Dale Mitchell Park.

The Gaylords have their name on the Journalism Building, OU needs to buck up and ask the Gaylords if the stadium name can go back to Memorial Stadium and if need be, return the money that was given to the Univ. for naming rights.

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2008, 10:33 PM
I petition that here at soonerfans, we raise enough money ourselves to donate to the football program, then we can name it whatever the heck we want! :D

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 10:35 PM
Well, what do you suggest renaming the Lloyd Noble Center? We named the Natural History Museum after his son, there's also the Samuel Roberts Noble Microbiology building named after Lloyd's dad.

Which one gets to keep it's name?

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:39 PM
I'm just saying that OU is in the business of seeling buildings if the $$ is right. I wouldn't rename the LNC, but I would the fotball stadium because I just don't like the Gaylrd family or their political views.

The Noble's are very noble people. Genereous to a fault, but they aren't throwing there weight around in Oklahoma like the Gaylord's do.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 10:41 PM
Sounds like you just think something and are trying to argue your thought with someone that knows something.

It's really that simple.

Really? And here I thought that I thought something and was arguing with others who thought something different. I didn't realize you had the inside track on the truth 1TC. :rolleyes:

Which one gets to keep it's name? I'm thinking the one that had a name already. The one that was dedicated in honor of some other folk who gave much earlier and, to my way of thinking, much more. That's the one I think should have kept its name.

MyT Oklahoma
2/17/2008, 10:41 PM
To each his/her own but our stadium will always be "the snake pit" to me.

P.S. "Throw me in the pit Sir."

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 10:42 PM
well, now you know.

Rogue
2/17/2008, 10:44 PM
well, now you know.
:D

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:47 PM
Rogue, is the gaylord name on anything at Vanderbilt Univ. or just in country music blds and hotels?

It's not called "The Gaylord Family Grand Ole Opry" is it?

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:49 PM
And it shoudn't be called "The Gaylord Family/Oklahoma Memorial Stadium'

Rogue
2/17/2008, 10:54 PM
Rogue, is the gaylord name on anything at Vanderbilt Univ. or just in country music blds and hotels?

It's not called "The Gaylord Family Grand Ole Opry" is it?

Heh. Not that I know of. Yet. The Opry's still the Opry and Vandy is still named for the first rich family that built it. That would be "The Gaylord Entertainment Megaplex at Opryland" and "The Gaylord Hospitality Institute of Higher Learning at Nashville - Vanderbilt Campus." :D

Re: the Gaylords - I'm happy for them and their benefactors when they donate and name things all over the place. God bless 'em for doing good things for communities with their wealth. The decision to rename Oklahoma Memorial Stadium still seems like a mistake to me though. And, despite the popular version of the story, I don't think it was just gratitude on OU's part that prompted the change.

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:58 PM
Maybe it's OU way of thanking the DO for not abusng them during tough times and during skuttlebutt stuff.

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2008, 10:58 PM
It would be nice if ESPN and the like, I doubt the Daily Oklahoman would, would just refer to our stadium as Memorial Stadium or just call it Owen Field during broadcasts and in print.

SOONER STEAKER
2/17/2008, 10:59 PM
It would be nice if ESPN and the like, I doubt the Daily Oklahoman would, would just refer to our stadium as Memorial Stadium or just call it Owen Field during broadcasts and in print.

Start the petition to ESPN, bet you'd get more names than ESPN would want to count.

Kels
2/18/2008, 10:22 AM
[Pesci voice]Funny how, funny like a clown? I amuse you? I'm here to amuse you?[/Pesci voice]

I give opinion like I have given exactly what I have. And it's worth about as much as my dog's or Gaylord M. Focker's or Donald Trump's.

Tell ya what, I don't have 50 million. I'm a patriotic vet and an alum. Is my opinion worth less because I didn't donate "$50+ million"?

Yes, in practical reality it is. Yet you opine as if it does. Henceforth, why I think it's funny.

Irony

n., pl. -nies.

The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect.

Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: “Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated” (Richard Kain).
An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity.
Dramatic irony.
Socratic irony.

MichiganSooner
2/18/2008, 11:45 AM
I say we do what was suggested on another post and nickname it the Woodshed.

bluedogok
2/18/2008, 10:40 PM
It seems that everything today is up for sale. We have family names on alot of our facilities like the Lloyd Noble Center, the Gaylord Family/Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. While other facilities were named after former greats who played at OU like L Dale Mitchell Park.

The Gaylords have their name on the Journalism Building, OU needs to buck up and ask the Gaylords if the stadium name can go back to Memorial Stadium and if need be, return the money that was given to the Univ. for naming rights.
Most of the buildings on every campus have been named after benefactors and that goes way back, it is not a new practice. The Gaylord's donated a large amount towards the construction of the new journalism building and that was a separate gift. The Gaylord Family has also donated to OCU and Oklahoma Christian.

What's done is done, if you had a gripe y'all should have organized some opposition when it happened, not five and a half years after the fact when nothing is going to be done about it. I don't have a problem with it as it is just the way things are now, I still just call it Owen Field and everyone knows what I am talking about.

goingoneight
2/18/2008, 11:50 PM
People are just whiny because it's "Gaylord." I don't think I'd be asking someone to scratch their name off anything with the $$$ they give to OU. It could be worse, we could name it after a former player of OUr arch rival.

freshchris05
2/18/2008, 11:55 PM
People are just whiny because it's "Gaylord." I don't think I'd be asking someone to scratch their name off anything with the $$$ they give to OU. It could be worse, we could name it after a former player of OUr arch rival.

http://www.darrellroyal.org/darrell2004.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/bc/Album_Four_225.jpg/511px-Album_Four_225.jpg

freshchris05
2/19/2008, 12:04 AM
on a side note.. is it just me or does bud look like a white ray charles in this one??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/Dkr-wilkinson.jpg/250px-Dkr-wilkinson.jpg

http://www.florida-flydrives.com/images/Ray-Charles.jpg

hmm? no? ok.. i guess just me...

A Sooner in Texas
2/19/2008, 11:19 PM
on a side note.. is it just me or does bud look like a white ray charles in this one??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f2/Dkr-wilkinson.jpg/250px-Dkr-wilkinson.jpg

http://www.florida-flydrives.com/images/Ray-Charles.jpg

hmm? no? ok.. i guess just me...

I get a more Men in Black vibe goin' on there. But, J or K????

Soonersince57
2/19/2008, 11:31 PM
Hmmm. Bud Wilkinson Oklahoma Memorial Stadium has a pretty good ring to it.

TexasBoomer
2/20/2008, 12:49 PM
I don't believe that you are in a journalism school. Your post is difficult to read for one and you are just pulling things out of your butt.

The Gaylord Family has been donating money to OU for years. They did not ask that their name be put on the stadium. That was something the University and Athletics Department did to say thank you. If anyone thinks that all that family has given to the University and to the Athletics Department is $15MM, you are sorely mistaken.

Bring it up with Boren and Joe C. if you don't like it.

For the record, I don't know any Gaylords and really don't like their paper but they have done some great things for OU.

Finally someone gave credit where due. The Gaylords have supported OU longer than I can remember - before my Bud years. They deserve to have the name on whatever at OU. Knowing some of the family in the past I'm sure the idea wasn't - Gaylord is great name in Oklahoma and it'e nice that they share their wealth with OU as well as others.

soonerloyal
2/22/2008, 10:19 PM
Bottom line - if the Gaylord family really didn't give a shi* about it, they'd have insisted it NOT be added - and their wishes would have been granted, bank on it.

SCREW the Gaylords and their donations. It's all about the Benjamins, and Boren laid down wearing a lace nightie and loved it. Any other explanation is full of crap.

For anyone who isn't a whore for the Gaylords and any other big-name-no-account - it will always be OKLAHOMA MEMORIAL STADIUM. The men and women who bled and DIED for their country - and for Oklahoma - are the TRUE namesakes of our beloved playing area.

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2008, 12:31 PM
Rather than pure giving it becomes giving + advertising.

Using that logic, shouldn't all gifts be anonymous?

Leroy Lizard
2/24/2008, 12:34 PM
SCREW the Gaylords and their donations.

So take their money, then tell them to bugger off.

For all the money they have given OU, renaming a stadium seems like a small and inexpensive way to thank them for their generosity. Otherwise, give the money back.

Soonersince57
2/24/2008, 05:22 PM
We should all have Gay Lord stamped on our head since they have done so much for Oklahoma. :D