PDA

View Full Version : 7 people dead in drag racing accident

Jerk
2/16/2008, 08:03 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330892,00.html

ACCOKEEK, Md. — Police in Maryland say seven people have been killed by a car that apparently plowed into a crowd gathered to watch a drag race.

One officer says the carnage on Route 210 in Accokeek early Saturday is "probably one of the worst scenes I've seen." Police say four more victims have been taken to hospitals. Their condition isn't known. Police say the car apparently went out of control around 3:40 a.m. and hit people standing on the roadside and several other vehicles. One of them was a tractor-trailer. Accokeek is about 20 miles from Washington and 55 miles from Baltimore.

yermom
2/16/2008, 11:39 AM
this is what drag strips are for...

not everyone has Thunder Valley ~10 minutes away though

OklaPony
2/16/2008, 04:41 PM
This wasn't a drag race, it was an illegal street race. I saw that on Yahoo this morning and fired off a couple of emails to Yahoo and AP asking them to change the story accordingly. They haven't changed the headline but the words "illegal street race" are definitely in the story now.

That's why you take it to the track.

Blue
2/16/2008, 04:58 PM
Some dude that died was like 60 years old. Dude, what are you doing at 3 in the morning on the side of the road watching the fast and the furious?

OCUDad
2/16/2008, 05:15 PM
This wasn't a drag race, it was an illegal street race. I saw that on Yahoo this morning and fired off a couple of emails to Yahoo and AP asking them to change the story accordingly. They haven't changed the headline but the words "illegal street race" are definitely in the story now.

That's why you take it to the track. December 24, 2007:
I actually wrote a message to KOTV when I saw this yesterday. The headline on their version of the story read "Attorney Dead After Late Night Drag Race". This may seem like a minor point to most but as an avid fan and occasional particpant in actual drag racing, I pointed out to them that this was not drag racing, but illegal street racing. I haven't heard back from them yet and the fuggers haven't changed the headline, either.This distinction is really important to you, isn't it?

Just askin'.

OklaPony
2/16/2008, 06:18 PM
December 24, 2007: This distinction is really important to you, isn't it?

Just askin'.
Good memory, OCUDad. Yes, it definitely is. It's one of those things that really wears on me. Most people don't know or understand the difference until (or unless) it's pointed out to them. As it turns out, the Yahoo (AP) story headline has been changed. I'm guessing that there were several others that brought this to their attention (or maybe they just fear the Sooner! :D ). The Fox headline and byline for the story that's quoted by Jerk in the original post has now been changed as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/drag_racing_deaths;_ylt=AtCmC_aeTB7qf3knwNcXJ0ms0N UE

Newbomb Turk
2/16/2008, 06:23 PM
Pony, not saying you're wrong for wanting it corrected, but I can tell the difference when I read the story.

yermom
2/16/2008, 06:32 PM
yeah, but the headline makes it sound like it was some organized drag race like NHRA or something, which makes drag racing sound dangerous. not everyone is going to read the story

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 06:42 PM
Some dude that died was like 60 years old. Dude, what are you doing at 3 in the morning on the side of the road watching the fast and the furious?Drankin a 40, kickin it with his hoes?

OklaPony
2/17/2008, 11:01 AM
Pony, not saying you're wrong for wanting it corrected, but I can tell the difference when I read the story.
Of course YOU can recognize the difference. Anyone with the stones to pee in a punch bowl should be able to do so. :D

Out of curiosity, did you read it before or after the copy and titles were changed from "drag racing" to "street racing"?

yeah, but the headline makes it sound like it was some organized drag race like NHRA or something, which makes drag racing sound dangerous. not everyone is going to read the story
Exactly.

OklaPony
2/17/2008, 11:03 AM
oops... double post

Newbomb Turk
2/17/2008, 11:55 AM
Of course YOU can recognize the difference. Anyone with the stones to pee in a punch bowl should be able to do so. :D

well done! :D

Out of curiosity, did you read it before or after the copy and titles were changed from "drag racing" to "street racing"?

I believe it said drag racing when I read it. I honestly didn't think of a race track accident when I read the headline. I figured it was a street race.

KABOOKIE
2/17/2008, 11:59 AM
1TC likes to go to drag shows all the time.

Whet
2/17/2008, 02:15 PM
This just goes to show we need more stringent car ownership laws in this country! Anyone can go out and buy one of these killing machines!

We need to stricly limit the purchase and use of cars! Cars are involved in 100% of car accidents with victims of injury or death!!!

(sick humor)