PDA

View Full Version : I CALL SHENANIGANS

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:07 AM
The Shell station at the corner of Boyd and Classen is crooked. First of all, I'm doing pay-at-the-pump, and as soon as I select the grade (but before I even touch the pump handle) I've been charged 3 cents. WTF? I cancelled the transaction right away, but according to the receipt I've been charged. Has anybody ever seen anything like that? Again, I never even touched he pump handle. I went inside to tell the cashiers about it, and they were indifferent at best. First they'll all "it's only 3 cents" (that's not the point), and then it's "well what do you want us to do about it?" Oh well, they can fight it out with Visa now because I'm going to dispute that charge.

This next thing is what really ****es me off, though. I probably should have just left, but I was in a hurry so I tried again. I was only expecting it to take 5 gallons at most to fill the tank, but it took more than 6. That translates to only 20 MPG since my last fill-up. It's only been that low one time before, and that was a long time ago before the car was broken in. I don't think I've gone below 25 MPG in years, so today is a definite outlier. This was only half a tank, and all stop-and-go Norman driving, so maybe it was just a bad three weeks, but I'm suspicious that the counter on the pump was off--either by accident or design. How hard would it be for the station owner to rig the pumps to show that you pumped more gas than you actually did?

Should I call the Corporation Commission or whoever and tell them that something is up at that station, or am I just overreacting?

Mjcpr
2/16/2008, 12:11 AM
You know what ****es me off? When that leave a penny, take a penny thing is empty and I have to pony it up myself.

**** 'em. I just tell 'em I don't have it and they can come get it if they want it bad enough. Then I just leave.

Whet
2/16/2008, 12:14 AM
Oh, yes that can be done - and is done by some! Contact the CC and file a complaint.

Curly Bill
2/16/2008, 12:16 AM
I'd complain as high up as I could go...you'll feel better.

1stTimeCaller
I'd have gone down swinging

SicEmBaylor
There was a story here in Texas late last year of a gas station ripping people off by charging a few more cents per gallon.

I always pump 1 gallon exactly and make sure the cost matches up with the listed price -- just to be sure.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:18 AM
Oh, yes that can be done - and is done by some! Contact the CC and file a complaint.

If it was just the three cents, or just the extra gallon, I would thought "that's weird". But the combination makes me wonder if they've been screwing with the pump.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:20 AM
There was a story here in Texas late last year of a gas station ripping people off by charging a few more cents per gallon.

I always pump 1 gallon exactly and make sure the cost matches up with the listed price -- just to be sure.

Or you could divide the total number of gallons on the receipt by the total price...which I always do. :O

GottaHavePride
2/16/2008, 12:20 AM
I like the stations where when you put the filler into your gas tank, and lift the handle, and all the prices on the grades of gas disappear before you select one, so that all the screens are blank when you're picking the grade of gas. And of course the most expensive grade is in the middle, not on the right.

Makes no difference to me, because I'm selecting based on octane, but it's a good way to rip off dumb people.

Mjcpr
2/16/2008, 12:22 AM
What's up with the 9/10 of a cent on the gas price?

I always pay about 11 cents less because I tell them to **** off, I round down.

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 12:24 AM
Or you could divide the total number of gallons on the receipt by the total price...which I always do. :O
I suck at the maths.

GottaHavePride
2/16/2008, 12:24 AM

Wait a minute. So you compare by gallons per dollar? ;)

OUbones
2/16/2008, 12:25 AM
You know what ****es me off? When that leave a penny, take a penny thing is empty and I have to pony it up myself.

**** 'em. I just tell 'em I don't have it and they can come get it if they want it bad enough. Then I just leave.

I can't wait to try that.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:28 AM
Wait a minute. So you compare by gallons per dollar? ;)

Yes, it keeps everything normalized between 0 and 1 so as to minimize floating point errors. :cool:

Whet
2/16/2008, 12:29 AM
The "pumps" are controlled electronically, rather than mechanically. So, with some reprogramming, it can be fixed to do whatever. Some can even control when the pump deviates or is normal.

That is why state inspectors sometimes visit gas stations undercover, otherwise, the operator will flip the switch to make the pump work legit.

.... Some of the brand corportations put speciall locks on the pumps to prevent modification to the electronics.

yermom
2/16/2008, 12:32 AM
you should charge them as many .03 transactions as you can ;)

GottaHavePride
2/16/2008, 12:37 AM
bwahaha.

I know a guy that used to work at that station, you want I should ask him if it's shady?

That station is usually 3 to 5 cents higher than anywhere else in Norman anyway.

yermom
2/16/2008, 12:39 AM
i tend to avoid Shell. it basically started when they ****ed up their additives and were burning out gas gauges or something. that and they seem to be more expensive. i think they are just above (or is it below?) CITGO on my list

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:40 AM
I know a guy that used to work at that station, you want I should ask him if it's shady?

Sure, why not?

That station is usually 3 to 5 cents higher than anywhere else in Norman anyway.

I checked gasbuddy.com, and they were in the middle today. I usually go to the east side Homeland nee Albertson's, but I haven't been over that way lately.

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 12:41 AM
i tend to avoid Shell. it basically started when they ****ed up their additives and were burning out gas gauges or something. that and they seem to be more expensive. i think they are just above (or is it below?) CITGO on my list

My grandmother gets royalty checks from Shell. Please support Shell and continue to support me.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:43 AM
My grandmother gets royalty checks from Shell.

I hate the Dutch.

And people who are intolerant.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 12:44 AM
doesn't Texaco own Shell nowadays? Or does Shell own Texaco?

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:48 AM
doesn't Texaco own Shell nowadays? Or does Shell own Texaco?

Chevron and Texaco are related somehow.

Mjcpr
2/16/2008, 12:49 AM
I think they are like retarded 3rd cousins.

yermom
2/16/2008, 12:52 AM
i'm pretty sure Shell acquired Texaco a few years ago

and SicEm, i think oil stock holders are about in the same boat as politicians when it comes to me wanting them to get any more of my money

next, i think i'll give Bill Gates a dollar

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 12:53 AM

and SicEm, i think oil stock holders are about in the same boat as politicians when it comes to me wanting them to get any more of my money

She's not a stock holder -- she owns a bunch of mineral rights.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 12:53 AM
Chevron and Texaco are related somehow.
like a twister mat party at Howzit's house

Under the terms of the proposed order, the combined Chevron/Texaco would be required to divest all of Texaco's interests in two joint ventures, Equilon Enterprises, LLC (Equilon), which is currently owned by Texaco and Shell Oil Company (Shell), and Motiva Enterprises, LLC (Motiva), which is currently owned by Shell, Texaco, and Saudi Refining, Inc. (SRI). Outside "the Alliance" defined by these two joint ventures, Texaco would be required to divest assets including its one-third interest in the Discovery natural gas pipeline system in the Gulf of Mexico; its interest in the Enterprise fractionating (raw mix separation) plant in Mont Belvieu, Texas; and its general aviation businesses in 14 states. The proposed agreement also contains a Hold Separate Order that would require the companies to maintain certain assets as viable and competitive businesses pending their divestiture.

yermom
2/16/2008, 12:54 AM

ok, oil people then :D

no offense to your granny, i mean other than raising aggies, i'm sure she's a nice lady

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 12:55 AM
ok, oil people then :D
Come on...SicEm needs a new car!

yermom
2/16/2008, 12:57 AM
again?

i guess it has been a few months...

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 12:57 AM

That's way worse.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 12:58 AM
That's way worse.
how so?

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 01:09 AM
how so?

I can buy oil stock, but I can't get oil to spring up in my backyard. :D

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 01:11 AM
Come on...SicEm needs a new car!

Your grandmother buys you cars?? So that explains the Beetle. And the Miata. Are the seats covered with doilies or plastic?

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 01:12 AM
I can buy oil stock, but I can't get oil to spring up in my backyard. :D
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/11eba8bd-1724-45b1-9505-84e08317996c_4.jpg

Curly Bill
2/16/2008, 01:15 AM
I got calluses just looking at those things.

Shneeg11
2/16/2008, 02:15 AM
go in there again, buy something and pay them three cents less, then just be like "it's only 3 cents"...

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 02:46 AM
I got calluses just looking at those things.
I told you people, NO MORE PENIS PICS.

Curly Bill
2/16/2008, 02:49 AM
I told you people, NO MORE PENIS PICS.

This would be a lot funnier if the joke was on somebody else. :D

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 02:52 AM
All I know is I stopped at a Texaco in Fort Worth a couple of weeks ago, and when I tried to pay with my Shell fleet card, they acted like they'd never heard of Shell.

:confused:

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 02:53 AM
Sorry Curly Bill. I know that had nothing to do with your penis callouses.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 03:03 AM
psssssssttt Curly Bill owns a vagina not a penis.

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:07 AM
DAMMIT!

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:08 AM
Sorry, Curly Bill. I know that had nothing to do with your vagina callouses.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 03:09 AM
Sorry, Curly Bill. I know that had nothing to do with your vagina callouses.

you gotta be able to touch an edge in order to cause a callous.;)

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:11 AM
That reminds me of a joke, but as drunk as I am I'm STILL not drunk enough to tell it on the board.

Curly Bill
psssssssttt Curly Bill owns a vagina not a penis.

I wish I owned one....

...not my own of course but one I had easy access to. ;)

BigRedJed
However, I am drunk enough to eat an entire can of Pringles.

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 03:12 AM
I wish I owned one....

...not my own of course but one I had easy access to. ;)

I could've sworn someone said you were a chick. I remember thinking that was a strange name for a woman.

My apologies to everyone involved.

I guess you do have penis callouses ;)

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:13 AM
By pure chance and good fortune, they're not the Olestra Pringles. Because I would eat them anyway. That's how drunk I am.

BigRedJed
Eww. Did you just say penis callouses?

1stTimeCaller
However, I am drunk enough to eat an entire can of Pringles.

where'd you go tonight?

Curly Bill
2/16/2008, 03:14 AM
I could've sworn someone said you were a chick. I remember thinking that was a strange name for a woman.

My apologies to everyone involved.

I guess you do have penis callouses ;)

No hard feelings. :mad:

:D

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:17 AM
I'm in Wichitittay. I went to some places in Old Town, 'cause that's where my hotel is. I ended up at apparently the only place in this city that will let you indulge in a fine cigar. Philistines.

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:38 AM
Now I'm working on some Chunky Monkey.

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:38 AM
That didn't sound right.

Jimminy Crimson
2/16/2008, 03:43 AM
Heh.

Here are the e-mail addresses to complain to with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission:

Motor Fuel Complaints: [email protected]

Jim Roth: [email protected]
Bob Anthony & Jeff Cloud don't have theirs listed, but I'd assume they're b.anthony@ and j.cloud@

These last three are just if you feel like complaining EXTRA. I'm sure shooting one off to the main complaint line will get them checked out.

BigRedJed
2/16/2008, 03:57 AM
After reading more of this thead, I'm confused. I've used a fleet card for years. Is gas expensive or something?

:confused:

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2008, 06:31 AM
highly dissapointed in the whole lot of you. Not one Ryan Broyles joke or a Farva "you mean Shennanigans?" reference.

:mad:

colleyvillesooner
2/16/2008, 06:34 AM
I would have ****ed myself if the attendant would have simply replied by yelling my sig at you. :D

jccouger
2/16/2008, 02:48 PM
3 cents...

Mjcpr
2/16/2008, 02:59 PM
Now I'm working on some Chunky Monkey..

I'm in Wichitittay. I went to some places in Old Town, 'cause that's where my hotel is. I ended up at apparently the only place in this city that will let you indulge in a fine cigar. Philistines.
I bet your bref was kickin'.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 03:51 PM
The Shell station at the corner of Boyd and Classen is crooked. First of all, I'm doing pay-at-the-pump, and as soon as I select the grade (but before I even touch the pump handle) I've been charged 3 cents. WTF? I cancelled the transaction right away, but according to the receipt I've been charged. Has anybody ever seen anything like that? Again, I never even touched he pump handle. I went inside to tell the cashiers about it, and they were indifferent at best. First they'll all "it's only 3 cents" (that's not the point), and then it's "well what do you want us to do about it?" Oh well, they can fight it out with Visa now because I'm going to dispute that charge.

This next thing is what really ****es me off, though. I probably should have just left, but I was in a hurry so I tried again. I was only expecting it to take 5 gallons at most to fill the tank, but it took more than 6. That translates to only 20 MPG since my last fill-up. It's only been that low one time before, and that was a long time ago before the car was broken in. I don't think I've gone below 25 MPG in years, so today is a definite outlier. This was only half a tank, and all stop-and-go Norman driving, so maybe it was just a bad three weeks, but I'm suspicious that the counter on the pump was off--either by accident or design. How hard would it be for the station owner to rig the pumps to show that you pumped more gas than you actually did?

Should I call the Corporation Commission or whoever and tell them that something is up at that station, or am I just overreacting?Call Jim Roth at the Corperation Commission.

http://www.occ.state.ok.us/

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 03:53 PM
Heh.

Here are the e-mail addresses to complain to with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission:

Motor Fuel Complaints: [email protected]

Jim Roth: [email protected]
Bob Anthony & Jeff Cloud don't have theirs listed, but I'd assume they're b.anthony@ and j.cloud@

These last three are just if you feel like complaining EXTRA. I'm sure shooting one off to the main complaint line will get them checked out.heh, I didn't see this post before I posted.

You can also go here to just fill out a complaint.

http://www.occ.state.ok.us/Divisions/PST/FUELcomplaints.html

OUAndy1807
2/16/2008, 04:01 PM
fleet cards are the best. they could charge me $30 over and I wouldn't notice.

Also, Jim Roth is a pretty impressive dude.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 05:37 PM
3 cents...

The 3 cents isn't a problem...that's going to be Visa's fight. Being charged for six gallons when it's very unlikely that I could have put more than 5 gallons in is a problem, especially if it was intentional.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 06:15 PM
fleet cards are the best. they could charge me $30 over and I wouldn't notice.

Also, Jim Roth is a pretty impressive dude.For a gay guy? :D

NTTIAWWI

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 06:18 PM
The 3 cents isn't a problem...that's going to be Visa's fight. Being charged for six gallons when it's very unlikely that I could have put more than 5 gallons in is a problem, especially if it was intentional.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Visa when you dispute a 3 cent charge. It'd be classic. You'll be an office story legend.

mdklatt
2/16/2008, 06:24 PM
I'd like to be a fly on the wall at Visa when you dispute a 3 cent charge. It'd be classic. You'll be an office story legend.

I think I can do it online.

Jimminy Crimson
2/16/2008, 06:38 PM
Also, Jim Roth is a pretty imprethive dude

-tte?

1stTimeCaller
2/16/2008, 06:43 PM
you know, $.75 worth of gasoline purchased at another gas station, a glass bottle and an old washcloth would be easier and more fun.

OUAndy1807
2/16/2008, 06:46 PM
I know that you guys are joking, but it does take some balls to be the first openly gay public official in a conservative state. I also think that his priorities are correct when it comes to his public service.

If you ever get a chance to go see the guy speak in person, you should.

SicEmBaylor
2/16/2008, 06:49 PM
Jim Roth is gay?

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 06:49 PM
I know that you guys are joking, but it does take some balls to be the first openly gay public official in a conservative state. I also think that his priorities are correct when it comes to his public service.

If you ever get a chance to go see the guy speak in person, you should.He's a lawyer. Get him off the agenda and on his toes (no pun...) he isn't that good. As great as he could be argued to be, he's still not been challenged on his gayness exept for once by a guy with $2,500 and his name on the ballot in 2006. Remeber, he was in the closet his first race for county commissioner and didn't have any real opponent in his reelection.

Either Republican running against him for CC can beat him.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 06:53 PM
Jim Roth is gay?http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/3bill.jpg

That's what a whole buncha voters are about to say.

bluedogok
2/16/2008, 07:00 PM

Shell acquired most of the Texaco retail outlets during the Chevron/Texaco merger. Since the merger, Shell and Texaco are no longer related....for the most part.

I tend to stop at Valero or Chevron, sometimes Sam's or Costco if there is one in the area.

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 07:07 PM
Shell acquired most of the Texaco retail outlets during the Chevron/Texaco merger. Since the merger, Shell and Texaco are no longer related....for the most part.

I tend to stop at Valero or Chevron, sometimes Sam's or Costco if there is one in the area.Isn't Valero owned by Chavez?

bluedogok
2/16/2008, 07:25 PM
Nope, Citgo is owned by Chavez (Petróleos de Venezuela S.A. Wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr%C3%B3leos_de_Venezuela)).

Valero is based out of San Antonio and is what used to be most of the Total Petroleum assets in the US.

Here is the History fro the Wiki page about them, it seems fairly complete.

Wikipedia - Valero Energy Corporation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valero_Energy_Corporation)
History
Valero was created on January 1, 1980, as a spinoff from the Coastal States Gas Corporation. At the time, it was the largest corporate spinoff in U.S. history. Valero took over the natural gas operations of the LoVaca Gathering Company, a defunct subsidiary of Coastal States Gas. The name Valero comes from Misión San Antonio de Valero, the mission founded in 1718 from which the city of San Antonio started, which is better known worldwide as The Alamo.

The company acquired a small oil refinery in Corpus Christi, Texas, in 1981, and began refining operations in 1984.

In 1997, Valero spun off its refining and retail divisions into a separate company, which kept the Valero name. At the same time, the remaining divisions, which consisted primarily of natural gas operations, were acquired by PG&E. Later that year, Valero acquired Basis Petroleum, which left it with four refineries in Texas and Louisiana.

Valero acquired a Paulsboro, New Jersey, refinery in 1998. This was the company's first refinery outside of the Gulf Coast area.

In 2000, Valero purchased ExxonMobil's Benicia, California, refinery and interests in 350 Exxon-branded service stations in California, mainly in the San Francisco Bay area. The company also began retailing gasoline under the Valero brand. In June 2001, the company acquired the Huntway Refining Company, along with two asphalt plants on the west coast.

On December 31, 2001, Valero completed its acquisition of Ultramar Diamond Shamrock. This merger left Valero with over 4,700 retail sites in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean. With this acquisition, Valero also received ownership of Shamrock Logistics L.P., which was renamed Valero L.P. This limited partnership owns and operates a 7200 mile (11500 km) pipeline network and 57 refined product terminals in the U.S., and is publicly traded (Valero maintained a 13.6 percent indirect interest through Valero GP Holdings, LLC, also publicly traded, which in 2006 it fully divested).

Starting in 2002, Valero has been expanding its marketing to the East Coast, specifically the Northeast and Florida, using the Valero brand.

On April 25, 2005, Valero agreed to buy Premcor, Inc., for 8 billion in cash and stock to become the largest U.S. refiner, as record prices for gasoline and other fuels boost profits.

On June 30, 2005, Valero announced it was beginning a two-year process of converting Diamond Shamrock stations to the Valero brand.

yermom
2/16/2008, 07:29 PM
http://www.ahajokes.com/cartoon/3bill.jpg

That's what a whole buncha voters are about to say.

why should voters care if he's gay?

SanJoaquinSooner
2/16/2008, 07:31 PM
There's a good reason to tell your kids never to go into retail.

yermom
2/16/2008, 07:34 PM
they might turn gay?

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 07:35 PM
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/waiting14_300dpi_1109446267-000.jpg

Big Red Ron
2/16/2008, 07:49 PM
why should voters care if he's gay?Why should we know if they beat their wife or if they go to church? This is reality. His sexual orientation will become an issue because it is who he is. It's up to the voters to decide if it affects their vote.

Jimminy Crimson
2/16/2008, 08:39 PM
Either Republican running against him for CC can beat him.

Yes. I agree.

Sooner_Bob
2/16/2008, 09:11 PM
One day I was at the Kum & Go in Pawhuska getting ready to fill up and the clerk got on the intercom and said "Sir you'll need wait just a minute before you get gas, we need raise the price."

I just left.

Soonerbabeinbama
2/16/2008, 09:25 PM
First of all, yes, you are probably over reacting, but.... it is the suck!! I know you better than anyone on this board MDK and you are ****ed because you have to pay an extra three cents!! Probably no one else would have noticed! Sue them I say - the rat bastages!!;)

usmc-sooner
2/16/2008, 09:30 PM
Jim Roth is gay?

I'll never eat his BBQ again.

mdklatt
2/20/2008, 10:27 PM
Bogus $0.03 charge: REVERSED
Corporation Commission: NOTIFIED

Suck it, Dutch bastards! I still think you owe me at least a gallon. :mad: