PDA

View Full Version : Kinda interesting election blog story

Frozen Sooner
2/15/2008, 08:33 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

February 15, 2008
McCain challenges Obama to keep his word on public financing
Posted: 07:30 PM ET

Sen. McCain challenged his Senate colleague to take public financing.
OSHKOSH, Wisconsin (CNN) – Nearly a year after Barack Obama called on all of his potential general election foes to sign on to a public financing pact, likely GOP nominee John McCain accused the Illinois senator of having a change of heart sparked by his massive fundraising haul.

“It was very clear to me that Sen. Obama had agreed to having public financing of the general election campaign if I did the same thing,” said McCain at a Wisconsin campaign stop Friday. “I made the commitment to the American people that if I were the nominee of my party I would go the route of public financing, I expect Sen. Obama to keep his word to the American people as well.”

Under the agreement, both men would have to forgo private donations entirely in favor of a publicly-funded campaign.

At this point, McCain stands to gain the most from a public financing pledge – Obama has raised nearly three times as much in general election funds. Under the guidelines, both men would be required to return any money they had raised for that contest.

On Friday, Obama seemed to avoid committing to the agreement. "It would be presumptuous of me to start saying now that I'm locking myself into something when I don't even know if the other side is going to agree to it."

Last year, both Obama and his campaign promised to “aggressively pursue” such an agreement with their Republican counterpart. No major party candidate has opted out of the public financing system for the general election since it was created more than three decades ago.

McCain had decided to accept public financing of his primary season campaign last summer – but eventually opted out of the system before accepting funds because it would have limited the amount he would be allowed to spend to $54 million until the Republican Party’s nominating convention this summer.

That scenario promised to seriously handicap his effort if he were to become his party’s nominee and face a well-funded opponent with no spending limits.

Interesting in a couple of different ways:

1. I didn't realize Obama had raised that much more than McCain.
2. I'd kind of like to see a campaign where both candidates spent the same amount.
3. Great opportunity to see if Obama is a man of his word. I believe he is.

Jerk
2/15/2008, 09:02 PM
Even though I am personally very much for McCain, if McCain somehow lost because of his own law, that would be somethin'..

oh! House is on, got to gooooo

Viking Kitten
2/15/2008, 09:04 PM
oh! House is on, got to gooooo

Are you expecting to discover some kind of wierd, obscure alternative diagnosis to your mycoplasma?

Jerk
2/15/2008, 09:10 PM
Are you expecting to discover some kind of wierd, obscure alternative diagnosis to your mycoplasma?

This is a re-run but I only saw the first half last time so now I get to watch the last.

Whet
2/15/2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, Obama could take the public funding, which limits his expenditures, but he also has George Soros to fund the MoveOn.org, America Coming Together, and other 527s that would allow unlimited spending for Obama.