PDA

View Full Version : Most Complete games under Stoops...

Collier11
2/15/2008, 04:13 PM
1. 2000 Game against #1 Neb 31-14

2. Big 12 Title Game-2007 38-17 over #1 Mizzou

3. 2000 Game against #11 Texas 63-14

4. 2002 against #9 Iowa St 49-3

5. Big 12 Title Game 2006- 21-7 over #19 Nebraska

6. 2003 against #11 Texas 65-13

7. 2005 Holiday Bowl 17-14 over #6 Oregon with Stoops worst team since 99

8. 1999 against #13 A&M 51-6

9. 2002 Rose Bowl against #7 Wash St 34-14

10. 2003 77-0 against A&M, would have been higher but they werent that good

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2008, 04:30 PM
I guess by "complete" you mean "well played";)

cuz I'm pretty sure we finished all of them :D

I can't argue much with the list either.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/15/2008, 04:33 PM
The 52-9 spanking of Les Miles would be in my list

Collier11
2/15/2008, 04:36 PM
I guess by "complete" you mean "well played";)

cuz I'm pretty sure we finished all of them :D

I can't argue much with the list either.

Yes but just to explain, by complete I mean the most well played game as a whole.

And I disagree, there have been a few games under Stoops that we really didnt finish :D :(

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2008, 04:37 PM
oh......time ran out alright.......finished or not.

SoonerTerry
2/15/2008, 04:41 PM
10. 2003 77-0 against A&M, would have been higher but they werent that good

Would have and could have been 100 but Stoops called off the dogs.

Collier11
2/15/2008, 04:48 PM

could have been 100 in 3 quarters if we wanted it to be

Vaevictis
2/15/2008, 04:49 PM

More like "affixed a remote control shock collar on the dogs, and dropped 'em like a sack of bricks every time they looked like they were going to cross the line of scrimmage."

Youngsooner
2/15/2008, 04:54 PM
And I disagree, there have been a few games under Stoops that we really didnt finish :D :(

I thought of that too... but i didn't want to say anything :(

TheUnnamedSooner
2/15/2008, 04:58 PM
77-0 You don't get more complete than that

The 2000 nebraska game, though was an incredible game, OU really didn't plaly very well at the beginning of the game being down 14-0. So is that considered complete?

SteelClip49
2/15/2008, 06:25 PM
2002....OU 68 UTEP 0
If I remember correctly. the game was stopped 2 different times because of excessive rain and lightning. That was one of the heaviest downpours I can ever remember.

2004....OU 12 Texas 0
Other than the win over FSU, this would be my next favorite game. Texas was unbelievable and would not lose again until 2006. Oklahoma was not as great as 2003 but 2004 was a year to remember and they did what they had to do to win and that was the game that made AD well known to the entire nation.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/15/2008, 06:28 PM
2002....OU 68 UTEP 0
If I remember correctly. the game was stopped 2 different times because of excessive rain and lightning. That was one of the heaviest downpours I can ever remember.

yup..I got meet Joe C during a rain delay

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2008, 06:39 PM
Playing a "complete" game against a crappy team hardly counts.

If you aren't tested, then you couldn't possibly play a "complete" game.

Newbomb Turk
2/15/2008, 06:43 PM
The 52-9 spanking of Les Miles would be in my list

yep.

edit - nevermind.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/15/2008, 06:43 PM

Hey mister...that team did win a game that year

BoulderSooner79
2/15/2008, 10:52 PM

It's not the winning teams fault if the opponent fails to test them. But I agree it is much more impressive if a game is a real contest because both sides are playing well. I think last seasons 28-21 win over UT was a pretty complete game. The only "hole" was lack of a scheme to cover the UT tight end that was fixed with a half time adjustment. I thought is was the best game of last season.

Collier11
2/15/2008, 10:59 PM
It's not the winning teams fault if the opponent fails to test them. But I agree it is much more impressive if a game is a real contest because both sides are playing well. I think last seasons 28-21 win over UT was a pretty complete game. The only "hole" was lack of a scheme to cover the UT tight end that was fixed with a half time adjustment. I thought is was the best game of last season.

you did watch the Big 12 title game right???

BoulderSooner79
2/15/2008, 11:16 PM
you did watch the Big 12 title game right???

I did and I loved it. But it was all OU after half time and MU didn't have any answers. I was putting the games in the context of having to play a full game against a worthy opponent and finding a way to win. Both UT and OU played well and it went 4 quarters. I don't think OU turned the ball over and the key UT fumble was forced by a great defensive play (i.e. not a mistake). Don't get me wrong - I love a good whippin' applied by the Sooners. But the UT game had me on the edge of my chair the entire game.

meoveryouxinfinity
2/16/2008, 09:05 AM
I did and I loved it. But it was all OU after half time and MU didn't have any answers. I was putting the games in the context of having to play a full game against a worthy opponent and finding a way to win. Both UT and OU played well and it went 4 quarters. I don't think OU turned the ball over and the key UT fumble was forced by a great defensive play (i.e. not a mistake). Don't get me wrong - I love a good whippin' applied by the Sooners. But the UT game had me on the edge of my chair the entire game.
You did watch the Cotton Bowl, right?

sanantoniosooner
2/16/2008, 09:41 AM
The point was that you do what it takes to win. If you can easily defeat a team simple by running up the middle repeatedly then you will do that. You may destroy the team, but it wasn't a "complete" game. I see a complete game as one that forces, or allows, you to use your entire arsenal. Coaching and personnel.

goingoneight
2/17/2008, 02:08 PM
Like Boise State beating us? :O

Salt City Sooner
2/17/2008, 03:22 PM
First game I thought of when I saw the title of this thread was the 2000 win in Manhattan. After a couple of early "feel out the opposition" possessions, OU just proceeded to step on their throats in a place where the Wildcats (a team that the vast majority of OU fans I've talked to feel was the best team we played that year) had won 25 straight games. IIRC, after the scoring started, the only time KSU had the ball with a chance to tie was after Works' INT, & the OU D got a 3 & out there.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/18/2008, 07:47 PM
I'm nominating the 1999 51-6 beatdown of #13-ranked aTm.

In a sense it was just as complete, but far more important than the 77-0 shellacking.

To that point in the season we had largely been showing bits and pieces of improvement, but with mixed results against largely unranked opponents, with the two most important games (unranked ND and 23rd ranked Texas) being losses.

Everyone sat up and took notice at that point. And all of a sudden we looked just a little bit more like Oklahoma. From that point, we still had hiccups against CU and TT, but dominating performances against Mizzou, Iowa State and the LoSuRs. And that was after 4 years of not being capable of dominating Mother Mary's Sisters of the Poor and Blind U.

And now we're getting beaten by the Boise State's of the world. How will this program ever survive? ;)