PDA

View Full Version : Goku goes live!!!

swardboy
2/14/2008, 07:40 PM
'Dragonball' movie set to roll

By Borys Kit
Nov 14, 2007
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/photos/stylus/12980.jpg"Dragonball"

Twentieth Century Fox is finally moving forward with a live-action adaptation of the hugely popular manga "Dragonball," casting the stars of the movie and setting a release date of next summer.

Justin Chatwin is starring as the hero while James Marsters will play the villain in the sci-fi adventure, which will be directed by James Wong. The movie has been penciled in for a worldwide release date of Aug. 15, 2008. Stephen Chow, the filmmaker behind "Kung Fu Hustle" and "Shaolin Soccer," is producing.

"Dragonball" is one of the most successful Japanese cultural exports of all time. The manga, created by Akira Toriyama and published by Tokyo's Jump Comics, was adapted into graphic novels, video games and a phenomenally successful television series that ran in Europe, Asia, Latin America and North America. "Dragonball's" popularity also generated more than $4 billion in merchandising sales. In North America, the property achieved the zenith of its popularity under the name "Dragonball Z."

The story follows an adult humanoid alien named Goku, who discovers that he was sent to Earth to blend in and destroy our population but instead elects to protect it from an oncoming alien onslaught bent on dominating the universe and controlling the mystical objects from which the film takes its name.

Chatwin, who will play Goku, has already begun training under the auspices of stunt performance company 87Eleven, which has executed and designed action pieces in pictures such as "The Matrix," "The Bourne Supremacy," "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" and "300." Marsters is playing the villainous Piccolo.
CM8ShowAd("Middle2");

Wong rewrote the previous draft by Ben Ramsey.

Production begins later this year. Other major roles are currently being cast.

Chatwin, repped by WMA, is best known for his playing Tom Cruise's on in Steven Spielberg's "War of the Worlds."

Marsters is best known for his role as vampire Spike on "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" Piccolo. He is repped by the Kohner Agency and Himber Entertainment

Wong co-wrote and directed "Finale Destination" and "Final Destination 3," and was a writer-exec producer on "The X-Files." He is repped by Endeavor.

BigRedJed
2/14/2008, 07:55 PM
Sometimes I see stuff that makes me think "man, I am so old and out-of-touch." This is one of those times.

silverwheels
2/14/2008, 08:05 PM
My 7-year-old nephew is going to be excited.

SoonerStormchaser
2/14/2008, 08:10 PM
Jeez...it was introduced to Japan TWENTY YEARS AGO!!!

It's like having a live action film of Teddy Ruxpin.

BigRedJed
2/14/2008, 08:11 PM
Yeah, I wasn't living in Japan back then. I was living in murrica.

swardboy
2/14/2008, 08:37 PM
I enjoyed watching it with my then-middle school aged son in the mid to late '90's.

Incredibly slow plot development because it needed a lot of filler to make a complete episode, but I got hooked somehow anyway. I think at one time the dragonball z site was the most "hit" site in the world.

BigRedJed
2/14/2008, 08:43 PM
Hmm. Interesting...

Nope. Still feel old and out-of-touch.

bri
2/15/2008, 11:40 AM
So, they're making a live-action Dragon Ball movie and an animated Star Wars movie? What the f*ck is this, Opposite Day?

NormanPride
2/15/2008, 11:48 AM
I really hope this is the original DragonBall, and not the terrible DragonBall Z. And God help us if it's the abomination unto man DragonBall GT.

soonermix
2/15/2008, 12:04 PM
so are they basically going to do the king piccolo saga or is this supposed to be a new story with piccolo as the villian?

and does that mean no Vegeta?

edit: ok i went to see on imdb and they are not even having krillin what a piece of crap this will be they already f'ed it up

swardboy
2/15/2008, 12:06 PM
I really hope this is the original DragonBall, and not the terrible DragonBall Z. And God help us if it's the abomination unto man DragonBall GT.

Sorry, it's the "Z" edition. I believe it was the most popular one. And you're right about "GT". The thought of Goku going back to his child-age caused me to abandon all interest in further watching the series.

Lord I suck....

swardboy
2/15/2008, 12:09 PM
so are they basically going to do the king piccolo saga or is this supposed to be a new story with piccolo as the villian?

and does that mean no Vegeta?

edit: ok i went to see on imdb and they are not even having krillin what a piece of crap this will be they already f'ed it up

Well, it IS tough to find actors with no nose. But there will be a Bulma...hubba hubba.

NormanPride
2/15/2008, 12:11 PM
Out.

bri
2/15/2008, 12:14 PM

To my credit, I tried to be a good fanboy and watched GT at first. But I quickly realized that, not unlike the Gundam franchise, it's possible to make too many series in a franchise.

And Z rocked my face off. Except for the way they completely made Prince Vegeta worthless by the end. Outside of "Ally to good, nightmare to you", Vegeta had all the swank lines in that series. :D

BigRedJed
2/15/2008, 01:36 PM
OLD!!

soonermix
2/15/2008, 02:11 PM
Well, it IS tough to find actors with no nose. But there will be a Bulma...hubba hubba.

won't it also be hard to find a green dude with pointy ears and antanea sticking out of his head?

BigRedJed
2/15/2008, 02:13 PM
http://www.flaminglips.com/media/film/background/martianWayne.jpg

Edit: DAMMIT!!

BigRedJed
2/15/2008, 02:14 PM
Nope. Not so difficult after all.

swardboy
2/15/2008, 02:34 PM
won't it also be hard to find a green dude with pointy ears and antanea sticking out of his head?

They'll prolly just stick a hangar on top of the green Hulk. Maybe the audience won't notice the ear thing.

skycat
2/15/2008, 02:35 PM
The grunting to dialog ratio in Dragonball Z is off the charts. In a 20 minute episode, 1 minute and 30 seconds of actual stuff just might occur.

Awful, awful stuff.

bri
2/15/2008, 02:44 PM
That's 'cause they were making the manga and the anime at the same time, so Toei had to put in a lot of filler to keep the anime from getting ahead of the manga it was supposed to be taken from. It sucks, yeah, but it always made me laugh.

BigRedJed
2/15/2008, 02:48 PM
Yep, I'm still a creaker.

skycat
2/15/2008, 02:51 PM
With Murder She Wrote and that Andy Grffith lawyer show off the air, what do old people watch these days Jed?

BigRedJed
2/15/2008, 03:00 PM
Reruns of Murder She Wrote and the Andy Griffith lawyer show. Thank goodness for digital cable, and for the young whippersnappers who knew how to hook it up for me.

soonermix
2/15/2008, 03:21 PM
I AM THE PRINCE OF ALL SAIYANS!