PDA

View Full Version : Bob Stoops & The Quest for the Crystal Ball

SteelClip49
2/14/2008, 02:20 PM
the 2000 one is getting more and more lonely. Will 2008 be the best opportuned shot at it? I know that is a comment made every season since but we should win every damn game in 2008.

htownsooner7
2/14/2008, 02:31 PM
Agreed. I don't see a game on the schedule where we aren't favored by at least a touchdown. And that includes the RRS. Of course, it was pretty well set up for us last year as well and it all fell apart. We lost the best defensive player in the conference in Lofton, but that happened to us the year before with Rufus. Someone from the LB crew needs to step up. Much is made about the defensive backfield but I thought as a unit, they underperformed last year anyway. There are a few questions to be answered but the truth of the matter is (according to me at least) is that no team in the country is in a better position than OU to play in the NC in 2008.

Position Limit
2/14/2008, 03:05 PM
indeed. it all sets up this year. if they can get some defensive play, i think it happens.

Collier11
2/14/2008, 03:09 PM
I see Stoops getting as many blowouts as possible this year just to shut people up

sooner94
2/14/2008, 03:11 PM
I think we can make a run next year if some young guys step up on defense and our O-line shows up for every game. And I think both of those things will happen.

We could also make a run in 2009 if we can replace the losses on the O-line after this year.

soonerfan28
2/14/2008, 03:34 PM
Has anyone posted any thoughts on what our starting D will look like next year. Here is mine. D-line stays the same. Thanks to J Williams getting a 6th year. I think Frank Alexander will be in the rotation and maybe Washington if the can get past Davis on the depth chart. Beal is definitely number 3. Weakside LB I think will be Travis Lewis with that speed. I think he's a great fit with the speed he has. I say Reynolds in the middle and Bryant or Box on the strongside. Holmes and Franks at corner with SS going to Sims and Harris at FS. Just a thought.

flopshotjoe99
2/14/2008, 03:48 PM
I see Stoops getting as many blowouts as possible this year just to shut people up

he's too classy to run up the score, but I wouldn't mind for him to hang "half a hundred" on some folks.:cool:

crawfish
2/14/2008, 03:49 PM
Stoops is nothing until he wins three. ;)

primetime43
2/14/2008, 03:55 PM
For us to win the Crystal Ball next year Stoops has to get these kids mentally ready to play on the road. I don't think we really had one quality win on the road last year. Secondly OUr offensive line has to be mentally tough every snap and start playing like they're capable of. Lastly Stoops has to get Keith Nichol some meaningful playing time so we don't have another TT game like last year. And most of all we have to catch some breaks! Its about time for some sooner magic!

arizonasooner
2/14/2008, 03:59 PM
Just score 50 every time out and things will take care of themselves.

MextheBulldog
2/14/2008, 04:02 PM
Just get to texas undefeated. Cincy and TCU are both decent to good teams. And we all know how well this team played on the road last year - so that little trip to Seattle ain't gonna be a walk in the park.

Replacing 7 starters on defense is also a concern, especially early in the season.

Collier11
2/14/2008, 04:08 PM
Has anyone posted any thoughts on what our starting D will look like next year. Here is mine. D-line stays the same. Thanks to J Williams getting a 6th year. I think Frank Alexander will be in the rotation and maybe Washington if the can get past Davis on the depth chart. Beal is definitely number 3. Weakside LB I think will be Travis Lewis with that speed. I think he's a great fit with the speed he has. I say Reynolds in the middle and Bryant or Box on the strongside. Holmes and Franks at corner with SS going to Sims and Harris at FS. Just a thought.

DT: Granger and Bennett/McCoy
DE: Beal and English/Davis
LB: Bryant, Reynolds, Box/Reed
CB: Jackson, Holmes/Franks
NB: Harris
SS: Sims
FS: Harris/ Carter

Collier11
2/14/2008, 04:09 PM
Just get to texas undefeated. Cincy and TCU are both decent to good teams. And we all know how well this team played on the road last year - so that little trip to Seattle ain't gonna be a walk in the park.

Replacing 7 starters on defense is also a concern, especially early in the season.

True but look at all the starters Ohio St lost and they still had a TOp 10 D last year, we just need to get the right guys in the right spots and hope that they dont bust as much as some in the past

bstuff1979
2/14/2008, 04:19 PM
I think the biggest question, at least for me, has to do with the offensive playcalling. The D's play in that game in Jan. is due to two things: Pat White and injuries. So, I'm not all that concerned. The offense did bother me, in particular the lack of variety in the formations. I'm not calling for a wishbone package by any stretch, but something more along the lines of the addition of a 2back shotgun set. The major issue (well, one of the major issues) in that game was the o-tackles getting blown up and blown by. Having a two back set, maybe a rb paired with Eldridge or another back, would help to pick up the blitz without removing the passing threat to the flats or short dump-offs over the middle (a-la Q's "smoke draw"). At least put something in there that would allow for the tight end or slot to go in motion and then to the backfield if need be via-audible. I think the O should be alright and the D will be good but not great, I'm just a little curious as to why this (the notion of adding in something to help with the 30-stack blitz schemes) wasn't done after the Big12 champ. game and before that game. I realize that not everyone runs the 30-stack or blitzes THAT much, but you'd better believe that the new saxet D coordinator (who blitzes and blitzes and then screams BOOM MF'er!) was paying attention.

oupride
2/14/2008, 06:39 PM
the 2000 one is getting more and more lonely. Will 2008 be the best opportuned shot at it? I know that is a comment made every season since but we should win every damn game in 2008.
Yes. That is the answer. Don't get to focused on the NC right now. Had it not been for an Oregon official in 2006 and a QB concussion in 2007, the Sooners would have played in the NC game. I know its been disappointing but look at it this way, sure, we lost 2 games in 2007 and one was without our starting QB. However, LSU lost 2 games too, but both was with their starting QB. Be patient. What goes around, comes around. OU is the most successful football program since World War II. Nuff said. So enjoy it!

KantoSooner
2/14/2008, 06:57 PM
The key thing in my mind is attitude. For some reason, the 2007 team seemed to go flat at critical moments. OU has the sheer athletic talent to stay in the game against anyone, the real issue is whether their intensity level will match that talent.

PLaw
2/14/2008, 07:14 PM

Strength of schedule will absolutely destroy us in the eyes of the voters (not sure if it is still in the computer calcs). Considering our recent BCS results, I've got to believe the only snow balls chance we have is to go undefeated and everybody else have at least one loss. We're not going to get any love from poll voters.

BOOMER

76soonergrad
2/14/2008, 07:24 PM
Strength of schedule will absolutely destroy us in the eyes of the voters (not sure if it is still in the computer calcs). Considering our recent BCS results, I've got to believe the only snow balls chance we have is to go undefeated and everybody else have at least one loss. We're not going to get any love from poll voters.

BOOMER

Agree completely. Plus, what the other poster said about convincing road wins. Preparation. Is it coaching or players. Trickle down effect from one to the other? We get these great recruiting classes pretty much every year. I love the sooners, we don't get the love. 0-4 in BCS is why.

soonerfan28
2/14/2008, 10:29 PM
Who was the team that backed out on OU's schedule this year.

goingoneight
2/14/2008, 10:34 PM
Just score 50 every time out and things will take care of themselves.

Unless you give up 55 in the bowl game... :O

goingoneight
2/14/2008, 10:43 PM
Agree completely. Plus, what the other poster said about convincing road wins. Preparation. Is it coaching or players. Trickle down effect from one to the other? We get these great recruiting classes pretty much every year. I love the sooners, we don't get the love. 0-4 in BCS is why.

Ummm... Stoops has won BCS games before.

OU-HSV
2/14/2008, 10:44 PM
We all seem guilty of saying this same stuff every year. And every year the losses (of which shouldn't have been), hurt more and more. I think the schedule looks favorable every year because we are consistently a national power again, year in and year out. So why not....we ought to win all our games this year and win the BCS championship game. But let's say we don't make it to the big one again. But we make a BCS game....good Lordy we need to come out of that with a W.
I mean sh*t.

(okay I'm done with this rant influenced post now)

Edit: Oh hell, I wasn't done. We need the O-Line to play much more disciplined than last year. Especially the Load. If the O-Line can turn it up one notch, I think with all the "skill" players we have, we should be unstoppable.

birddog
2/14/2008, 10:49 PM
this is the biggest n00b thread i've ever seen.

goingoneight
2/14/2008, 11:05 PM
You obviously haven't seen the hundreds of threads following losses about firing coaches, have ya? ;)

Yes, the schedule looks favorable on paper. What are you gonna do if someone has a Cinderella year on OUr schedule and wipes us out on their way to BCS glory? We don't exactly play well in College Station or Stoolwater and there's no telling what can go wrong along the way.

God forbid, but what if Bradford goes down with an injury like Jason White did in 2001 or 2002? We needed his ability at the QB position both years. Granted, Nate Hybl did good subbing in and out all things considered... but it's pretty obvious that without him we laid an offensive turd against Nebraska and OSU in 2001 and there's only so many concussions a backup QB can sustain before he's off his game as well.

NTM, just when you think something's going to be just dynamite and unstoppable is usually when the biggest problems happen. Remember how the 2006 Sooner defense was supposed to be the best yet under Stoops and arguably the best ever at OU? That defense SUCKED in that respect for a great part of the first five games.
Remember how we kept losing starter after starter after starter and everyone still said we would hang 90 on West Virginia?

We've got the talent for another good run and another solid year and BIG 12 South/BIG 12 Championship... but beyond that we need some serious help. Replacing three early entries along with a bunch of great seniors, trap games, road games, injuries... we're not deep anywhere on defense in my opinion. The defensive line has a nice looking 3 deep, but let's nto forget how often they allowed WAY too much time for the opposition to develop last year.

11-12 win season is a solid prediction for now, if someone told me tomorrow that we'd win the BIG 12 again I wouldn't be shocked at all. Then again if someone from the future told me tomorrow we'd lose a shocker (OSU 2001, TCU 2005, etc.), or that we'd get screwed on the road again (Tech 2005, Oregon 2006) or that we'd just flat out get blasted in another BCS game, I wouldn't be surprised, either. I'd be mad, but not surprised.

Curly Bill
2/14/2008, 11:05 PM
this is the biggest n00b thread i've ever seen.

:D

Vic n Tulsa
2/14/2008, 11:34 PM
Agreed. I don't see a game on the schedule where we aren't favored by at least a touchdown. And that includes the RRS. Of course, it was pretty well set up for us last year as well and it all fell apart. We lost the best defensive player in the conference in Lofton, but that happened to us the year before with Rufus. Someone from the LB crew needs to step up. Much is made about the defensive backfield but I thought as a unit, they underperformed last year anyway. There are a few questions to be answered but the truth of the matter is (according to me at least) is that no team in the country is in a better position than OU to play in the NC in 2008.

So when you flop on your *** again like OU does every year, you can repeat the above while sucking your thumbs and it should make you feel a little better!:texan:

birddog
2/14/2008, 11:39 PM
So when you flop on your *** again like OU does every year, you can repeat the above while sucking your thumbs and it should make you feel a little better!:texan:

damn, you're bored enough to come out of your hole in the off season?

GottaHavePride
2/14/2008, 11:45 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOO!

SUCK IT, POKE!

;)

Crucifax Autumn
2/15/2008, 03:48 AM
In fact....Suck it and get poked!

sooneron
2/15/2008, 09:13 AM
True but look at all the starters Ohio St lost and they still had a TOp 10 D last year, we just need to get the right guys in the right spots and hope that they dont bust as much as some in the past
Name ONE very good offense that tosu played before they got to the nc game.

edit: besides the Illinois team to whom they lost...

oupride
2/15/2008, 09:15 AM

BOOMER
completely agree! SOONER!

sooneron
2/15/2008, 09:22 AM
It beats flopping on our asses 5-6 times a year! That would be awesome!

hellogoodbye
2/15/2008, 10:13 AM

At the very least in the post season. You gotta think that with all the BCS smack that has been (and will be) flying around, it will have some effect to his "call off the dogs" decisionmaking. No mercy.

Tear Down This Wall
2/15/2008, 10:58 AM
Nothing will change and we won't win a national title in 2008.

Again, in the off-season, it was the offense that got a new coach. Nothing was wrong with the offense. That's why Kevin Sumlin was hired by Houston. It's why Chuck Long was hired three years ago at SDSU. The offense is fine.

The defense, on the other hand....

Since Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini left in back-to-back seasons, the secondary has been a crapshoot in big games. But, instead of hiring a secondary coach, Stoops continues to keep BJW as the coach.

Even as we sorely lack getting consistent pressure on opposing QBs, Stoops keeps the real DE coach BJW coaching the secondary, and allows Chris Wilson to continue to do next to nothing with our DEs.

Since nothing was done, again, to correct the situation, expect more of the same in 2008.

Sadly, no one in the Big 12 South will be strong enough to overcome even our shoddy secondary coaching enough to catch us. Our offense will always put up enough points in the Big 12 contests to cover for the endless coverage busts and poor tackling that bites us in the butt during the BCS bowls.

Make your reservations for Glendale now.

bstuff1979
2/15/2008, 11:26 AM
I think the slight panic over the defense is a little premature to say the least. On the whole, the seconday played well enough last year. The problem areas were with the linebacking and safeties communicating on cover 3 zone plays regarding assignments on the tight end. The showed up bigtime against texas. That was the big thing I noticed. Aside from that, the rotating of players (from year to year) from one backfield position to another (corner, to nickle, to safety, and back to corner, and so on. big example being Reggie Smith) can't help. The big thing with a zone D, and I realize that this may be a huge proclamation of the obvious, is that you must get adequate pressure. If you don't, any smart qb, if given the time, will read the coverage and have time to find the holes. When the defense looked good, that was when you heard the name "Austin English" over the PA. Looking at the wv game, a qb like Pat White can create more time in the pocket or on the bootleg. Combine that with the injuries in the secondary and you've got a D that looks much worse than it should be. There aren't any Pat White's in the Big 12, unless Colt McAppleCoy returns to freshman form. The seconday will be fine if the defense finds itself some linebackers. Blame shouldn't be solely placed on the db's. The bowl games aren't some sort of curse, but more of a situation where the team has had bad luck with injuries and, with wv, just matching up against a better team. I think '08 might see a loss or two in the regular season (Kansas and @ AM spook me, as does an early away game against a Wash. team that looks terrible but has a phenomenal QB), but I think it's a little early to start flipping out about another bcs incident or possibly being locked out of the bcs title game via angry voters. Remember, Ohio State is in the same boat. They're also another team with a relatively easy road to a perfect season. Often times, it's an area that's looked over that turns out to be a weakness while the big worries turn out to be just fine. QB last year and in years past (Heupel, White, Thompson all turned out just fine while last year was more than okay) and the defense all stepped up when questioned. The problem areas tend to be perception based because "we", the fans and assumptive experts (myself included), tend to overrate based on past seasons. Of course the secondary will look bad when placed against the Derrick Straights, Roy Williams, and any number of linebackers and interior linemen that helped make them look so good. Obviously I'm avoiding work as this is getting long winded, but I'd say to look out for the run game for a hickup. Senior leadership in that area is gone and the line needs to get quicker to both pick up the blitz and give the coaches a reason to run more counter plays and draws that discourage the blitz. That and the linebacking are my two worries. Not the secondary and certainly not the BCS.

JLEW1818
2/15/2008, 11:41 AM
I think this team will be like the 04-05 team. I don't think we are as good as last year talent wise, but team wise I think we are better this year. If that makes since, its like the 04-05 team has less losses than the 03-04 team, yet the 03-04 team has godly more talent. Anyway I see us going undefeated into the bowl season. I really do, regardless I think Oklahoma football is set for 10+ win season for a long time to come.

JLEW1818
2/15/2008, 11:46 AM
I just dont see an SEC team or a PAC 10 team going undefeated this year, does anybody else???? details.....

JLEW1818
2/15/2008, 11:56 AM
he's too classy to run up the score, but I wouldn't mind for him to hang "half a hundred" on some folks.:cool:

I think he will run up the score on teams, and he's not scared to. It seems like during that 03-04 season he beat the hell out of Atm, Stool water, and of course Texas. But remember what happened the year before, them Aggies beat us as well as Oklahoma state to end are national title hunt, and he beat the hell out of UT just because its them. What I'm trying to say is Texas Tech Watch the hell out this year, your butt whooping is coming soon! Stoops loves Revenge!

SteelClip49
2/15/2008, 01:26 PM
just think jlew, you could have said all that in one post instead of three.

JLEW1818
2/15/2008, 01:29 PM
I know I'm sorry everyone.

Collier11
2/15/2008, 01:34 PM
Name ONE very good offense that tosu played before they got to the nc game.

edit: besides the Illinois team to whom they lost...

I was just stating that they replaced their entire D and were still good, obviously we will be playing better offenses with Cincy, UW, UT, Tech, Okie St, Kst, etc...

Curly Bill
2/15/2008, 02:56 PM
Nothing will change and we won't win a national title in 2008.

Again, in the off-season, it was the offense that got a new coach. Nothing was wrong with the offense. That's why Kevin Sumlin was hired by Houston. It's why Chuck Long was hired three years ago at SDSU. The offense is fine.

The defense, on the other hand....

Since Mike Stoops and Bo Pelini left in back-to-back seasons, the secondary has been a crapshoot in big games. But, instead of hiring a secondary coach, Stoops continues to keep BJW as the coach.

Even as we sorely lack getting consistent pressure on opposing QBs, Stoops keeps the real DE coach BJW coaching the secondary, and allows Chris Wilson to continue to do next to nothing with our DEs.

Since nothing was done, again, to correct the situation, expect more of the same in 2008.

Sadly, no one in the Big 12 South will be strong enough to overcome even our shoddy secondary coaching enough to catch us. Our offense will always put up enough points in the Big 12 contests to cover for the endless coverage busts and poor tackling that bites us in the butt during the BCS bowls.

Make your reservations for Glendale now.

I'm not gonna actually say that we won't win the national title this coming season, but I will agree on pretty much what you said here.

Collier11
2/15/2008, 03:29 PM
I'm not gonna actually say that we won't win the national title this coming season, but I will agree on pretty much what you said here.

same here but do we really know yet if any changes have been made. Maybe out of friendship Stoops moved BJW to another position and kept it quiet, maybe he is going to take on a bigger role in the D or atleast the secondary. He doesnt have to make a huge announcement to make changes, lets just hope that something is different next year!

If we can play better on the road we will be right in the Title Talk

Youngsooner
2/15/2008, 04:51 PM

OSU had a 24 point lead against Texas in the fourth quarter and LOST
That's what you call flopping on your ***....

Tear Down This Wall
2/15/2008, 05:15 PM
same here but do we really know yet if any changes have been made. Maybe out of friendship Stoops moved BJW to another position and kept it quiet, maybe he is going to take on a bigger role in the D or atleast the secondary. He doesnt have to make a huge announcement to make changes, lets just hope that something is different next year!

If we can play better on the road we will be right in the Title Talk

There doesn't have to be a huge change. Fire Wilson, move Wright back to DE coach, and hire a secondary coach. It's so simple it defies explanation as to why it hasn't been done.

Curly Bill
2/15/2008, 05:35 PM
There doesn't have to be a huge change. Fire Wilson, move Wright back to DE coach, and hire a secondary coach. It's so simple it defies explanation as to why it hasn't been done.

I'll say, and not for the first time I might add :D , that if anybody should be fired it's Brent Venables....and yeah, Bobby Jack Wright right along with him.

Mile High Sooner
2/15/2008, 07:35 PM
I just dont see an SEC team or a PAC 10 team going undefeated this year, does anybody else???? details.....

The SEC will always go cannibal during the season but with the continued lack of a championship game in the P-10, usuc has the talent, coaching and a legit shot at going undefeated.

adoniijahsooner
2/18/2008, 12:10 AM

Washington and the Pac-10 officials are my biggest concerns.

Animal Mother
2/18/2008, 02:00 PM
Stoops is nothing until he wins three. ;)

Barry? Is that you?

Collier11
2/19/2008, 12:04 AM
We need two things that we currently dont have, if we get these two things Ou will be in the Natl Title Game next year...

Playmaking DB- We havent had a game changer at DB since Strait and Roy, we have had solid guys and some good players but no difference makers

Game changing KR/PR- We havent had this since Antonio Perkins, we havent had anyone who everytime they touched the ball on kickoffs we thought they could go all the way since Brandon Daniels

We already have the offense, the OL, DL, and we always have good LBs...IMO if we can get these two areas we will be back where we need to be

JLEW1818
2/19/2008, 01:36 AM
Anybody think that DM will be returning punts or kickoffs? I really do not see why not, Reggie Bush did. I think there kinda similar. I know DM got a few kick returns last year, good td too. I think he needs to touch the ball the third most on the team this year, behind Sam and Cooper. Maybe this sounds too obvious but I do not know. I know I’ve said it a million times but would Stoops taking over at DC concern anybody?? Can somebody tell me the weaknesses and advantages if we did that? And yes Brent should get the boot, somebody about a month ago said half the reason you know he's not good is b/c how many head coach offers has he received?????? And if anybody is going to be that PLAYMAKING DB it’s going to be Franks!
jmo

SbOrOiNaEnR
2/19/2008, 10:24 AM
OSU had a 24 point lead against Texas in the fourth quarter and LOST
That's what you call flopping on your ***....

Nah, just a classic example of Gundy Ball...snatching defeat from the hands of victory. ;)

Jason White's Third Knee
2/19/2008, 02:09 PM
Unless you give up 55 in the bowl game... :O

That hasn't ever happened to my recollection.

bstuff1979
2/19/2008, 05:08 PM
Anybody think that DM will be returning punts or kickoffs? I really do not see why not, Reggie Bush did. I think there kinda similar. I know DM got a few kick returns last year, good td too. I think he needs to touch the ball the third most on the team this year, behind Sam and Cooper. Maybe this sounds too obvious but I do not know. I know I’ve said it a million times but would Stoops taking over at DC concern anybody?? Can somebody tell me the weaknesses and advantages if we did that? And yes Brent should get the boot, somebody about a month ago said half the reason you know he's not good is b/c how many head coach offers has he received?????? And if anybody is going to be that PLAYMAKING DB it’s going to be Franks!
jmo

No, Murray shouldn't return punts or play on special teams in general. He had a season ending injury in '07 and there isn't another back that has the pass catching ability of a slot receiver @ OU. I hadn't heard that Stoops was taking over @ DC. If so, I think it's neither here nor there. One thing I do dislike is the constant rotation of guys from safety to corner to nickle and back again. Venables, regardless of what most people think, should absolutely not be fired unless Mike Stoops steps down from Arizona with the sole intention of taking the DC job @ OU. Otherwise, I think it would be just a little bit of a bad idea. Why hasn't he received any coaching offers? First, maybe he has. Sometimes, these things are kept quiet when there is no interest from the coach being pursued. Second, the type of job that would fit Venables (a program on the level of, say, an Indiana/Miss. State/North Carolina State - a mid to lower level BCS school as Venables has no hc exp.) and one that he has interest in may not have come up yet. Either way, I think he's getting way too much heat and there isn't nearly enough attention to the fact that the D, on the whole, has been one of the tops in the NCAA over his tenure.

goingoneight
2/19/2008, 08:39 PM
BV is considered one of the top assistants in the country and has been offered many times, said he's not ready yet, including turning down his alma mater when offered after 2005. And Murray should definitey return kickoffs if healthy. That was one of his most exciting abilities to watch.

soonerfan28
2/26/2008, 03:38 PM
If anyone cares and if it hasn't already been posted Justin Johnson is wearing #25 and Landry Jones is wearing #12 for the spring. Thought I would I pass on that simple piece of info.

shaun4411
2/26/2008, 04:37 PM
murray can be as exciting as reggie smith or antonio perkins to watch take back kicks/punts.

CatfishSooner
2/26/2008, 05:46 PM
OU gets #8 in 08! book it...

BigRedJed
2/26/2008, 06:10 PM
Aw, geez.

DangTire
2/27/2008, 01:13 AM
BV is considered one of the top assistants in the country and has been offered many times, said he's not ready yet, including turning down his alma mater when offered after 2005. And Murray should definitey return kickoffs if healthy. That was one of his most exciting abilities to watch.

RIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTTTT.

BV can't even run a defense by his lonesome, much less an entire team. It's funny not one word's made it into the press with these "many" teams banging down his door to hire him. I know they're just lined up around the block to get in on the BV train of success.

DangTire
2/27/2008, 01:23 AM

Unless they do something about the D it's going to be next to impossible for them to win it all. As consistently inconsistent as they've been for so long I don't look for it to change until there is some turnover in the staff on both sides of the ball. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong, but I doubt it.

goingoneight
2/27/2008, 02:03 AM
I don't necessarily think it's the coaching staff. You need a lot of lucky breaks to win it all. Getting screwed on the road, getting your QB kicked off the team in pre-season, injuries are the biggest thing. Sam's concussion was the only thing that kept us out of the game last year. OUr team would have probably had a different mindset if their bowl game actually meant something. It's not BV's fault Granger got himself suspended and Lendy couldn't do his homework. It's not BJW's fault Demarco and Reggie were on crutches, and you certainly can't coach the flu out of Auston English nor the bruised thigh out of Malcom Kelly. We've had a few dumb moves admitted by the coaching staff, but a lot more tough breaks have had more to do with it. LSU was nothing special last year. If we got an MNC game in OUr own backyard against an overrated Ohio State team, everybody would be praising OUr coaching staff, OUr conference, blah-blah-blah.

DangTire, I wouldn't call it "next to impossible..." we won 11 games, freshmen at the controls of OUr team.

soonerfan28
2/27/2008, 09:00 AM
I would like to see BV get a head coaching job somewhere, just so he's no longer here because you know Stoops is never going to fire him. Then maybe see Mike Stoops get fired and come back and be the DC.

Curly Bill
2/27/2008, 10:11 AM
I would like to see BV get a head coaching job somewhere, just so he's no longer here because you know Stoops is never going to fire him. Then maybe see Mike Stoops get fired and come back and be the DC.

I like the way you think. :D SPEK

Animal Mother
2/27/2008, 12:48 PM
I don't necessarily think it's the coaching staff. You need a lot of lucky breaks to win it all. Getting screwed on the road, getting your QB kicked off the team in pre-season, injuries are the biggest thing. Sam's concussion was the only thing that kept us out of the game last year. OUr team would have probably had a different mindset if their bowl game actually meant something. It's not BV's fault Granger got himself suspended and Lendy couldn't do his homework. It's not BJW's fault Demarco and Reggie were on crutches, and you certainly can't coach the flu out of Auston English nor the bruised thigh out of Malcom Kelly. We've had a few dumb moves admitted by the coaching staff, but a lot more tough breaks have had more to do with it. LSU was nothing special last year. If we got an MNC game in OUr own backyard against an overrated Ohio State team, everybody would be praising OUr coaching staff, OUr conference, blah-blah-blah.

DangTire, I wouldn't call it "next to impossible..." we won 11 games, freshmen at the controls of OUr team.

Just like you said, at least what I read between the lines. Win as a team. Lose as a team.

bob
2/27/2008, 10:05 PM
The original question about a NC next year, clearly the defense will not be as good next year. The defense has not been as good since Mike has left and that is a statistical fact. However, the linebackers are always good, I think because BV is a great position coach, not necessarily a good DC. D line will be really good. D back, are a weakness and don't look for BJ Wright to improve the situation, he is an average coach at best.
But the reason this team hasn't won more in the last three years is leadership, primarily at the QB position. 3 QB's in three years, two of which were Freshmen. This has been a young team for the last couple of years. I think some of the older players will show some leadership this year.
And by the way-didn't OU finish second nationally in scoring/game last year. I guess it is good sport to shoot at the offensive coordinator but how can you do much better than that.
What do you have to say about that?

goingoneight
2/27/2008, 11:14 PM
BV has got a few raises, but he hasn't changed anything since the day he arrived in Norman. The box guy has changed sporadically, but BV always calls the signals and is very involved with the players on the sideline. Ask any player who's played defense under Stoops. He's a player's coach and he's not some bum who needs to be fired. When Mike was here, we had better players and ran the team as a whole differently.

DangTire
2/28/2008, 05:52 AM
The defense was weak with a lot of experience and talent on it. If you think it's going to improve you're living in a dream world.

So which is it? BV is doing a smash up job or now we're playing with less talent? Who recruited this lesser talent and who's responsible for fielding a poorly and improperly prepared team? You want to have your cake and eat it too. You people go on and on about talent and the players just aren't there but you don't want to pull your heads out of your *** and realize your excuses, if true, are just driving the point he can't get it done home. He's in over his head.

Curly Bill
2/28/2008, 08:52 AM
When Mike was here, we had better players and ran the team as a whole differently.

Better players? Like Tire said: who recruited this newer lesser talent? ...and besides that it's not true.

Ran the team differently as a whole? You gotta explain this one. :confused:

soonerfan28
2/28/2008, 09:13 AM
I think we have the same quality of talent now if not better then we had before we just need a coach who can develop that talent. I agree that BV is good at developing the LB's but we need a DC that is hungry and has something to prove. Our offense is going to be pretty good this year, but if we can't shut a team down it doesn't matter. We can't go out and out score everyone. I think we proved that in the Fiesta Bowl.

Dano7198
4/25/2008, 06:48 PM
100 percent agree on the BV thing. Fine position coach and a fine recruiter as well. However.... he is not a coordinator and his defenses dont respond well to adversity. If he cant study it.... he cant stop it. I feel he should have been gone after last year but hey.... thats just me. Time to either put up or shut up. End of story for this fan.

Collier11
4/25/2008, 07:34 PM
I have always stuck up for BV and think many of you give Mike way too much credit as great as he is, that being said I need to see a top 15 D this yr out of OU or I might start agreeing with a change

goingoneight
4/26/2008, 12:29 AM
OUr high rank under M Stoops also was misleading. There were plenty of times when we just laid a turd out there and we weren't even close to playing a Chase Daniel or a Larry Fedora offense. aTm 2002 and OSU 2002 come to mind.

As for the guy who's probably no longer here who asked what my "ran the team differently" back in the day... we didn't run a pro-style offense, we went five wide spread and no-huddle which forces longer games and you manage things differently. You don't line up guys like Kelly and Peterson and run some Mickey Mouse scheme, you use those guys for what they're good for, what they committed to play at OU for. No matter how you slice it, AD can never be Quentin Griffin and sneak behind an OL and beat the crap out of opposing defenses with shovel passes and counters. Same for vice versa, Q would never last running out of the power-I 30-40 times per game. We're not recruiting "less talent" for all the numb nuts who can't read into context. Tommie Harris was a five star guy, so was Granger. Both are good and they were signed for basically the same defense and the same skills they could provide us with, but one is far better and you just can't predict whether a five star is going to be a pro bowler or a coat stealer. Besides, if you want to rip brent Venables to shreds for recruiting all of this "lesser talent" then maybe you should go to the head coach who approved recruiting them in the first place. Think what you want, but the same head coach who signed hero Josh Heupel is the same head coach who approved recruiting and signing of Rhett Bomar, Brent Rawls, Tommy Grady, etc.
When you're scouting talent, what is the difference between a Demarcus Granger and a Tommie Harris? Both are clearly BAMFs, and every damn school in the nation is chomping at the bit to sign them... but when they get out on the field and play every game in different scenarios, nothing is ever the same... you start to notice that yeah... this kid was a rockstar in HS, but he's just another face in the crowd on Owen Field.
No one here is making excuses for BV... we're just sick and tired of seeing all OU's problems always dumped in his lap. Maybe if Allen Patrick didn't fumble the first play of the game at Tech, everyone would be excited that we won in Lubbock and kept the MNC hopes alive. For those of you who choose not to remember so you can conveniently rip the coaching staff... OU's defense was off to a GREAT start in that game until we went three quarters without scoring with an inexperienced QB thrown into a BAAAD situation on the road. Not so easy to stop a home team with a great offense when your D spends the vast majority of the time on the field. Did I mention we were short not one, not two... but three defensive ends that night? That must be Brent Venables fault, huh? Stupid coaching staff is directly responsible for John Williams tearing a ligament, Auston English breaking his foot and Alan Davis getting his clock cleaned, huh? :rolleyes:

MojoRisen
4/26/2008, 10:59 AM
Some of you guys are freaks -

Leave BV alone - he is by far our best recruiter and you have to take some of the good with the bad- I just think his schemes are to complicated.

Keenon Clayton will start at LINE BACKER - watch out

Granger is a Stud- he is our best d lineman hands down and will be an all american next year.

Our Running Game will be freakish- and that Fullback may get some PT

Also our Schedule is pretty damn tough next year - Kansas & Texas Back to Back. Cinci was rated 17th in the country last year and played WVU much better than us. UW and TCU are not patsy's

We got a shot -

Charla
4/27/2008, 06:35 PM
Dangtire preaches the gospel and I thought I was the only one that thought we SUCKED on defense. I also think it is the coaches fault when we show up and play MizzOU the way we did in the championship game and then go out and lay an egg like we did in the bowl game.

JLEW1818
4/27/2008, 06:58 PM
hope we put 70 on tech

Collier11
4/28/2008, 12:24 AM
The defense was weak with a lot of experience and talent on it. If you think it's going to improve you're living in a dream world.

So which is it? BV is doing a smash up job or now we're playing with less talent? Who recruited this lesser talent and who's responsible for fielding a poorly and improperly prepared team? You want to have your cake and eat it too. You people go on and on about talent and the players just aren't there but you don't want to pull your heads out of your *** and realize your excuses, if true, are just driving the point he can't get it done home. He's in over his head.

He has had a top 20 D every yr except this last yr...BV is not one of the top 5 D coordinators but he is pretty darn good. This yr will be telling about his future

Animal Mother
4/28/2008, 12:45 PM
Dangtire preaches the gospel and I thought I was the only one that thought we SUCKED on defense. I also think it is the coaches fault when we show up and play MizzOU the way we did in the championship game and then go out and lay an egg like we did in the bowl game.

Tell us what the coaches REALLY say before the Mizzou game as opposed to what is said before a BCS game. If it causes the team to play that differently I want to know the script.

rainiersooner
4/28/2008, 02:49 PM
The original question about a NC next year, clearly the defense will not be as good next year.

Judging by Spring Practice, the D could be better.

But the reason this team hasn't won more in the last three years is leadership, primarily at the QB position. 3 QB's in three years, two of which were Freshmen.

Bomar, yes. PT, absolutely not - I would argue we won because, not in spite of him. And last year, the only loss I would put some of the blame on Bradford would be Colorado...TT was obviously not his fault, and WVU...he could have played better, but the D could have also tackled the fat full-back with the mohawk better too.

I think with the exception of 2005, OU has been capable of winning the MNC every year since 2000. Sometimes we got bad breaks, sometimes we didn't play up to our potential...but we've always been in hunt. There aren't many programs you can say that about in the same timespan.

soonerfan28
4/28/2008, 02:55 PM
I think we have great talent this year like most years, but we don't seem to play with a lot of passion. I don't know if they are afraid of making a mistake and over thinking it or what, but I think you have to have some fire before we can win another championship. My only question mark is LB. Our D-backs stepped up in the spring and we also have depth there and on the D-line. If we can get some guys to step up in the fall at LB we should be fine. Clayton has the SLB locked up (barring injury).

Dano7198
4/28/2008, 04:44 PM
OUr high rank under M Stoops also was misleading. There were plenty of times when we just laid a turd out there and we weren't even close to playing a Chase Daniel or a Larry Fedora offense. aTm 2002 and OSU 2002 come to mind.

As for the guy who's probably no longer here who asked what my "ran the team differently" back in the day... we didn't run a pro-style offense, we went five wide spread and no-huddle which forces longer games and you manage things differently. You don't line up guys like Kelly and Peterson and run some Mickey Mouse scheme, you use those guys for what they're good for, what they committed to play at OU for. No matter how you slice it, AD can never be Quentin Griffin and sneak behind an OL and beat the crap out of opposing defenses with shovel passes and counters. Same for vice versa, Q would never last running out of the power-I 30-40 times per game. We're not recruiting "less talent" for all the numb nuts who can't read into context. Tommie Harris was a five star guy, so was Granger. Both are good and they were signed for basically the same defense and the same skills they could provide us with, but one is far better and you just can't predict whether a five star is going to be a pro bowler or a coat stealer. Besides, if you want to rip brent Venables to shreds for recruiting all of this "lesser talent" then maybe you should go to the head coach who approved recruiting them in the first place. Think what you want, but the same head coach who signed hero Josh Heupel is the same head coach who approved recruiting and signing of Rhett Bomar, Brent Rawls, Tommy Grady, etc.
When you're scouting talent, what is the difference between a Demarcus Granger and a Tommie Harris? Both are clearly BAMFs, and every damn school in the nation is chomping at the bit to sign them... but when they get out on the field and play every game in different scenarios, nothing is ever the same... you start to notice that yeah... this kid was a rockstar in HS, but he's just another face in the crowd on Owen Field.
No one here is making excuses for BV... we're just sick and tired of seeing all OU's problems always dumped in his lap. Maybe if Allen Patrick didn't fumble the first play of the game at Tech, everyone would be excited that we won in Lubbock and kept the MNC hopes alive. For those of you who choose not to remember so you can conveniently rip the coaching staff... OU's defense was off to a GREAT start in that game until we went three quarters without scoring with an inexperienced QB thrown into a BAAAD situation on the road. Not so easy to stop a home team with a great offense when your D spends the vast majority of the time on the field. Did I mention we were short not one, not two... but three defensive ends that night? That must be Brent Venables fault, huh? Stupid coaching staff is directly responsible for John Williams tearing a ligament, Auston English breaking his foot and Alan Davis getting his clock cleaned, huh? :rolleyes:

Not saying any and all of those injuries dont hamper a defense. What I am saying is BV's downfall is he DOESNT ADAPT !!!! If what hes practiced doesnt work or the defense sees a wrinkle in the offense ( ala Tech RUNNING with authority ) he cant stop it ! WVU and the "no bullets left in the belt " tells me they attacked ( with obvious success ) what they saw on tape... again and again and again. If an offense can be innovative, why not a defense ? As far as the recruiting thing goes, Ive long advocated that student athletes are still adults. What they do with what they have learned is beyond the control of any coach. As far as them making the field and playing goes... win most lose some pretty well sums it up.

Dano7198
4/28/2008, 04:50 PM

Agreed, Dang Tire !!! Having our asses handed to us to close 07 is little reason to swagger into 08 !!! True swagger comes from results and executing on the field...not from picking up SI and reading about how good you are.

Collier11
4/28/2008, 04:58 PM
"swagger" comes from inside, it has nothing to do with winning or losing. Winning has created entitlement which has been part of our problem, Coach has to figure out how to get a chip back on our players shoulders

Collier11
4/28/2008, 05:00 PM
Not saying any and all of those injuries dont hamper a defense. What I am saying is BV's downfall is he DOESNT ADAPT !!!!

So what did he do in the 2nd half against mizzou, when he shut down osu,etc...BV makes great adjustments, I think the main problem is lack of on field discipline by the players and play-call timing by the coaches

JLEW1818
4/28/2008, 08:16 PM
If we get blown out in a Bowl game this upcoming year, does BV go?

goingoneight
4/28/2008, 09:03 PM
Depends solely on the situation. When you play in the BCS, you can't just play sloppy for three quarters and expect to rally to victory and you can't expect to stay within three scores without six of your starters who got you there in the first place.

If at world's end we went to the Cotton Bowl or Holiday Bowl and get blown out... that puts us on a level with the Arizona State's and one-hit-wonder Cinderella teams. The BCS is the highest level of the game, which means you need all your talent to be present, healthy and ready. None of these four BCS losses would be even half as hard to swallow (may not have even happened) if the guys just showed up ready to play. I know you all remember how they all went...

2003 vs LSU: "Oh, yeah... that BIG 12 Championship is no big deal... musta been a fluke. Jason White just won the Heisman, so we'll be fine. We're #1 Oklahoma? Who the hell is Louisiana State? New Orleans? Doesn't matter that we'll be playing in front of their home crowd in a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME."
Then came a pick six, a long TD run and we can't match it.
2004: "We're going to FINISH." That went over really well until the muffed punt and they just kinda laid down and quit. To this day and forevermore it will be the blackest mark on Stoops's resume. No one knows if we'd have been competitive or even had a chance to win when OUR guys are telling Matt Leinart to just run the clock out because they were tired and wanted to go home.

2006/7 vs. Boise State: Three turnovers versus two and we lose by a POINT to a 7-pt underdog. This without OUr best receiver. You take no moral victories, but at least we were competitive in this loss and it was a major accomplishment to get to this game in the first place given the 2006 series of unfortunate events. Take your BIG 12 Title and learn from it, let 2006 make you better for 2007.

2007 vs WVU: WVU has been one of the top programs in the country for about three years at this point and everyone just counted them for dead when a coach left. A coach. Come on, people... Rodriguez may have built the monster, but it's not like all of the coordinators and players quit, too. I'm pretty sure that if Stoops missed a game that OUr staff knows the ropes well enough to run the show. Meanwhile, Oklahoma players are talking with NFL agents, cutting classes and stealing coats, leaving us extra short-handed since Murray would be held out of the game as well. Then you have Kelly's injury, Auston English gets the flu... but we'll still be fine, right? WRONG. We have 85 scholarship athletes minus six starters. They have 85 scholarship athletes with no missing starters and a veteran lineup that has actually won a BCS game before. How many bowl games has Pat White lost? I'll give you a hint... it's about as many as the number of teams with six missing starters to win a BCS game.

Like stated above... if we get totally embarassed consistently during the season against crappy teams... then Stoops MIGHT consider some "movements." More likely personnel than staff... and that's the way it should be. If we get hammered in the Holiday Bowl and there's no reason other than just not having any answers... then you re-evaluate the staff. You do NOT go axing guys with National Championship rings because six starters sit out a BCS game and you get your **** kicked in the way God intended it to be under said circumstances.

Serious question here... how good does OU do in the Florida State game back in January 2001 if you take away...
Derrick Strait, Ontei Jones, Corey Heineke, Curtis Fagan, Quentin Griffin (most explosive running back on the roster) and the rest of the team just decides they want to play like crap for three quarters? I already know the answer... most dweebs would be screeching for Mike Stoops to get fired having totally forgotten what it's like to have a real AVERAGE coaching staff (*COUGH* GIBBS! *COUGH*) leading OUr program. Worse... what's it like having just another coach running OUr program? Would we even be in these BCS games? Look at what happened to Texas when Chizik bailed for ISU. He might not have been a super HC candidate, but his defense got Texas to and won them an MNC.

Breadburner
4/28/2008, 09:15 PM

"Thats not true"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goingoneight
4/28/2008, 09:29 PM
Talk about falling on your ***! Didn't your team lose six games last year... including one to yes... us!?!

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2008, 03:05 PM

TCU will be a decent team for us in the early season.

But Cincy? They lost their starting QB, their starting running backs, and 3 OLinemen on offense. They also lost 11 on their two deep when it comes to the offense. They lost 3 starters on defense and 6 on their two deep.

Washington will give our defense more fits than Cincy will.

OU_Sooners75
4/29/2008, 03:15 PM
Serious question here... how good does OU do in the Florida State game back in January 2001 if you take away...
Derrick Strait, Ontei Jones, Corey Heineke, Curtis Fagan, Quentin Griffin (most explosive running back on the roster) and the rest of the team just decides they want to play like crap for three quarters? I already know the answer... most dweebs would be screeching for Mike Stoops to get fired having totally forgotten what it's like to have a real AVERAGE coaching staff (*COUGH* GIBBS! *COUGH*) leading OUr program. Worse... what's it like having just another coach running OUr program? Would we even be in these BCS games? Look at what happened to Texas when Chizik bailed for ISU. He might not have been a super HC candidate, but his defense got Texas to and won them an MNC.

So all you had to say with your novel was this: The pathetic showings in the last 4 BCS Bowl games are do to the kids not showing up for the game, not the coaching staff?

So you are telling me, three very different teams decided not to show up against LSU, USC, Boise State, and West Virginia? I am not buying that. They all have one common factor, the defensive schemes from one defensive coordinator.

Am I saying BV needs to leave? In a way yes. But at the same time, no. He has consistently done a good enough job to get us 3 Big 12 championships and 3 BCS Bowl games. So in a way I think it is a combination of the Kids not totally into the game (because the media paints the picture for everyone, They are Oklahoma, and they cannot lose to such and such) and the scheme the coaches give them.

Dano7198
4/29/2008, 04:40 PM
So all you had to say with your novel was this: The pathetic showings in the last 4 BCS Bowl games are do to the kids not showing up for the game, not the coaching staff?

So you are telling me, three very different teams decided not to show up against LSU, USC, Boise State, and West Virginia? I am not buying that. They all have one common factor, the defensive schemes from one defensive coordinator.

Am I saying BV needs to leave? In a way yes. But at the same time, no. He has consistently done a good enough job to get us 3 Big 12 championships and 3 BCS Bowl games. So in a way I think it is a combination of the Kids not totally into the game (because the media paints the picture for everyone, They are Oklahoma, and they cannot lose to such and such) and the scheme the coaches give them.

Exactly !!!!! I respect his BV's accomplishments but at the same time hold him accountable for his short comings. Big Green spec

AzianSooner
4/29/2008, 07:37 PM
I blame no coach but the fans (allumni especially) for not pumping enough money to lure the bad a..ss (like LSU did) to play for OU. So far, only selfish dude like Malcome Keller.

shaun4411
4/29/2008, 10:03 PM
Exactly !!!!! I respect his BV's accomplishments but at the same time hold him accountable for his short comings. Big Green spec

if you put some perspective on it you can see it for what it is: brent veneables' defense has made appearances at 2 national championship games, and 2 other bcs games and had a defense that kept the team in contention in 3 of the past 5 years. (4 if you consider 2006 any sort of success).

regardless of his post-season shortcomings, he has a good resume. so he's doing something right.

goingoneight
4/30/2008, 12:09 AM
I'd love for Dano to re-read my post right now and tell me exactly where it is he thinks I'm "wrong, plain and simple."

Go on... we're waiting...

Venables defenses have crappy schemes? Are you serious? You want to know what else all of those games had in common? Turnovers. Stupid BV throwing three interceptions against USC, how dare he!?! You're right... four totally different teams, four totally different games... and what you're trying to tell me is that they all played out the exact same way? I don't know if you noticed this, but that USC squad was three points away from winning two MNCs and 35 games in a row. Also... tell me dear friends how many people survive playing LSU in New Orelans? Go on... I'm listening. Nevermind that those were National Championship games... I mean... we should just whip them like any other challenger, right? :rolleyes: What's a National Championship game anyway? Not like it's the highest level of the game or anything...

How many points does OU get ripped for by Boise State is Paul Thompson didn't spot them 14 points? Let's see... In regulation, BSU scored 35 points. 35-14 = 21. OU scores 35 in regulation despite four turnovers. This isn't Baylor, people... it's a BCS game. Would the sseries of desperation trick plays ever have even happened if OU took care of the football and owned up on those guys the way they should have? If people blame the Tech loss on Sam's injury, we might as well throw Kelly's injury in this one as well as it totally changes the cover scheme of your opposition when he's out of the game. But what's that goingoneight? You're talking X's and O's now!!! That's not fair... we were on a roll pointing fingers!

Back to WVU... once again, if people are going to say Sam Bradford would have made all the difference against Tech... who's to say that not one starter... but SIX starters wouldn't have made just a hint of a difference against a far better opponent than Texas Tech in WVU? "King" Switzer said it long before kickoff that the missing starters were a major problem. Are we going to blast him and tell him he knows nothing about Oklahoma football?

Bottom line... missing starters are a recipe for disaster in BCS games. Turnovers are disastrous in BCS games... especially ones resulting in opponents' touchdowns. BCS games aren't Holiday Bowls... if you expect to win or even be competitive in them... you play your A game, play your best talent and have to actually give a damn for more than a quarter.

If Brent Venables and Co. can shut down Chase Daniel's offense, OSU's offense, Vince Young's offense, etc, etc, etc... he can and will do just fine in a BCS game eventually. I'd love to play in a BCS game with a chip on the guys' shoulders where they won the turnover battle and had all their guys healthy for four quarters. You know what happened last time we did that? We won. Time before that, too.

birddog
4/30/2008, 12:23 AM
I blame no coach but the fans (allumni especially) for not pumping enough money to lure the bad a..ss (like LSU did) to play for OU. So far, only selfish dude like Malcome Keller.

now that has to be one of the most insightful posts i've ever read, sir.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:46 AM
if you put some perspective on it you can see it for what it is: brent veneables' defense has made appearances at 2 national championship games, and 2 other bcs games and had a defense that kept the team in contention in 3 of the past 5 years. (4 if you consider 2006 any sort of success).

regardless of his post-season shortcomings, he has a good resume. so he's doing something right.

Let me clear something up for you.
1 national championship, that was the embarassing loss to USC. The NC in 2003 was thanks to Mike Stoops. He was the master of that defense. And the defense played pretty damn good in that game as I recall. The major difference in that game, a Pick 6 plus a PAT!

The most embarassing losses in recent memory (USC, TCU, BSU, and WVU) for OU has happened because BV was the DC though.

Criticize, but give credit too.
Mike Stoops was the DC for 2 Big 12 titles.
Brent Venerables was the DC for 3 Big 12 titles.

I do think of Stoops as the better DC though.

OU_Sooners75
5/1/2008, 11:52 AM
If Brent Venables and Co. can shut down Chase Daniel's offense, OSU's offense, Vince Young's offense, etc, etc, etc... he can and will do just fine in a BCS game eventually. I'd love to play in a BCS game with a chip on the guys' shoulders where they won the turnover battle and had all their guys healthy for four quarters. You know what happened last time we did that? We won. Time before that, too.

Do you have to write novels in every post?

BV is a heck of a coach. One of the best at his position in the nation.

That does not mean he cannot make mistakes in preparing for a team.

That is why, if you could read, I said in a way it is the kids fault for not playing with passion or being into the game. And also the coaching staff's fault for having our player unperpared.

I was fortunate enough to play this game from the age of 10 to 21. In that time frame I have been a very loyal OU fan and still am. However, at the ranks these kids are playing they have a responibility to perform like no other.

The coaching staff drills into them discipline. "Be here when you are suppose to be here." Now, if the coaches give them the wrong scheme, and does very little during the game to change it, that is the coaches fault, not the players fault.

you can tell the difference when the kids are not up to their game and when they are being outcoached. Against WVU, OU was outcoached.

Injuries occur. That is why 2-3 deep get practice time. Missing Kelly was not a big deal. Missing two on defense kinda was, but the replacement kids still performed. OU was out of position on defense. Don't credit that to the players. Credit that to a bad coaching scheme.

soonerfan28
5/1/2008, 02:55 PM
I know I am getting ahead of myself, but a matchup I wouldn't mind seeing is Everson Griffen against Loadholt. Just a thought. NOT A PREDICTION!

goingoneight
5/2/2008, 09:53 PM
Do you have to write novels in every post?

BV is a heck of a coach. One of the best at his position in the nation.

That does not mean he cannot make mistakes in preparing for a team.

That is why, if you could read, I said in a way it is the kids fault for not playing with passion or being into the game. And also the coaching staff's fault for having our player unperpared.

I was fortunate enough to play this game from the age of 10 to 21. In that time frame I have been a very loyal OU fan and still am. However, at the ranks these kids are playing they have a responibility to perform like no other.

The coaching staff drills into them discipline. "Be here when you are suppose to be here." Now, if the coaches give them the wrong scheme, and does very little during the game to change it, that is the coaches fault, not the players fault.

you can tell the difference when the kids are not up to their game and when they are being outcoached. Against WVU, OU was outcoached.

Injuries occur. That is why 2-3 deep get practice time. Missing Kelly was not a big deal. Missing two on defense kinda was, but the replacement kids still performed. OU was out of position on defense. Don't credit that to the players. Credit that to a bad coaching scheme.

Maybe if you looked at the time of day I post everything, you'd see I don't get to 'chat' on the forums all day at work. Therefore when I feel the need to post something, I try and cover my point in full. You don't mind reading it, and the internet certainly isn't going to overload because of it. So you're saying OUr 2-3 deep should be able to just step in like it's nothing? I don't know if you remember this, but OUr starting lineup often has little hiccups against mighty powerhouses Baylor, UAB and Iowa State. That's offense AND defense, FWIW.
I am not saying BV is the greatest DC we've ever had. I'm not saying there's an excuse for everything. All the people saying he needs to go are what makes me post my "novels" as you call it. Two coaches everyone growled about have won BCS Bowls at other schools running their systems. In the words of Stoops, "they're not just a bunch of bums." All the peopel saying OUr defense is terrible and so-and-so needs to be fired, blah-blah is getting really old. First it was Mangino, then it was Pelini (fans never gave him a chance in only one year's time, not that they had any say anyway), then we blast Chuck Long for one mediocre offensive season (one which all OUr skill position players were freshmen and sophomores), now it's BV's turn. We all know he's not perfect and we all know he's not the best we've ever had, but guess what... neither is Stoops and he gets a free pass. I happen to notice the big picture that it's not very often you win a National Championship, and for us to be in the hunt every year regardless of how much rebuilding we have to do means that... you know what? We've got a very solid coaching staff apparently. Every team and coach has a game or two average per year where they play like crap and generally speaking the fans try way too hard to find a "weak link" when they wouldn't know it if it hit them in the mouth. You'd like to see us show up healthy, make all the right calls, play OUr A-game and be truly better than every opponent every game, every year. Stone cold reality, it doesn't work that way.

As for Mike Stoops, I liked the guy, but I seriously doubt he was the end-all reason OUr defense gets choked up sometimes. Especially when his defenses (which were co-coorinated with evil Brent Venables and BJW) got torched every now and then, too (sometimes by much lesser teams than that of BCS opponents). If he was some godsend and irreplaceable link, why hasn't he been to a bowl game yet? Why are teams running over his defenses in the Pac-10? Him, BV and BJW spelled eachother very well in the early Stoops tenure... we catch a bunch of lucky breaks and we had better players... yeah you look much better that way.

Bottom line, great coaching staffs win lots of games and have their teams in the hunt every year and it's just a matter of them catching the breaks necessary to win it all. I don't see us the last four years as a "lucky" team by any stretch of imagination.

Little Al
5/3/2008, 06:34 PM
Goingoneight, I've always found your postings to be relevant - and entertaining.

Collier11
5/3/2008, 06:44 PM
Maybe if you looked at the time of day I post everything, you'd see I don't get to 'chat' on the forums all day at work. Therefore when I feel the need to post something, I try and cover my point in full. You don't mind reading it, and the internet certainly isn't going to overload because of it. So you're saying OUr 2-3 deep should be able to just step in like it's nothing? I don't know if you remember this, but OUr starting lineup often has little hiccups against mighty powerhouses Baylor, UAB and Iowa State. That's offense AND defense, FWIW.
I am not saying BV is the greatest DC we've ever had. I'm not saying there's an excuse for everything. All the people saying he needs to go are what makes me post my "novels" as you call it. Two coaches everyone growled about have won BCS Bowls at other schools running their systems. In the words of Stoops, "they're not just a bunch of bums." All the peopel saying OUr defense is terrible and so-and-so needs to be fired, blah-blah is getting really old. First it was Mangino, then it was Pelini (fans never gave him a chance in only one year's time, not that they had any say anyway), then we blast Chuck Long for one mediocre offensive season (one which all OUr skill position players were freshmen and sophomores), now it's BV's turn. We all know he's not perfect and we all know he's not the best we've ever had, but guess what... neither is Stoops and he gets a free pass. I happen to notice the big picture that it's not very often you win a National Championship, and for us to be in the hunt every year regardless of how much rebuilding we have to do means that... you know what? We've got a very solid coaching staff apparently. Every team and coach has a game or two average per year where they play like crap and generally speaking the fans try way too hard to find a "weak link" when they wouldn't know it if it hit them in the mouth. You'd like to see us show up healthy, make all the right calls, play OUr A-game and be truly better than every opponent every game, every year. Stone cold reality, it doesn't work that way.

As for Mike Stoops, I liked the guy, but I seriously doubt he was the end-all reason OUr defense gets choked up sometimes. Especially when his defenses (which were co-coorinated with evil Brent Venables and BJW) got torched every now and then, too (sometimes by much lesser teams than that of BCS opponents). If he was some godsend and irreplaceable link, why hasn't he been to a bowl game yet? Why are teams running over his defenses in the Pac-10? Him, BV and BJW spelled eachother very well in the early Stoops tenure... we catch a bunch of lucky breaks and we had better players... yeah you look much better that way.

Bottom line, great coaching staffs win lots of games and have their teams in the hunt every year and it's just a matter of them catching the breaks necessary to win it all. I don't see us the last four years as a "lucky" team by any stretch of imagination.

When you are playing the best teams in the country(yes, Boise was a great team that year) you are going to get torched from time to time...For all of you who dont like to look at facts, try looking at how many points LSU gave up in several games last year...you cant have a team that gives up 15ppg or less every single game, it just doesnt happen

Good post GO8!

soonerfan28
5/3/2008, 08:06 PM
I just want to say that I was listening to the Sports Animal last night and they were interviewing Rufus Alexander and Dean Blevins asked him why they can't seem to win in the bowl game and he said himself that it was because Mike Stoops was no longer here.

Dano7198
5/4/2008, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=goingoneight;2286985]Maybe if you looked at the time of day I post everything, you'd see I don't get to 'chat' on the forums all day at work. Therefore when I feel the need to post something, I try and cover my point in full. You don't mind reading it, and the internet certainly isn't going to overload because of it. So you're saying OUr 2-3 deep should be able to just step in like it's nothing? I don't know if you remember this, but OUr starting lineup often has little hiccups against mighty powerhouses Baylor, UAB and Iowa State. That's offense AND defense, FWIW.

Rather than subjecting this forum to our obvious diffrences on BV...lets just agree to disagree for now and we'll see how the season plays out shall we ? Both sides of this fued make valid points so lets just wait and see. No hard feelings here. Hope the same there.

Dano7198
5/4/2008, 09:22 AM
So what did he do in the 2nd half against mizzou, when he shut down osu,etc...BV makes great adjustments, I think the main problem is lack of on field discipline by the players and play-call timing by the coaches

Misswho ran their offense (and a deadly one it is ) but they didnt do alot of anything that we hadnt seen before or through out the course of their season. As a side note...Pinkell was recently quoted in the paper as saying he is "fine" with the running game the way it is. Makes me wonder when on several occassions last season, I saw them call 3 consecutive pass plays on 1st and goal from inside the 8 yard line.

Ash
5/4/2008, 09:25 AM
Rather than subjecting this forum to our obvious diffrences on BV...lets just agree to disagree for now and we'll see how the season plays out shall we ? Both sides of this fued make valid points so lets just wait and see. No hard feelings here. Hope the same there.

Why stop? It's been a weekly topic since 2004.

Or, we could do a TDTW and Nick Zepp tribute thread and trash the entire coaching staff and athletics department.

Dano7198
5/4/2008, 09:53 AM
Why stop? It's been a weekly topic since 2004.

Or, we could do a TDTW and Nick Zepp tribute thread and trash the entire coaching staff and athletics department.

good point

OU_Sooners75
5/6/2008, 01:15 PM
I don't know if you remember this, but OUr starting lineup often has little hiccups against mighty powerhouses Baylor, UAB and Iowa State. That's offense AND defense, FWIW.

Now you are talking about UAB, Iowa State, and Baylor? Stay on subject here. We were talking bowl games. When we are playing in the BCS we are suppose to be playing elite teams, which we have for the most part. And recalling the last 4 BCS Bowl games, we have lost them. So I take it OU is just outside of an elite program right now? NO. OU is the winningest team this decade. OU is an elite team. It is not just the kids fault that we are not beating the likes of Boise State and West Virginia. The USC loss, yeah our kids lost it after a muffed punt agaisnt them.

Now then, If you can understand what is written, you would see that I actually admire what BV has done here at OU. So if you would stop acting like I am calling him evil, that would be great.

Collier11
5/6/2008, 01:16 PM
Now you are talking about UAB, Iowa State, and Baylor? Stay on subject here. We were talking bowl games. When we are playing in the BCS we are suppose to be playing elite teams, which we have for the most part. And recalling the last 4 BCS Bowl games, we have lost them. So I take it OU is just outside of an elite program right now? NO. OU is the winningest team this decade. OU is an elite team. It is not just the kids fault that we are not beating the likes of Boise State and West Virginia. The USC loss, yeah our kids lost it after a muffed punt agaisnt them.

Now then, If you can understand what is written, you would see that I actually admire what BV has done here at OU. So if you would stop acting like I am calling him evil, that would be great.

Why is it that you think BV is evil again?

Curly Bill
5/6/2008, 02:15 PM
Why is it that you think BV is evil again?

Now hold on a minute here!

It's me that thinks he's evil. :D

...or a merely average DC...not that that really makes him evil...