PDA

View Full Version : Cinci Mauckless for '08 game vs. OU

bstuff1979
2/14/2008, 01:30 PM
the possible would-be pre-season all american has not been granted another year. don't think it's been posted yet:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3245700

Salt City Sooner
2/14/2008, 01:46 PM
This obviously helps us in our game vs. them, but I don't necessarily like it. Kids wanting to come back to college these days are all too rare, & telling one who had a very legit case to do so that he can't, leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

sooner518
2/14/2008, 02:05 PM
i dont understand eligbility rules very well and that article didnt really explain much, but I dont really see why he should have been granted an additional year. good for us I guess but I can feel bad for the kid.

SteelClip49
2/14/2008, 02:23 PM
so what made the NCAA decide to give Jason White a 6th year?

Salt City Sooner
2/14/2008, 02:40 PM
so what made the NCAA decide to give Jason White a 6th year?
White missed 5 games in '01 & 12 in '02. His case was tailor-made to give a 6th year to. The case that immediately came to me as being perplexing in relation to this was Lance Mitchell. He got hurt in the 2nd quarter of the Fresno St. game (3rd game overall) & was still granted an extra year. I do remember reading several articles that stated that had he finished that quarter, he'd have been ineligible to get the extra year, but even so, he still played significantly more than Mauk played in the year in question, as he was injured in the season opener.

Scott D
2/14/2008, 02:47 PM
White missed 5 games in '01 & 12 in '02. His case was tailor-made to give a 6th year to. The case that immediately came to me as being perplexing in relation to this was Lance Mitchell. He got hurt in the 2nd quarter of the Fresno St. game (3rd game overall) & was still granted an extra year. I do remember reading several articles that stated that had he finished that quarter, he'd have been ineligible to get the extra year, but even so, he still played significantly more than Mauk played in the year in question, as he was injured in the season opener.

White was also injured his back in the 1999 season.

soonerfan28
2/14/2008, 03:04 PM
I thought the rule was, that if you played more then 8 quarters you couldn't get that year back. But that wouldn't make since for the Lance Mitchell case.

mizzOUstu702
2/14/2008, 03:54 PM
I didn't know ex-domer Demetrius Jones transferred to Cinci--I thought he went to Northern Illinois. They say he's on the roster in the article, but is he eligible next year? I'm guessing so...

Ruuuuuufus
2/14/2008, 05:46 PM
Mauk only missed part of one season. To get a sixth year you generally have to miss parts of two seasons.

BillyBall
2/14/2008, 05:56 PM
I didn't know ex-domer Demetrius Jones transferred to Cinci--I thought he went to Northern Illinois. They say he's on the roster in the article, but is he eligible next year? I'm guessing so...

No way he's eligible, he started the first game of the season

Scott D
2/14/2008, 06:19 PM
No way he's eligible, he started the first game of the season

I believe he was enrolled at Cincy early enough to qualify for last fall's semester counting as his first semester there, and this spring would complete his first year there. So he's in a way getting around the redshirt rule. Or this past season because of the early transfer qualified as a redshirt for him.

RedstickSooner
2/14/2008, 06:33 PM
Mauck went out in the season opener in 2006, and missed some games last year due to the injury -- to be honest, it sounds like he should've gotten the waiver.

The process seems awfully arbitrary. Obviously, I'm not complaining -- we've benefited. Like when Jason got his 14th season of eligibility. That was way cool.

Scott D
2/14/2008, 06:58 PM
I think the problem that Mauk has is the reasoning he used. He was using the "I was lied to about why I was redshirting as a freshman" excuse. That's about as likely to have the NCAA grant eligibility as the Ryan Mallett and Arkansas using the "I had to transfer because of a coaching change, so I shouldn't lose eligibility" argument.

47straight
2/15/2008, 12:11 AM
Sucks for that young man.

goingoneight
2/15/2008, 01:51 AM
He seemed like a good kid, too. I read a lot of good things about him. It's not often you see good kids experiencing big success like Sam and Mauk these days. The thread about what Brady Quinn has been up to kind of exposes him from the sheltered media darling he was at ND to being just another arrogant prick with a big paycheck.

BillyBall
2/15/2008, 09:14 AM
I believe he was enrolled at Cincy early enough to qualify for last fall's semester counting as his first semester there, and this spring would complete his first year there. So he's in a way getting around the redshirt rule. Or this past season because of the early transfer qualified as a redshirt for him.

Interesting, I didnt realize that was possible.