PDA

View Full Version : Kidd to the Mavs (almost done)

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 03:21 PM
That's a LOT to give up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244102

Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Sources: Mavs, Nets close in on Kidd deal
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Jason Kidd has quietly -- and not so quietly -- hoped for a trade to the Dallas Mavericks all season.

Those hopes are about to realized, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks and Nets on Wednesday reached an agreement in principle on a Kidd deal after talks had seemingly stalled last week, moving the teams to brink of completing the NBA's third blockbuster deal of the month.

Although sources say that the teams are still sorting out final details, this deal was described as "imminent" by multiple sources close to the process after negotiations moved to an advanced stage Tuesday night. The deal -- salvaged from talks on a three-way trade with Portland that developed and fizzled quickly two weeks ago -- has Dallas sending 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, the expiring contracts of center DeSagana Diop and swingman Devean George and guard Maurice Ager to New Jersey for Kidd and forward Malik Allen.

Sources say Dallas will also add the league-maximum $3 million in cash and send its first-round draft pick this June as well as a first-rounder in 2010.

The Nets are expected to buy out Stackhouse's contract immediately, which could enable him to re-sign with Dallas if he waits 30 days, and ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that the Nets and the Mavs are likewise poised to complete a separate trade that will send swingman Antoine Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick.

Dallas has been widely considered the most likely winner of the Kidd trade sweepstakes, despite the repeated attempts of Mavericks owner Mark Cuban to publicly dismiss the idea of parting with multiple regulars for Kidd. Cuban told several New York-based reporters Sunday before New Jersey beat Dallas that a deal for All-Star floor leader would severely weaken his roster.

"For us to make the numbers work in a deal like that, we'd have to trade away half the team," Cuban said. "We're not doing that, so it just doesn't work. And we like our team. We've got a lot of room for improvement and we hope to get better. But right now, I just don't see anything happening.

Yet sources close to the process insist that the talks have heated up in the past 24 hours, with the Mavs still tantalized by the prospect of bringing Kidd back more than a decade after the pre-Cuban regime drafted him out of Cal, watched him share rookie of the year honors with Grant Hill in 1994-95 and then traded him to Phoenix on the day after Christmas in 1996.

The Mavs' biggest reservation, though, isn't sacrificing Harris. Sources maintain that Dallas, while reluctant to part with one of Cuban's favorite players and its point guard of the future after signing Harris to a contract extension over the summer, has been resigned for some time to losing Harris if it meant getting Kidd back.

The greater hesitation, sources said, is that they would also have to part with Stackhouse and Diop, weakening Dallas' depth. Even if the Nets do waive Stackhouse as expected and Dallas is able to re-sign him after a 30-day wait, losing Diop is a significant blow, as that leaves the inconsistent Erick Dampier as the Mavericks' only veteran center at a time when potential playoff foes like the Los Angeles Lakers (Pau Gasol) and Phoenix Suns (Shaquille O'Neal) are getting bigger.

But Dallas appears more motivated than ever in spite of those concerns and the current lack of a third team to join in and broaden the trade, believing that Kidd -- although he turns 35 in March and is threatening to establish a new career low with his 36.7 percent shooting from the field -- is still a prime source of leadership and mental toughness.

Kidd displayed those qualities in abundance during a strong summer with Team USA and those areas are well-chronicled weak spots for the Mavs, who followed up a historic collapse to Miami in the 2006 NBA Finals with a first-round flameout against Golden State after winning 67 games last season. A point guard of Kidd's caliber, influence and experience would undoubtedly please the demanding Avery Johnson, reinvigorate a team that has been lacking energy and confidence and supply Dallas' coach with a dangerous four-man core of Kidd, Josh Howard, Jason Terry and reigning MVP Dirk Nowitzki.

Nowitzki is the player Kidd has had in mind when privately telling associates in recent months that he hoped to go back to Dallas. Although his desire to leave New Jersey had been suspected all season, Kidd didn't go public with that wish until late January, when he told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher that it's time for him and New Jersey "all to move on" in separate directions.

Kidd was acquired by the Nets in the 2001 offseason in a trade with Phoenix featuring Stephon Marbury and sparked New Jersey to the most successful period in the team's NBA history, starting with back-to-back trips to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. After giving strong consideration to signing with San Antonio in the summer of 2003, Kidd elected to stay with the Nets. During the past four-plus seasons, however, New Jersey has not advanced past the second round of the playoffs, despite the 2004 arrival of Vince Carter and Kidd's successful recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

The Nets were prepared to deal Kidd to the Lakers at the trade deadline last season but pulled out of the deal when the Lakers refused to part with center Andrew Bynum, who has since blossomed. This deal would give them a highly rated point guard who's 10 years younger than Kidd and three cap-friendly contracts if the Mavericks indeed include Ager.

The Nets could come away with even more salary-cap relief if the Mavericks built their trade package around Harris and a signed-and-traded Keith Van Horn. Although he has been out of the game since the end of the 2005-06 season, Van Horn hasn't filed official retirement papers with the league, allowing Dallas to retain his rights. And because Van Horn's final NBA salary was nearly $16 million, Dallas can re-sign him for a substantial amount and thus create a lucrative expiring contract for the Nets, because only the first year of a contract must be guaranteed in a sign-and-trade arrangement.

Cuban, though, told ESPN.com last week that "we won't use [Van Horn] in any deal for anyone." That's because Kidd would cost the Mavericks nearly $40 million next season, thanks to the luxury tax, if they sent only Harris, Van Horn and salary-cap filler to the Nets.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.

Curly Bill
2/13/2008, 03:32 PM
Me no like the giving up Devin Harris part of it. Don't mind the othes too much, or even the draft picks...cause really how late in the first round are Dallas' picks gonna be.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 03:38 PM
I'll like this deal alot better if they re-sign Stack after 30 days. I liked his toughness. Hopefully they told him that as part of the deal, since NJ is just going to buy us out.

Harris was as good as he was ever going to be.

If they kept this current lineup and got bounced in round 1 or 2, they were gonna blow this thing up anyways. Hopefully this revitalizes Kidd.

Still, he is 35.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 03:40 PM
Is Jamal Mashburn busy?

Scott D
2/13/2008, 03:59 PM
I hear Roy Tarpley still wants to ball.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 04:00 PM
sweet!

Get brad Davis off the TV broadcast and we are cooking!

Beef
2/13/2008, 04:10 PM
Band of Horses - Detlef Schrempf

Wait. Wrong thread and decade.

MextheBulldog
2/13/2008, 04:22 PM
Well, it's something. This team was heading nowhere fast as PHX and LA both upgraded. But it does reek of a little desperation. Now they gotta find a bruiser to replace Diop, unless Malik Allen is that guy - but never heard of him...

Scott D
2/13/2008, 04:27 PM
it's not Malik Allen. Maybe they can also go get Mikey Moore ;)

Beef
2/13/2008, 04:29 PM
Malik is a big body that gets 6 fouls a game. So I guess that makes him another Dampier without the big contract.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 05:04 PM
I hear Roy Tarpley still wants to ball.

Roy Tarpley still wants to snort crack

Scott D
2/13/2008, 05:06 PM
silly rabbit you don't snort crack.

Supposedly he's been clean for a few years.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 05:23 PM
Malik is a big body that gets 6 fouls a game. So I guess that makes him another Dampier without the big contract.

So he's Diop.

Cool.

Scott D
2/13/2008, 05:26 PM
shoulda tried for Jason Collins if you wanted to go big and useless ;)

I'll have to query my dad about this trade. As a Nets season ticket holder he's been pretty harsh about the team the past few years.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 05:29 PM
silly rabbit you don't snort crack.

Supposedly he's been clean for a few years.

I know..Not by experience..

Plus I m more of a James Donaldson guy and Pre-piston Mark Aguirre

GrapevineSooner
2/13/2008, 06:15 PM
Sign Mike Iuzzolino and you might as well just hand deliver the Larry O'Brien trophy to Dallas.

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 06:39 PM
Stack is pretty sure he's coming back:

"Now I think it's pretty much a done deal," Stackhouse told The Associated Press.

Stackhouse added that he may be able to rejoin Dallas within 30 days, an indication the Nets would buy out his contract.

"I feel great. I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back," he said. "I ain't going nowhere."

JohnnyMack
2/13/2008, 09:18 PM
Devean George has blocked the trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 09:18 PM
wow

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 09:21 PM
I bet stackhouse is ****ed. He was about to get a HUGE check and 30 days off.

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2008, 09:24 PM
how on earth do they write that kind of crap into a one year contract with a spare swingman?

ugh, i bet he hears a few boos at the AAC

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 09:30 PM
how on earth do they write that kind of crap into a one year contract with a spare swingman?

ugh, i bet he hears a few boos at the AAC

Unbelievable. I just read CJ miles is a spare gaurd for Utah has the same deal.

Curly Bill
2/13/2008, 10:18 PM
Devean George has blocked the trade.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3244818

I wouldn't want to go to Jersey either. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/13/2008, 10:21 PM
a scrub blocking the trade..you know everybody is giving him hell

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2008, 11:55 PM
Good thing every local station ran with trade at 10:00

GrapevineSooner
2/14/2008, 12:15 AM
It's not written into his contract. It's a CBA stipulation that allows players with one-year contracts to have a NTC due to the Bird Rights implications.

I realize his agent is looking out for his client. But Devean George is a role player and no team is going to break the freaking bank to sign a role player.

If anything, he's costing himself extra playing time to pad stats for his next contract. And in time, I think he'll come to that realization and the deal will get done.

soonerinabilene
2/14/2008, 09:46 AM
If you are going to block a trade like this, you might want to do better than going 0-11 in your next game. Freaking idiot.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2008, 09:55 AM
Yeah, that was bad. Hopefully his agent will get here, talk some sense into him, and allow the trade.

Scott D
2/14/2008, 01:53 PM
I can sorta understand George's point. He's trying to protect the bank he's scheduled to make this year. This goes through when his agent assures him that he won't be losing any of his cash.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2008, 02:58 PM
i agree.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2008, 12:23 PM
Way to go Stack!!!!! :mad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3247183

Sources: Stackhouse's hint at return to Big D raises eyebrows

By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
(Archive)

Devean George's refusal to consent to being traded to the New Jersey Nets is not the only hindrance to the Jason Kidd-to-Dallas deal, according to several league sources.

Although there has been no public comment from the NBA on the matter, sources say that league officials are not pleased with Jerry Stackhouse's brazen announcement that he would soon return for a Mavericks playoff run if traded to New Jersey.

"I get 30 days to rest, then I'll be right back,'' Stackhouse told The Associated Press on Wednesday in response to the proposed trade. "I ain't going nowhere."

Stackhouse is referring to the widely reported assumption that New Jersey would immediately buy him out of his contract, which would allow him to re-sign with another team. Stackhouse's preference is to return to Dallas, but according to league rules he'd have to wait at least 30 days.

The 30-day rule was added to the league's collective bargaining agreement as a response to a trade between Boston and Atlanta in 2005. In that deal, Boston sent Gary Payton to Atlanta to reacquire Antoine Walker with the understanding that the Hawks would immediately waive Payton, who then re-signed with Boston three days later.

The league frowned on this move, and instituted the 30-day rule. By flouting the rule so publicly, Stackhouse may have given the league no choice but to eliminate him from the deal or prevent the Mavericks from re-signing him.

"If Stackhouse had kept quiet, the league wouldn't have been able to prove anything,'' one Western Conference executive said. "Now, it's obvious that he talked to Mark Cuban about coming back to the Mavericks.''

One executive said the league is looking into the matter and could very well block Stackhouse from being involved in the trade. That could be a deal-breaker, because Cuban definitely wants Stackhouse back.

"Obviously, George needs to give his consent for the deal to happen, but the Stackhouse thing could now be a bigger problem than George,'' a person with knowledge of the teams' trade negotiations said.

Another executive said team owners have been calling commissioner David Stern to complain about the Stackhouse part of the deal and that several GMs would be incensed if he allows the trade to go through with Stackhouse in it.

"Every GM from a potential playoff team in the Western Conference is complaining about this,'' the executive said. "If the league allows this trade to go through, it'll have a major credibility issue on its hands. Our collective bargaining agreement's not worth anything if this goes through.''

Meanwhile, George's agent, Mark Bartelstein, told 1050 ESPN New York's Andrew Marchand that George would consider the trade if it would improve his situation.

"If he felt like his playing opportunity would be so much better in New Jersey than Dallas [he would consider it,]" Bartelstein said Friday morning. "He is starting in Dallas for a championship contender. New Jersey is rebuilding. He would have to give up his Larry Bird [free agent rights.] It has nothing to do with the Nets or not wanting to go to New Jersey."

Scott D
2/15/2008, 12:30 PM
nobody ever gave Jerry credit for being bright. Talented yes, bright no.

Sooner_Bob
2/15/2008, 01:31 PM
Wow . . . Jerry must have misremembered the rules.

GrapevineSooner
2/15/2008, 06:17 PM
Neither George nor Stack appear to be very bright.

Stack for obvious reasons, even though I'm certain that if the NBA tried to block him from resigning with the Mavs, the player's union was almost certainly file a grievance on his behalf.

As for George, I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that Bird Rights would somehow come into play for him considering:

A) He's a role player

B) He's ****ed off the organization by blocking a trade for Jason Kidd.

C) His Bird Right's are worthless if the Mavericks don't resign him or include him in a Sign-And-Trade.

And considering Point B, whatever makes you think Mark Cuban would want to do Devean a favor and utilize him in a sign-and-trade this summer?

And yes, Devean, you're getting minutes now. In case you haven't noticed you idiot, it's because both Stack and Harris have been out of the lineup lately. Once they both come back, your *** gets parked at the end of the bench for the rest of the season.

And so does your leverage this upcoming offseason.

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2008, 06:35 PM
Harris gives the Spurs more trouble than Jason Kidd ever has.

Diop hasn't been kind to the Spurs either.

Curly Bill
2/15/2008, 09:37 PM
Can't say I'm too disapponited at this trade being held up.

Beef
2/15/2008, 09:43 PM
Harris gives the Spurs more trouble than Jason Kidd ever has.

Diop hasn't been kind to the Spurs either.
Which doesn't do the Mavs any good if they lose in the first round anyway.

jk the sooner fan
2/15/2008, 11:34 PM
JJT wrote a pretty scathing article in the DMN on how bad the Mavs will look if they dont find a way to make this trade work, and for once I agree with him

how on earth the Mavs float a trade proposal to the league without checking first with George to see if he would accept it, and how they dont tell Stackhouse to keep his fool mouth shut

just really **** poor management, and its surprising because Cuban is normally pretty savvy with stuff like this

bri
2/16/2008, 12:28 AM
At this point, the only thing getting traded here is fail for lose.

Scott D
2/16/2008, 08:58 PM
not to mention now ATLANTA has made the Mavs look bad by making a deal for Mike Bibby work.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/16/2008, 09:08 PM
Atlanta with playoff hopes...thats just amazing

soonerinabilene
2/19/2008, 12:20 AM
Per espnews, Van Horn has agreed to come out of retirement to make the new trade work.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 09:29 AM
Deal is done, just waiting on league approval. Van Horn was smart to never officially file his retirements papers for a free $4MM payday like today.

Supposedly Kidd is traveling to Dallas today.

Curly Bill
2/19/2008, 09:53 AM
Deal is done, just waiting on league approval. Van Horn was smart to never officially file his retirements papers for a free $4MM payday like today.

Supposedly Kidd is traveling to Dallas today.

I'd sure be willing to "not retire" for 4 million. ;)

GrapevineSooner
2/19/2008, 01:40 PM
That whole thing with KVH makes these trade rules a farce.

Anyway, I'm glad to get the deal done finally. Not convinced this gamble will work as I think Dallas' problem areas lie elsewhere and not at point guard. But I never was convinced that Devin could become near the player of Kidd's ability.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 02:44 PM
That whole thing with KVH makes these trade rules a farce.

Anyway, I'm glad to get the deal done finally. Not convinced this gamble will work as I think Dallas' problem areas lie elsewhere and not at point guard. But I never was convinced that Devin could become near the player of Kidd's ability.

Ditto. All the experts keeps saying we should have gone after a big man.

Okay, which big man could we have gotten, that was available, would have made a difference? I'm sure we can find another Diop caliber player to pair with Dampier.

bri
2/19/2008, 03:30 PM
I only support this trade if it somehow results in the return of Pops Mensah-Bonsu. Otherwise, only a title will make up for all the lost revenue now that they can't sell "Diop it like it's hot" shirts. :D

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 03:45 PM
HEH

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 03:50 PM
Well its a blockbuster deal that will shoot them all the way into the 2nd round of the playoffs

bri
2/19/2008, 03:54 PM
Whatever gets 'em past some .500 team for a change. :D

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 03:55 PM
:mad: X 2

jk the sooner fan
2/19/2008, 04:07 PM
i'm all for the trade

GrapevineSooner
2/19/2008, 04:08 PM
I will admit that from a mental toughness standpoint, it's an upgrade.

jk the sooner fan
2/19/2008, 04:13 PM
i also think he quickly takes some form of leadership on this team which i think free's Dirk up to be what he does best.

we need a backup for Dampier - if we can get somebody like Diop, then I think we are as competitive as anybody - especially since we have George and Stackhouse - while they are role players, those are roles we would have lost

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 05:04 PM
I ll chip in 12 bucks for Popeye Jones to come out of retirement

bri
2/19/2008, 06:45 PM
It's always a bad sign when "leadership" isn't part of what your reigning MVP does best. :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 06:47 PM
Yeah..that was pretty evident last year..Where is Rolando Blackmon when you need him?

soonerinabilene
2/19/2008, 08:07 PM
On espn they were saying that by doing this the mavs are showing that letting Nash go was a mistake. I dont think this was needed to show that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/19/2008, 08:17 PM
The mistake was giving up on Whang Zhizhi

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 08:54 PM
We managed to get to the Finals just fine without Nash. Nash wasn't gonna win any MVP's here. How many finals has Nash played in?

Scott D
2/19/2008, 08:58 PM
The most amusing part of this trade is that the Mavs are still "stuck" with Devean George :D

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 09:04 PM
rather be stuck with George than Trenton Hassle.

Scott D
2/19/2008, 09:05 PM
you'll probably get Hassle back in the summer ;)

soonerinabilene
2/19/2008, 09:07 PM
We managed to get to the Finals just fine without Nash. Nash wasn't gonna win any MVP's here. How many finals has Nash played in?

With Nash, I think the Mavs dominate Miami in the finals, and make it past Golden State in the first round. I think they needed one more year to gel together as a team with Nash as the leader. Cuban got impatient, imo. Im probably wrong, but thats my take on it.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 09:13 PM
Everyone's got their opinion, but I don't think they would have made it past SA that year with Nash.

Scott D
2/19/2008, 09:20 PM
the Mavs shoulda got AI last year ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/19/2008, 09:42 PM
has Nash made it to the finals?

dont think so

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 09:47 PM
I believe that the Nash-less mavs actually beat Nash to get to said finals.

Scott D
2/19/2008, 09:51 PM
The Mavs and Kidd and AI have something in common ;)

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 10:00 PM
:mad:

soonerinabilene
2/19/2008, 11:20 PM
I believe that the Nash-less mavs actually beat Nash to get to said finals.

And its hard to argue against that fact. But the Mavs as a whole were better than the Suns as a whole. The Mavs continued to get better as they adjusted to Avery, even without Nash. My thought is imagine how much better they could have with the improvements they made those two years plus Nash. Now, I do concede that those improvements MAY not have happened with Nash on the team, but I for one think that they would have.

colleyvillesooner
2/19/2008, 11:36 PM
Nash doesn't play enough D to play the point in Avery's defense.

Harris was quick enough to draw a TON of charges, and Kidd is alot better defensive player than he gets credit for. Only PG to make the all NBA team last year I believe, and that if voted on by the coaches.

Ash
2/19/2008, 11:52 PM
So Kidd can D up. But they lose one of their big guys, most other west teams had or have added frontcourt help.

I just don't see that it's a great trade for the Mavs. Someone explain this one to me.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 08:08 AM
the trade was about leadership and mental toughness, something this team sorely needed. Dirk just isn't wired to be that guy. Name me a Euro that is.

The loss of Diop is being WAY overrated by the national media and being eaten up by the people that only watch that. (not saying that is you) Malik Allen is only 2" shorrer and 25lbs lighter than Diop. Diop's minutes had gone WAY down in the last two months. He'd still get an occasional 16 min game, but the last to months were peppered with 5, 8, 6, 10 min games. I would have believed the big man talk if Dampier would have been the one who left.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mavs land a backup center before the deadline though. BUt I don't think it will be hard to replace Diop's minutes and 3 pts/5 reb per game.

GrapevineSooner
2/20/2008, 09:54 AM
So basically what you're saying is, "I think we can find somebody to score three points and get 5 boards a game."

:D

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2008, 10:00 AM
You didn't need Diop for those games.

You needed Diop for specific games.

Curly Bill
2/20/2008, 10:10 AM
the trade was about leadership and mental toughness, something this team sorely needed. Dirk just isn't wired to be that guy. Name me a Euro that is.

ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

...and I was cool on this trade at first, but I think the above statement nails it. Still not sure it gets the Mavs where they want to go, but maybe it's worth a shot.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 10:12 AM
You didn't need Diop for those games.

You needed someone like Diop for specific games.

fixed.

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2008, 10:13 AM
denial isn't just a river in Egypt.;)

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 10:18 AM
Let's just look at the last 17 NBA Titles

Duncan
Shaq
Duncan
B. Wallace
Duncan
Shaq
Shaq
Shaq
Duncan
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Olajuwon
Olajuwon
Jordan
Jordan
Jordan

It's not like there is a big man out there that would have put that Mavs in any better shape than this trade.

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2008, 10:23 AM
Wallace is glaring a bit. Those other teams were built around their big man.

To get by the Spurs you don't need A star at the big man. You need depth and fouls. Diop was a solid guy that could eat up a lot of minutes defending without just being a road cone.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 10:26 AM
Wallace is glaring a bit. Those other teams were built around their big man.

To get by the Spurs you don't need A star at the big man. You need depth and fouls. Diop was a solid guy that could eat up a lot of minutes defending without just being a road cone.

Yeah, but he averaged 10 and 13 in that Finals.

We'll see. We may not have to play you guys. :D

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2008, 10:30 AM
You couldn't possibly go out in the first round again.......

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 10:32 AM
dick. Now I remember why I hate you. Do NOT come to the spring game.

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 10:35 AM
heh

I mean, this has to be the real life equivalent of one of those Nigerian e-mail scams:

Dear Keith Van Horn,

I know that this message will come to you as a surprise. I am the Owner with the Mavericks, of Dallas, Texas. And HDNet.I Hope that you will not expose or betray this trust and confident that I am about to repose on you for the mutual benefit of our both families.

I need your urgent assistance in transferring the sum of ($4)million to your account within 10 or 14 game days. This money has been dormant for years in our Salary Cap without claim.I want the bank to release the money to you as the nearest person to our basketball team without notrade clause, Mr.Devean George who refused trade along with his supposed next of kin in an a contract, he is a deceased to me. Serious, they will fish his body from lake because of his distubrance of transgression.

I don't want the money to go into New Jersey's hand as an abandoned fund. So this is the reason why I am contacting you so that the bank can release the money to you as the next of position to the jerk small forward. Please I would like you to keep this proposal as a top secret and delete it if you are not interested. League offices frown on not sending real player so keep the fact that you will not suite up of the utmost secrecy.

Upon receipt of your reply, I will give you full details on how the trade will be executed and also note that you will have 100% of the above mentioned sum if you agree to handle this business with me.

I am expecting your urgent response as soon as you receive my message.

Best Regard.
Mr.Mark Cuban

sanantoniosooner
2/20/2008, 10:35 AM
I know what name Mark Cuban posts under now;)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 11:47 AM
Dont worrry guys..the Lakers will make sure your teams are both done early

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 12:02 PM
I'd get Bynum back in playing shape before I started making clams like that. It's never good when and 8 week prognosis turns into 11.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 12:10 PM
Luke Walton is the one you should be worried about

colleyvillesooner
2/20/2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, man...thanks. I needed a good laugh.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2008, 12:13 PM
Im just glad they have other people for me to like now...I m a big fan of a team that I hate most of the players..how does that work out?

Scott D
2/20/2008, 07:56 PM

so who exactly got leadership and mental toughness in this trade?

Ash
2/21/2008, 12:59 AM
CP3 pwned Kidd and Kidd's D was laughable. So much for that trade at this point.

CP3>>>>Kidd

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 08:47 AM
wow, 1 game and a "at this point" statement.

This trade won't even be able to be judged as a success until the end of next year.

JohnnyMack
2/21/2008, 10:48 AM

This trade won't even be able to be judged as a success until the end of the first round of the playoffs.

Fixed.

:D

GrapevineSooner
2/21/2008, 11:14 AM
I like CP3.

But let's wait until he leads one of his teams to a playoff round win before breaking out the annointing oil. ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 11:17 AM

This trade won't even be able to be judged as a success until the end of next year.

Hey..Why are you Mavs fans so touchy?:D

Ash
2/21/2008, 12:56 PM
Gasol hit the ground running with the Lakers...

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 01:09 PM
Gasol hit the ground running with the Lakers...

I'd bet the 4 is a little easier to pick up in a new system than point guard.

And it probably helped with the Lakers playing 1 team over .500 in his first 8 games.

Ash
2/21/2008, 01:57 PM
I'd bet the 4 is a little easier to pick up in a new system than point guard.

And it probably helped with the Lakers playing 1 team over .500 in his first 8 games.

Offensive miscues, okay, gets a pass on that.

The so-called defensive prowess should have been there, though.

It might work out in the end, but I ain't feelin' it.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 02:09 PM
Offensive miscues, okay, gets a pass on that.

The so-called defensive prowess should have been there, though.

It might work out in the end, but I ain't feelin' it.

I never said he would completely shut down all other point guards.

I think he just gets a bad wrap for being a worse defender than he's made out to be.

Also, CP3 is a bad man. I get that.

Scott D
2/21/2008, 07:03 PM
I think Jefferson's defense made Kidd's defense look better.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 08:11 PM
yeah, I'm sure thats what all those coaches thought when they voted him to the all NBA defensive team. :D

Scott D
2/21/2008, 08:22 PM
Those teams are a joke...kinda like the All Big-12 team :)

Curly Bill
2/21/2008, 09:19 PM
When did Kidd develop a rep as a bad defender? I admit I don't follow the NBA real close anymore, but Kidd came into the league regarded as a superior defender and I never knew he had lost that rep.

edit...course he is 35 now and that sorta slows a fella down :D

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 09:28 PM
Those teams are a joke...kinda like the All Big-12 team :)
Whatever helps you make your point! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2008, 09:56 PM
ya'll take it easy on colley...he's going thru a hard time

GrapevineSooner
2/28/2008, 10:48 PM
Great game tonight down in San Antonio.

Too bad the refs' balls mysteriously became detached with 34 seconds left. :mad:

And memo to Avery, I don't think we traded for Kidd so he could sit on the bench in the final 34 seconds of the game with our team down by two.

So what if he doesn't quite know the end-of-the-game playbook. Let him do what he knows how to do naturally. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

colleyvillesooner
2/28/2008, 11:17 PM
great game. I'll take that close a game in SA with a new PG anytime. Congrats SAS.

GrapevineSooner
2/28/2008, 11:21 PM
Spurs made the plays at the end to win. Gotta give them that.

Just really confused as to why you don't have your starting PG in the game at the end down by two. Makes absolutely no sense.

Of course, Pop makes some befuddling moves, too.

Like continuing to play Robert Horry. ;)

Also, can we get that trade committee that Pop suggested put together in time to block Brent Barry from coming back to the Spurs? :D

sanantoniosooner
2/28/2008, 11:31 PM
All I know is that Brent Barry is way smarter than Jerry Stackhouse;)

colleyvillesooner
2/29/2008, 12:18 AM
All I know is that Brent Barry is way smarter because of Jerry Stackhouse;)
Fixed.

GrapevineSooner
2/29/2008, 12:18 AM
All I know is that Brent Barry is way smarter than Jerry Stackhouse;)

Certainly true. And I don't know how much of a difference maker Barry will truly be.

Reading Spurs blogs like Poundingtherock.com, it doesn't look like Spurs fans have a high opinion of Barry as it is.

And if Fin's coming off the bench to hit the big 3's (like he did tonight), it makes me wonder just how many minutes Pop would be willing to give Brent once the playoffs begin.

colleyvillesooner
2/29/2008, 07:11 AM
Finley ain't gonna be doing that consistently, specially I'm the playoffs. ;)

sanantoniosooner
2/29/2008, 09:47 AM
Finley has a championship now.

Didn't you get the memo?

And Barry is pretty well liked. He's a great guy in the locker room. Anyone who doesn't like him has a pretty narrow view of what he brings to the team.

colleyvillesooner
2/29/2008, 09:56 AM
And Barry is pretty well liked. He's a great guy in the locker room. Anyone who doesn't like him has a pretty narrow view of what he brings to the team.

They let you in the locker room to observe? That's pretty cool. :D

sanantoniosooner
2/29/2008, 10:01 AM
They let you in the locker room to observe? That's pretty cool. :D
let?

They request it.

supabuff
2/29/2008, 10:52 AM
The mavs and the Suns will regret both trades both will not work out and will be worse for it in the end.... I am a suns fan and I am ****ed.

GrapevineSooner
2/29/2008, 02:30 PM
At least the Stars are still on fire.

And Brad Richards took all of one game to put his name in the Stars recordbook for most assists in one game. :D

NormanPride
2/29/2008, 03:43 PM
I was happy with the game. Dirk did some soccer-grade flopping, and Bowen did some Holeyfield-grade hackin'. :D Classic Spurs/Mavs.

colleyvillesooner
2/29/2008, 03:51 PM
heh

Scott D
2/29/2008, 04:21 PM
Finley has a championship now.

Didn't you get the memo?

Brent's biggest problem is that he has to live with the fact that he's related to Rick and Jon. :D

GrapevineSooner
2/29/2008, 04:29 PM
I was happy with the game. Dirk did some Manu-grade flopping, and Bowen did some Holeyfield-grade hackin'. :D Classic Spurs/Mavs.

Fixed ;)

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 10:56 AM
Lakers-Mavs game was a great game to watch...Kobe with 52...Dampier trying earn a little of his paycheck....

I think being on the All Defensive team in the NBA is like being the Defensive MVP of Arena football...

colleyvillesooner
3/3/2008, 11:14 AM
It was a great game. Good to see Dirk make that clutch shot to send it to overtime. He was great in the 4th and OT after struggling the first 3 Q.s

Kobe is, well, Kobe.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2008, 11:23 AM
As a Lakers fan, I ve dislike Kobe for a long time but he seems to be a better teammate than he used to be.I hope the Andrew Bynum situation taught him a lesson..I dont like Lamar Odom...I dont like Luke Walton....I guess I can get a Gasol Jersey

GrapevineSooner
3/6/2008, 11:43 PM
Josh Howard has to be the dumbest player in the NBA.

I've never seen somebody commit so many freaking unforced errors on the defensive end.

And for the 28th consecutive year, it looks like us lifelong Mavs fans will be watching another year go by without a title. And I'm sick of it. :mad:

Ash
3/7/2008, 01:56 AM
Josh Howard has to be the dumbest player in the NBA.

I've never seen somebody commit so many freaking unforced errors on the defensive end.

And for the 28th consecutive year, it looks like us lifelong Mavs fans will be watching another year go by without a title. And I'm sick of it. :mad:

The Mavs will get a title when the owner stops treating the team like a fantasy league team.

Cuban needs to fade into the background and never be heard of again, but unfortunately for mavs fans they have the Daniel Snyder/Al Davis of basketball owners.

GrapevineSooner
3/8/2008, 10:48 AM
The Mavs will get a title when the owner stops treating the like his personal sounding board for everything that goes wrong with his team.

Fixed. ;)

I don't know that I buy your real assumption, but I don't think he helps his team in the PR light or the officiating light by lambasting the refs from his courtside seat.

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2008, 12:37 PM
Fixed. ;)

I don't know that I buy your real assumption, but I don't think he helps his team in the PR light or the officiating light by lambasting the refs from his courtside seat.

The wife hooked up some work seats for next weeks game against the Bobcats that are just on the other side of the goal from Cuban, a couple rows back. I'll let him know we disapprove. :D

bri
3/9/2008, 09:37 PM
We'll see. We may not have to play you guys. :D

At this rate, we may not have to play anyone. :mad:

GrapevineSooner
3/20/2008, 10:09 PM
I think I'm just going stop watching the NBA altogether after tonight.

If it's not one thing keeping Dallas from beating a playoff team, it's another thing. Or another thing.

Or another...

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

P.S. I know J-Ho's had a tough year off the court. But that's no excuse for his mind bogglingly low basketball IQ

Scott D
3/21/2008, 06:40 AM
Nets looking pretty decent of late...hrmmmmmm.

Beef
3/21/2008, 08:55 AM
I think this is more about Avery suffocating whatever point guard is in town than the trade itself. Devin wasn't going to reach his potential in Dallas any more than Kidd will be allowed to play to his potential.

GrapevineSooner
3/21/2008, 09:22 AM
I think this is more about Avery suffocating whatever point guard is in town than the trade itself. Devin wasn't going to reach his potential in Dallas any more than Kidd will be allowed to play to his potential.

Well, I think Kidd will be allowed to at some point.

When Cuban fires Avery.

Which isn't necessarily a knock on Avery. Just that I have a theory about hard a** coaches like Avery. You'd better have success with your methods (i.e. winning titles like Pop has down in San Antonio) or your players will tune you out.

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2008, 10:39 AM
The town is turning on Avery.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 01:25 PM
Ugh, just saw Sampson sitting right behind Pops on the Spurs bench.

Mavs by 4 at the half. how will we break my heart this time.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 01:49 PM
Dirk may have just broken his ankle or lower leg. Could be ok, but that was nasty looking watching it snap back under his leg like that. Udoka came down on it kinda with his leg (not dirty at all) and it folded his leg under him.

Just showed him walking to the locker room with a guy on each side, putting zero pressure on it.

Bad. News.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 01:50 PM
Michele Tafoya just reported he tried to put weight on it in the hallway, and shook his head and said "No way" and the carted him the rest of the way. :(

EDIT: then just to make her look bad, ABC shows him walking from the cart into the X-ray room :D

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 06:25 PM
Mark Stein reports that Dirk is out at least two week.

I don;t like our playoff chances with the schedule we have left without Dirk.

GrapevineSooner
3/23/2008, 06:49 PM
This team is done.

And we should have traded Josh Howard instead of Devin.

bri
3/23/2008, 07:56 PM
Well, pack it in. Time to start the debate over which is more disappointing: A shocking first-round loss or not even making the playoffs? :mad:

JohnnyMack
3/23/2008, 10:16 PM
You guys are the biggest gluttons for punishment I've ever seen.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2008, 11:00 PM
We're mavs fans, it what we do. :O

GrapevineSooner
3/24/2008, 08:57 AM
Combined with the Stars recent struggles and the fact that no Dallas team has won a playoff game/round since June 3, 2006, you might as well call this city Dalloss right now.

colleyvillesooner
3/27/2008, 09:27 PM
Yet another post 1st quarter disappearance by Josh Howard. Embarassing. He's no longer "untradeable" to me.

Scott D
3/28/2008, 11:56 AM
talked to my dad last night (Nets fan) he said in the last four 'big' moves here's how the Nets did.

Letting Kenyon Martin leave for Denver - dumb move
Letting Mikki Moore leave for Sacramento - dumber move
Rod Thorn announcing that Lawrence Frank will return next year - dumbest move
Getting rid of Jason Kidd - great move

He really enjoyed the meltdown last night to the Nuggets (a team he was a fan of back in the Alex English/Fat Lever era).

GrapevineSooner
4/2/2008, 11:48 PM
OK, so maybe this team isn't quite done yet. Still not sure if they have what it takes to win a first round series. Let alone a title.

But consider last year, Golden State ended Dallas' season with a 111-86 whipping. Tonight, the Mavs might have put the biggest dent in the Warriors post-season hopes with a whipping to the tune of...

111-86.

Weird.

Beef
4/3/2008, 02:21 PM
I guess the Mavs could be the first team ever to lose to a #8 seed as a 1 seed, then beat a #1 seed as a #8 seed the next year.

bri
4/3/2008, 02:29 PM
Heh. THAT'S THE SPIRIT! :D

GrapevineSooner
4/5/2008, 12:40 AM
And they revert back to the lovable losers that they are.

Thanks in part to a dumb tech on Josh and some very questionable coaching decisions by one Avery Johnson.

colleyvillesooner
4/5/2008, 10:05 AM
And they revert back to the lovable losers that they are.

Thanks in part to a dumb tech on Josh and some very questionable coaching decisions by one Avery Johnson.
I wasn't that ****ed about this loss. Look how the spurs played in the road at Utah with first place on the line.

Some questionable no calls near the end but the two that killed me where the Dirk TO down two and the Kidd inbound to Damp back to Kidd with 9.0. left and we HAD to have a 3.

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2008, 05:47 PM
Well, not often you see the Suns score in single digits in a quarter.

But it happened today. And thus, the Mavs draw their fans back in just when it appeared they were about to be written off.

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2008, 11:46 PM
Everytime I think I'm out...

Great win today. Team has shown a lot in the last three games.

Beef
4/7/2008, 09:09 AM
Heh. THAT'S THE SPIRIT! :D

My 2 favorite pro teams are the Mavs and Rangers. All I've ever known is wishful thinking.

stoops the eternal pimp
4/28/2008, 08:17 PM
Going back and reading this thread is very entertaining

GrapevineSooner
4/29/2008, 03:21 PM
One day until Josh Howard Pot Smoking Season opens.

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2008, 03:26 PM
:mad:

What a ****ing idiot.

tulsaoilerfan
4/29/2008, 09:47 PM
This team needs to be totally blown up and start over from scratch, and Josh Howard and his bong should be the first to go; what a moron

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2008, 10:07 PM
Fitting end to this insane season.

Full focus to the Stars now.

I got a real bad feeling about where this basketball team is headed...

JohnnyMack
4/29/2008, 10:26 PM
And the fail is complete.

colleyvillesooner
4/29/2008, 10:34 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3933/palpatineep4.gif (http://imageshack.us)
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3933/palpatineep4.c441472182.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=143&i=palpatineep4.gif)

Lose to the Hornets and your journey to the fail will be complete

bri
4/29/2008, 11:09 PM
I got a real bad feeling about where this basketball team is headed...

Dude, it's the Mavericks. They're headed back to normal. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/30/2008, 01:36 PM
Avery Fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

JohnnyMack
4/30/2008, 01:55 PM
I wonder if Cuban just told him to go ahead and stay in NOLA? :D

Beef
4/30/2008, 03:02 PM
Avery Fired.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3375306

I forgot that Damp was signed through 2011. Avery should have been fired the second he suggested the Mavs should sign Damp.